Converting 30 Day Visa To 1 Year Non Imm B V

Clarification/correction on the following information would be sincerely appreciated:

1. I have just entered Thailand on a 30 day entry visa (I am a UK citizen, 39 years old).

2. Immigration Bangkok will convert my 30 day visa into a Non Immigrant B Visa for 17500 baht. (20000.00 baht through an agency given to me by Bangkok immigration should I not wish to travel there).

3. My Non Immigrant B visa will then be extended for 1 year.

4. I then choose to have either a single entry visa or multiply entry. The respective costs being 1500 and 4500 baht.

5. I wish to opt for a multiple entry visa and have been informed that each time I leave Thailand I have to apply for a re-entry permit before each trip.

6. Should I not wish to exercise leaving the country I have been informed by Immigration that I simply report each 90 days to the said office to fill in a form acknowledging my presence in the country for another 90 days or up until such time as I wish to go abroad, then I would revert to point 5.

7.On re-entry to Thailand I will be stamped 90 days in my passport.

8. This type of visa requires a letter from a perspective employer. Immigration have directed me to an agency that will provide the necessary letter and take care of the processing as per point number '2' for 20000 baht.

I would be grateful if anyone has been through this process or has any accurate comments on the above, rather than mere conjecture.

Finally I was told the process takes 25 days.

Thanks in advance.

Joe.

Clarification/correction on the following information would be sincerely appreciated:

1. I have just entered Thailand on a 30 day entry visa (I am a UK citizen, 39 years old).

2. Immigration Bangkok will convert my 30 day visa into a Non Immigrant B Visa for 17500 baht. (20000.00 baht through an agency given to me by Bangkok immigration should I not wish to travel there).

4. I then choose to have either a single entry visa or multiply entry. The respective costs being 1500 and 4500 baht.

5. I wish to opt for a multiple entry visa and have been informed that each time I leave Thailand I have to apply for a re-entry permit before each trip.

6. Should I not wish to exercise leaving the country I have been informed by Immigration that I simply report each 90 days to the said office to fill in a form acknowledging my presence in the country for another 90 days or up until such time as I wish to go abroad, then I would revert to point 5.

8. This type of visa requires a letter from a perspective employer. Immigration have directed me to an agency that will provide the necessary letter and take care of the processing as per point number '2' for 20000 baht.

I would be grateful if anyone has been through this process or has any accurate comments on the above, rather than mere conjecture.

Thanks in advance.

Joe.

The visa process that you outline is highly illegal and you enter into the deal at your own risk. A 30 day permit to enter cannot be converted to a non-immigrant visa for a start. My advice is to give it a big miss.

Thanks in advance.

Joe.

The visa process that you outline is highly illegal and you enter into the deal at your own risk. A 30 day permit to enter cannot be converted to a non-immigrant visa for a start. My advice is to give it a big miss.

I take on board what you are saying though I would be interested in other peoples experiences.

For example if I bought a condo today for 3 million baht or more I can have my 30 day permit to stay changed into a Non Immigrant O visa. Though you have to do the conversion within 5 days of purchasing the condo. I wanted to do it this way, but as I bought my condo over a year ago I was informed I could not go this route. This information has been corroborated by both Bangkok and Pattaya Immigration.

Notwithstanding that you may be right and the Immigration people are trying as you suggest to lead me down a path that is highly illegal.

The letter offering employment raises a red flag for me regarding the Non Immigrant B. It does seem strange though that both offices are giving out the same advice.

Anyone else care to comment please?

I/d agree with Dr .P you cant convert a 30 day on arrival stamp to anything as far as i know........it is what it is an exemption from obtaining a visa available to citizens of 41 countries. ...........however ive no doubt anything can be done (at a price) ..........my advise too would be to stay well clear.

I agree with Dr P, the conversion of the visa is a very doubtful process.

Better to buy your condo or get a firm offer of work, then go to Penang and apply for the Non Immigrant visa there.

Then you will definitely be on a legal footing.

Thanks for the advice thus far. Is the following correct:

1. If I acquire a 1 Year Non Immigrant B Visa in a embassy outside of Thailand I do not need a re-entry permit before each trip outside Thailand. I can also report to Immigration every 90 days if I do not want to leave the country.

2. Where I am confused is: I have been told for example, if I get a tourist visa in a embassy outside of Thailand and change that to a 90 day Non Immigrant B Visa in Thailand and then extend that to one year Non Immigrant B Visa also in Thailand, each time I leave the country I have to get a re-entry stamp before I leave Thailand.

Would someone be kind enough to explain why I do not need a re-entry permit if I opt for number '1' above?

It would appear that the info above about changing a 30 day permit to enter to a Non Imm B was incorrect. It would of been an under the table payment, they just neglected to mention that. I would rather get my visa the correct way:-)

Joe,

The procedure you outline above looks to be an ‘under the table’ arrangement and goes against the fundamentals of what I imagine even the most knowledgeable on this forum believe to be the current rules.

The first and most obvious point is how a 30 Day Tourist Visa Exemption can be ‘converted’ to a Non-Immigrant ‘B’ Visa. I believe that visa classifications can be converted in certain circumstances, but that does not seem to apply here.

The Tourist Visa Exemption merely allows you to stay in the Kingdom for 30 days: it is not a visa, so one wonders how it can be converted. It might be a different story if you had a Tourist Visa, but from what you say that is not the case.

It gets worse in as far as your application for a Non-Imm ‘B’ visa would be made under false pretences as the job you have supposedly been offered is de facto fictitious.

I have little doubt that you could get a multiple entry Non-Imm ‘B’ via this route. Anything is possible with corrupt officials, if such beings exist. :D

The fee required suggests it is hardly above-board, even without the agent's cut.

There is, however, more.

As far as I am aware, on a initial multiple Non-Imm ‘B’ you have to leave the country every 90 days, despite the fact that your visa covers a twelve month period from the date you first arrive in the Kingdom. I thought it was along the lines of a multiple Tourist Visa, albeit for 90 not 60 day periods.

Would I be right in assuming you think you do not have to exit every 90 Days? The slant of your questions suggests you are thinking in terms of a 90 Day reporting requirement but perhaps I am reading too much into it.

I have little experience with multiple Non-Imm ‘B’ visas and am happy to be corrected for the sake of others as they need factual details of latest practices, but my understanding is that to stay in the Kingdom permanently for one year on such a visa requires an application made with a Work Permit, not the promise of a job whether real or not.

I somehow doubt that an automatic Work Permit is part of the deal? If it is, then you are about to skate on even thinner ice.

I know of no-one having never taken such a path as you are contemplating and I doubt have many others. Even if they have, I suspect they would not be prepared to prove it.

We shall of course see.

Just my two satang, but when you leave the country every 90 Days I would not like to be in your shoes at an Immigration Control point if an eager Officer tracked through your Passport and queried the validity of your visa, especially if the issuing Officer had moved on. :o

The route you are contemplating is one to be avoided in my view, but as the sayings go: “Up to you!” and “Caveat emptor!”

Agreeing with all the other responders here, I think it's highly illegal and obviously most irregular. Red flags popping up everywhere.

I have had a non-immigrant B (two, in total) for 1.7 years, and I have to leave the country every 90 days. Then I reenter, negating any need to 'report'. If I ever get a work permit, I think the 90 day leaving and reentering will be waived, but then I'll have to report my current address every 90 days.

You appear to be misinformed and confused. Why don't you search this website and thaivisa.com?

1. If I acquire a 1 Year Non Immigrant B Visa in a embassy outside of Thailand I do not need a re-entry permit before each trip outside Thailand. I can also report to Immigration every 90 days if I do not want to leave the country.

2. Where I am confused is: I have been told for example, if I get a tourist visa in a embassy outside of Thailand and change that to a 90 day Non Immigrant B Visa in Thailand and then extend that to one year Non Immigrant B Visa also in Thailand, each time I leave the country I have to get a re-entry stamp before I leave Thailand.

Would someone be kind enough to explain why I do not need a re-entry permit if I opt for number '1' above?

It would appear that the info above about changing a 30 day permit to enter to a Non Imm B was incorrect. It would of been an under the table payment, they just neglected to mention that. I would rather get my visa the correct way:-)

Joe.

With a US IP might you be a troller. ????????????? I think you well might be

Joe.

What is the matter with you. :o I am in Thailand using loxinfo, perhaps you do not know how to check IP's properly. :D

Would you like me to PM you either my email address or telephone number and you will see that I am in Thailand. In the meantime to quell your absurd paranoia here are the header details from your welcome/activation email.

Subject: Registration at Thailand Forum ( From Thailand Forum )

X-Priority: 3

X-Mailer: IPB PHP Mailer

Message-Id: <[email protected]>

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 02:04:06 +0700

X-host-thaivisa-net-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the ISP for more information

X-host-thaivisa-net-MailScanner: Found to be clean

X-host-thaivisa-net-MailScanner-SpamCheck:

X-MailScanner-From: [email protected]

X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report

X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - host.thaivisa.net

X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - ptty.loxinfo.co.th

X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [32005 32005] / [47 12]

X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - host.thaivisa.net

X-Source:

X-Source-Args:

X-Source-Dir:

Joe,

The procedure you outline above looks to be an ‘under the table’ arrangement and goes against the fundamentals of what I imagine even the most knowledgeable on this forum believe to be the current rules.

The first and most obvious point is how a 30 Day Tourist Visa Exemption can be ‘converted’ to a Non-Immigrant ‘B’ Visa. I believe that visa classifications can be converted in certain circumstances, but that does not seem to apply here.

The Tourist Visa Exemption merely allows you to stay in the Kingdom for 30 days: it is not a visa, so one wonders how it can be converted.  It might be a different story if you had a Tourist Visa, but from what you say that is not the case.

It gets worse in as far as your application for a Non-Imm ‘B’ visa would be made under false pretences as the job you have supposedly been offered is de facto fictitious.

I have little doubt that you could get a multiple entry Non-Imm ‘B’ via this route. Anything is possible with corrupt officials, if such beings exist.  :D

The fee required suggests it is hardly above-board, even without the agent's cut.

There is, however, more.

As far as I am aware, on a initial multiple Non-Imm ‘B’ you have to leave the country every 90 days, despite the fact that your visa covers a twelve month period from the date you first arrive in the Kingdom. I thought it was along the lines of a multiple Tourist Visa, albeit for 90 not 60 day periods.

Would I be right in assuming you think you do not have to exit every 90 Days? The slant of your questions suggests you are thinking in terms of a 90 Day reporting requirement but perhaps I am reading too much into it.

I have little experience with multiple Non-Imm ‘B’ visas and am happy to be corrected for the sake of others as they need factual details of latest practices, but my understanding is that to stay in the Kingdom permanently for one year on such a visa requires an application made with a Work Permit, not the promise of a job whether real or not.

I somehow doubt that an automatic Work Permit is part of the deal? If it is, then you are about to skate on even thinner ice.

I know of no-one having never taken such a path as you are contemplating and I doubt have many others. Even if they have, I suspect they would not be prepared to prove it.

We shall of course see.

Just my two satang, but when you leave the country every 90 Days I would not like to be in your shoes at an Immigration Control point if an eager Officer tracked through your Passport and queried the validity of your visa, especially if the issuing Officer had moved on.  :D

The route you are contemplating is one to be avoided in my view, but as the sayings go: “Up to you!” and “Caveat emptor!”

Phil,

Thank you very much you seem to have put things into a much clearer perspective. I will of course be avoiding the illegal route as that is not my way.

I have been getting information from many sources and trying to thread it into a straight forward solution was getting me confused. Especially since the agency that the Immigration recommended was muddying the waters so to speak.

The replies with the exception of Pong :o have been most helpful. I now know what I need to do. You seem to be very clued in, are you one of the moderators by chance?

Agreeing with all the other responders here, I think it's highly illegal and obviously most irregular.  Red flags popping up everywhere.

I have had a non-immigrant B (two, in total) for 1.7 years, and I have to leave the country every 90 days.  Then I reenter, negating any need to 'report'.  If I ever get a work permit, I think the 90 day leaving and reentering will be waived, but then I'll have to report my current address every 90 days.

You appear to be misinformed and confused.  Why don't you search this website and thaivisa.com?

You were indeed correct I was confused and being misinformed. Thanks to yourself and the other responders who I might add replied very swiftly I now know what to do.

As for using the search function, I will try that next time I have a question. This forum is a great resource indeed. :o

1. Depends whether it is a Non-Immigrant (any type) with muliple entry or single entry.

- Mulitple = You MUST leave the country every 90 days but no need to report your address to Immigration every 90 days. No need to get a re-entry permit either.

- Single = No need to leave the country (border-runs) but if you leave you must get a re-entry permit before you go or the remainder on your extension permit and visa it is based on becomes automatically invalid. Also you have to report your address to Immigration every 90 days.

ATTENTION: Reporting your place of residence has no influence to your visa and/or extension permit and ANYONE on a Non-Immigrant Visa of any type (includes also the people holding a work permit) staying continously on Thai soil for more than 90 days has to do the reporting.

A so-called visa on arrival (30 days) can NOT be changed to any type of visa. The holder MUST leave the country after 30 days. No extension or switch possible. This is not a real visa because a real visa can only be issued by an abroad Thai embassy or consulate. Only a real visa (even a 60 day tourist one) can be changed at Immigration in Bangkok, Soi Suan Plu, to a Non-Immigrant one.

2. The information indicated by Joe under point 2 is correct. When you have obtained your first extension permit for one year whether you still have to leave the country every 90 days or not depends whether the extension permit is based on a multiple or single entry Non-Immigrant Visa. Someone with a multiple enty Non-Immigrant does not need a re-entry permit because that person is FORCED to leave the country every 90 days. This forced leave is part of the package right from the beginning and therefore no need for a re-entry permit. Therefore "multiple" is preferred by people who leave the country on a regular base anyway (for example for business purposes) while others who have no intention to do so are better off with a single entry and just obtain a re-entry permit if actually a rare leaving is intended. However, the requirements for a single entry 1 year Non-Immigrant sparing you from the visa runs are much higher and one must qualify (either by work conditions and/or having appropriate funds).

This is just a very appreviated explanation but hope it helps to put some clearance on the issue.

Good luck,

Richard

Edited by Richard Hall

Joe.

What is the matter with you. :o I am in Thailand using loxinfo, perhaps you do not know how to check IP's properly. :D

Would you like me to PM you either my email address or telephone number and you will see that I am in Thailand. In the meantime to quell your absurd paranoia here are the header details from your welcome/activation email.

Subject: Registration at Thailand Forum ( From Thailand Forum )

X-Priority: 3

X-Mailer: IPB PHP Mailer

Message-Id:

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 02:04:06 +0700

X-host-thaivisa-net-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the ISP for more information

X-host-thaivisa-net-MailScanner: Found to be clean

X-host-thaivisa-net-MailScanner-SpamCheck:

X-MailScanner-From: [email protected]

X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report

X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - host.thaivisa.net

X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - ptty.loxinfo.co.th

X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [32005 32005] / [47 12]

X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - host.thaivisa.net

X-Source:

X-Source-Args:

X-Source-Dir:

A search of your IP reveals

Savvis

Org ID Savvi-3

3300 Regency Parkway

Cary NC 27511

US

I accept that it is a Loxinfo domain, but it appears to be a US address.

As many others are pointing out..

The 30 day cannot be converted into any other form of visa.. I myself may well go the 3 mil investment visa, I am currently on my last 60 day tourist and have been told I must do the conversion prior to the last day of the tourist visa (eg I cant make it a 90 day via extension) and if I screw up on timing (I am waiting on a 100k GPB debt that would be handy) I need to run to Penang or similar again to get another tourist visa as a 30 day visa on arrival will not do according to my local office..

2nd, it is my understanding that B visa's that allow 90 day reporting rather than 90 day visa runs are much much harder to get.. Back in the old days I had a munchen issued B visa for 90 days runs, I was told to make that 90 day reporting a proven tax history and WP would be needed..

That said I would welcome you PM'ing me the source of the info you are being told in BKK please.

As many others are pointing out..

The 30 day cannot be converted into any other form of visa.. I myself may well go the 3 mil investment visa, I am currently on my last 60 day tourist and have been told I must do the conversion prior to the last day of the tourist visa (eg I cant make it a 90 day via extension) and if I screw up on timing (I am waiting on a 100k GPB debt that would be handy) I need to run to Penang or similar again to get another tourist visa as a 30 day visa on arrival will not do according to my local office..

2nd, it is my understanding that B visa's that allow 90 day reporting rather than 90 day visa runs are much much harder to get.. Back in the old days I had a munchen issued B visa for 90 days runs, I was told to make that 90 day reporting a proven tax history and WP would be needed..

That said I would welcome you PM'ing me the source of the info you are being told in BKK please.

Please don't even think about it. It is a criminal offence, and deportable with PNG outcomes, plus the bang up in the IDC ( and you may well not be living in the LOS ever again )

Phil,

Thank you very much you seem to have put things into a much clearer perspective. I will of course be avoiding the illegal route as that is not my way.

I have been getting information from many sources and trying to thread it into a straight forward solution was getting me confused. Especially since the agency that the Immigration recommended was muddying the waters so to speak.

The replies with the exception of Pong  :o have been most helpful. I now know what I need to do. You seem to be very clued in, are you one of the moderators by chance?

Hey Joe,

I am glad the Forum helped you get on the right track. There are some very helpful people here, coupled with a wealth of information accessible via the search function.

No, I am not a Moderator by any means. I live in Thailand and am retired in all employment senses of the word and most importantly in the eyes of Thai Immigration! Therefore, I could not be part of a website that appears to sell advertising space. I believe that would be constituted as working and so out of the question as I do not have a Work Permit. Thankfully, I have no need to work.

Your comment in conjunction with a later post from Pat Pong started me thinking and so I did some basic checks. I was surprised to find that Thaivisa.com is registered in Hong Kong with all details of contacts referring to Hong Kong, not Thailand.

There might well be a simple reason for that, as I am sure that anyone profiting from Thaivisa.com whilst living in the Kingdom would have all the necessary visas and work permits etc. It could be that the Owner(s), Moderators, shareholders or whatever combination of participants exist, live offshore anyway, odd as that might appear to some (including me).

As to where you are posting from, It was clear from your rebuttal to Pat Pong’s accusation that you were not in Thailand that you insist you were, despite his trace results.

Perhaps Pat Pong could perform a trace on this post and share the results?

I wonder where his trace will say I am posting from?

Enquiring minds need to know and it should also be important to the accuser to check the validity and meaning of his traces before coming out with troll charges.

Over to you Pat Pong, if you would be so kind: I am genuinely interested. Perhaps you would also share details of the tracing software you use.

Thanks and Merry Xmas to you and all Forum members.

May the New Year bring you all you wish and hopefully more. :D

Phil

Phil,

The replies with the exception of Pong  :o have been most helpful. I now know what I need to do. You seem to be very clued in, are you one of the moderators by chance?

Hey Joe,

I am glad the Forum helped you get on the right track. There are some very helpful people here, coupled with a wealth of information accessible via the search function.

No, I am not a Moderator by any means. I live in Thailand and am retired in all employment senses of the word and most importantly in the eyes of Thai Immigration! Therefore, I could not be part of a website that appears to sell advertising space. I believe that would be constituted as working and so out of the question as I do not have a Work Permit. Thankfully, I have no need to work.

Your comment in conjunction with a later post from Pat Pong started me thinking and so I did some basic checks. I was surprised to find that Thaivisa.com is registered in Hong Kong with all details of contacts referring to Hong Kong, not Thailand.

There might well be a simple reason for that, as I am sure that anyone profiting from Thaivisa.com whilst living in the Kingdom would have all the necessary visas and work permits etc. It could be that the Owner(s), Moderators, shareholders or whatever combination of participants exist, live offshore anyway, odd as that might appear to some (including me).

As to where you are posting from, It was clear from your rebuttal to Pat Pong’s accusation that you were not in Thailand that you insist you were, despite his trace results.

Perhaps Pat Pong could perform a trace on this post and share the results?

I wonder where his trace will say I am posting from?

Enquiring minds need to know and it should also be important to the accuser to check the validity and meaning of his traces before coming out with troll charges.

Over to you Pat Pong, if you would be so kind: I am genuinely interested. Perhaps you would also share details of the tracing software you use.

Thanks and Merry Xmas to you and all Forum members.

May the New Year bring you all you wish and hopefully more. :D

Phil

Hard to say Phil because it is a proxy. But as we now know that it is a Loxinfo one from the US we'll guess Thailand.

For a change in visa status without leaving the country, when on a tourist visa or entry permit granted on arrival, an applicant must meet the qualifying requirements for being granted a non-immigrant visa.

Incidently, the law only states that a non-immigrant visa is required for being able to apply for a work permit. The categories (B, O etc.) are just an internal system used by Immigration to differentiate the reasons for a non-immigrant visa application. Therefore, immigration is breaking the law when stating that an applicant for a work permit must have a category B non-immigrant visa.

Supat Skonchai

Skonchai & Oliver Law Office

From a 30 day PERMIT ? More info please.

For a change in visa status without leaving the country, when on a tourist visa or entry permit granted on arrival, an applicant must meet the qualifying requirements for being granted a non-immigrant visa.

Incidently, the law only states that a non-immigrant visa is required for being able to apply for a work permit. The categories (B, O etc.) are just an internal system used by Immigration to differentiate the reasons for a non-immigrant visa application. Therefore, immigration is breaking the law when stating that an applicant for a work permit must have a category B non-immigrant visa.

Supat Skonchai

Skonchai & Oliver Law Office

From a 30 day PERMIT ? More info please.

Have a partners meeting and try again.