Thai Airways Cuts Fuel Surcharges

billp

Associated Press

December 19, 2008

BANGKOK, Thailand - Thai Airways International Ltd. said it has cut fuel surcharges on most routes as world oil prices fall.

The reduction applies on tickets purchased from Friday, Thailand's national carrier said in a statement.

More here.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where they got that story from, but it's certainly not feeding through to flights from Schiphol, Amsterdam. I just checked and Thai via Frankfurt/Bangkok/Phuket is €1.186 which is around €200 more than Singapore Air.

Airlines are a bit like the gas industry: they buy on a contractual basis usually three to six months in advance. So if they signed a six month contract back in July when oil was at its peak, then that figure will still be in force up until tomorrow. It depends on what happens to the oil price beginning of January which will decide what they're going to be screwing us all for I think.

Passenger numbers will also influence their pricing strategy. I've been looking at flights to Phuket for mid-February and many carriers are fully booked for the dates I want to travel. Not a good sign if you want to encourage the airlines to reduce their tariffs. :o