Thai Girls Working Abroad

julius

I have a very very dear girlfriend who has signed up to go to Ghana and work

at hotel there in their spa as a masseuse. She has gone tru courses arranged by Ministry of labour in Bangkok for the last two months to have papers to show she is qualified, and the agreement has been made tru same office.

Anybody know if it is safe for Thai girls to go to Ghana? Will this office be responsible for her safety there??

She told me she will be paid about 50000bht pr month. Good money for her, but

I feel a little unsafe of her going there.

Anyone know anything or anyone can be of help or good advise??

Thanks in advance

Julius :o:D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at hotel there in their spa as a masseuse. She has gone tru courses arranged by Ministry of labour in Bangkok  for the last two months to have papers to show she is qualified, and the agreement has been made tru same office.

Anybody know if it is safe for Thai girls to go to Ghana? Will this office be responsible for her safety there??

I feel  a little unsafe of her going there.

Thanks in advance

Julius  :o  :D

Thai girls lured to sex trade in Africa

Gang members stay in Pratunam area

Anucha Charoenpo

The disappearance of two Thai women in Africa's Ivory Coast has highlighted the presence of "sex slave" gangs in Bangkok's Pratunam area luring girls into prostitution by offers of well-paid jobs as waitresses and dancers.

There have been reports that some Thai women are forced to work from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. and face fines and even torture if they are late.

Police believe that Thai prostitutes, both voluntary and forced, have been active in Western Africa for several years. The numbers are said to be increasing because of Thailand's economic downturn.

While reliable information is difficult to come by, there are thought to be at least 50 Thai women working in Western Africa. Interpol has confirmed that Bangkok is a hub for gangs running prostitution rackets in Africa.

"The gang members usually stay in Pratunam and comprise African husbands and Thai wives who are also drug traffickers," said a senior police source.

Gangs charge the women between 300,000 baht to one million baht per head for jobs as waitresses or dancers in restaurants. The gangs meet all expenses, including air fares and visas. To pay off their debts, the women are forced to work as "slaves" or are forced into prostitution, he added.

The women travel to France before reaching their final destinations in Western Africa. Visas are easier to obtain in France because many African countries were former French colonies.

Human trafficking in Africa came to public attention recently when Paveena Hongsakul, a Bangkok MP of Chart Pattana Party, asked the Thai Foreign Ministry to trace the whereabouts of two Thai women thought to be forced into prostitution in Ivory Coast.

Although Thai women have been known to work as prostitutes in African nations such as Ghana, Ivory Coast, Togo, Benin, Nigeria and Senegal for about a decade, Thai authorities were only alerted to the problem a few years ago.

Initially, there was incredulity that Thai women would be working in countries considered to be comparatively poorer than their own. Nevertheless, a probe was conducted and more information emerged about the shadowy human trafficking network.

Udom Saphito, chief of the Foreign Ministry's overseas Thai protection division, admitted that information about Thai people in Western Africa was very scarce as Thailand only has an embassy in Dakar, Senegal.

"The Thai authorities do not know exactly how many Thai women stay (for prostitution) in the region because they did not identify Western African countries as their destinations when they left Thailand," he said.

The authorities would know about their presence there only when there were requests for help to the embassy, he said.

Thai police are trying to trace the women but the senior police source said they receive poor cooperation from African Interpol units. It is known only that at least 50 Thai women stay in the region for prostitution.

Another source who had stayed in Abidjan, the capital of Ivory Coast, for eight years, said Thai prostitutes worked at a place called the "Thailand Bar."

There are also believed to be girls from Morocco and the Phillipines. The owner is said to be over 70 years old and holds both French and Egyptian nationalities, the source said.

The source help repatriate two out of four Thai women who had sought his help to get out of forced prostitution in Abidjan. He said the fate of the other two missing women was still unknown.

"One of the Thai girls said she had been invited to work as a waitress but then forced into prostitution. She had to work from 7 p.m. until 2 a.m. and had to report to her pimp by 9 a.m. if she was taken out by a client at night. Failing to do that, she would be tortured and fined," the source said.

He expects there are more than 10 Thai prostitutes working in the country in Abidjan.

http://www.globalmarch.org/worstformsrepor.../thai-girls.htm

Edited by nogutsnoapplepie

at hotel there in their spa as a masseuse. She has gone tru courses arranged by Ministry of labour in Bangkok  for the last two months to have papers to show she is qualified, and the agreement has been made tru same office.

I feel  a little unsafe of her going there.

Thanks in advance

Julius  :o  :D

I would check with the Thai consular office responsible for Ghana, or if you're a different nationality, yours as well and inquire as to if there have been problems with other girls in the same situation.

cv

I feel a little unsafe of her going there.

I dont think thats enough to be going anywhere!!! Ghana is very different from Thailand and depending on how well she adjusts there, its gonna be ###### for her!!

I dont think she should go.

Used to work in Ghana a few years ago and although "nicer"that most of the other Sh**h*** countries in that part of the world I never ever came up against any Thais working in any of the Hotels,any companys and/or in any positions-anywhere.

There was a couple of chinese restuarants in Accra and one (only 1)in Kumasi but that was it.

Things might have changed but dont think so....rawang :o

The average salary in Ghana according to a quick search l did with Google is equivalent to 50 baht per day. If she is being told she will be earning 30 times :o the average monthly salary for working in a spa then that would raise red flags for me, big time. The suggestion about contacting the Thai government representative in Ghana sounds a sensible idea to me. Also a Google for the hotel concerned might prove interesting.

If it's too good to be true....it usually is. :D

You also need to ask why someone would have to offer 50,000 baht per month to get a suitable Thai person to work in an overseas spa. I'd be surprised if many staff working in a legit spa here in Thailand would be earning more than 10,000 per month, so why the need to offer five times that amount? I would have thought there would be many trained and experienced employees available who would jump at even half the amount on offer.

Thank you all good friends.

She has not yet been given any details of hotel or anything, except she told me

she would be going with her manager together with 10 other thai girls and they will fly out via India.

But why do the Ministry of labour in Bangkok give her advise to go there???

And manager flying with them???

There must be some seriousness her. I would not like her to go. but she is persistent.

Trying to recommend her to go to Europe instead, many good well renowned places

:o

It is definintely a scam.

Warn her before it is too late.

Agree with you. Warn her before it's too late. In Africa, she has to work as a prostitute I am sure. I have seen many cases here, they dreamed about big money by working overseas and landed in bar. Thailand is better to earn the money than in Africa. :o

Thank you all good friends.

Maybe someone got bribed.....

sorry Julius, and I really appreciate your concern, but I think the story stinks...

try your utmost to stop your friend, going to Africa!

Remember, the people in Africa are even MORE POOR than Thai people...so.....it stinks. :o

She has not yet been given any details of hotel or anything, except she told me

she would be going with her manager together with 10 other thai girls and they will fly out via India.

Hate to say, but this has brothel written all over it. :o

cv

It is definintely a scam.

Warn her before it is too late.

Agree with you. Warn her before it's too late. In Africa, she has to work as a prostitute I am sure. I have seen many cases here, they dreamed about big money by working overseas and landed in bar. Thailand is better to earn the money than in Africa. :D

Absolutly it's a scam,,, if it's on the level it would be at one of the few international hotels there ie hilton who have branches in Thailand..............save her from ###### :o:D

Look, scam or no scam, that's a lot of money being offered. Heck, if I knew how to do massage, I'd try to get on that flight too :o.

My point is, that if you try to prevent her from going, she's going to resent it. Even if you think you are looking after her best interests, she's still going to resent it (and you).

It's a lot of money, and my bet is that she's not going to be thinking about the risks, she's only going to be thinking about the return.

If she's anything like some of my friends, she's going to be thinking about all the things she can do with that money when she gets home (take care of her family, buy a car, buy some clothes, new purse, LOTS of shoes, etc....). In her eyes, it's almost as if that stuff is already bought, and if you try to persuade her not to go, you're fighting a losing battle. She's just going to get mad at you for being a big meanie.

Your best bet is to find a way to ensure her safety while she is over there. For example, buy a bunch of phone cards. Make sure you purchase ones that will work FROM Ghana (you can probably get them online). Then tell her that she has to call you at a specified time after arrival, and at least once a week after that. If there are any problems, or if she doesn't contact you, go to the police.

In fact, it would be a good idea to go in and talk to the police beforehand. Let them know that she's making this trip and that you are concerned about it being a scam or a shady deal. Ask them what they can do if something goes wrong, and/or how she can get out of Ghana if there is a problem. Make sure that they understand BEFOREHAND that she is going to Africa because she has been promised a LEGITIMATE job. That way, there'll be no question about her intentions later on if there is a problem. Otherwise, you might run into a snotty police captain who'd give you a hard time by asking questions like, "How can you be sure she didn't go to Africa to be a prostitute?" or "Why should we search for a lost hooker?", etc... If the police know ahead of time that she's going there as part of a legitimate employment offer, then they'll be more likely to help out if there is a problem.

I don't believe Thailand has a mission in Ghana, but perhaps a "friendly" embassy would help. Call up the Australian or United States embassy in Ghana and ask them if she can contact you through them if there is an emergency.

One other thing, you should make sure that she understand that HIV/AIDS isn't a "remote possibility" in Africa. The transmission rates on that continent are truly frightening. So make sure she understands that no matter how handsome, smooth or rich some African guy is, she should exercise EXTREME caution before deciding to have a wild fling. Also, let her know that the first thing she'll be doing after coming back from the trip is going to the Red Cross for an AIDS test. Make sure that is promised before she goes. For her health and yours.

In other words, your concern is well-placed, however, she is an adult too, and perfectly within her rights to take some risks to improve her financial situations and/or lifestyle (just like we all did when we came here). You can do your best to minimize that risk, but you don't have the right to shelter her like a child.

Be supportive, not smothering. That's the best way to keep a woman's respect.

Edited by Pudgimelon

Look, scam or no scam, that's a lot of money being offered.  Heck, if I knew how to do massage, I'd try to get on that flight too :o.

My point is, that if you try to prevent her from going, she's going to resent it.  Even if you think you are looking after her best interests, she's still going to resent it (and you). 

It's a lot of money, and my bet is that she's not going to be thinking about the risks, she's only going to be thinking about the return.

If she's anything like some of my friends, she's going to be thinking about all the things she can do with that money when she gets home (take care of her family, buy a car, buy some clothes, new purse, LOTS of shoes, etc....).  In her eyes, it's almost as if that stuff is already bought, and if you try to persuade her not to go, you're fighting a losing battle.  She's just going to get mad at you for being a big meanie.

Your best bet is to find a way to ensure her safety while she is over there.  For example, buy a bunch of phone cards.  Make sure you purchase ones that will work FROM Ghana (you can probably get them online).  Then tell her that she has to call you at a specified time after arrival, and at least once a week after that.  If there are any problems, or if she doesn't contact you, go to the police.

In fact, it would be a good idea to go in and talk to the police beforehand.  Let them know that she's making this trip and that you are concerned about it being a scam or a shady deal.  Ask them what they can do if something goes wrong, and/or how she can get out of Ghana if there is a problem.

I don't believe Thailand has a mission in Ghana, but perhaps a "friendly" embassy would help.  Call up the Australian or United States embassy in Ghana and ask them if she can contact you through them if there is an emergency.

One other thing, you should make sure that she understand that HIV/AIDS isn't a "remote possibility" in Africa.  The transmission rates on that continent are truly frightening.  So make sure she understands that no matter how handsome, smooth or rich some African guy is, she should exercise EXTREME caution before deciding to have a wild fling.  Also, let her know that the first thing she'll be doing after coming back from the trip is going to the Red Cross for an AIDS test.  Make sure that is promised before she goes.  For her health and yours.

In other words, your concern is well-placed, however, she is an adult too, and perfectly within her rights to take some risks to improve her financial situations and/or lifestyle (just like we all did when we came here).  You can do your best to minimize that risk, but you don't have the right to shelter her like a child.

Be supportive, not smothering.  That's the best way to keep a woman's respect.

Thai girls lured to sex trade in Africa

Gang members stay in Pratunam area

Anucha Charoenpo

The disappearance of two Thai women in Africa's Ivory Coast has highlighted the presence of "sex slave" gangs in Bangkok's Pratunam area luring girls into prostitution by offers of well-paid jobs as waitresses and dancers.

There have been reports that some Thai women are forced to work from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. and face fines and even torture if they are late.

Police believe that Thai prostitutes, both voluntary and forced, have been active in Western Africa for several years. The numbers are said to be increasing because of Thailand's economic downturn.

While reliable information is difficult to come by, there are thought to be at least 50 Thai women working in Western Africa. Interpol has confirmed that Bangkok is a hub for gangs running prostitution rackets in Africa.

"The gang members usually stay in Pratunam and comprise African husbands and Thai wives who are also drug traffickers," said a senior police source.

Gangs charge the women between 300,000 baht to one million baht per head for jobs as waitresses or dancers in restaurants. The gangs meet all expenses, including air fares and visas. To pay off their debts, the women are forced to work as "slaves" or are forced into prostitution, he added.

The women travel to France before reaching their final destinations in Western Africa. Visas are easier to obtain in France because many African countries were former French colonies.

Human trafficking in Africa came to public attention recently when Paveena Hongsakul, a Bangkok MP of Chart Pattana Party, asked the Thai Foreign Ministry to trace the whereabouts of two Thai women thought to be forced into prostitution in Ivory Coast.

Although Thai women have been known to work as prostitutes in African nations such as Ghana, Ivory Coast, Togo, Benin, Nigeria and Senegal for about a decade, Thai authorities were only alerted to the problem a few years ago.

Initially, there was incredulity that Thai women would be working in countries considered to be comparatively poorer than their own. Nevertheless, a probe was conducted and more information emerged about the shadowy human trafficking network.

Udom Saphito, chief of the Foreign Ministry's overseas Thai protection division, admitted that information about Thai people in Western Africa was very scarce as Thailand only has an embassy in Dakar, Senegal.

"The Thai authorities do not know exactly how many Thai women stay (for prostitution) in the region because they did not identify Western African countries as their destinations when they left Thailand," he said.

The authorities would know about their presence there only when there were requests for help to the embassy, he said.

Thai police are trying to trace the women but the senior police source said they receive poor cooperation from African Interpol units. It is known only that at least 50 Thai women stay in the region for prostitution.

Another source who had stayed in Abidjan, the capital of Ivory Coast, for eight years, said Thai prostitutes worked at a place called the "Thailand Bar."

There are also believed to be girls from Morocco and the Phillipines. The owner is said to be over 70 years old and holds both French and Egyptian nationalities, the source said.

The source help repatriate two out of four Thai women who had sought his help to get out of forced prostitution in Abidjan. He said the fate of the other two missing women was still unknown.

"One of the Thai girls said she had been invited to work as a waitress but then forced into prostitution. She had to work from 7 p.m. until 2 a.m. and had to report to her pimp by 9 a.m. if she was taken out by a client at night. Failing to do that, she would be tortured and fined," the source said.

He expects there are more than 10 Thai prostitutes working in the country in Abidjan.

http://www.globalmarch.org/worstformsrepor.../thai-girls.htm

It is easy for a Thai to get a visa to India(1 day and it's issued) and not have a problem leaving Thailand with Immigration.Then they fly from Inida 2 Ghana no probs!!!

Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam

Look, scam or no scam, that's a lot of money being offered.  Heck, if I knew how to do massage, I'd try to get on that flight too :o.

I'm sure he can get you flight info.

If she's anything like some of my friends, she's going to be thinking about all the things she can do with that money when she gets home (take care of her family, buy a car, buy some clothes, new purse, LOTS of shoes, etc....).
Human traffikers depend on people thinking this.
Your best bet is to find a way to ensure her safety while she is over there.  For example, buy a bunch of phone cards.

"Slavery Ring Foiled By Phone Cards! See pg 6 for details." These people make their living on rape... you think illegal search/robbery are beyond them?

If the police know ahead of time that she's going there as part of a legitimate employment offer, then they'll be more likely to help out if there is a problem.
Let's just suppose that your local police had any chance of dealing with this problem halfway around the world. By the time this has happened, the girl has been raped, sold, and resold. Thats quite a price for her to pay just so that you don't have to be 'resented'.
One other thing, you should make sure that she understand that HIV/AIDS isn't a "remote possibility" in Africa.  The transmission rates on that continent are truly frightening.

Yet you'd still let her risk being sold to a brothel.

In other words, your concern is well-placed, however, she is an adult too, and perfectly within her rights to take some risks to improve her financial situations and/or lifestyle (just like we all did when we came here).  You can do your best to minimize that risk, but you don't have the right to shelter her like a child.

Be supportive, not smothering.  That's the best way to keep a woman's respect.

Be a real friend, give her the best advice you have and try to keep her safe. If it means you lose her respect its better than her losing her life, or being traded and sold like a piece of meat. She has a right not to listen to you. You aren't forcing her not to go.

Encouraging her to go just to satisfy someone's politicaly correct whining would be reckless and stupid.

cv

I have traveled extensively though out Africa and I would not let her go. If she has had training and wishes to go abroad I would recommend she start working a hotel or other reputable SPA or Parlor to gain true experience. Many Hotels have exchange training programs with other hotels around the world.

I recently was in Brussels and met a Young Thai girl from Bangkok working as a bar tender in a Mercure Hotel. She explained she was on a 6mo exchange program from her Hotel in Bangkok. She works for 6mo being paid a standard european salary (1000 - 1700 Euro/Month + tip) thats not bad for them.

So true enriching opportunities are out there, but they aren't given to you.

If you care Keep her safe

Who says it was actually the Ministry of Labour?

Who is the 'manager'? Does she know the name of this manager?

How did she find out about this job in the first place?

Maybe you should be notifying the M of L and asking them if this job is for real.

Who says it was actually the Ministry of Labour?

Who is the 'manager'? Does she know the name of this manager?

How did she find out about this job in the first place?

Maybe you should be notifying the M of L and asking them if this job is for real.

I would say don't go, I have worked a number of years in that area, I would nor let a loved one take a "job" it looks very much as prostitution, try stop her.

Everything you describe here sets off alarms. If she will be paid that much in Ghana, it has to be at one of the biggest hotels. Why haven't they told her the name of the hotel? That should be one of the first bits of information, because I'm sure there are not many possbilities. This sounds extremely dodgy, and you only need to have your friend google stories on the trafficking of women for her to understand how dire her situation would become. Her life and her body would no longer be her own. She would make NO money because she would be a sex slave to countless anonymous men.

However, in this case the Ministry of Labour organized the training and the placement. That is a strong point. I can understand why your friend would be hesitant. Why don't you do a little research yourself about the possible establishments that employ Thai women in these circumstances. Better yet, why doesn't someone ask the Ministry of Labour exactly where these women will work. I mean, that is not only fair, but standard. If they cannot even give out standard information to women that they are supposedly sending to a foreign country, then not even the MOL can be trusted.

Please keep us informed about your quest for more information. I want to know more about the behaviour and role of the MOL in this case.

Thanks, and good luck.

ps julius in the bahtbas.com forum a few months ago someone posted a not dissimilar story though it was not an african country the girl went to I think it was Japan. The account posted is very detailed. In that case I seem to recall the girl was able after a time to contact the poster who then ( the local police and Thai government were uselless ) went and negotiated with the agents who sent her out to bring her back. I seem to recall he paid in the region of $15,000. Yes quite a lot but a captive Thai hooker is a valuable commodity in many markets.

pps The girl in that post managed to make contact. In an african country who knows if she could manage even that.

Richard

Be a real friend, give her the best advice you have and try to keep her safe. If it means you lose her respect its better than her losing her life, or being traded and sold like a piece of meat. She has a right not to listen to you. You aren't forcing her not to go.

Encouraging her to go just to satisfy someone's politicaly correct whining would be reckless and stupid.

cv

I could not agree with you more cv. I would much rather lose a friendship because of something I felt I needed to do in order to protect that friend, than to live knowing something bad will most likely happen to her.

It is a business with these guys. They know all the right things to say and do to make her feel it is legitimate. It just isn't worth the risk.

Julius...are you there?

Since you started this topic, you have had a lot of advise (mostly good advise and meant well) for the better benefit of your friend.

I wonder, how the situation is right now; did you talk to her and told her about the stories and enormous risks she might put herself into ? (and the rest of the girls...!!!!she's having 'training' with).

Please be so kind to inform us about the situation at this stage.

Thank you,

LaoPo