Australian Permanent Resident 2 Year Waiting Period

Hi all,

My wife and I are currently just over a year into the 2 year probation period for her Permanent Resident visa in Australia.

Does anybody know what the next step is? I believe we wait until immigration contacts us. What have others experienced in this situation?

I am also curious what info others, who have completed the probation period, can offer in regards to the real time frame of the probation period (ie. how close to 2 years is the real waiting period? Is it a few months either way or pretty much exactly 2 years?

Any info or advice from others who have been through this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chilli

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I seem to remember that my wife was contacted a month or more prior to the 2 year period with the detail about applying for PR.

I would ring them if you are concerned as my dealing with them was always positive and helpful to the point that as we were in and out of Thailand / Australia during this period, they asked where we would like the detail forwarded - Aust or Thailand. Make sure they have a current address .

Hi all,

My wife and I are currently just over a year into the 2 year probation period for her Permanent Resident visa in Australia.

Does anybody know what the next step is? I believe we wait until immigration contacts us. What have others experienced in this situation?

I am also curious what info others, who have completed the probation period, can offer in regards to the real time frame of the probation period (ie. how close to 2 years is the real waiting period? Is it a few months either way or pretty much exactly 2 years?

Any info or advice from others who have been through this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chilli

Chilli

Re : 2nd Stage Permanent Residency visa processing

After approximately 21-22 months has passed from from the date that your partner applied for their spouse visa, DIAC will contact the applicant at their last known address to assess their continued eligibility for the permanent visa.

This further assessment involves checking whether both you and your partner remain in a qualifying relationship.

As the previous poster rightly pointed out, it is extremely important, and in fact a legal requirement, that the applicant keep DIAC informed of their current address. If DIAC is unable to contact the applicant to assess their continued eligibility, the permanent residency application may be refused.

Regards

bridge

Australian Registered Migration Agent

Thanks Artisi & bridge for your posts.

I'm not really concerned or worried but really just curious as to other peoples experiences. I have asked about the procedure at the immigration office here in Sydney and while the person I spoke to was helpful they were somewhat vague and basically just recommended we were contactable towards the end of the probation period. Our address hasn't changed and I'm not at all worried about the process but really just a bit vague about the next step. Hence I am curious about others experiences of this stage of the process.

The reason the subject has come up for us at the moment is that we have just returned from a long planned 4 week holiday in Thailand. The trip was a complete disaster and we have returned to work more with about 4 days relaxation from that 4 week period.

My wife can only really take leave from her current employment during the Christmas period which is roughly when her 2 year waiting period ends at the tail end of 2009. We are just wondering whether we could plan ahead to next Christmas when we may be able to take a holiday and actually have some quality relaxation.

It's funny, I'm in the same situation. Our 2 years was up last month and we were not contacted. So I rang the dept of Imm and the guy said "oh, that should have been sent to you by now". It hadnt been sent, but I was told they would send the doc's straight away. When I asked what would have happenned if I didnt ring, the reply was a simple "I'm not sure".... I couldnt believe it!

I've wondered when arriving in Australia for the first time after Spouse Visa approval (in BKK) why the applicant is not contacted and at least given a contact, like say the Case Officer which will handle the permanent stage.

Wife and I are in Thailand now and may stay for 2 - 4 months. When I phoned Immigration a couple of months back to say we were travelling for an extended period, they showed no interest at all.

When I asked if there was anything we needed to do on our return (to Aus) like Medical checks etc etc, the answer was no!

We were contacted about 2 monthe before the 2 year period was up, and we had to get the application in before the expiry of the 2yr temp period - ie she entered on 8 Oct 2006 and had to have her application for PR in by 8 Oct 2008. We are currently awaiting the outcome - we have a couple of issues to resolve with regards to her daughter joining her on the Temp application. The PR won't be finalised until daughter gets to Oz in Feb 09.

However the dept has been helpful the whole way,no problems at all.

Also we were contacted by Immigration when my wife arrived - given info about Govt services and most importantly the free English classes (500+ hours).

We were never contacted about the free English classes but I did hear about them by word of mouth. However when we went to the local tafe to sign up they said she wasn't eligible until she had permanent residency (ie. after the 2 year waiting period).

After reading the last couple of posts it seems she should have been eligible from the get go!?!

We were never contacted about the free English classes but I did hear about them by word of mouth. However when we went to the local tafe to sign up they said she wasn't eligible until she had permanent residency (ie. after the 2 year waiting period).

After reading the last couple of posts it seems she should have been eligible from the get go!?!

It is spelt out very clearly in the documentation you are given.

We still have all the documents we have received and there is nothing on English classes. In fact there is very little information on anything.

We still have all the documents we have received and there is nothing on English classes. In fact there is very little information on anything.

Sorry if you didn't the info which I find unusual, it is mentioned 2 or 3 times in the info. etc we got when we applied, it wasn't needed in our case so didn't really send a lot of time on it other than a quick overview to see what it entailed..

Here is a link to the appropriate information.

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia...eligibility.htm

http://www.ames.net.au/education.asp?articleZoneID=6

http://www.ames.net.au/AMEP

I think Australian Migrant Education Services might be able to help. Try the link above or ring them. I can't remeber exactly how we went about getting into the courses - I think they are a separate entity fom TAFE. ......but make the effort, 500+ hrs is a lot of learning!! (for free).

Edited by Sporting Dog

http://www.ames.edu.au/content/courselocations.aspx

Here is the places you can contact for the AMES education courses in NSW....

They dont contact you, you have to make contact with them, They will have your partners details on record from Immigration.

My wife is due to start her last term in the New Year, She has her Cert 1 and is doing her Cert 2 at the moment. it looks like she wont get to cert 3 during her 500 hours but her english has improved significantly.

http://www.ames.edu.au/content/courselocations.aspx

Here is the places you can contact for the AMES education courses in NSW....

They dont contact you, you have to make contact with them, They will have your partners details on record from Immigration.

My wife is due to start her last term in the New Year, She has her Cert 1 and is doing her Cert 2 at the moment. it looks like she wont get to cert 3 during her 500 hours but her english has improved significantly.

I think we may have been given a bum steer. We used this website to find our nearest location (which was Brookvale Tafe). They consulted a list of visa codes and told us my wife wasn't eligible until she was granted permanent residency. However they didn't consult their computer or any form of database - they just compared the visa code on my wife's passport against a list they had.

As my wife at that stage was more keen to get out and find a job we put English lessons on the back burner for a while. I think it may be time to do a bit of research again as I guess there will be courses starting in the new year.

I think we may have been given a bum steer. We used this website to find our nearest location (which was Brookvale Tafe). They consulted a list of visa codes and told us my wife wasn't eligible until she was granted permanent residency. However they didn't consult their computer or any form of database - they just compared the visa code on my wife's passport against a list they had.

As my wife at that stage was more keen to get out and find a job we put English lessons on the back burner for a while. I think it may be time to do a bit of research again as I guess there will be courses starting in the new year.

What visa is she on ?? She should be on the sub class 309 visa.

Funnily enough they have given my stepson the same visa instead of the sub class 445 visa. I am not sure what complications may occur, if any because of it. He was still eligible to attend the IEC school.

AMES run part time, full time and in home education, so it may possible to work it around her work.

Edited by gburns57au

What visa is she on ?? She should be on the sub class 309 visa.

Funnily enough they have given my stepson the same visa instead of the sub class 445 visa. I am not sure what complications may occur, if any because of it. He was still eligible to attend the IEC school.

AMES run part time, full time and in home education, so it may possible to work it around her work.

gburns57au

Did your wife and stepson apply for their visas at the same time, that is, was it a 'combined application'? If so, your wife was the 'primary applicant' and your stepson the 'secondary applicant'. A subclass 309 in these circumstances is the correct visa for your stepson.

Regards

bridge

We did ours a few years ago, and what I can remember is that, they wanted some sort of proof that we were still together and living together, e.g. bills and bank accounts in both names, letters at the same address, photo with the 2 of us with family and friends. and with names on the photos (this was not stated anywhere until we applied for our PR). We also had to get 3 or 4 statutory declaration filled out. With the 2 year waiting period, we also were back and forth to Thailand and the time spent out of Australia was added to the 2 years, ie if you are out of Australia for 2 months then 2 months will be added to the end of your original time.

http://www.ames.net.au/education.asp?articleZoneID=6

http://www.ames.net.au/AMEP

I think Australian Migrant Education Services might be able to help. Try the link above or ring them. I can't remeber exactly how we went about getting into the courses - I think they are a separate entity fom TAFE. ......but make the effort, 500+ hrs is a lot of learning!! (for free).

My wife is about half way through her 2 year probationary period. We applied for and were granted her sub class 309 visa in Bangkok. We have spent about 4 months of that 12 month period in WA and SA and she was working. We also applied for the 510 hours free TAFE English classes whilst in Perth and she is well advanced with her lessons. Now that we are back in rural Thailand she is receiving her lessons by post and continues by correspondence (They call it distance education). All very simple and the staff at TAFE in WA are most helpful and friendly. We applied for the English lessons and had the interview at a Federal Government Migrant assistance office in Fremantle. They then referred us to TAFE.

I guess you are aware that a person on a 309 visa is also entitled to Medicare benefits and can open a bank account with out the normal pre qualification points if she applies within a certain time after arrival in Australia. A tax file number will be granted online. The Australian system is very simple and uncomplicated and it is a credit to our Government that they assist us as they do.

The Australian embassy staff in Bangkok have been fantastic and we have never had a problem.

gburns57au

Did your wife and stepson apply for their visas at the same time, that is, was it a 'combined application'? If so, your wife was the 'primary applicant' and your stepson the 'secondary applicant'. A subclass 309 in these circumstances is the correct visa for your stepson.

Regards

bridge

Yep....got that now

Hi all,

Cheers,

Chilli

I have had a number of dealings with Thai Immigration in Sydney,Macq St.We have found it is a lot easier to go to them rather than a chat on the al capone. Even when my wife visited them in the city for her Thai Passport renewal,she was never contacted,we phoned them and they stated yes new passport is still here waiting for you??

My wife never recieved a letter by the time she had been in Oz 2 years. I called and was told the info was sent to an old address. So they sent it out again to our new address. She then had to provide all thsi info. Which was a bit of work. But now its in the system. Been told it can take about 6 months. We will have to just wait.

As per a previous post, i dont mind the paper work hassle, and the cost, but i am currently annoyed with getting a tourist visa for the wife everytime i want to go to Oz.

If we were to be granted this visa, but live in BKK, and travel some times to Oz, is that possible. Alternatively, is there such thing as a multi entry visa for 1 year with i.e. max stay of 30 days ?

Cheers

As per a previous post, i dont mind the paper work hassle, and the cost, but i am currently annoyed with getting a tourist visa for the wife everytime i want to go to Oz.

If we were to be granted this visa, but live in BKK, and travel some times to Oz, is that possible. Alternatively, is there such thing as a multi entry visa for 1 year with i.e. max stay of 30 days ?

Cheers

Skippybangkok

Tourist visas allow for multiple entry, sponsored visitor visas do not.

Periods of Stay - Tourist visas

Generally the period of stay for a tourist visa will not exceed 3 or 6 months. However 12 months may be allowable if the applicant’s circumstances and/or the proposed purpose of the visit are such that the DIAC decision maker is inclined to allow a greater period of stay more than 6 months.

Where an application is made for a tourist visa and the applicant intends only a short stay of less than 3 months, the officer is expected to grant only 3 months stay. Similarly, for applicants requesting more than 3 months but less than 6 months stay, the officer should only grant a stay period 6 months and for applicants seeking more than 6 months, officers should grant a period of stay of 12 months.

Visa Validity - Tourist visas

Under DIAC policy, the standard period (short visa validity periods can be granted) for travel and re-entry to Australia is 12 months from the date of grant. Decisions to grant longer validity periods should be made taking into account relevant factors including:

• whether the applicant could be considered a de-facto resident of Australia (that is, is the applicant trying to

circumvent Australia's migration law by maintaining residence in Australia on a tourist visa;

• the purpose of the applicants visit;

• their immigration history;

• whether the applicant has sufficient financial resources to support a possible extended stay in Australia without working

working;

• the period of stay requested (longer visa validity periods may be more appropriate for individuals wishing to come to

Australia for a short period on an annual basis;

• any security considerations and;

• whether the applicant is a low risk.

Hope this helps.

Regards

bridge

Skippybangkok

Tourist visas allow for multiple entry, sponsored visitor visas do not.

Periods of Stay - Tourist visas

Generally the period of stay for a tourist visa will not exceed 3 or 6 months. However 12 months may be allowable if the applicant’s circumstances and/or the proposed purpose of the visit are such that the DIAC decision maker is inclined to allow a greater period of stay more than 6 months.

Where an application is made for a tourist visa and the applicant intends only a short stay of less than 3 months, the officer is expected to grant only 3 months stay. Similarly, for applicants requesting more than 3 months but less than 6 months stay, the officer should only grant a stay period 6 months and for applicants seeking more than 6 months, officers should grant a period of stay of 12 months.

Visa Validity - Tourist visas

Under DIAC policy, the standard period (short visa validity periods can be granted) for travel and re-entry to Australia is 12 months from the date of grant. Decisions to grant longer validity periods should be made taking into account relevant factors including:

• whether the applicant could be considered a de-facto resident of Australia (that is, is the applicant trying to

circumvent Australia's migration law by maintaining residence in Australia on a tourist visa;

• the purpose of the applicants visit;

• their immigration history;

• whether the applicant has sufficient financial resources to support a possible extended stay in Australia without working

working;

• the period of stay requested (longer visa validity periods may be more appropriate for individuals wishing to come to

Australia for a short period on an annual basis;

• any security considerations and;

• whether the applicant is a low risk.

Hope this helps.

Regards

bridge

Thanks kindly, thats a great write up. I was not aware that you could get multiple entries for a 12 month period. In terms of qualifying, i think we have tons of evidence we do not and will not reside in Oz for the forseeable future ( great place, but our home is here ). Financial info and all criteria above not an issue.

So the spouse visa is not possible ? ( the only benefit, is submit documents once, and your done for a few years ). but if need to re-apply every time we return to thailand, it would defeat the purpose.

Edited by skippybangkok

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Guys !

Wife got a 1 year multi - entry visa (max 3 months per trip ) which suits us fine. Will get one every year even if we do or dont travel, that way can travel when ever i want without having to wait for visa's ( i usually make the decision to go home at the drop of a hat when i have the time ).