Entrance Fee Myanmar

Having done my 90 days border run this week I was warned by the Immigration post "only dollars are exepted at Tachileik" so I bought 5$ of them rate 50 baht one dollar (bank +/- 40 baht) but I was to lazy to go back so I don't accuse Imm. of overcharching because you can walk back to one of the many banks in Mae Sai.

Thanks Immigation staff for warning me I poberly should have to pay a lot more on the Myanmar side. :D

Asking at the Tachileik post why they don't accept Thai money anymore the answer was "we want $$$$$. :o

Edited by penzman

Having done my 90 days border run this week I was warned by the Immigration post "only dollars are exepted at Tachileik" so I bought 5$ of them rate 50 baht one dollar (bank +/- 40 baht) but I was to lazy to go back so I don't accuse Imm. of overcharching because you can walk back to one of the many banks in Mae Sai.

Thanks Immigation staff for warning me I poberly should have to pay a lot more on the Myanmar side. :D

Asking at the Tachileik post why they don't accept Thai money anymore the answer was "we want $$$$$. :o

This will change, it always does.

The Burmese aren't notoriously strong on economics. :D

cv

Last Saturday, the officer on the Thai side going out had a whole boxful of US$5 bills he was selling for 250 baht. My theory is that the US Treasury may be forbidding Americans to buy things in Myanmar, thus there's a real shortage of hard currency in the Rangoon junta. I figure they're taking $5 now instead of 250 baht.

Last Saturday, the officer on the Thai side going out had a whole boxful of US$5 bills he was selling for 250 baht.  My theory is that the US Treasury may be forbidding Americans to buy things in Myanmar, thus there's a real shortage of hard currency in the Rangoon junta.  I figure they're taking $5 now instead of 250 baht.

The fee for Myanmar has always been 5 US $ but they accepted 250 baht as well now they only want US $ :D with is less than 250 baht :o

• 4 weeks later...

I remember a number of years ago that that it was the same.. Only American 5 dollars..... Then they started to accept Thai baht, too. Now, it's back to the way it was then...

No big deal, really, na'? They even make it super-convenient for the exchange. If someone is so tight that they don't want to pay the extra 'service fee', then take your own walk to the bank, just like the immigration officer did... :o