Which Is The Best Mobile Phone Service

yeehi

I want to get a mobile and dont know the system in thailand

I will be in chiang mai about 6 months.

I will probably use the phone as follows

lots of text messages, many to outside of thailand

daily use wouldnt be high, an occasional call to someone in chiang mai.

i would make an international maybe once a week or two weeks

ALso if you have suggestions on where to get a good used handset that would be useful

SOmebody said d sat was a good company because of the cheap international rates...

I dont know if coverage by companies in chiang mai is an issue.

What about just buying a card and doing pay as i go.

Any tips on phones really... :D

If someone wants to set up a poll on this regarding the competing companies, cool! I dont know their names so its up to you :o

I want to get  a mobile and dont know the system in thailand

I will be in chiang mai about 6 months.

I will probably use the phone as follows

lots of text messages, many to outside of thailand

daily use wouldnt be high, an occasional call to someone in chiang mai.

i would make an  international maybe once a week or two weeks

ALso if you have suggestions on where to get a good used handset that would be useful

SOmebody said d sat was a good company because of the cheap international rates...

I dont know if coverage by companies in chiang mai is an issue.

What about just buying a card and doing pay as  i go.

Any tips on phones really...  :D

If someone wants to set up a poll on this regarding the competing companies, cool! I dont know their names so its up to you  :o

0ne-2-0ne have the best coverage, but don't get orange beacause the they're crap.

Do you mean 1-2-Call? That's what I use, but international voice calls are 40 baht per minute. Would int'l text calls be 40 baht each? Internet cafes or other places that off telephone booth service would be cheaper for that, wouldn't they?

Edited by PeaceBlondie

I've always used AIS or one of their variants such as 1-2-Call. They have always been reliable. Not sure whether you can use one of the cheaper international dialing services such as 007 or 008 with 1-2-Call.

As far as I know, international SMS's are nine baht each, which seems a bit pricey to me.

I've also heard that Orange's network coverage is sketchy.

I got a dtac service and a cheapish sony ericson handset.

WHat i want to know is how to derive my mobile e mail address from my telephone number so that I can tell people outside thailand the address to send messages to me in thailand.

eg if my number is 1234567 is my e mail for my mobile phone [email protected] ?? or what?

I got a dtac service and a cheapish sony ericson handset.

WHat i want to know is how to derive my mobile e mail address from my telephone number so that I can tell people outside thailand the address to send messages to me in thailand.

eg if my number is (0)1234567 is my e mail for my mobile phone [email protected]    ?? or what?

I guessing, but the intl format is [email protected] :o

Merry Xmas....

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where to pick up a decent used cell phone in Chiang mai. I have some business in thailand and am thinking about getting a cell only for when I am there. Where do you think I should go? About how much for the used cell? Costs for set up with sim card? Appreciate the info.........................