Puu Chii Faa

elephantkungfu

in Phu Chi Fa village (where the Police Station and most guest houses are, its about 1km (maybe less) to drive up to the main viewpoint car park. There is a flat area on the left, just before a barrier-gate and a little hut. There were a few people camping there when I went 3 weeks ago. Seemed like it was free with your own tent - didn't see any place offerering to rent tents out. 2 mins drive after that is the car park from which you walk to the viewpoint.

Side note: make sure you know what time the sun will be rising. I stayed near the police station which is on the dark side of the mountain. In the morning I waited till it was getting a bit lighter and thought I'd easily make the drive (10 mins) and walk (15/20 mins) in time for sunrise but I bet I was half an hour late. Still magnificent though.

I would not recommend to go during the festive season:

Hard / impossible to find an accommodation

Hard / impossible to find parking space

The view point place itself will be overcrowded. Will be difficult to get the right view point at the right time. I also find it quite dangerous close to the cliff when the sheer masses are pushing from behind.

Do it after Jan 4th if possible.

I used a travel agency to provide transportation and lodging when I made the trip. As I remember we stayed in a eco-friendly hotel which was part of a royal project....beautiful place, but the name escapes me.

You can contact

Friends of Nature Co., Ltd.

133/21 Ratchaprarop Road Rajthevee

Bangkok, Thailand 10400

Tel/Hp : 662-6424426-8

Fax : 662-6424428

I dealt with the owner, Khun Dang, a helpful and competent woman who speaks English very well. Perhaps a call to her could give you some ideas, I'm sure she'd be happy to help. She does trips "off the beaten path" and could probably arrange camping as well.

Tell her Eric from Boston sent you....she may remember me, although it was several years ago.

A great trip...don't miss it.

i'm thinking of going to puu-chii-faa.

does anyone know the best route to drive there from chiang mai?

can you recommend any campsites... would prefer one that supplies food, firewood, blankets etc...

anything else worth seeing in the area?

cheers

Try this snap from the GT Rider Golden Triangle loop map.

442416365_cLkRe-M.jpg

There are basically 4 ways to get up to Phu Chi Fah

1. R1093 the north end via Pha Tang

2. R1093 the south end via Huak

3. From R1155 via Lapadee, also called R1093 & the main road up to Phu Chi Fah

4. From R1155 via Pang Kha & Lao Lu.

All the roads are bloody steep, as steep as the Doi Ang Khang road R1249; except R1093 from the south Huak end, which is a longer more gradual climb & a much longer distance. But get the map, it will be worth it with accurate kms & profiles of the North's steepest winding roads.

There are more guesthouses & camp sites up there than you can poke a stick at, & at New Year they will all be full. Literally thousands of Bkk Thais will be up there with their cars. They have huge traffic jams, & I am sure at times sections of the roads must be made one-way to handle the volume of traffic. Not a place I'd recommend you go until after the new year is over.

For a GT Rider trip report with photos of the Lao border & Phu Chi Fah roads go here.

Have a good time, take your cold weather gear, & make sure you have good brakes on your vehicle.

Edited by davidgtr

The view point place itself will be overcrowded. Will be difficult to get the right view point at the right time. I also find it quite dangerous close to the cliff when the sheer masses are pushing from behind.

I agree with all the above - did it 2 years ago with Thai friends but they'd got everything booked beforehand. Also, don't underestimate how cold it will be - froze my a_s sitting waiting for that sun. Also - take a good torch/flashlight for the climb to the top in the dark.

Thinking about it a bit more, aside from the fact that it is quite an experience - I remember the thing that fascinated me most was watching the Thai reaction to it all.........and the fact they plainly just love to be experiencing the cold and dressing up for it.

i'm thinking of going to puu-chii-faa.

does anyone know the best route to drive there from chiang mai?

can you recommend any campsites... would prefer one that supplies food, firewood, blankets etc...

anything else worth seeing in the area?

cheers

Hi, I have been to Puu-Che Fa. It's beautiful up there. Did you take your trip already? How was it? Did you go alone or with a group? Any photos?

I totally agree with this poster.

In addition, Phu Chi Fah is NOT a National Park and thus only enjoys limited protection status from rangers. The result is no curbs on behaviour. The result of that is if you camp over the holiday period, I can guarantee the campsite will have a large proportion of people getting pissed all night. That means they will not sleep. Unfortunately that means you will not be able to sleep either. Consider this carefully as it may ruin your enjoyment of your trip.

You could rent one of the National Park Bungalows at Phu Sang NP 40 kms away and then enjoy the beautiful drive to Phu Chi Fah.

Hope you enjoy your trip.