Siam Reap Day Trip

sinatra

Does anyone know if it would be possible to travel from BKK by plane in the am to Siam Reap, do Angkor, and fly home in the evening on the same day? I can't seem to get the info from Thai Airways. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

As others have said, yes, but why bother. Better to spend a night or two. And TG doesn't fly to Siem Reap, Bangkok Airways does, 0800 hrs out of BKK, 2055 hrs out of REP back to BKK.

Two nights there is fine, check out the Red Piano Guest House, I've stayed there a couple of times: http://www.redpianocambodia.com/

For an excellent, and FREE, guide book, check out: http://www.canbypublications.com/

Mac

I have already "done" angkor. i lived in cambo and thailand. i have a very limited time for a stop in thailand with the lady and would like for her to see it. thanks for the help and the sarcasm.

well if you lived here and cambodia, then why would you not know about BKK Airways - note - not being sarcastic. www.bangkokair.com

while i was in se asia for 2 years i was on an obscenely low budget. the cost of the flight is very prohibitive. i took the horrible overland route last time. flights to bkk from phenom phen are dirt cheap but i am working with severly limited time on this trip. as i said it is mostly for the missus. thanks

its an expensive flight.. about $300 or mroe r/t

One good thing, the hotels are runing less than 25% if u deciede to do an overnight. Still one day at Angkor is $20

...i took the horrible overland route last time. ... I have driven up from PP 3 times in the last 2 months and don't mind the drive at all. even heading back up tomorrow via Battambang for new years there.

Bangkok Air currently hold a monopoly on the BKK to Seim Reip route. It's common knowledge in Cambodia that Bangkok Air have been paying off Cambodian officials to keep the road from Sisophon to S.R. in a disgusting state.

It seems the good people at Bangkok Air would rather you fly with them than travel overland.

The monopoly is about to end so the road is getting done at the moment but still a fair bit to be done yet.

the time I went to Siem Riep, I went to a speghetti place, then back to my little g.h. room. I turned on the little TV late at night, and.... "We interupt this program to bring you breaking news. There's smoke coming out of the upper part of one of the World Trade Center buildings - we think a small plane may have crashed in to it....."

Yes, it was just as the news of 9-11 was breaking.

I seriously wondered whether to quit my plans to see Anghor Wat. It didn't feel right to be a sightseer, while my country was being attacked. However, I had already booked a driver, and was already in the vicinity - so I went ahead with 2 full days exploring parts of the amazing ruins. When I got back to Pnom Pen, some security guards showed me a Time magazine that already had a feature of the attack with a bunch of photos - which impressed me that a US based mag could get their issue set up and distributed in such a short time.