Camping-van

Eastfalia44

Hi everyone,

I wish to go to Thailand later in February 2009. I would like to buy a small truck (like a Mitsubishi F300) and transform it into a camping-van. There are plenty of body shops around I guest, and I have very detail, but simple plans. Does anyone (I mean a foreigner) have bought a vehicle in Thailand before; is it complicated to register; are the transformations susceptible of complications with the authorities, etc.

I’m retired, and my intention in not to stay in Thailand for long (as visa goes), but to travel to Europe over some 10 years (also as visa goes). I know it is not a very common way of traveling, but it is the only way I can, and want to do it…

I’m now in Malaysia since 6 weeks for that only purpose, but it seems impossible to go around the bureaucracy that says: We don’t have any previous such request, so it is not possible.

I thought to myself: I can buy any such truck if I could only register it (legally), and go to a welding shop to do any transformation I wish… Who can tell the difference on the registration certificate?

I can enter into Thailand or Malaysia (or any country in the world) with such a “camping-van” without any problem whatsoever!!! (I saw one the other day in Kuala Lumpur. I mean a real C-type, from Europe I guest). The only problem is to have it done somewhere.

Any feedback from actual experience would greatly be greatly appreciated. I’m getting a little desperate with all this :o . In advance, I thank you so much for any help.

I used to have a motor caravan in the UK, loved it. However, I would never consider one in Thailand. It would be impossibly hot to live in unless you could leave the engine running for air-conditionung. Camping sites are a rarity so you would be wild camping - I would not consider this from a safety point of view.

If you bought one here, which you could do quite legally, you may have difficolty taking it out of the country for a lengthy period. Easier to buy one ready converted in Australia and bring it here. That would be right hand drive same as Thailand and Malaysia.

I hope that helps.

You sound like you havent really considered this too much.. Not easy to move a Thai vehicle through China / Tibet.. Or Myanmar.. So how do you move east ?? Your statement that you can enter 'any country in the world' in a Thai registered car is simply not true.

The buying and registering of the car is trivial.. The exporting of it is not.. Thailand is not a member of the Carnet du passage et douane so you will have massive hurdles in getting a carnet, without which its very hard to travel outside of ASEAN.

As a retired person you can get a retirement visa, you can't buy a vehicle on a tourist visa. I agree with previous post as regards safety and the heat problem. Rooms for overnight stays are available everywhere and cheaply.

I suppose you do get the advantage of having a sort of "home" with you at all times.

When you want to move on from South East Asia, I suggest more sensible to sell such a vehicle than ship overseas.

Prices for second hand vehicles much higher in Thailand, so makes more sense to sell here and buy again for Europe.

If you are still determined, we will handle the conversion, and have a very suitable vehicle in stock for the purpose, a Jeep Wagoneer.

http://www.thailand-custom-hot-rod-shop.com/

Well the ;cant buy a vehicle on a tourist visa' may be the technical rule.. But I have bought vehicles on every class right down to the 30 day visa exempt stamp.. Depends on your local office..

Wagoneer a very strange choice for a camper ?!? I would think a selection of different types of panel vans would better suit.

I used to have a motor caravan in the UK, loved it. However, I would never consider one in Thailand. It would be impossibly hot to live in unless you could leave the engine running for air-conditionung. Camping sites are a rarity so you would be wild camping - I would not consider this from a safety point of view.

If you bought one here, which you could do quite legally, you may have difficolty taking it out of the country for a lengthy period. Easier to buy one ready converted in Australia and bring it here. That would be right hand drive same as Thailand and Malaysia.

I hope that helps.

That was a concern of mine and hope to explore this more in time; good excuse for exploring on the bike. Van traveling has been our favorite for the past twenty years throughout North America; it's compact and economical, and a regionaly common vehicle provide a safe, non descript accommodation. The readily available accommodation would be icing on the cake.

Heat in a well ventaited vehicle is no issue if your prepared; the vehicle below with its open roof and extra added fans provided a nice, bug free, nights sleep in high 30 degree, humid, weather in central Mexico. That picture is our last road trip this summer in BC, and daily temperatures were reaching the mid 30's this August in Central BC.

I piped in because we are considering doing so also, already having met reasonably priced and talented fabricators in town. A high roofed Toyota Hiace being our primary choice. Look forward to hearing what you decide and build!

Cheers

normal_IMGP0614.JPG

Edited by Fishenough

I hope that helps.

Hi OP and BWPattaya!

I applaud your initiative and two close friends of mine tried this in 1989 (UK) and 1995 (Aus). Both retired hurt. They lost their vehicles - and I mean ALL the vehicles and ALL the value - to the BiB. Can't go further on that. Just, please, DON'T do it!

Hotels here are so numerous and cheap, relevant camp sites so non existent, 'camping out' in the wilds so dam_n dangerous (hot and attractive to every mozzy and every thief) that the vehicle you have in your mind's eye will

a) be hard to import

:o amost impossible to sell - or even rent out and, most vitally,

c) NEVER be enjoyable, practical or safe for you to use yourself.

I know that we farangs have lots of good advice that Thailand should take on board. Allowing this sort of thing easily and smoothly is one good example. But I've lived here full time for 14 years and hope this facility MAY happen in my lifetime. The next one. I'm 62 now.....!

Good luck. Keep your money in your pocket and use it for a decent hire car (or good value purchase of an old smoker) and the small, excellent hotels which need your business so badly!

A couple of years ago a company in Pattaya was building slide in pickup campers. All I ever saw were pictures but the shell was made of fiberglass and the units looked very sleek. It appears that they are now out of business because surfing does not show any manufacturers in Thailand.

For me, a slide in camper unit would be more practical than a van.

I have thought of another reason for not doing this. As a foreigner, and especially as a tourist, you are required to notify immigration of your address in Thailand. Hotels are required to inform them daily of their occupants. That includes names and passport details.

You would not be able to do this.

As regards owning the car, I have two friends who visit here regularly on tourist visa. Both have cars in their own names. Other visitors I know own motorbikes.

I agree with the poster who mentioned the difficulty of taking a Thai car to other countries. If you brought a carr into the country for your own personal use you are only permitted to bring it in for a limited time.

If you want to travel around you would do it much cheaper using hotels (cheap), the road network is good and transportation is cheap and frequent.