Baby Names

offset

Baby due in February not married to mother and most probably never will be I cannot make up my mind whether the baby should have mother's surname and Thai first name my surname and English first name or a mixture of both the child will stay in Thailand to live and school any suggestions

Baby due in February not married to mother and most probably never will be I cannot make up my mind whether the baby should have mother's surname and Thai first name my surname and English first name or a mixture of both the child will stay in Thailand to live and school any suggestions

For sure the baby should have your surname, how about an english christian name and a thai middle name?

My Thai wife and I just named our recently born son using an English first name, mothers surname and my surname; had a bit of an issue with Saraburi Registry Department but got it sorted throough my wifes connections within our town. In later years he will require a Thai name for miltary service; by then he can choose his own Thai name.

Good luck!

How about a name that can be easily pronounced? This is what my wife and I chose for our daughter. It is neither a Thai name or English.

We went down a similar route, spent months trying to come up with a western name which was easy for Thai people to pronounce and didn't mean anything stupid in Thai.

I suggest your surname (family name) and a Thai first name (middle names are a problem in Thailand - they always end up using your middle name as your surname or some similar screw-up) with a nickname (which all Thais have anyway) that works in Thai and English. So, it could be Somchai Smith, nickname Mik, for example. That way the child fits in with the locals and, in the event he/she ends up in farangland, fits there too.

Thank for your comments so far but I was thinking that when he went to school in Thailand whether it would be better for him to have a Thai name to make his school life easier when he gets older he can look after himself regarding names

how about an english christian name and a thai middle name?

That's what we did, with our recently born daughter. When she gets older she can choose which one she likes best. Although i know she'll like the english one best.............................cos i chose it :D

We also did this for our boy who was born last month, with exactly same rationale. :o

My girl is due in April. The last name isn't an option, its my surname.. Right now I think that the first will be Kennedy, and her middle name will be Sayree (Thai)

There is some thought about the Thai name being her first..

I want to reflect both cultures...

Can I ask why you say that it has to be your surname is this for your benefit or is there a reason I am just considering a Thai surname because my son will live in Thailand and I think it will be better for him to have my GF's name

My girl is due in April. The last name isn't an option, its my surname.. Right now I think that the first will be Kennedy, and her middle name will be Sayree (Thai)

Can I ask why you say that it has to be your surname is this for your benefit or is there a reason I am just considering a Thai surname because my son will live in Thailand and I think it will be better for him to have my GF's name

I should imagine it is easier travelling with your child, if both your surnames are the same in the passports. There are probably other benefits but really it is up to you.

I should imagine it is easier travelling with your child, if both your surnames are the same in the passports. There are probably other benefits but really it is up to you.

Yes but that means if I use my name it is OK for me but not for the GF who is Thai I am really trying to work out in my head what is best for my child and not for us parents

Just consulted my wife on this and she pointed out that your GF might have a problem if the child does not have her surname; getting a passport and the like. If you do chose your surname she will have to get a letter from the Amphur certifying she is the mother (strange as it may seem, even when she is declared as the mother on the birth certificate). My wife speaks from experience because her daughter has her (Thai) father's surname and she had this problem when getting her daughter a passport.

The surname will be mine because its my wife's also.. Honestly, if I was in your situation I would still make it follow my surname even if I was in your situation... I can only think of a few issues you might have on the Thai side, but for your home country I tend to think that the problems would be greater...

It your child needed to show that your gf was the mother that shouldn't be very difficult to do seeing that your gf was in fact the mother and that she is Thai.. Maybe they might need some document but it shouldn't be that hard for your Thai gf to get.. What do mothers that divorce and later remarry do? Step children sometimes keep the surname of their biological father, so surely having a different surname from the mother can't be that big of an issue. If it is an issue, its not like she can't prove she is the mother... Getting a certificate from an Amphur office is a walk in the park, and normally will only have to be done one time... Again, don't worry about the child not having the same name as the mother..

The biggest issues are the child not having your surname and you not being married.. I would think you will have a difficult time proving you are the father more so than your gf will have proving she is the mother, especially since the baby will be staying in Thailand... For the baby's sake, if she lives in Thailand or not, dual citizenship is something of value to the child.... You limit the child's options by not giving the baby this, assuming of course it is an option based upon your citizenship... Dual citizenship is valuable to the child because it enlarges her number of choices; it may also prove valuable to you and enlarge your own...

Having your surname has its immediate advantages, while having your gf's doesn't. Sure there are the possible annoyances but its an annoyance not a long term problem.. Its not like the baby won't be a Thai citizen because of its name.. It will be able to eventually get an ID, have a passport, own property and so on regardless of the name.. Once the baby is registered at the Amphur office it should be smooth sailing..

I say relax and give that baby your name.. However, if you are going to be out of the picture so to speak (not saying you are) than maybe more thinking needs to be done because giving that name signifies your intentions to be there..

Edited by Digitalman

Hi Digitalman

Thank for your time I was not thinking about the legal side I will get that all covered by me registering the birth myself and also getting him registered at the UK embassy and a British Passport I will also get a DNA test done (I have no doubt that he is my son this is for other problem that may arise in the UK) so he will have a good legal basis what I was more interested in was my boy living and going to school in thailand I do not want him to feel that much different at school I also intend to be around for a long time but age may not allow it to be to long, but I am grateful for your import