Citizenship Rights Of A Farang/thai Baby

I am hoping someone that has a farang/thai baby born in Thailand could tell me wether or not their child is a dual citizen. I am from Canada and have heard that our child will have the same rights as any other 100% Thai person in Thailand. And that all I have to due is register our baby once they are born with Canada for them to have full rights there. Would prefer to have replies from someone who has a child and knows for sure the way this works. Thank you.

There is another post on this topic with a fellow from the UK so I understand the general info. A reply from a Canadian would be fortunate. Two other things though. That were mentioned on the other post but were left unconfirmed....

Does your child have to pick one citizenship over another upon reaching adulthood?

If I have a son will he have to report for military duty? If so, for how long?

Doglover

Edited by doglover

I am hoping someone that has a farang/thai baby born in Thailand could tell me wether or not their child is a dual citizen. I am from Canada and have heard that our child will have the same rights as any other 100% Thai person in Thailand. And that all I have to due is register our baby once they are born with Canada for them to have full rights there. Would prefer to have replies from someone who has a child and knows for sure the way this works. Thank you.

There is another post on this topic with a fellow from the UK so I understand the general info. A reply from a Canadian would be fortunate. Two other things though. That were mentioned on the other post but were left unconfirmed....

Does your child have to pick one citizenship over another upon reaching adulthood?

Doglover

Not Canadian but I can give you some info.

For the Canada side of birth reigistration/citizenship see this page from Embassy website.http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/bangko...citizen-en.aspx

When the child is born you should go with the mother to the Amphoe (district office) and sign on the birth registration to insure there is no future problems proving you are the father. Then you and the mother both will have to go and apply for the childs passport.

Thailand recognizes dual nationality and there is no need for the child to choose citizenship.

Near the bottom of the webpage I posted above has info on "Retention of Canadian Citizenship".

I am not sure of the length of service in the Thai military but I am sure your wife can find the answer to that question. As far as getting drafted whether or not that happens depends on various factors and luck since it a lottery/draw type system. If they are in school they will not be drafted until school is over. There are waivers allowed. Also if they are going to school here they can enroll in a program where they would spend some weekends and holdays going to military training. This will meet their obligation to serve and they would then be in the reserve forces after that. If they were called up they would be in the officer ranks. I don't know all the details but that is what my stepson did when he was in high scholl and the university.

Doglover

Because of the mother, your children will have Thai nationality. You don't state if you are married. If you are married you will be automatically considered the legal father.

If you are not married, you have to be the one that registeres the child. The act of registering yourself confirms in that case that you are indeed the fahter and you acknowledge that you are. If someone else does the registration of the birth, you are not considered the legal father as there is no proof that you acknowledged that you are the father.

Doglover

Just make sure you name is listed on the birth certificate as the father and you shouldn't have a problem with the Canadian Embassy.

Just take the birth certificate and get it officially translated and take both to Canadian Embassy (Abdul Rahim Place on Rama 4 Road near Lumpini Park).

Apply for a Citizenship card for your child, you can also apply for a Canadian passport for your child at the same time.

I didn't have any problems doing this even though we are not officially married. If not married it can help to show some history together, for example, travelling together outside Thailand (show passport stamps).

From Canadian side there is no problem with dual citizenship, many Canadians have this status.

As for Thailand, many Thais have second passports. There may be a Thai law requiring a child to choose Thai or the other nationality when he becomes sixteen, but I don't think this is enforced.

Thai law requires to choose at age 21, but it is not enforced. The law state you must choose, but doesn't give any penalty for not choosing. Hence one can not for example lose Thai nationality if no choise is made.

Edited by Mario2008

Military Service is 18 months.

At 15 the Thai parent should take the child to the Ampur to get their Bat Prachacon, ID card.

At the same time the boys will be registered as liable to Military Service.

Around 18-19 they will be called to draw a lot to decide if they will in fact be drafted.

Still in education means postponement of the draft.

I asked my wife (also village headperson) about this since my post

She informs me that the age is 21 and the draft is done twice a year and is done at the district level. If you are lucky during those 2 draws you don't have to serve. From our district for this year they needed 170 in the first round and 140 in the 2nd.

Sometimes an agreed upon amount of money influences the outcome of the lottery.

That's a rumor.

I have heard the same story, but refused to pay it for my boys.

Only one had to go, and it was a good experience for him.

It can be a harsh experience if the boy is out of physical condition,

but the army will knock him into shape.