Thailand: 866 dead

Maldives: 52 dead

Malaysia: 44 dead

Burma: 30 dead

Bangladesh: 2 dead

+ see articles below

Indonesia toll 'could be 25,000'

The military has been co-ordinating relief efforts in Aceh

Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla has predicted the death toll in the country could rise as high as 25,000.

"We don't have confirmed data, but I think between 21,000 and 25,000 people (died)," the Antara state news agency quoted him as saying.

Indonesia was closest to the epicentre of the earthquake early on Sunday.

First reports from there said almost 5,000 people had been killed, most of them in the province of Aceh in northern Sumatra.

If Mr Kalla's prediction is confirmed, it would push the overall death toll to more than 42,000.

Sri Lanka has suffered the greatest number of confirmed fatalities so far, at more than 10,000.

About 7,000 deaths are reported in India. Other countries affected include Thailand, Malaysia, the Maldives, Bangladesh and Burma.

Thousands missing

It is the first time a tsunami has wreaked havoc in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

Officials in the administration say at least 3,000 people have died and a similar number are missing.

Almost 36 hours after the disaster struck, officials say they are yet to establish contact with several islands, giving rise to fears that the toll could go up further.

The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are a collection of hundreds of islands in the Bay of Bengal - 572 if you count during low tide, but only 350-odd when the tide is high. And only 38 of them are inhabited.

Several of these islands have been totally submerged and there is still no contact with Nan Kauri group of islands in the Nicobar region.

These islands have a population of some 18,000 and there is still no word on the status of these people.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When counting the predictions in death tolls from different sources (red cross, indonesian governement , sri lanka ect)

We come to following figures

Sri Lanka: 25000 predicted

Indonesia: 25000 predicted

India: 6000 predicted

Andaman island: 3000 predicted (no word from 18.000)

Thailand: 866 dead none predicted yet

Maldives: 52 dead none predicted yet

Malaysia: 44 dead none predicted yet

Burma: 30 dead none predicted yet

Bangladesh: 2 dead none predicted yet

That's a total of almost 60.000 predicted lost

I sure hope More aid will be spent then the so called war on terror wich started about 3000 people :o, but i guess not......

Aid agencies are warning of outbreaks of water-borne diseases due to contaminated water in countries stricken by the sea surges.

As international organisations assess the damage they predict that a lack of safe drinking water is likely to be the biggest threat to human health.

Clean drinking water, purification and sanitation kits are already being sent.

But they say that the surge of seawater is likely to have damaged the water supplies in many countries.

"Water-borne diseases are our main concern - the water wells could be contaminated," said Care International's Arnoud Hekkeus.

Assessing magnitude

Teams of experts are assessing the damage in affected countries, he said, adding, "Our main concerns right now are to provide clean drinking water, medication and food."

Rotting bodies in the contaminated water would provide ideal conditions for water-borne diseases such as cholera, typhoid, malaria and diarrhoea to thrive and spread among survivors, experts say.

DISASTER TOLL update

Sri Lanka: 13,000 dead (pop. 22,000,000 with a majority on the coastline)

I am guessing at least triple that number.

Indonesia: 4,500 dead (pop. 240,000,000) - epicenter of Earthquake

I am guessing at least ten times that number.

India: 3,500 dead

likely much higher

Thailand: 866 dead

The number will probably be at least ten times that.  Thailand is afraid of the results to tourism should actual numbers be known.

Maldives: 52 dead

Malaysia: 44 dead

Burma: 30 dead

Bangladesh: 2 dead

These numbers are not even worth consideration they are so out of the ball park.

I still think aid would come faster if someone dared to predict a realistic number.  I think more than 1000 have died in Phuket alone.

If you live overseas you may transfer your donations to:

Siam Commercial Bank

Thai Red Cross Society Branch

current account

acc no. 045 2 88000 6

acc name: Thai Red Cross Society for helping Southern

Once you have transferred your money, just fax your details and confirmation to 02-2527976, if you wish a receipt.

Is there any way money can be given from out of Thailand to an aid agency in Thailand like the red cross to help ?

Maybe using a credit card ?

Your local Red Cross/Crescent can forward donations you earmark for Thailand/SEA

Thailand

http://www.redcross.or.th

International (Links to all countries)

http://www.ifrc.org

cv

EDIT: I posted at the same time as Sao Jiang Mai. His method works faster.

Edited by cdnvic

I am surprised that the death tolls were not predicted immediately.  No one has bothered to make a prediction.  International Agencies are not likely to help when Thailand releases news of 4 people considered missing.

I am at Bangkok Phuket Hospital now and right from the start I could tell that the death toll would be massive.  Why didn't someone say from the start, "Over 100,000 people likely dead."

The initial numbers of 12 are considered idiotic.  I know a store owner in Phuket with 27 customers and workers that are now dead. 

With Indonesia being one of the most populated countries in the world, I am guessing more than just a few hundred died there.  It is a country of 250,000,000 people with substandard buildings struck by the largest earthquake in 40 years. 

Does nobody have any inkling of the true seriousness of this?

The death tolls will continue to rise.  Perhaps aid would be faster if someone simply made a likely prediction.  Do they have to count bodies before they give a number?  Seems a bit slow for the over 1 million people that will be predicted to be homeless.

And if 1,000,000 people are homeless, why is the number of dead so low?  Or are we just seeing the tip of the iceberg right now.

Dradam - there is plenty of truth in what you are saying..

I think most of us can unfortunately see the death toll between 50,000 and 100,000....or maybe even worse :o too many people are still lost and unaccounted for..

I am also mystified why the official death toll or official predictions worldwide are so low.... this can only hamper the decisions made by the aid agencies....

this is a massive disaster and much more help is needed right now from everyone..

I feel frustrated... I know resources are available worldwide, but feel the authorities seem to have totally underestimated this disaster and therefore will not cover it adequately... and on time...

amarka :D

Is there any way money can be given from out of Thailand to an aid agency in Thailand like the red cross to help ?

Maybe using a credit card ?

Hi jack

Try the Thai Red Cross

Home page here : http://www.redcross.or.th

Donation page here : http://www.redcross.or.th/english/donation...e_internet.php4

Cheers

KK

Ok;

I live in kamala. Lost friends here and in patong./

What amazes me is

1. the earthquake hit at 8 am. the waters hit Patong at 9:50

so why not call from someone to someone? A few years ago they reported a coming giant wave which never came and everyone laughed at those that ran...

could they have been afraid of upsetting the golden chicken.

2. At LamSing beach, ( norht of Kamala) at 9:50 the water receded over 200 METERS and everyone ran down to the land exposed to take a look at all the fish and stuff then the water hit

3. In kamala and I drove thru Patong on the 26th in the afternoon. NO police visable at all. No one directing traffic or relief efforts excpet for farnags. The thai's took off.

No relief effort until the next day by the thai goverment. No announcmnets in patong or kamala, ( in english) what to do or where to go. Althought the trucks arer always on the strrets announcing the latest movie and thai boxing event.

Even as late as yesterday afternoon the traffic was jamed out of Patong as they kept saying ( very few hours for the past 2 days) that another wave was coming.

Today masive cleanups efforts ont eh ebach here in kamala and in patong. The roads are clogeed with all those coming voeer the hill from Phuket to take a look.

Looters everywhere and the police do nothing but ...(have to be careful what I say...)

It will take weeks to recover. I just heard one freind was pulled from the lake behind fantasy Kamala. They still have divers looking and will continue for days as the visablity there is less than 1 foot. A real tragedy

and all the thais have lost their livelyhood.

Will the thai goverment help them?

the guys selling fake goods on the street in patong? The jet ski owners

The umbrella people. So many have list out.

etc etc.

Edited by phuketrichard

Ok; I live in kamala.  Lost frineds here and in patong./

What amazzes me is

1. the earthquake hit at 8 am. the waters hit Patong at 9:50

so why not call from someone to someone?  A few years ago they reported a coming giant wave which never came and everyoine laughed at those that ran

could they have been afraid of upsetting the golden chicken.

2. At Lamsing at 9:50 the water receded over 200METERS and everyone ran down to the land exposed to take a look at all the fish and stuff then the water hit

I live in kamala and drove thru Patong on the 26th in the afternoon.  NO police visable at all.  No one driecting traffic or reflief efforts excpet for farnags.  The thai's took off.

Even as late as yesterday afternoon the traffic was jamed out of Patong as they kept saying ( every few hours for the past 2 days) that another ave was coming.

It will take weeks to recover.  I just found one freidn was pulled from the lake behind fantasy Kamala.  A real tragedy

and all the thais have lost their livelyhood. 

Will the thai goeverment help them?  the guys selling fake goods on the street in patong?  The jet ski owners etc etc.

Please leave the social comments in a different thread. this place is main thread for info of disaster only.

For those wanting to help here is another option:

PHUKET - URGENT APPEAL

* * * CLOTHING, BLANKETS & TOILETRIES * * *

Dear Friends

I am sure that you have all seen the devastation in Phuket and nearby areas over the past few days. Many of those affected are now arriving in Bangkok with little more than the clothes they are wearing.

The BCCT is working very closely with staff of the British Embassy and British Club to provide assistance and support. There is now an immediate need for items of clothing (adult/children), blankets and toiletries. If you are able to donate any of these items either individually or via your companies please deliver them urgently to:-

The British Club

Silom Soi 18

Silom Road

The British Club is the main collection point for these items but there is also a need to develop a system to transport them to the airport. If any moving companies are able to help please contact the undersigned (on my mobile) as soon as possible.

Please note that your donations will go to anyone of any nationality affected by the tsunamis.

There is also an urgent need for hotel accomodation in Bangkok. The supply of free rooms offered by the TAT are dwindling rapidly such that dormitories at universities are now being used.

The British Club has also offered to look after anyone affected by providing food, drink, shelter, showering facilities, etc.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. I will endeavour to keep you updated as much as possible over the next few days.

Best regards

Greg Watkins

Executive Director

British Chamber of Commerce Thailand

Here is a press release from the Pacific Asia Travel Assn. It was issued just a day after the tsunami struck. I understand the need to protect the tourist industryand cancelling holidays will only to the pain of local merchants....still given that this appears to be the worst natural disaster in a century, I think this is a little too quick to be issuing "business as normal" statements. The wording is rather unfortunate too. That's my view. -ThaiGene.

PATA Press Release

Tel: (66-2) 658-2000

E-mail: [email protected].

MOST OF ASIA UNAFFECTED BY TSUNAMI

BANGKOK, December 27, 2004, 1600hrs -- Following the tsunami which struck Indian Ocean rim areas on the morning of December 26, the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) is reminding consumers in source markets that most of Asia has not been affected by the tidal surges.

The disaster only directly impacted the following destinations:-

India (Andaman Islands, Nicobar Islands, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Chennai, Andhra Pradesh)

Indonesia (Sumatra only -- no reports of damage to Java, Bali or other major islands)

Malaysia (north west peninsula Malaysia -- not the east coast or Sabah or Sarawak)

Thailand (Andaman Sea coast only -- not resorts in the Gulf of Siam such as Samui, Hua Hin or Pattaya)

Sri Lanka (coastal areas)

Maldives (coastal areas)

Myanmar (southern archipelago only -- minimal/no impact reported at Ngapali, Chauntha, and Ngwe Saung beaches)

Bangladesh (minimal impact reported)

PATA President and CEO Mr Peter de Jong said: "Fortunately, the majority of Asia was unaffected by this tragedy. Outside the Indian Ocean rim areas, the travel industry continues its normal business. There is no need to cancel trips to non-affected areas. And even some affected areas have some coastal hotels that escaped serious impact and are open for business.

"If you have bookings in areas affected by the tidal surges, please contact your local travel agent for the latest news."

PATA head office has sent PATA Executive Mr Stephen Yong to Phuket to assess the impact on PATA members in southern Thailand. Mr Yong will draw up a priority list of assistance required by PATA members.

PATA is also carefully monitoring the situation in other impacted tourism destinations. Information flows have been hindered by loss of power and phone lines in some areas.

On the PATA Web site (www.PATA.org), PATA has hosted the following important information:-

* emergency contact numbers (tour operators, hotels, embassies etc)

* latest news updates affecting the travel sector on a country-by-country basis

* PATA media releases on the Indian Ocean crisis

For updated information on the Indian Ocean crisis, visit www.PATA.org, or e-mail [email protected].

###

ABOUT PATA

Founded in 1951, the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) is the recognised authority on Asia Pacific travel and tourism. PATA provides leadership and advocacy to the collective efforts of nearly 100 government, state and city tourism bodies, more than 55 airlines and cruise lines, and hundreds of travel industry companies. In addition, thousands of travel professionals belong to dozens of PATA chapters worldwide.

PATA's mission is to enhance the growth, value and quality of Asia Pacific travel and tourism for the benefit of its membership. PATA is a not-for-profit organisation.

Find out more about PATA at www.PATA.org.

There are trucks leaving Samui tomorrow for Phuket with donations from the island residents. If you live on Samui and can, please buy something extra from Tesco today (rice, clothing etc) and drop it off at the market in Maenam, on the road beside the Family Mart.

Just been out to Koh Phi Phi to bring some thai friends back who have shops there - there are some areas which have not come off so bad but the centre of Tonsai Town is utterly devastated. Never seen anything like it - bodies being dragged in by the navy and stacked on the beach

I had two friends staying at the Impiana Phuket Cabana, Patong which is next to the beach. Does anyone in Phuket have any information concerning this hotel. Phone calls go unanswered.

Many thanks

I was down on the beach there yesterday afternoon. The only thing remaining of the Phuket Cabana is the reception and fragments of the bungalows. See pictures at http://www.siam.de/SuedThailand/Phuket/Pat...GrosseWelle.htm sorry about the long link, but it works. Comments in German, just click the thumbnails.

Massive aid effort gets under way

Around a million are now homeless in Sri Lanka

The United Nations has begun its largest ever relief operation in response to the Asian quake disaster. Disaster assessment teams have fanned out to the affected countries and local branches are distributing emergency aid, says the organisation.

The UN says it faces an unprecedented challenge in co-ordinating distribution of aid to some 10 nations at one time.

A massive undersea earthquake triggered sea surges that killed at least 25,000 people, with thousands still missing.

Millions of people are homeless, and the disaster zone is now threatened with outbreaks of disease.

Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India and Thailand were among the worst hit by Sunday's 9.0 magnitude earthquake, which sent huge waves from Malaysia to Africa.

The extent of the disaster in some remote regions is not yet known, as many places are still affected by flooding and disrupted communications.

Though it was not the biggest tsunami wave ever recorded, "the effects may be the biggest ever because many more people live in exposed areas than ever before", said UN emergency relief co-ordinator Jan Egeland.

He said the relief operation would probably cost "many billions of dollars".

His colleague, Yvette Stevens, said the UN had not carried out an operation like it before.

"We are used to dealing with disasters in one country, but I think something like this spread across many countries and islands is unprecedented."

Digging for dead

Hundreds of planes carrying emergency aid will be airborne within the next couple of days, Mr Egeland said.

In Sri Lanka alone, more than one million people are displaced and aid workers are under pressure to ensure they have clean water and sanitation to prevent an outbreak of disease.

The local UN agency has opened up its relief stockpiles, and planes carrying emergency supplies from nine countries, including Britain, France and the US, were due to arrive on Tuesday.

The Sri Lankan government has warned that the death toll could well rise to 20,000.

"The scale of the tragedy is massive ... this is a grave tragedy which we have not been prepared for," Sri Lankan President Chandrika Kumaratunga told the BBC.

Communities were swept away and homes engulfed by waves up to 10m high after the quake created a wall of water that sped across the oceans.

Many of the victims had no warning. Fishermen were swept from boats, and tourists were washed from the beaches.

In Thailand,

Officials warn the death toll there may double to 2,000 after rescue workers found scenes of devastation in Khao Lak, north of the resort island of Phuket.

Witnesses spoke of bodies strewn along the shoreline, and 500 staff and guests in one hotel alone were reported missing.

Hundreds of spectators were believed to have drowned at a sports field in Aceh, northern Indonesia.

The vice-president has warned that fatalities in the province, which is nearest to the quake's epicentre and among the worst hit, could rise as high as 25,000.

Thousands are also feared to have been killed on the Andaman and Nicobar islands, where reports say several islands have been submerged.

Waves also swept the Somali coastline after nightfall on Sunday, where hundreds are feared drowned and thousands made homeless, officials said.

A national disaster has been announced in the low-lying Maldives islands, more than 2,500km (1,500 miles) from the quake's epicentre, after they were hit by severe flooding

I wish Dark Night would stop telling people to shut-up whenever they post something that distracts from his personal stream of information.

..and whilst a lot of his info is extremely good- and credit where it is due, - I also wish he'd stop posting his 'League table of death' because it is morbid and doesn't really help.

I wish Dark Night would stop telling people to shut-up whenever they post something that distracts from his personal stream of information.

..and whilst a lot of his info is extremely good- and credit where it is due, - I also wish he'd stop posting his 'League table of death' because it is morbid and doesn't really help.

This thread is to contain updated information over the complete disaster. Social comments discussing the pro's and con's of decisions or events need to be discussed in a seperate thread as determined by the Moderators, please feel free to open one. Also feel free to provide updated info in this thread regarding the disaster. I have no personal intrest in "personal stream of information" :o

Regarding the Death toll figures , these are regular updates which can be found on international news agencies and i feel are relevant to the case as most of the others country don't have forums for people to look at current situations and they might follow this one. It is not intended to be "Sensational news" Sorry if it makes you feel morbid.

:D

Dark Night - you're doing a great job, but also giving the impression that you're taking some macabre, orgiastic kick out of it.

The league table ....."Right , so these are our new numbers now"

I'd like to hear more from Phuketrichard, so please stop bullying him.

Otherwise, please keep up the good work !

Thailand evacuates holiday survivors

Thailand struggles to evacuate thousands of traumatised foreign tourists from its once thriving holiday island of Phuket and other popular islands and beach resorts devastated by Sunday's tidal wave.

The wave - which struck just as many holiday-makers were arriving on the sandy beachfronts to start what they thought would be a day of sun and surf - claimed more than 900 lives in Thailand, including an estimated 480 people who perished in the upmarket resort of Khao Lak, and 120 in Phuket.

Authorities said that most of those known to have died were Thais. More than 1,000 people, including foreigners, were still missing on Monday, and officials said many of those are likely to have died.

At the Phuket airport, survivors, many still clearly shocked and emotionally distressed by their ordeal both during and after the tidal wave, clamoured to get off the island.

Many tourists in the airport terminal had lost virtually all their belongs, including passports, and were wearing beachwear, or borrowed clothing, as they joined long queues for tickets out.

“Everybody is evacuating,” said Brigid Foster, a 31-year-old Australian who narrowly escaped the wall of water by running barefoot with her husband to higher ground, after locals told them to “run”.

The couple spent the night huddled on a mountaintop with other survivors.

To cope with the unexpected crush of people trying to leave, five Thai airforce military planes provided free flights Bangkok for some tourists.

At the Phuket town hall, officials have set up a crisis information centre, where they, and numerous volunteers, were providing free food, international phone calls, internet, shelter and information to distressed. In a meeting room upstairs, diplomats from 30 countries issued travel documents to citizens who had lost their papers.

“We are doing what we can to make the tourists comfortable,” said Tiraphat Thangpotthaweepun, from the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department. “We have a duty to help people who have suffered. We must make them feel better. They are far from home and scared.”

At sunset, the normally hopping Patong beach was eerily quiet, as a handful of foreign tourists, scavangers and curious locals walked up and down the debris-laden, but otherwise deserted, shore.

Kit Koorenoon, a local lifeguard, said the local community, which has come to depend on a steady flow of tourist dollars, would serious economic hardship without their economic lifeline.

“It is like 30 years ago when I was a child everything is natural and quiet,” said Kit Koorenoon, a Thai lifeguard, surveying the desolate scene. “Everyone is in shock. People are just thinking what are they going to do.

But surveying Patong's high-street with furniture and other debris everywhere, Somkid Jatusripitak, the Thai finance minister, said he was optimistic that the hardships would not last long. “I think it will recover in a year,” he said. “It is not permanent. The problem is how to revitalise the local entreprenuers.”

--Agencies 2004-12-28

Dark Night - you're doing a great job, but also giving the impression that you're taking some macabre, orgiastic kick out of it.

The league table ....."Right , so these are our new numbers now"

I'd like to hear more from Phuketrichard, so please stop bullying him.

Otherwise, please keep up the good work !

Sorry moog , but the tendency of news reports just get's grimmer with events unfolding. I hardly like what i report ( i'm large schoked by the info about kho Lak:( ) on this forum but i try to give a comprehensive collection from different large news agency's (cnn, BBc, Reuters, some smaller ones) I surely don't get a kick out of it :o

As said please post updates here from the current situation and open new discussion threads per discussed topic (there already one on the warning system topic), it's the only way to keep this topic informative for thousand of people looking at the Thai situation with references to the other countries in the area.

Prime Minister Thaksin canceled plans to attend New Year celebrations in the northern city of Chiang Mai with tennis superstars Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams and urged officials to follow suit

Everyone should wear black from Tuesday to Thursday, when all faiths should hold religious services for the victims, he said.

Bangkok canceled its New Year celebration which tens of thousands of people would have attended.