Maybe Up To 6000 Dead, Tidal Waves Slams Thailand

george

Folks, show some respect. Start a new thread if you want to argue about who is responsible and what should/could have been done to prevent the amount of fatalities.

Let the rest of us keep up to date with the news and finding our loved ones, the majority do not want to read your insensative posts. Go Away!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Thai TV I just saw that the Narenthorn Center (some sort of nationwide emergency response center) is posting names of  injuries and fatalities at their website:

http://ems.narenthorn.or.th

At the top login as "user" and the password is "password".

I just checked and almost all listed are Thai, with two foreign-sounding names with nationality listed as "unknown".

I suspect the Western embassies will request that names do not be listed until they notify next of kin. Also, my wife says all listed were treated at government hospitals and the list does not include private hospitals (at least thus far).

Many of the "thai names" are just descriptions such as "woman, white skin, name unknown". And then there are a bunch of duplicates etc. Doesn't seem to be a very well organized list...

Of all places I happened to be on the throne in the hong nam when I felt the tremor. Never felt an earthquake before, but that is the first thing that came in my mind. Since my wife or no one else mentioned it afterwards I figured maybe it was just blasting for a road or something in the area and passed it off. Spent the rest of the day golfing with 4 Thai friends and not a word of it was ever mentioned. I only found out about it when I started getting calls from my co-workers outside the country from Ireland and America asking if me and my family were ok. (From Chiang Rai) My wife and I have spent the last two Christmas's at the Marriott Phuket, but this year my son is only 9 months old so we passed, Thank God. My thoughts and prayers to all those innocent victims. Makes all the insignificant things we worry about on a daily basis pale in comparison to this.

First of all, my deepest sympathy to all the persons mourning some loved ones.

I have received some pretty bad news from Kao Lak

"GM. announces that Khao Lak is the worst effected in Thailand

apparently that Anantara Khao Lak was gone no more!, nothing left there

GM said only 1 frame left in Anantara!

like i told you last email 5 staffs died including FO Mgr, 10 staffs disappeared

and 20 more guests died there in Anantara only(they have 60 bangalows) "

Anyone with news regarding Le Meridien in that region???

Thank you

First of all, my deepest sympathy to all the persons mourning some loved ones.

I have received some pretty bad news from Kao Lak

"GM. announces that Khao Lak is the worst effected in Thailand

apparently that Anantara Khao Lak was gone no more!, nothing left there

GM said only 1 frame left in Anantara!

like i told you last email 5 staffs died including FO Mgr, 10 staffs disappeared

and 20 more guests died there in Anantara only(they have 60 bangalows) "

Anyone with news regarding Le Meridien in that region???

Thank you

I have one faily missing from BRIZA Beach Resort & Spa in Khao Lak

ANy one have idea abt that and where are the people re-located,as from Thai Emergency service they dont know yet, just spoke with them, some how info here is faster time to time,,,any info is much appriciated

or you can im me in hotmail

[email protected]

Edited by MarcoH

Consular support contact numbers released

PHUKET CITY: Throughout this morning many foreign embassies have been busy organizing people at Provincial Hall to be contacted for information about their nationals who may have been caught in yesterday’s deadly tidal wave..

The information presented to Gazette about the countries represented, their representatives and their telephone numbers are as follows:

Belorussia: Ronny Elau 01-8339986.

Britain: Mell James 01-9157805.

Canada: Dico Tremblay 01-8438215.

France: Michee Frebourg 09-8101084.

Germany: Gaudian Lorg 09-0251612, 09-8951776.

India: D. Jayachandran 06-0716431, S. P. Singh 01-6842931.

Israel: Milan Simko 01-6290536.

Italy: Sabwa Sawtarossa 04-7252114, Sevwo Mariella 09-0087438.

Kazakhstan: Saken Seidualiyev 09-8121105.

Kuwait: Faisal Almouttairy 01-9287378, 02-636640.

Norway: Bjorn Bjenkaas 09-4889002, “Gay” Tabtimsy 06-698949 3.

Russia: Vladimir Pronin and Andrei Plam 01-9213280.

Spain: Augustin Rebollo 01-8687507, Saksoro Rochanasiri 01-6327864.

Sweden: Las Hamark 01-8192568, 01-8374519.

Turkey: Awni Aksoy 05-1546741.

Uzbekistan: Vali 01-8483845.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

12:34 local time (GMT +7)

I'm so saddened by all this news. The disbelief and shock yesterday, followed by the depressing feeling this morning as the death toll continues to rise. Luckily, all my friends remained around Bangkok over the festive period, but any one of them could have easily been on Patong or Phi Phi.

There are two people I know from the UK who came here at short notice who I haven’t heard from yet. It’s a high possibility they’re on Phuket right now…

My thoughts are with everybody who has lost somebody in this terrible tragedy.

Update of previous post:

Thailand says at least 461 killed, over 3,800 injured due to tidal waves

PHUKET, Thailand (AFX) - At least 461 people were killed and more than 3,800 injured in southern Thailand due to tidal waves caused by yesterday's earthquake, the interior ministry said.

Phang Nga province was worst hit with 181 reported dead. Some 130 were killed in the resort island of Phuket, 68 died in neighbouring Krabi and 71 were killed in Ranong.

Seven were killed in Satun province and four in Trang province, the ministry's disaster unit said.

An official said 28,894 people had been evacuated from the worst affected areas.

Source: Yahoo News

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/041227/323/f98lx.html

Any news from Kamala Beach?

Through the years I have always enjoyed going there -- one walks down a steep hillside to a narrow cove to a rather private beach. We called it Ali's Place, our name for the good fellow who ran it. Anyone know?

Hi

I have freind who life top of the hill in Kamala and according to her, whole first row houses, in the beach row are more or less gone,, look forum there is some pictures from Kamala also.

-

I heard about four hours ago that Khun Bhumi had been killed, but didn't post the news at that time as it was still a rumor.  I still hope it's not true.

The news has been confirmed. Khun Bhumi's body has been found in Takua Pa, Phang Nga province.

Source (Thai) : http://www.pantip.com/cafe/blueplanet/topi...3/E3200103.html

Donate money:

Government Savings Bank - Acc No: 00-0025-20-0149-72-3

Siam Commercial Bank - Acc No: 111-2-38300-7

Thai Military Bank - Acc No: 021-2-55113-9

Source (Thai) : http://www.pantip.com/cafe/chalermthai/top...3/A3199733.html

My thoughts are with everyone who has been effected by this tragedy.

I still can't reach a friend who works for La Flora in Khao Lak. :o

If anyone knows of a person or persons/groups who are personally bringing aid to the people and are as such looking for donations please let me know and I'll advertise them on my websites and Vietnam forum.

I'll also mention it on the various forums I take part in to help get word out.

We raised over $25,000 in direct aid to help storm victims here in Florida despite being victimized ourselves from Hurricane Charley. Surely some of these same folks will want to help there as well. Most of this came in the form of checks which I cleared thru my business and resent, or via pay pal.

These people are all going to need a wide variety of help including but not limited to drinking water, food, and all basic necessities. Perhaps the owners of Thaivisa could help set something up since they are closer to the impact zone?

There's no time to waste or wait for governments to get there as the mobilization should start now!

Rgrds

Tom Pilitowski A.K.A. Mr Vietnam

http://www.vietventures.com

Edited by mrvietnam2001

If anyone knows of a person or persons/groups who are personally bringing aid to the people and are as such looking for donations please let me know and I'll advertise them on my websites and Vietnam forum.

We raised over $25,000 in direct aid to help storm victims here in Florida despite being victimized ourselves from Hurricane Charley. Surely some of these same folks will want to help there as well. Most of this came in the form of checks which I cleared thru my business and resent, or via pay pal.

These people are all going to need a wide variety of help including but not limited to drinking water, food, and all basic necessities. Perhaps the owners of Thaivisa could help set something up since they are closer to the impact zone?

There's no time to waste or wait for governments to get there as the mobilization should start now!

Rgrds

Tom Pilitowski  A.K.A. Mr Vietnam

Thanks for your kind thoughts Tom. Much appreciated.

Consular support contact numbers released

PHUKET CITY: Throughout this morning many foreign embassies have been busy organizing people at Provincial Hall to be contacted for information about their nationals who may have been caught in yesterday’s deadly tidal wave..

The information presented to Gazette about the countries represented, their representatives and their telephone numbers are as follows:

Belorussia: Ronny Elau 01-8339986.

NOTE TO ALL BELGIANS:

Please note that the abovementioned number for Belorussia is in fact the contactnumber for the representative of the Belgian Embassy, Mr. Ronny Elaut (01 8339986). All Belgians in the affected provinces are strongly urged to contact the Embassy (02 6795457).

Rgrds

Tom Pilitowski  A.K.A. Mr Vietnam

Thanks for your kind thoughts Tom. Much appreciated.

Just trying to Help Doc. I see a lot of hand wringing, but........

Rgrds

Tom

Edited by mrvietnam2001

Death toll of tsunami in southern Thailand rises to nearly 400

PHUKET, Dec 27 (TNA) -- The official death toll from a series of tsunami, caused by one of the world's strongest earthquakes in the Indonesian resort Island of Sumatra, which shook southern Thailand without warning on Sunday morning, has mounted to nearly 400 early Monday morning.

According to the Ministry of Public Health's Narenthorn Centre, the death toll has risen to 392, with over 5,000 injured--many are foreign tourists-- and scores of people still missing, reportedly including Khun Phum Jensen, the son of Princess Ubolrat Rajakanya.

The Thai government issued a statement last night expressing its condolence to families which lost their beloved ones from, or were affected by, the natural catastrophe, the first of its kind in Thailand.

The government would, to its utmost, extend assistance in all possible means to the affected people and families, and restore the damaged areas as urgently as possible, said the statement.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra stayed overnight in the country's southern resort island of Phuket, one of the areas worst hit by the tragedy, to boost the morale of the people and draw up urgent measures to cope with the crisis, which had caught Thailand entirely unprepared.

The prime minister, who yesterday afternoon cut short a political rally in the country's Northeast to make an emergency helicopter flight to Phuket, said after a meeting with local and national officials said that Monday would see further rescue efforts to find the remaining victims.

He ordered a further meeting of all the authorities concerned Monday morning to discuss the updated situation and measures to be taken.

His decision to make an unscheduled overnight stay in Phuket reflects the enormous scale of one of the worst natural disasters to have hit Thailand in recent memory.

But the prime minister confirmed that the worst damage had been done to coastal resorts, and that people in Phuket's main town were safe.

"There are no problems in the town, there's nothing to be afraid of. We have evacuated people, and we will ensure that they are made as convenient as we possibly can in a situation such as this. We have provided beds, and even though it may not be very comfortable, it is safe", the prime minister said.

After speaking to reporters, Mr. Thaksin set off on a helicopter surveillance flight over Takua Pa district in the nearby Phang-nga Province, the area worst hit in the disaster.

Public Health Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan, who visited the doctors and nurses who are desperately trying to provide assistance to the victims of the tragedy, said that relatives were flocking in to collect the bodies of their loved ones.

Last night ambassadors from 25 nations visited Thailand to assess the situation, which has left scores of foreigners dead and injured.

Meanwhile, the Royal Thai Navy rushed to the aid of victims of the tidal waves, which slammed into the southern coastline, sending out helicopters and HMS Chakri Naruebetr in a desperate bid to save tourists and local residents.

Rear-Admiral Pheerasan Watcharamoon, deputy commander of the 2nd Navy Division, said that the navy had sent out two fully-equipped helicopters and teams of medical personnel and divers to provide assistance to people on Koh Phi Phi, where tidal waves have left hundreds of tourists and locals stranded.

Interior Minister Bhokin Bhalakula has ordered the urgent establishment of an English-language tourist call centre to provide emergency relief for the thousands of tourists left stranded and injured in the worst tidal wave disaster ever to hit Thailand.

Mr. Bhokin, who flew to Phuket to liaise with local officials after tidal waves of up to 10 metres crashed into the southern coast yesterday morning, said that he was also coordinating medical relief operations.

Hospitals and health centres on the island have admitted that they have insufficient personnel to cope with the scale of the disaster.

Joining Mr. Bhokin on the southern resort island were Natural Resources and Environment Minister Suwit Khunkitti, Deputy Interior Minister Sutham Saengpratoom, Public Health Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan, and Deputy Prime Minister Chaturon Chaisang.

The interior minister, who said that the call centre would allow foreign tourists to search for information and contact their relatives, added that he had also asked local officials to contact hotels to determine visitor numbers in order to get accurate figures on the number of people missing.

--TNA 2004-12-27

I just heard on CBC that the east coast of Africa was getting hit by the waves, and there were casualties. Has anyone heard about the Nicobar and Andaman Islands fared? They were right in the mouth of this Tsunami.  :o

cv

Just got an update from CNN. Nicobar and Andaman Islands were hit very hard with a death toll exceeding 2000.

cv

edit due to wrong source credited

Edited by cdnvic

NOTE TO ALL BELGIANS:

Please note that the abovementioned number for Belorussia is in fact the contactnumber for the representative of the Belgian Embassy, Mr. Ronny Elaut (01 8339986). All Belgians in the affected provinces are strongly urged to contact the Embassy (02 6795457).

Other contact-numbers for the Belgian Embassy: 02 6795454; fax 02 6795465 and 02 6795467

Earthquake expected to severely hit Phuket’s tourist industry

BANGKOK: -- Several attractive beaches on Thailand's southern island resort of Phuket and the local Phuket Airport have been ruined as a result of Sunday’s earthquake and tsunami.

The full extent of the damage is not yet known.

But already Thailand’s tourist industry is predicting it will cause a major fall in tourists visiting Phuket in the coming months.

The number of visitors could fall by as much as 30 percent, mostly tourists from Europe and the US, during the current high season, the chief of Phuket Tourism Business Association, Patpong Ekvanich predicted.

Phuket’s Pa Tong, Ka Ta and Ka Ron beaches have been badly damaged by the natural calamities, and this is very likely to make foreign tourists cancel their planned journeys, said Mr. Patpong.

Phuket did not have high-rise buildings; so the earthquake damage should be minimal, compared to Indonesia where many tourists are expected to cancel their trips, according to the president of Thai Tourism Service Association,

Anek Srichivachart.

Meanwhile, the Thai government has ordered officials of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) in the provinces to closely monitor the situation and provide assistance to foreign tourists.

The TAT board called an emergency meeting on Sunday, the Tourism and Sports minister Sontaya Kunplome, told TNA.

Several private tourist agencies were invited to attend the meeting to discuss measures to solve the problems now facing the industry.

--TNA 2004-12-27

This is a request for information regarding a resident of Phuket.

His name: Christopher William Mock (a farang)

His wife: Khae Mock (Thai, family name unknown)

Runs the Chill Bar in Phuket, near the entrance to Paradise Waterfalls.

His sister is trying to find out information about his condition.

I have checked the list and his name does not appear (which is some good news).

Can anyone in Phuket get any further information so I can forward it on.

Thanks

spog

CORRECTION: Not in Phuket, the bar is in Suratthani -so it should be okay!

that's some good news, anyway

Edited by spog

Just heard from a friend who lives in Khao Lak, but who has a boat in Chalong Harbor. He said the harbor was relatively untouched -- some small craft overturned. I guess this is a bit of good news as I'd expected the harbor to have been a disaster zone.

The harbour is quiet at this time but the pier is gone. Didn't go down there but the places along the beach walk must be gone too. :o

Phuket did not have high-rise buildings; so the earthquake damage should be minimal, compared to Indonesia where many tourists are expected to cancel their trips, according to the president of Thai Tourism Service Association,

Anek Srichivachart.

Huh? No high-rise buildings in Phuket? Has Mr. Anek BEEN to Phuket in the last 20 years???

South Asia - AFP

AFP

Fresh tremors hit India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands

10 minutes ago

South Asia - AFP

NEW DELHI (AFP) - Fresh tremors shook India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a day after tidal waves triggered by a massive underground earthquake killed at least 4,278 people in southern India, an official said.

"There have been aftershocks in the Andaman region and Sumatra since morning. The magnitude of these shocks have ranged from 5.5 to 6.0 on the Richter scale," said H.P. Shukla, a meteorologist at the Indian Meteorological Department.

The Andaman and Nicobar Islands were close to the epicentre of the Indonesian earthquake Sunday that triggered killer tsunami throughout Asia.

Shukla added that there was no word about damage. The Press Trust of India (news - web sites) reported at least 1,000 people died in the islands.

The meteorologist department warned aftershocks could trigger "big waves" in the region and that people "should not venture to go near the coastline."

But it added the waves were not going to be as powerful as Sunday's killer tidal wave that swept men, women and children out to sea.

"The sea will be rough in the area, but not like Sunday's," Shukla said.

The low-lying area of Car Nicobar was one of the worst-affected with one Indian Air Force base sustaining extensive damage.

"We are trying to reach all the places. But many of the spots are strewn with trees. So it is difficult," said Ram Kapse, lieutenant governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

The giant tidal waves triggered by a powerful earthquake in Indonesia swept the coasts of the southern states of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, leaving a trail of death and destruction in many other parts of Asia.

The killer waves came unexpectedly, with emergency teams only getting scant warning.

South Asia - AFP

AFP

Fresh tremors hit India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands

10 minutes ago

South Asia - AFP

NEW DELHI (AFP) - Fresh tremors shook India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a day after tidal waves triggered by a massive underground earthquake killed at least 4,278 people in southern India, an official said.

"There have been aftershocks in the Andaman region and Sumatra since morning. The magnitude of these shocks have ranged from 5.5 to 6.0 on the Richter scale," said H.P. Shukla, a meteorologist at the Indian Meteorological Department.

The Andaman and Nicobar Islands were close to the epicentre of the Indonesian earthquake Sunday that triggered killer tsunami throughout Asia.

Shukla added that there was no word about damage. The Press Trust of India (news - web sites) reported at least 1,000 people died in the islands.

The meteorologist department warned aftershocks could trigger "big waves" in the region and that people "should not venture to go near the coastline."

But it added the waves were not going to be as powerful as Sunday's killer tidal wave that swept men, women and children out to sea.

"The sea will be rough in the area, but not like Sunday's," Shukla said.

The low-lying area of Car Nicobar was one of the worst-affected with one Indian Air Force base sustaining extensive damage.

"We are trying to reach all the places. But many of the spots are strewn with trees. So it is difficult," said Ram Kapse, lieutenant governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

The giant tidal waves triggered by a powerful earthquake in Indonesia swept the coasts of the southern states of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, leaving a trail of death and destruction in many other parts of Asia.

The killer waves came unexpectedly, with emergency teams only getting scant warning.

The following site shows a second quake 7.3 on the scale near the Nicobar Islands approx 3.5 hours after the Sumatra one. Look for magnitude over 7 link

http://wwwneic.cr.usgs.gov/neis/eqlists/10maps_world.html

This was also reported in the West Australian Newspaper here.