Bangkok Rock Climbing?

Hi Guys, I was hoping I could find somebody who might be able to help.

I arrived in Bangkok Dec 30th for new year and will be staying in the city a few more days before moving on. I'm trying to hunt down a few indoor rock climbing gyms in the city and so far I am not having much luck. I researched a few spots before arriving but online information is very limited.

I have so far found "The Cave" on the Khaosan, however this wall is more of a novelty feature in a rather overpriced bar. And it's now closed (the wall, not the bar).

Strike 2 was "Bangkok Rock Climbing" at 531 Soi Ratchavitee 21. This place was easy enough to find (River Boat and a 10 minute walk from Sapan Krung Thon Pier) but when I arrived, the shutters were down. Granted, it was new years eve and I wasn't expecting it to be open but mixed reports from locals suggest the place no longer runs and I cannot get an answer from the number (02-433-6417-8).

I'm going to check the Racquet Club later today as it looks credible, but as a long-time-reader-first-time-poster to TV I was hoping a friendly rock climbing expat would be able to share some local knowledge. I know the south is more popular for the sport, but if there is a scene in Bangkok I would like to check it out before moving on.

Thanks guys, I'll check back later today for a responce.

-Nick.</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>

I arrived in Bangkok Dec 30th for new year and will be staying in the city a few more days before moving on. I'm trying to hunt down a few indoor rock climbing gyms in the city and so far I am not having much luck. I researched a few spots before arriving but online information is very limited.

I have so far found "The Cave" on the Khaosan, however this wall is more of a novelty feature in a rather overpriced bar. And it's now closed (the wall, not the bar).

Strike 2 was "Bangkok Rock Climbing" at 531 Soi Ratchavitee 21. This place was easy enough to find (River Boat and a 10 minute walk from Sapan Krung Thon Pier) but when I arrived, the shutters were down. Granted, it was new years eve and I wasn't expecting it to be open but mixed reports from locals suggest the place no longer runs and I cannot get an answer from the number (02-433-6417-8).

I'm going to check the Racquet Club later today as it looks credible, but as a long-time-reader-first-time-poster to TV I was hoping a friendly rock climbing expat would be able to share some local knowledge. I know the south is more popular for the sport, but if there is a scene in Bangkok I would like to check it out before moving on.

Nick

No response it looks like, no wall climbers here in BKK?

As an alternative, there's lots of real rock walls just about 125 km north of Bangkok, take the left at Saraburi to Lop Buri and along the road you'll see a bunch of nice limestone walls, many of which won't be around in the next few years as they'll have been turned in to condos and hotels and shopping malls in Bangkok.

Mac

Can second the BIG C Supermarket on Lat Phrao road as a good option. My daughter climbs there. The fella who runs it is called Majid and is clued up with what he's doing. He's got good contacts for climbing around the country as well, so a handy fella to know. Think its about 100 Thb (may be 200?) - my kid is a member so we pay a different rate.

Take the BTS to Mo-chit (weekend market stop), which is the end of the line and from there any taxi driver will know "BIG C LAD PLOUGH" - as it's said. not as its written :o

Happy climbing...

Hello again!

I'd like to post quickly to provide a little closure to the thread. Hopefully it will be of use to others looking for the same in the future.

Big thanks to whooliggen, madjbs and thanyaburimac for the replies, I appreciate the up to date information. From what I have found, Bangkok does have something to offer in terms of indoor climbing but is perhaps more suited to a climber here on a more permanent basis. I visted the Racquet Club today and despite a pretty steep entry fee (550 Baht today- 450 on a weekday for a non-member) the wall is of a high standard with a great (I assume local?) community. Still no confirmation "Bangkok Rock Climbing" is alive today, the shutters are still down and no reply when ringing. I would have liked to have investigated BIG C Supermarket on Lat Phrao, but will be moving on shortly. I know I will be back in BKK over the coming weeks so seriously, thankyou whooliggen for the tip I will be sure to check it out.

Thanks for moving the topic sbk, as this thread appears 6th when "Bangkok Rock Climbing" is googled hopefully others will benefit.

-Nick.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick, hi everybody

I'm Fabien, I'm french and found your conversation as the 6th result in Google when typing climbing Bangkok... It does work ;-)

I'm also looking for indoor climbing in Bangkok for a few days and all I got so far is the closed gate of The Cave Pub...

So if you have come back to Bkk maybe we could meet each other ? Otherwise maybe you have some useful informations to give me?

I plan to go to the south of thailand (KRABI) in order to climb in a feew days/weeks... If some climbers are intersted, just let me know, I look forward enter "Thai Climbing Land" :-)

Thank you in advance for your response.

Fab

[email protected]

• 1 month later...

I'd like to know the BKK climbing options too. I found this via search:

Rock climbing wall in Bangkok near bts

Current mood:elevated

Category: Sports Get in touch with your inner monkey! If you are fit enough to bowl or go dancing, you can rock climb. And don't be afraid. Rock climbing is safe, fun, easy for beginners and very social.

There is a fiberglass rock climbing wall near the Ekkamai BTS station that anyone can use. It is on the grounds of the Bangkok Planetarium and Science Center complex on Sukhumvit between sois 40-42.

There is a sports complex (building 6) with an olympic size swimming pool and ashpalt soccer field. The climbing wall is outdoors along the service road beside the pool.

You can rent all the equipment you need for only 50 baht per person in the office beside the swimming pool.

However, you have to know what you are doing. The staff do not speak English. As far as I can tell, you have to make arrangements in advance if you need instruction or a guide, and pay more.

The wall is closed Monday. It seems to remain open as long as the sun is up.

Warning: You have to climb the scaffolding at the back to put up a top rope. Also, some of the footholds will twist when you are climbing. The wall sometimes feels like it is swaying when you are near the top, but I believe that it is secure. The staff assure me it is safe and children use it regularly.

I would like to go Thursday at 1:30 if anyone can join me. I can teach you everything. Male, female, old, young, doesn't matter, it's just for fun.

This is a picture of the closest entrance to the climbing wall. It is near Sukhumvit soi 42 across from a mall with a theater and a bowling alley. From this gate, you go straight about 50 meters and take the first right.

Those posts were 2 years old though... is that place still around? How does it compare to the others mentioned in this topic?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry folks to come to the thread late. I can confirm that the Hua Mark wall is still there but it is showing signs of neglect. I used to climb there 2/3 years back but it isn't used much nowadays thus the neglect.

Big C on Lat Phrao is still the best, although the fees are relatively steep for what it is, it is the best game in town.

I haven't been for a year but there is great climbing near Bangkok. The Saraburi site has been mentioned already, but the best stuff is probably in Lopburi or Phetburi (Khao Yoi). There used to be a site up and running about climbing around Bangkok but it is down now. You can find it on wayback under www.simonfoley.com/climbing. Great site and has a wealth of info.

• 1 year later...

Rock-Walls at Racket Club (Sukkhumvit Soi 49) are quite good and the nice team is proactive in setting or participating to event in Thailand.

Should have a look there.

Yearly fee for the club (that includes tennis, bad, squash, pool, fitness center) is less than 15,000 THB for single. I pay around 25,000 THB for my family (wife+2 kids +me), my 3rd year there. Wall was open a year ago or so

Edited by fleming

• 2 weeks later...

It would be so nice if some other climbing gyms opened up again. I researched the gyms here before moving to Thailand 3 years ago, and while there was a nice bouldering gym near Saphan Thaksin BTS for a while, they shut down really quickly. If I lived in the east end of town I'd probably love the place on Sukhumwit, (I've never been, but heard many good things), or I'd even play at Big-C, (although the last time I went, their safety standards seemed a bit lacking in my opinion), but I live on the other side of the river in Pinklao.

Everything near here closed a while ago, so while I had grand plans of joining the community and doing lots of climbing here, (I brought all my trad and sport gear, I have quite a bit), I haven't touched rock for the better part of 3 years. The tone and muscle I had when I came to Thailand is gone, but I'd still love to have somewhere close to start out again at. I know I could take my lazy ass out of town, but that would still involve buses, as I refuse to buy a car while I live in BKK. I also wouldn't trust myself on the live end of a rope right now, so I'd be stuck top-roping.

I even brought some holds to make a hang board with, but it's much more difficult to find good plywood here, and somewhere to set it up. If anyone has any ideas, or more info, I'd love to hear it!

Here is the old SimonFoley.com site, but I don't think you can post:

http://simonfoley.com/forum/viewforum.php?...1664eac8308030e

About Racquet club, I am a member and if you go regularly it is worth it to be a year long member which gives you access to the gym, pool, tennis, badminton, squash, ROCK CLIMBING unlimited.

The daily fee is kinda expensive though 350, unlimited for a day if i remember correctly.

The rock climbing looks impressive, they have this realistic looking cliff for you to climb up as well as the standard straight verticle wall

If i can find pictures ill post again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking for some kind of beginner-level instruction. I've been to the Racquet Club once; the staff are helpful and willing to provide basic instruction, but the focus seems to be more on doing it yourself (I guess that's the case everywhere).

So really I'm hoping to find myself a climbing partner so that I can practice without getting the feeling I'm imposing on the staff too much... Dunno if you'd be interested?

• 2 months later...

It would be so nice if some other climbing gyms opened up again. I researched the gyms here before moving to Thailand 3 years ago, and while there was a nice bouldering gym near Saphan Thaksin BTS for a while, they shut down really quickly. If I lived in the east end of town I'd probably love the place on Sukhumwit, (I've never been, but heard many good things), or I'd even play at Big-C, (although the last time I went, their safety standards seemed a bit lacking in my opinion), but I live on the other side of the river in Pinklao.

Everything near here closed a while ago, so while I had grand plans of joining the community and doing lots of climbing here, (I brought all my trad and sport gear, I have quite a bit), I haven't touched rock for the better part of 3 years. The tone and muscle I had when I came to Thailand is gone, but I'd still love to have somewhere close to start out again at. I know I could take my lazy ass out of town, but that would still involve buses, as I refuse to buy a car while I live in BKK. I also wouldn't trust myself on the live end of a rope right now, so I'd be stuck top-roping.

I even brought some holds to make a hang board with, but it's much more difficult to find good plywood here, and somewhere to set it up. If anyone has any ideas, or more info, I'd love to hear it!

Here is the old SimonFoley.com site, but I don't think you can post:

http://simonfoley.com/forum/viewforum.php?...1664eac8308030e

HI 007,W where did you buy the holds here in thailand as i would like to buy some to make my own bouldering wall for me and the kids, i live nesr korat, but will go anywhere to but them,[bkk].

thanks

cat

I'm also looking for some kind of beginner-level instruction. I've been to the Racquet Club once; the staff are helpful and willing to provide basic instruction, but the focus seems to be more on doing it yourself (I guess that's the case everywhere).

So really I'm hoping to find myself a climbing partner so that I can practice without getting the feeling I'm imposing on the staff too much... Dunno if you'd be interested?

Have you found an instructor yet? I have been wanting to try out rock climbing but not sure if I'd need an instructor for the first time.

• 3 months later...

Hello, fellow climbers. I am an American retiree who has been living in the greater Bangkok area for over 4 years now, and I really miss climbing.

I have been thinking of checking out this racquet club on the east side of town, almost solely because of its climbing wall. But it is a long distance away for me (I live up in Bangkruai, Nonthaburi), so I would want to make sure that I would use it a lot. I hope to visit it soon to check out what options they offer.

If anyone is interested in a climbing partner, please let me know. I am 60 years old and my level of climbing over four decades was always in the moderate grades. I was primarily self-taught from books but also attended two climbing schools in New Hampshire. I mostly did solo climbing (roped solo or free solo) along with leading rope teams and doing a lot of top-roping. I also have a lot of experience as an instructor for beginners and for Boy Scout Explorer groups. I do not know the latest gadgets, but I know the ropes.

Zenwind: Climbing log, Reviews, Poems.

http://zenwind.blogspot.com

(Click INDEX link “a Climbing log” to navigate categories.)

• 2 months later...

anyone interested in climbing in BKK - let me know.

I was an instructor for 10years in the UK, moved to thailand 3.5 years ago and havent touched it. Am off to Krabi in about a month and was going to head to the raquet club to get a little bit of training in before doing a little bit down south.

let me know if anyone is interested!

Paddy

• 4 weeks later...

Chiang Rai is a bit far from Bangkok (but so is Krabi), yet there is outdoor rock climbing going on there. Similar with most of Thailand, it's limestone karst, the upper reaches usually sharper (and blacker) than the smoother lower parts (whitish, yellowish, pinkish). Actually, if you scratch any part of the dark gray rock, you're likely to see pure white crystalline rock.

There are several crags near Chiang Rai, mostly NW of town, though they're most often vine-covered and tough to access. There is, however, a section of cleaned rock with 2 dozen routes and a potential for many more routes. The developed routes are top-rope with fixed anchors (heavy chain with truck axel U-bolts) cemented in. All skill levels. Those routes are at Boomerang Park

There are also a pair of 160 meter zip lines there, and a 9 hole frisbee golf course (free use for anyone). Boomerang also has four traverse climbing routes - each has double 6 mm steel cables fixed horizontally. Plus, there are two tightropes, each about 8 meters long, with overhead 10 mm steel safety cables.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys:

If Anyone wants a climbing partner, do let me know. I enjoy top roping most of the time and my level is not very high (about 6A). Well, I just love to do it but have not been climbing for a long time while based in bangkok for about 2 yrs already. I can do either Racquet Club (have done a few times, but I do find it very expensive) or Big C Lad prao (have never been there). Do PM me to climb together. I'm asian by the way.

Justin

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

My name is Tony from Hong Kong, I will be back from Krabi at 21 Sep 2011 and stay in Bangkok until to 25 Sep and looking for indoor Climbing partner. my level is around 6A, please PM me if interseting. And if climber here travel to Hong Kong, I can go with you to some outdoor/indoor climbing place .

Thanks,

Tony

anyone interested in climbing in BKK - let me know.

I was an instructor for 10years in the UK, moved to thailand 3.5 years ago and havent touched it. Am off to Krabi in about a month and was going to head to the raquet club to get a little bit of training in before doing a little bit down south.

let me know if anyone is interested!

Paddy

hi!! my name is lara. i am spanish, and i am moving to bkk in 3 weeks to live a year there working for spanish embassy. I am really interested in beginning climbing in bkk this year, and this forum is all I found in google with a little bit of content.

I am an absolute beginner, and I am looking for a place to begin indoor climbing, partners to join me or maybe even a teacher??

please anybody contact me << Use PM >>

thaaaaaaaanks!

Edited by thaiphoon
E-mail address removed per forum rules