Any English Radio Stations Round Krabi

Daffy D

As the title says.

Fed up with poor scheduling and endless repeats so have canceled our UBC contract. Have plenty of movies that I've not watched and can get enough free programs from the Internet to have plenty of TV viewing and save nearly 30k a year.

Used the seek feature on the radio but came up with mostly Thai talk, looking for something with English news and mostly music. If I can get the frequency's can then adjust my ariel to it.

Cheers. :o

BBCIPLAYER All UK stations OR Itunes Radio as 100s

Thanks "kennkate" but I'm looking for local (Krabi) terrestrial stations that I can pick up on the radio not using the computer.

:o

Edited by Daffy D

I think Kennkate is referring to BBC Radio player. You can listen to the BBC radio channels from anywhere. I listen to BBC radio 5 on my mobile phone when driving around Bangkok.

Edited by bkkmick

I think Kennkate is referring to BBC Radio player. You can listen to the BBC radio channels from anywhere. I listen to BBC radio 5 on my mobile phone when driving around Bangkok.

Wow! Since two months ago the BBC forced all the radio stations except BBC World to use iPlayer and thereby blocked access to internet users. But you may have found a flaw. It must depend on the protocol of your phone. Does it use "iPlayer"? Have you accessed the BBC stations such as BBC radio 5 by the internet?

I have foudn I can download podcasts but cannot listen live and cannot use the "listen again" function. Have you discovered a "work-around"?

SInce the entire of Western civilisation depends on this, I await your answer with some trepidation.

You can indeed listen to ALL BBC Radio Even UK Local Radio Via Real Player FREE Download Available

Just go to BBC Site Sorry No TV Outside the UK

Most Local Stations go on to 5 Live Before 6 AM UK Time Dont forget That's 7 Hrs Later

So You wont get Live Local Radio untill 1 PM Thai Time

I Think 5 Live is 24 Hrs

Happy listening

I dont know whether the broadcasts are recorded or live but you can listen to every station in the UK. I am at this moment listening to radio 1 and they just mentioned that it is saturday morning (which of course it still is over there). So try it and see."realplayer"

HL :o

Is there any work-around for the "play again" option on the BBC websites for the radio stations?

Does realplayer somehow override iplayer if you have it as your default?

Let me make you a challenge: try to listen right now to an old episode of Moral Maze on Radio 4...

Thanks in advance

(p.s. I note that Radio 6, 5 Live and the local stations are "International"-- this means you can listen if there is no copyright material. Wait for Wimbledon to see them get blocked)

Is there any work-around for the "play again" option on the BBC websites for the radio stations?

Let me make you a challenge: try to listen right now to an old episode of Moral Maze on Radio 4...

Thanks in advance

Most BBC Radio programmes (live sports broadcasts usually excepted) are available for upto 7 days via the Listen Again facility even in Thailand. The Radio 4 Listen Again programmes are listed on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml

It's not possible to listen to any broadcasts of Moral Maze at the moment because none have been broadcast in the last 7 days

Thanks in advance

Most BBC Radio programmes (live sports broadcasts usually excepted) are available for upto 7 days via the Listen Again facility even in Thailand. The Radio 4 Listen Again programmes are listed on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml

It's not possible to listen to any broadcasts of Moral Maze at the moment because none have been broadcast in the last 7 days

Through that link it all seems to be blocked. Just tried it and no luck. Have you actually managed to listen?

I'm a regular listener to BBC Radio, usually with no problems, unless the BBC site is having problems. I tried several programmes on that page before posting the link and they all worked fine.

Click on the link, select a programme. and click on Listen. A pop-up window should appear and the programme should start. If it doesn't start automatically, click on the Play button.

If you don't get the pop-up window then I suspect your browser settings may need adjusting, but I'm no expert in this.

BBCIPLAYER All UK stations OR Itunes Radio as 100s

Thanks "kennkate" but I'm looking for local (Krabi) terrestrial stations that I can pick up on the radio not using the computer.

Back in the 80's I used to listen to the BBC on short wave band. You can still do that today around Krabi, but seems a bit retro doesn't it? Is this what you want after tossing the TV dish?

I'm a regular listener to BBC Radio, usually with no problems, unless the BBC site is having problems. I tried several programmes on that page before posting the link and they all worked fine.

Click on the link, select a programme. and click on Listen. A pop-up window should appear and the programme should start. If it doesn't start automatically, click on the Play button.

If you don't get the pop-up window then I suspect your browser settings may need adjusting, but I'm no expert in this.

This is very strange. It is not working in exactly the same way that certain, but only certain stations, are blocked on the regular iPlayer. If you go to the terms and conditions it says they are blocked out of the UK. So that must mean your computer is pulling off an impressive move. Can anyone else confirm they can do this?

If it is only you, my guess is your computer is old...

Back in the 80's I used to listen to the BBC on short wave band. You can still do that today around Krabi, but seems a bit retro doesn't it? Is this what you want after tossing the TV dish?

Yea! I too used to listen to Short Wave, but trouble with that is they keep changing the frequencies throughout the day also my radio (part of music center) only has AM and VHF.

If it is only you, my guess is your computer is old...

Well, your right on that point. It's a 2 year old HP Pavillion 3.0 Ghz PC using Windows XP SP2, I've been meaning to upgrade but have yet to get around to it. However, I don't think that is the point.

On the programmes I listen to there are many E-Mails that are read out from overseas listeners and if you read the messageboards where listeners discuss shows, there again most are from overseas listeners.

• 1 month later...

Am currently listening to 89.0 FM. This seems to have the least talking and plays Farang music, also after tweaking the wires for a couple of days the reception is quite good.

"MCStevieC" will have a tune into your station later today but I think Ao Nang may a bit far away for good reception but will give it a go.

Cheers

www.shoutcast.com (internet radio stations)

www.justin.tv (plenty of "independent" TV channels)

www.atdhe.net (live sports with decent quality and live international TV)

With atdhe I enjoyed the Aussie open without commercial breaks and annoying commentating.

I enjoy NHL icehockey daily. A plethora of matches to choose from every day.

There are plenty more sites, but this ought to get anyone started.

Anyone still paying thousands of baht for "TV" needs to reconsider.

One note. I suggest a 2 mbps internet connection for best viewing on atdhe (and kill your torrents for un-interrupted streaming).

Am currently listening to 89.0 FM. This seems to have the least talking and plays Farang music, also after tweaking the wires for a couple of days the reception is quite good.

"MCStevieC" will have a tune into your station later today but I think Ao Nang may a bit far away for good reception but will give it a go.

Cheers

So you are going to restrict the rest of your life of English language radio to what you can receive on your AM/FM radio by tweaking your "aerial" around the Ao Nang region?

Good luck pal.

So you are going to restrict the rest of your life of English language radio to what you can receive on your AM/FM radio by tweaking your "aerial" around the Ao Nang region?

Good luck pal.

Guess it's my fault for not being clear enough. What I was looking for was a "LOCAL" radio station that would not have too much talking and "maybe" have some news in English.

I tried to find a suitable station by using seek on my music center radio (that's where the radio scans through the available frequencies and stops when there is a strong enough signal, from a station)

Now correct me if I'm wrong in this, but FM is directional and whereas if you are in a strong reception area you can pick up a station without much problem if you are on the fringes you need to have your antenna orientated in the right direction. Hence my request for stations with their transmitting frequencies so I can adjust my antenna accordingly instead if just waving it about in the air hoping to pick something up.

What I was looking for was a "LOCAL" radio station that would not have too much talking and "maybe" have some news in English.

Ah ok, you just want local and not world wide English language news. Thats what had me confused as the latter is all over the net already and no need for a radio for that anymore. I guess the local radio down that way has still some catching up to do.