Thai Compassion

Insight

I've read two articles on the BBC News website that have displayed the Thai commitment to assisting everybody, regardless of nationality, caught up in yesterdays tragic tsunami. On the previous topic in the news section, there's posts mentioning how people are still managing to wear a smile, despite the dreadful circumstances.

We all have our moans about the authorities from time to time, but moments like this remind me why I love this country and will continue to live here as long as is feasable.

I personally feel the need to show a large amount of gratitude to the Thai people for their invaluable assistance through the tough times people in the south are facing.

Most Thai people struggle day to day and they give nothing for granted. There are many things in the Thai characted that deserve all our admiration and respect.

Most times I get sick of reading the arrogance and ignorance of the farangs.

It is refreshing to meet in this forum people like you guys. :o

Amen! For those who were complaining in another thread about the poor response of the Thai Media, let me first of all add to Lopburi3's comments; two radio stations were right on the ball very early after the quake hit and then right after the first waves hit LOS. pumping out info and updates. My TG was delivering a running commentary to me while we were on the road.

Yesterday was a sight to behold. I saw Thais carrying several injured farangs. I saw women in the parking lots of hospitals and in general areas of the city rushing to aid hurt farangs. Thais were just simply "shining".

The radio station FM 89 and 95 (or is it 95.5?) was asking Thais to immediately rush to any farang's aid and buy them shoes or clothes (if such were deemded necessary) and then, get this -- to feed them anywhere nearby, REGARDLESS of cost.

These same stations were advising Thais to take these farangs to their respective "base of rescue operations" and contact numbers/addresses were issued.

God bless Thailand!

Edited by RDN

Amen!  For those who were complaining in another thread about the poor response of the Thai Media, let me first of all add to Lopburi3's comments; two radio stations were right on the ball very early after the quake hit  and then right after the first waves hit LOS. pumping out info and updates.  My TG was delivering a running commentary to me while we were on the road. 

Yesterday was a sight to behold.  I saw Thais carrying several injured farangs.  I saw women in the parking lots of hospitals and in general areas of the city rushing to aid hurt farangs.  Thais were just simply "shining".

The radio station FM 89 and 95 (or is it 95.5?) was asking Thais to immediately rush to any farang's aid and buy them shoes or clothes (if such were deemded necessary) and then, get this -- to feed them anywhere nearby,  REGARDLESS of cost.

These same stations were advising Thais to take these farangs to their respective "base of rescue operations" and contact  numbers/addresses were issued.

oh your so tough trolemister!!!! :o:D

Edited by RDN

Once more Thai people have demonstrated to us that we should respect them the way they are, for whom they are. Great people and human.

I am sure that in this moment of tragedy most of us want to assist with something significant as Dr Pat Pong suggested.

I straggle in Forums arguing with farangs who disrespect, denigrate and insult Thai people in one or another way (can give 1000s samples).

Now an in the future It would suggest that administrators take a more effective role in controlling these people who escape with their insults thanks to our indiference and silence. We owe this to Thai people.

Edited by WernerS

As a frequent quest to this site I have been mobilised into joining the forum to add my 2 satangs worth...

I find it refreshing that the world is recognising the generosity and good-naturedness of the Thai people, and I am honoured and proud to be associated with them.

I love this country.

As a frequent quest to this site I have been mobilised into joining the forum to add my 2 satangs worth...

I find it refreshing that the world is recognising the generosity and good-naturedness of the Thai people, and I am honoured and proud to be associated with them.

I love this country.

Me too, Jai Dee. Never let the nattering nabobs of negativism get you down. Thailand has been and continues to be a great country for over 2,500 years.

Welcome aboard...

Boon Mee

Once more Thai people have demonstrated to us that we should respect them the way they are, for whom they are. Great people and human.

I am sure that in this moment of tragedy most of us want to assist with something significant as Dr Pat Pong suggested.

I straggle in Forums arguing with farangs who disrespect, denigrate and insult Thai people in one or another way (can give 1000s samples).

Now an in the future It would suggest that administrators take a more effective role in controlling these people who escape with their insults thanks to our indiference and silence. We owe this to Thai people.

Thanks, man! and to all others who see through all the bull**** posted by never and nowhere satisfied grumblers ...

when I have told my g/f that some in this Forum said that Taksin doesn't want foreign aid for some plitical reasons - she told me it is not like that. she explained that he didn't refuse help but rather requested foreign governments to help NOT ONLY their own people - but Thais as well. because 1st world countries obviously have superior arrangements for such disaster relief programs. she said that German system is almost examplery..... BUT the problem is - all those foreign relief missions are trying to help their own people first - if not only. and that is not fair - is it? coz as mentioned in many posts in this thread - Thais don't discriminate whom to help. then why should discriminate foreign missions? I feel ashamed hearing such things !

simple people from 3rd world country with inferior system of relief and lack of other things - they simply do, without talking too much. but "superior" 1st world developed individuals and missions - talk more than do and yet try to "teach life" to others ! such a typical arrogance of "superior" race ! :o

once more - nice to read such post as this and to know that there are sincere and honest people around here !

I am not a farang but a Chinese Singaporean who spent 6mths in BKK last yr, aprt from short biz trips over the last couple of yrs.

Been lurking ard here after going thru' the thread, I can't help wanting to scream..."I LOVE THAIS" !!

My heart goes out to the ppl. Ever since the disaster, my heart weeps whenever I see images of Thais, both victims & samaritarians on TV.

God Bless The Thais !!

I can't agree more. When things are rough, they're always there and comes from the heart.

I have talked to George. We hope that we can do something worthwhile

Please do. There was support for my post of a Farang Rak Thai Fund to help Thais who've lost loved ones and businesses. It's a way that we can show we care about our neighbours and hosts. Call it what you will..but let's DO IT, okay? You guys have the infrastructure..team up with ITV or some other Thai charity that can implement the reconstruction/aid. Thaigene.

Please do. There was support for my post of a Farang Rak Thai Fund to help Thais who've lost loved ones and businesses. It's a way that we can show we care about our neighbours and hosts. Call it what you will..but let's DO IT, okay? You guys have the infrastructure..team up with ITV or some other Thai charity that can implement the reconstruction/aid. Thaigene.

well, if you refer to my remarks - I didn't mean that it is bad idea - I just said that should be right motivation - sincere and genuine, not for any political reasons but just out of heart desire to help.

but the idea iself is brilliant!

While it is very notable that so much help is given to the Farang in the disaster-struck area, I can't help but think of the motives behind this. Recently I heard from my (Thai) sister that there is a growing resentment amongst Thai people about the way help is administered to the victims of the southern disaster. More specifically, they are frustrated that way too much attention is paid to helping Farang victims, neglecting the needs of the Thai. In other words, when it comes to distributing medical supplies and other stuff, it's "Farang first - Thai second", according to the complaint. They see it as a way to secure the continuous influx of tourism to the area. The Farang, swayed by the extraordinary care and attention, will less likely to avoid Thailand in the future. They say, it is a way to minimize the losses of the tourism sector - on the expense of the Thai victims.

You don't think so? Well, then how about this... do you guys know about the Death Railway and the Hellfire Pass, in Kanchanaburi? I've been there, seen it, and stood on the bridge over the River Kwai (it is called Khwae, actually). I read about and visited the graves of the 16,000 POWs who perished making the bridge and railway. But, strangely, I heard nothing of the 100,000 (!!) Asian laborers who also perished by the same fate. Had to dig into the literature to find out that there is a museum somewhere in Kanchanaburi where their skeletons are displayed.

What does this have to do with the above? Well, I just find it strange that proper respect is paid to the POWs - people who came here on "kill or to be killed" terms to begin with - while the innocent civilians who also died by this forced labor are so rudely neglected - just because they are Asians.

Open any guidebook, there are likely to be pages written about the heroic demise of the POWs, while the Asian laborers are lucky to be mentioned in a footnote. Onehundred-thousand koolees die, who cares, right?

I see the same thing happening here.

Edited by SiamJai

according to the complaint. They see it as a way to secure the continuous influx of tourism to the area. The Farang, swayed by the extraordinary care and attention, will less likely to avoid Thailand in the future. They say, it is a way to minimize the losses of the tourism sector - on the expense of the Thai victims.

Cold-hearted it may be, but the long-term future depends on all that foreign money coming into the country. If it dries up, or even dwindles, then economic problems would affect all Thais not just the victims. Thailand is continually producing more Thais, so that supply isn't likely to dwindle.

As a priority it makes economic sense, ruthless though it looks.

SiamJai...Your post is interesting. While I agree with what others have said about the Thais being super helpful in the midst of all that's going on in the South you have to wonder if those in power are playing both sides...that is the humanitarian aide side as well as the side that wants to protect tourism which translates to $$$$. Do those in power really need to tell Thais to go help the foreigners? I think not...those Thais that are caring will do so automatically without anyone telling them to do so. This is the same in any country. Yes, Thais can be very generous and will often go out of their way to assist others and make their stay comfortable whether during a vacation or during a crisis such as this. However, I would not approve of the Thai media and tourism industries using these heroic/compassionate stories and pictures as a backdrop to promote tourism. I don't blame local Thais for getting angry at being told to attend to foreigners first as it makes them look less important than us. I say take care of the most critical cases first (life-threatening injuries, etc) and work down from there and while doing so take care of everyone at the same time. I think if the media keeps their mouths shut, the compassionate Thais will show their true colors on their own. :o

I to have been a frequent guest/lurker on these boards. I joined today much because I want to express my great sympathy and love for the Thai people.

They are a great great people and deserves respect and appreciation to the fullest!

If you guys can construct the Farang Rak Thai Fund in a way so that us living outside Thailand also can contribute I would definitely add my share!

I can add a story from here in Sweden about how the altruism shown by a poor Thai guy can generate mutual altruism in the Swedish family father he helped. It was on News here the other day.

The Swedish family as well as the Thai guy was survivors in Khao Lak if I remember correctly. The Thai guy took the family to his house outside Khao Lak after the disaster. He feed them, gave them water and clothes without a thought about his own wellbeing. After they managed to get to Bangkok the Swedes are now back home in Sweden.

The Father of this family was interviewed on the same day they arrived. He was deeply touched by the generosity of the Thai guy. "We are back home safe and we have everything here. He had nothing but he gave us everything just the same..."

In response the Swedish guy imediately upon returning home had started calling all his relatives and friends asking them to donate money. At the time of the interview he had already collected quite a lot. When ready raising money he will send or hand it over to his Thai helper personally in order to help for his family and village neigbours to recover after loosing work, family members and more.

It's not just Thais that do an incredible job these days. Also many, many of you expats do!!

Big Thanks!!

In other words, when it comes to distributing medical supplies and other stuff, it's "Farang first - Thai second", according to the complaint.

I would be willing to bet that this stems from the fact that Thais are seen/thought to be capable of finding help on their own since they are native. The Farangs, on the other hand, don't speak the language, don't know the procedures, don't have relatives in the country... etc.

Thais will help Thais without a second thought either. But right now, the rest of the world is focused on the farangs - and so that's what is being seen, even by Thais - especially if they are overseas and have to rely on CNN or BBC for news.

Specifically, this is why radio stations like Jor Sor 100 and Ruamduaychuaykan are so successful here - they are designed for "angels" to help their fellow Thais in need. I personally don't know of any station outside Thailand that has anything similar - the closest I've seen are "agony aunt" type programs.

Once you know a thai person...you must agree with your statement.

Not only Thais..but most in the SE Asian area are very very pleasant people.

Not sure if it is from their national pride, their buddhist belief or what...but it is alway pleasant getting off of a plane and seeing a smiling thai face. They never seem to stop smiling.

In other words, when it comes to distributing medical supplies and other stuff, it's "Farang first - Thai second", according to the complaint.

I would be willing to bet that this stems from the fact that Thais are seen/thought to be capable of finding help on their own since they are native. The Farangs, on the other hand, don't speak the language, don't know the procedures, don't have relatives in the country... etc.

Thais will help Thais without a second thought either. But right now, the rest of the world is focused on the farangs - and so that's what is being seen,

Totally agree,I am a Thai and that is the way I look at it,the farangs right now are so vulnerable because they are not in their own country. But I don't think any Thais in Thailand will want to pick and choose who and what nationality we want to help first?

Another thing is I have heard a lot of tales about how Thais safed some farangs 's life without thinking of their own,how a lot of poor villagers give what they hardly have to survivors. Did they really think there and then when facing death that..oh if I safe this farang now I will help the Thai's economic? Did those poor villagers really think ..oh I got to feed these farangs now so they will be grateful and come back to spend more money in my village ???

Also let me tell you the tale that happened in the WW2. When we were supposed to be an allie to the Japaneses and regarded the American as our enermy. When japanese soldiers got injured Thai villagers helped them. But when the american soldiers needed the same help,the same villagers helped them too!!! (of course behind the japanese's back!).

One white man dies and the Media in western countries will cover the circumstances and the story for well past 2 or more days. If the reporting continues past 3 days, the moaning and groaning becomes downright morbid. In contrast, asians and/or other non-whites killed will get scant or no mention. Even more intriguing is that, as happened many times in the Iraq war, innocent non-white civilians killed by errant missiles etc., do not even APPEAR to register in the psyche of white folk -- whitey will not lose any sleep over this.

Don't think that Thais have noticed this peculiar phenomenon?

Has the reporting on TV been any different during this tragedy? Yeah, right!

God bless Thailand!

One white man dies and the Media in western countries will cover the circumstances and the story  for well past 2 or more days.  If the reporting continues past 3 days, the moaning and groaning becomes downright morbid.  In contrast,  asians and/or other non-whites  killed will get scant or no mention.  Even more intriguing is that,  as happened many times in the Iraq war,  innocent non-white civilians  killed by errant missiles etc.,  do not even APPEAR  to register in the psyche of white folk -- whitey will not lose any sleep over this. 

Don't think that Thais have  noticed this peculiar phenomenon?

Has the reporting on TV been any different during this tragedy?  Yeah, right!

God bless Thailand!

Ever thought the reason might be that western media is geared up to western needs and, as the majority of westerners are white, it makes sense that the news will focus on their plights? Darkey doesn't lose sleep over white people dying thousands of miles away, you can put money on that.

Well, folks, what I said got confirmed. Locals are treated as second-class citizens, according to this recent article. Not just in Thailand, but all throughout the disaster-struck area. Sad, really.

SiamRuby, I think we talk about two different things. The local volunteers are really generous people who show genuine altruism. The problem is with the organized help groups, which are influenced by the ones in power, who want to play both sides, like Thaiboxer said. Increasing the confusion, the media coverage mixes the two kinds of help, trying to give greed a humane mask.

I think if the media keeps their mouths shut, the compassionate Thais will show their true colors on their own.

I agree. :o

Edited by SiamJai

>>>> Darkey doesn't lose sleep over white people dying thousands of miles away, you can put money on that <<<<<<

Dickie,

9/11 is just one example which I'd offer as reasonable proof that your statement above is false. "Darkey" demonstrated deep sorrow for "whitey" -- worldwide; very plainly visible. Seemed to me, they certainly cared.

Have yourself a prosperous NY,

Regards

Dickey,

Perfect timing -- just read the article mentioned in siamJai's post.

Some excerpts:

While foreign survivors of the ocean's onslaught were put up in an international school complete with beds, TVs and Internet connections, Thais from a devastated fishing village slept outside, many without blankets, burning wood to keep warm and keep mosquitos at bay.

All around the Indian Ocean there have been reports of local people feeling ignored or insulted by the meager aid that has trickled to them since Sunday.

In Sri Lanka, some people complained that helicopters that could have brought supplies to devastated villages instead were used to rescue high-profile survivors.

In India, survivors complained of feeling insulted by piles of secondhand clothes dumped at roadsides for them.

At a makeshift relief camp for women inside a marriage hall in the southern coastal city of Nagappattinam, refugees grumbled about the perceived condescending attitude of relief workers.

"We have been insulted so much that we don't want any aid from anybody," said 35-year-old Lakshimi, who goes by only one name. "We are prepared to die.

"They bring food for a few hundred people to a place where thousands of people are sheltered. They bring too few clothes, too little milk, which results in a melee. We have never looked for alms from anybody, now we have been reduced to beggars."

Jeanette Dombrowe, 32, a German native who has lived for years on the Thai island of Koh Payam, agreed.

"The villagers are second-class victims, but if we don't look after the Westerners the nation could lose its tourism — so the villagers have to understand," she said.

------

Like I said, whitey doesn't give a flying jig how many darkeys get killed -- to get a rise out of whitey the ratio has to exceed 1:100,000 (IMHO of course) -- hey, its a touchy subject. Just my observation and opinion. Have a good one!

SiamJai...Your post is interesting. While I agree with what others have said about the Thais being super helpful in the midst of all that's going on in the South you have to wonder if those in power are playing both sides...that is the humanitarian aide side as well as the side that wants to protect tourism which translates to $$$$. Do those in power really need to tell Thais to go help the foreigners? I think not...those Thais that are caring will do so automatically without anyone telling them to do so. This is the same in any country. Yes, Thais can be very generous and will often go out of their way to assist others and make their stay comfortable whether during a vacation or during a crisis such as this. However, I would not approve of the Thai media and tourism industries using these heroic/compassionate stories and pictures as a backdrop to promote tourism. I don't blame local Thais for getting angry at being told to attend to foreigners first as it makes them look less important than us. I say take care of the most critical cases first (life-threatening injuries, etc) and work down from there and while doing so take care of everyone at the same time. I think if the media keeps their mouths shut, the compassionate Thais will show their true colors on their own. :o

I agree with this post.

QUOTE SiamJai:

"Well, folks, what I said got confirmed. Locals are treated as second-class citizens, according to this recent article. Not just in Thailand, but all throughout the disaster-struck area. Sad, really.

SiamRuby, I think we talk about two different things. The local volunteers are really generous people who show genuine altruism. The problem is with the organized help groups, which are influenced by the ones in power, who want to play both sides, like Thaiboxer said. Increasing the confusion, the media coverage mixes the two kinds of help, trying to give greed a humane mask.

I think if the media keeps their mouths shut, the compassionate Thais will show their true colors on their own.

I agree. " END QUOTE SiamJai

Unfortuantely, SiamJai, I also saw this sad situation coming. But I disagree with your analysis that it is somehow the work of the evil international orgainizations. This two-tiered situation was entirely predictable to anyone who is half-awake in Thailand because that is how Thai society operates. In this case the farang was helped first, because Thailand wanted to save face and it's tourism industry while on a world stage. Secondly, the first numbers of the fatalities plainly stated that for every Thai death there were 4 foreign deaths, but I don't think that is the case anymore. Thirdly, I am not advocating or defending any of this, in fact am deeply against it, but exactly what do you expect in a society that does not uphold the concept of equality in the first place?