Santika Club Owner Meets Police; Prepares To Compensate Victims

george

A post containing partisan political statements and all its follow-ups have been deleted. This is the only warning there'll be. Any more partisan political posts in this or the other Santika thread will be deleted and the poster will be suspended.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is going to need a lot more than 2 mil baht.... 32 survivors in ICU are probably costing at least that amount every day.

2,000,000 / 32 = 62,500

He'll probably declare himself bankrupt. :o

I did notice that there was a Western Name on the shareholders list.

I just googled the name "Louis Scott" - not sure if it's him, but it could be!!!!

www.akorns.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/louis-scott-is-a-sweetie-pie/

The guy has a Myspace page.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=276783488

I'm guessing it is this guy

http://members.tripod.com/~JB_S/about.htm

and From Bangkok Patana School Summary

Notable alumni

Anan Anwar - Scottish-Indonesian singer and actor

Joni Anwar - Scottish-Indonesian singer and actor

Ananda Everingham - Lao-Australian actor

Rowena Kennett - Thai-English VJ for MTV Thailand

Louis Scott - Singer and actor

Somtow Sucharitkul - Composer, conductor and author of "Vampire Junction"

Michele Waagaard - Thai-Norwegian model, JAMP singer and VJ for MTV Thailand

Tata Young - Thai-American singer, actor and model

References

I dont understand the importance of this young man. The father put on his name same share so?

Why many want put him here?

When we know all the life of him nothing change, farang, thai....important they pay for what they do, live this young man out...him not guilty about anythings.

At the end they find that one Shuttle lose one piece of his antenna and at the re-entry on the heart burn at go inside the club and make fire...nobody guilty...included the SIR that take money. insurrance will pay and the NASA will be sorry for what happen.

RIP

They caused the fire because of one minority shareholder? If you think I missed your point before, you have no idea of how confused I am by this comment.

No - I'm just saying that 'if they (the guys who do the dirty little little deals here) want' to find a scapegoat that's NOT THAI, this is an entry point for them - they could try to say the business is really owned by a farang. That's it. They probably won't - now that we've 'discounted it' here on TV - but you never know. Surely you've seen much more dodgy stuff in LOS.

By the way - did anyone else notice there are 30+ partners?? <deleted>??

I believe the owner has been connected with HOBB bar at RCA as well so you figure there's a lot of interests to protect.

I'd like to know what their families main line of business is as this was allegedly something they do on the side.

Why do you care what their families do for a living?? Of course they have other jobs, yes several investors in santika are as well investors in hobb and several other clubs in the city, condolences to the famlies that lost loved ones in this tragic accident.

Well if I know what they do I can perhaps no longer patronize their businesses. Just like if I know the nightclubs that they are connected with offer the same safety standards as Santika I can avoid those too. Of course that information is seldom easy to locate when a tragedy such at this one happens as the proprietors don't want their other businesses to suffer.

Edited by steffi

A post containing partisan political statements and all its follow-ups have been deleted. This is the only warning there'll be. Any more partisan political posts in this or the other Santika thread will be deleted and the poster will be suspended.

Thanks - I am not questioning the Moderation, but I'd like to ask the reason for this, as I am not clear. I am not even sure if any of my posts were deleted.

You would help us all to understand the reasoning behind this. When you say 'political statements' - does that mean no statements about police or corruption? Clarification of your indicators of 'poltical statements' would be appreciated. thanks again in advance. I do recall someting about Thakisn going into villages vs Abhisit going to the fire site.....is that what you mean?

Edited by aromsia

^ See? Here it comes - blame the farang. One of 31 shareholders.

:o Don't think anyone is pointing the blame on him. It was interesting from the point that he had an English name, nw we know that he is probably half thai - half scottish. Which dispels your previous theory regarding the FBA.

Now, for Oceano; this guy is not being singled out, I'm sure over the coming days more info will be posted about the othershareholders and management of the club. The sharholding in a company such as this, is not like a PLC, and I'd imagine that most of these shareholders are connected through mutual interests of friendships and have run this club as way to make money and have fun.

Sadly, they were unlicensed, uninsured and unsafe in their practices. Which has led to significant loss of life. They do not deserve any special protection, as this is too often the case in these parts.

That suggests to me that, there is no reason why we should not be analysing who, or what the owners/management of Santika are.

They caused the fire because of one minority shareholder? If you think I missed your point before, you have no idea of how confused I am by this comment.

No - I'm just saying that 'if they (the guys who do the dirty little little deals here) want' to find a scapegoat that's NOT THAI, this is an entry point for them - they could try to say the business is really owned by a farang. That's it. They probably won't - now that we've 'discounted it' here on TV - but you never know. Surely you've seen much more dodgy stuff in LOS.

By the way - did anyone else notice there are 30+ partners?? <deleted>??

I believe the owner has been connected with HOBB bar at RCA as well so you figure there's a lot of interests to protect.

I'd like to know what their families main line of business is as this was allegedly something they do on the side.

Why do you care what their families do for a living?? Of course they have other jobs, yes several investors in santika are as well investors in hobb and several other clubs in the city, condolences to the famlies that lost loved ones in this tragic accident.

Well if I know what they do I can perhaps no longer patronize their businesses. Just like if I know the nightclubs that they are connected with offer the same safety standards as Santika I can avoid those too. Of course that information is seldom easy to locate when a tragedy such at this one happens as the proprietors don't want their other businesses to suffer.

of course they dont,, listen if you want to be safe in a crowded nightclub/ bar / restaurant in thailand, make sure its open air. There are no "safe" places in bkk the harsh reality is that what little inspection done prior to opening is lacking at best, most times bribery is required, this is the system and it is deadly flawed

Re the top down fire theory - very unlikely. Fire burns up very quickly, down slowly.

Sure, but throw in an air con.. see my video here

a few months ago - started from the roof. Anyway, i dont know what to think, The fan just watched the news and said they thought it was the sparklers... goodness knows.

they also said this lovely woman in this mobile clip (one of the original videos out) is still in ICU, her boyfriend is in better shape in hospital.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090101/video/...at-15af341.html

Lost my brother to a medical accident years ago. Takes 7 or so years to relax about it, follow your dreams, just do it. Best wishes to all those affected.

post-50139-1231090926_thumb.png

Edited by whiterussian

There is nothing strange about the number of people died,

All things considered, the number of deaths is less than one might expect in a very crowded third world night club fire. Or perhaps were some of you taken in by the thin veneer of Bangkok and lulled into thinking that Thailand was something other than a relatively insignificant third world country, imagining Thailand as country where workplace safety is an issue of concern and where corruption is not rampant?

Funny how that once the work permit restrictions were eased and the majority of Thai toilets were replaced with high rise commodes, so many of you rushed to live and work in Thailand, even after the far, far worse Kader Factory fire had clearly demonstrated the complacency within the government towards workplace safety. Tragedies such as this fire occur on smaller scales throughout the Kingdom on a weekly basis and yet one rarely hears even the briefest sigh of discontent from the ex-pat crowd. But once the same thing happens to a place frequented by ex-pats and other wealthier Bangkok denizens, the wailing and hand-wringing becomes deafening. But in the end, the rose is still the rose, and nothing will change.

Thanks - I am not questioning the Moderation, but I'd like to ask the reason for this, as I am not clear. I am not even sure if any of my posts were deleted.

You would help us all to understand the reasoning behind this. When you say 'political statements' - does that mean no statements about police or corruption? Clarification of your indicators of 'poltical statements' would be appreciated. thanks again in advance. I do recall someting about Thakisn going into villages vs Abhisit going to the fire site.....is that what you mean?

The posts deleted were assigning motives to specific political parties. If you want to argue partisan politics there are other threads on TV that you can post into. Statements about the police and corruption are fine but this thread is not going to turn into another party political dingdong. Hope that clears things up a little.

I sincerely hope that this extremely tragic event will not only bring awareness to the people in charge of the safety of the Santika Club what negligence can cause but more important to encourage taking responsibility for anyone operating a venue open to the public.

David de Rijke

Update, if anyone cares:

All 4 missing have been found amongst the dead.

:o

Been following your harrowing but hopeful pursuit for some days, now, may you and your friends and their other many loved ones find peace somehow.

May something, anything! possibly good (please!) come from this horrific and preventable tragedy.

Hang in there, your friends may have tragically changed 'normal' Bangkok & Thailand forever and have NOT passed in vain regardless (I pray so)

Take care, we all care, the future depends on it

All things considered, the number of deaths is less than one might expect in a very crowded third world night club fire. Or perhaps were some of you taken in by the thin veneer of Bangkok and lulled into thinking that Thailand was something other than a relatively insignificant third world country, imagining Thailand as country where workplace safety is an issue of concern and where corruption is not rampant?

Funny how that once the work permit restrictions were eased and the majority of Thai toilets were replaced with high rise commodes, so many of you rushed to live and work in Thailand, even after the far, far worse Kader Factory fire had clearly demonstrated the complacency within the government towards workplace safety. Tragedies such as this fire occur on smaller scales throughout the Kingdom on a weekly basis and yet one rarely hears even the briefest sigh of discontent from the ex-pat crowd. But once the same thing happens to a place frequented by ex-pats and other wealthier Bangkok denizens, the wailing and hand-wringing becomes deafening. But in the end, the rose is still the rose, and nothing will change.

My post referred to somethingsnew4u's cross-correlation (no pun intended) between the number 63 and his alleged transformation of the place from a church into a pub.

But thanks for your insights.

Your 'Custom member title' is "Curmudgeon" - very apt. Quite an obnoxious post.

According to the fan, there is a new fire in Sampeign market Bangkok, 30 people trapped. Kind of a China town market.

Do you mean Sua Pa or Sampeign? Sua Pa is a compete death trap so it's amazing nobody was killed there. It's also the place to go if you want buy anything mobile phone related. There's loads of companies there that make money unlocking peoples phones and selling equipment that does so.

Dissolution, I'm so sorry for your loss. I've contacted my friend so she will not have to bring it to the news, though she was willing to help and I appreciate her for that - she offers her most sincere condolences to you and your family and your friends' families. I wish I could have been of more help for you.

Try not to beat yourself up over what happened or what you could have done, your friends will smile at you from above if they know you can move on, as they will always be in your thoughts and watching over you.

RIP to all others who died in this terrible tragedy, and I hope for speedy recoveries for the injured.

Many are placing blame on this party or that party, but on the flipside there were some real heros that night, and they should be commended for trying their best to save human life. I do not doubt for a second that the rescue workers on the scene would have done anything to save more lives if they could.

Again Dissolution, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you can someday remember the happy memories you've had with those who died, and cherish them as you live on. You do not have to go through this alone...

According to the fan, there is a new fire in Sampeign market Bangkok, 30 people trapped. Kind of a China town market.

Do you mean Sua Pa or Sampeign? Sua Pa is a compete death trap so it's amazing nobody was killed there. It's also the place to go if you want buy anything mobile phone related. There's loads of companies there that make money unlocking peoples phones and selling equipment that does so.

it's the "phone place". but i didn't follow the news on it.

Dissolution I'm so sorry for your loss. We witness tragedies everyday and become desensitized to it all, we have to; to survive but this one has hit close to home and it's impossible to ignore. I feel mournful for you and all the others. I can't understand why things like this have to happen.

This has put the nail in the coffin for me and Thailand and when I can leave in about 6 months I will not come back for a long time. I know now for sure I'm not overreacting. I've slowly come to realize behind the few spurts of progress this country is basically a zoo with no accountability. I love many things about Thailand but that doesn't offset the dangerous and real things that are wrong with it. There's just too much risk living in a 3rd world country.

I have to agree w/you also. Its worse than "3rd World," its more like a "Transvestite Nation," meaning just that it clings to old ideas like "mai pen rai" and "who get the money"~ Thailand doesn't seem to aspire; and this is the danger for any nation to become a place that signifies "something" rather than "smiles and great food" let alone be a power in the world...

Thanks,

Randy

Your 'Custom member title' is "Curmudgeon" - very apt. Quite an obnoxious post.

Given your Thai Visa moniker, I will claim a bulls eye and graciously accept your compliments.

Given your Thai Visa moniker, I will claim a bulls eye and graciously accept your compliments.

You can claim what you like - doesn't make it true. You imply that the "ex-pat crowd" - does that include yourself? - doesn't care what happens to Thais in the rest of the country. A ridiculous and offensive statement.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Dissolution, I'm so sorry for your loss. I've contacted my friend so she will not have to bring it to the news, though she was willing to help and I appreciate her for that - she offers her most sincere condolences to you and your family and your friends' families. I wish I could have been of more help for you.

Try not to beat yourself up over what happened or what you could have done, your friends will smile at you from above if they know you can move on, as they will always be in your thoughts and watching over you.

RIP to all others who died in this terrible tragedy, and I hope for speedy recoveries for the injured.

Many are placing blame on this party or that party, but on the flipside there were some real heros that night, and they should be commended for trying their best to save human life. I do not doubt for a second that the rescue workers on the scene would have done anything to save more lives if they could.

Again Dissolution, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you can someday remember the happy memories you've had with those who died, and cherish them as you live on. You do not have to go through this alone...

I want to add a similar sentiment as this and it i good to see people offering genuine helpo...It is very humbling and great that there are many good humans about, that are always willing to help someone when it is needed. I m not in Thailand at this time, but I wanted to do something, anything...but it is frustrating following these threads and feeling helpless...

I m very sorry Dissolution, each evening I ve come home, I ve logged straight on to find out if you had any news...and I offer you my best wishes...and I hope that you can find some strength from the people around you, and the genuine words of condolences and wishes, offered on here by strangers...

I feel really emotional...and I bet most people reading this have been tearful, and have felt compassion for you even if they dont know you...but I m sure everyone can relate, even if the pain will only be a microcosm of what you feel...

Take care friend...

May I add my condolences, also my family, we've hoped for you, we're so sad, please realise that there are good people on TV who you can turn to, not just on the internet, but physically as well.............

Re the top down fire theory - very unlikely. Fire burns up very quickly, down slowly.

The only roof material likely to be burnt through from a firework above would be polycarbonate - as in a skylight.

I think I could state quite safely that no normal roofing material (Ex thatch, grass etc - I mean in general use in Bangkok) - could be penetrated by regular fireworks.

A high rate of spread inside would tend to indicate that the roof was not breached - as if it had it would permit a draught, taking the flames and smoke out - reducing the rate of spread inside.

Eyewitness evidence first - should reduce the number of theories.

I agree, and had thought of that - since hearing yesterday of the roof fire theory. I would hope Bkk buildings are not still using thatching or wood shingles.

One eyewitness on this thread said he saw sparklers being used in the dance hall - though it didn't appear to him that the sparklers caused a fire. Others have said there were more volatile fireworks on and/or above the stage. Though it might not have been visually evident to some survivors that fireworks directly set the ceiling tiles on fire, the effects of fireworks on flammable substances can be delayed - by a few seconds or more. What type of tiles were there? Some might show brown beneath, while a fire starts on top - then the flame breaks through underneath.

After a serious hotel fire at a casino in Las Vegas, an entire section of the restaurant kitchen (where it started) was recreated in a lab, and the conditions were scientifically monitored. In that fire, it was found that, not only ceiling tiles, but the furniture fueled the fire quickly in to a deadly inferno.

Outside experts should be called in to investigate. I doubt Thai authorities have the expertise or the objectivity (detached from special interests) to do a proper investigation.

I would like to add my Condolences to you Dissolution. I cannot imagine the pain you have been going through and the greif you must be feeling right now. I know a message from a complete stranger probably won't help but i hope you can eventually come to terms with what has happened and have a life that can be seen by them from wherever they are now.

Try to remember that being a survivor is not something to feel bad about. In surviving yourself, you ensured their memory goes on.

Sure, but throw in an air con.. see my video here

a few months ago - started from the roof. Anyway, i dont know what to think, The fan just watched the news and said they thought it was the sparklers... goodness knows.

Air cons only have pipes for refrigerant or for water (neither known fire hazards) to the roof. Some might have an air exhaust which would be protected against stuff getting in.

They can be a factor in the spread of an already started fire, but not a means of the fire starting on the roof, nor access for the fire from the roof to the inside.

i think the western surname is in fact a thai, with a 'cool' western surname, maybe a pop singer.

The govt should foot the bill for negligence in enforcement. All this talk of intent has to be rubbish.

What happened to vincentc's firework pics (fireworks coming from a neighbouring building), and the roof being ablaze as seen from outside..

Maybe this is why the Chinese govt are paying costs, to prevent exposure, to shody Chinese manufacturing standards. Maybe they are just compassionate.

This rooftop type blaze happened on a roof in CM a few months ago - the norths largest store/warehouse, spread down the air con in seconds.. and whoosh.

I hope the Thai people fight for enquiry after enquiry. How can they trust anyone in power these days.

The going rate is about 300,000+ for manslaughter/negligence up here in CM, judging from a peasant guy run over by a bangkok construction lorry last year.

Compensate them for what? Being in a building when it caught fire from an outside source?

Is there any evidence the owners were negligent in any way other than letting the insurance expire and letting in a minor? Operating under an injunction is legal.

Were there actually locked exits ? Seems the burning ceiling falling in front of the entrance is responsible for most of the fatalities.

I want to know what the fire investigators are saying, not the police.