Pattaya Real Estate Help!

thescot

I have decided to put my house on the market (or try) but have had no luck with any agent so far and would like some advice on good agents any readers have had experience using. I would like to sell for around 15mil so the agent even at 3% would be doing well.

I first tried "un"fair properties who said they would be around and we made an appointment to take pics etc and this was after 3 calls to remind them. Well that was a waste of time staying in all day as no one came and could not be bothered to call and let us know?

Tried calling Pattaya Agency and without asking any questions regarding the house told me that they charge 5%. I then asked what they could do for me apart from stick some photo's on the internet and in the trader for a commission of 5% (750,000). The woman could not answer me then very abruptly told me that if i was not happy to go somewhere else....."cheeky bar-steward".

One more agent i tried promised to contact me on Monday but has not replied yet.

I'm not sure what the problem is with some of these agents ....too much money ...... not interested with the current market .... too busy? or too lazy.

I first rented then bought property using a good agent but they are now asking 5%.

I would prefer to try first a recommended agent charging 3% if any one can give any good contacts and then go from there....

Thanks TS

I am sure that you are already aware of the current market in housing.

Town and Country charges 3%

Dream Pattaya charges 3%

Many companies want to put their time into selling new condo units as they can get 5% or even 7% from developers, and there is less driving around showing houses on the other side of Sukhumvit to customers.

Selling a house is hard work and many of the agents have so many houses on their books already which have been there a long time; they are not interested in adding more.

I suggest that you advertise in the area that your house is located. And, you canvass all of the owners in your mooban. They are already there and have had many friends visit them, so the location is known by prospective buyers.

Another option is to accept 1/2 down and allow payments for three years for the remaining 1/2 @ 9%. Keep the house in your name, or if it is owned by a company, keep the shares in your name until complete payment is made.

Best of luck to you.

lance-a-lot ......

I've also heard good things about east coast. They also charge 5% and that is maybe the way to go even though i think a commission of 5% (750,000) is way too much for taking some pics and a wee bit of advertising.

I'm not sure if they would be agreeable to a suggestion of .....

sell within 1 month or get better price = 5% or Sell after 1 month or lower price = 4% etc etc after all it is me offering them my property!!

after all it is me offering them my property!!

Yes you are offering them your property but if it was that easy to sell yourself you would be doing just that right? They are brokers for a reason and the good one`s should hopefully be able to sell your property at the right price in good time that is why they charge x% upwards it`s a business.

Thanks for the replies and any more that may come.

Since posting i have been contact from a couple of agents whom from ther adverts, response and web sites seem to be alot more professional than the previous mentioned and still only charge 3% commission.

TS

Thanks for the replies and any more that may come.

Since posting i have been contact from a couple of agents whom from ther adverts, response and web sites seem to be alot more professional than the previous mentioned and still only charge 3% commission.

TS

Scot by name and by nature eh.....

bet you can peel and orange in your pocket :o

Edited by norrona

I'm not sure what the problem is with some of these agents ....too much money ...... not interested with the current market .... too busy? or too lazy.

All of the above!

Seriously though, if you plan to stay in Pattaya during the pendency of your listing, then just try to sell it yourself. Like you said, all they do is put a few for sale ads in the local rags and maybe put a photo or 2 up on their websites and like you say, collect a large wad of money.

You can easily put-up and maintain a good listing post at the local markets (but as you have a high-end place, this might not bring in many buyers). A better bet would be to do your own display ad in the papers and maybe have a webbie make-up your own "For Sale" website. Also, don't forget places like Craig's List and eBay. You would be surprised how effective they it can be. I have a friend who sold a resort of his in the Philippines on eBay and got a good price for it (not and auction but a sale).

However, in the current market, be patient.

A friend had a similar experience recently, contacted three agents who promised to get back to him and none did! Our take is that the market is dead. you could try Thai Property and Land Tel: 038 421725 and ask for James ( a fellow scot) tell him I suggested him .

an above poster mentioned selling it yourself.

It is work, and also, more buyers will look at and have confidence in an agent in a foreign country.

You can try advertising in the property magazines. There are a few out there, and a b/w ad will be a couple of thousand for a 1/4 page and a color will be about double that for 1/4 page. You will get a discount for multiple weeks of advertising.

You can also advertise on the television classifieds.

All of these are directed at the general population, and not at people who are interested in your area. It is really better to post a very professional sign in English and Thai on your house, in the front of the mooban, and at the local stores. Also, post whatever you can on the street in front, and also let the local shop owners know about it being for sale. You really need to canvcass the area with photos and A5 sheets of info on the house.

Good luck

Im sure you can get realtors down to 2-3% but then you will have to fight against scammers and fraud (un-fair properties as an example)

You get what you pay for and Town & Country is definately one of the best realtors in Pattaya. I have used them for 80% of my deals and they have never let me down.

I think they are a bit of a piss take as when properties were much cheaper they were happy with 3% and now properties are higher priced they want 5% despite their 3% being far greater than it was.

5% to sell a property is just a dream but it appears that they act like a cartel.

I wish you luck but at 15m in this market, you are not going to have a lot of people come knocking.

Another way to sell it is on an incremental scale. Some simple maths.

15m @ 3% = 450k

10m at 3% = 300k plus 10% of 5m is 500k. Total 800k.

However, if they sell at 12m (if you were to accept), then they would only get 500k.

You can play around with the idea, numbers and percentages in Excel and see if they have the brainpower to understand what you are trying to achieve.

As of yesterday evening i have 2 x recommended agents coming to do the photo shoot etc who charge @ 3% commission and i have spoke with one of the bigger, more recognised agents who is willing to look at a lower commission with possible conditions.

I realise the market is slow and possibly even more so at the price range i'm selling for with the current world economic and the Thai political issues. I suppose i'm fortunate in that i don't need the cash and therefore am in no hurry to sell or to accept any silly offers. My plan to build another house may have to be put on hold for a while if the market is so slow and the house does not sell. In the meantime i'll have to find something else to keep me occupied and out of trouble!!

Thanks for most of the replies and help ....much appreciated.

TS

Edited by thescot

I have decided to put my house on the market (or try) but have had no luck with any agent so far and would like some advice on good agents any readers have had experience using. I would like to sell for around 15mil so the agent even at 3% would be doing well.

I first tried "un"fair properties who said they would be around and we made an appointment to take pics etc and this was after 3 calls to remind them. Well that was a waste of time staying in all day as no one came and could not be bothered to call and let us know?

Tried calling Pattaya Agency and without asking any questions regarding the house told me that they charge 5%. I then asked what they could do for me apart from stick some photo's on the internet and in the trader for a commission of 5% (750,000). The woman could not answer me then very abruptly told me that if i was not happy to go somewhere else....."cheeky bar-steward".

One more agent i tried promised to contact me on Monday but has not replied yet.

I first rented then bought property using a good agent but they are now asking 5%.

I would prefer to try first a recommended agent charging 3% if any one can give any good contacts and then go from there....

Thanks TS

how big and where is the house . i have a friend who is looking for buying a house in your price range . need to know where it is so i can let them know.good luck. the market is bad but there are still buyer(s) ,retirement,hiding the money from the ex-mrs or the taxman

As of yesterday evening i have 2 x recommended agents coming to do the photo shoot etc who charge @ 3% commission and i have spoke with one of the bigger, more recognised agents who is willing to look at a lower commission with possible conditions.

I realise the market is slow and possibly even more so at the price range i'm selling for with the current world economic and the Thai political issues. I suppose i'm fortunate in that i don't need the cash and therefore am in no hurry to sell or to accept any silly offers. My plan to build another house may have to be put on hold for a while if the market is so slow and the house does not sell. In the meantime i'll have to find something else to keep me occupied and out of trouble!!

Thanks for most of the replies and help ....much appreciated.

TS

Hi

Give Heiner a call at Siam Properties...they seem to be having a good run of house sales recently. Tell him Robert said "HI".

His office number is 038 415 490