Car Tint Film

One thing you need to bear in mind is that all brands are not equal - some are visibly darker than others even with the same grade.

Over the years I've tried various brands/grades, but settled on 3M reflective tint for my newest car - 40% on the front windshield (full coverage) and 60% on the rest....

I have this set up on my SUV. Its fine for day and night driving. you barely notice the film cos its bronze/mirror not black. I think its a good solution unless you are looking for "privacy glass" which I had on my old merc. That was fine for me day or night but I can see how old folks or those who wear glasses might have a problem with it.

Mirror seems to be the tint of choice on most new high end cars too. There might be something in that... Look at Mercs, BMWs, Lexus and see what kind of tint they have... Sensible luxury cars where money is no consideration offer a little insight I would say. :)

Received my new car last week and they put Hi-cool reflective 40% film on the front windscreen without asking me.I have tried to live with it for a week but tomorrow it will be removed.Dangerous as hel_l at night and in bright sunlight cos of the reflection from the interior on the windscreen.

• 11 years later...

Please be advised that different brands of film often offer different quality films. You can buy low quality film and high quality film from the same manufacturer. For example, Lamina offers about ten different grades, each in a number of different shades and colors. 3M offers a number of different grades as well.

Do not just specify a brand and shade, make the supplier specify exactly what film you are getting. 

Just because a film is dark, does not mean it will perform well. High quality lighter shade films will generally out perform low quality dark films. 

I like 3M Crystalline 70 on the windshield and Crystalline 40 on the side windows.