Cheap Second Hand Cars

tomartoh

Trying to save money. I have seen advertised on thai sites 10/11 year old Chrysler neon, Daewoo and Hyundai cars for around 100,000bahts,

which is about a third the price of similar Toyotas and Hondas.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of running these vehicles.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had many cars and bikes over the years. The first car I bought here was a Daewoo. Absolutely the worst car I have ever had. Leave it alone. I wasted money and learned my lesson. My Isuzu is one of the best though, perfect for Thailand's roads.

Yes me. I can thoroughly recommend the Nissan Sunny FF produced upto 1995. You can pick them up for as little as 40,000 but for something a bit better 50 - 60,000. I sold mine recently for 45,000....still looked pretty good but rust was just starting so it had to go. I paid 59,000 for it and ran it for a year and a half no problems. Took it to Petchaboon 3 tips , Pattaya 4 , Suphan Buri, Ayudhaya ...never a problem. Cruised at 90 - 100 kph and returned 15 - 16 k per litre. Plenty of cheap spares around too.

Check out this site www.one2car.com to check prices.

As for the Neon....aqlso cheap but if you breakdown .....spares problem.

Alternatively the Mitsubishi Champ ( upto 1995 ) is also cheap, like the Sunny but I think the Sunny is more plentiful.

You might find this page easier to understand :

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/carbytype.aspx?type=sedan

I have had many cars and bikes over the years. The first car I bought here was a Daewoo. Absolutely the worst car I have ever had. Leave it alone. I wasted money and learned my lesson. My Isuzu is one of the best though, perfect for Thailand's roads.

I wonder what a B 100,000 Isuzu would look and drive like?

I just cant, i just cant bring myself to pay 100.000 baht for a car thats 5000 baht back home, ok you can say it has no relevance but id rather use public transport than drive one of those piles !,.and anyway ,someone that knows me might see me, and i couldnt face that,. :o

Tomartoh. I would spend a bit more, I was thinking the same as you but on looking around at what was available which was generally rubbish. i decided that i would get a newer model and keep it longer. the car i got was an ex-lease 2004 Ford Ranger double cab/4door pickup c/w carryboy top, service history, cd player, good body /engine, 117,500km etc and low(ish) cost finance for 230,000 baht. 30,000 deposit, 4.55% finance and monthly payments below 5,000baht. and i am very happy with it, fuel economy is ok and its a very comfortable pickup in my opinion. they also had super/extra cab pickups from about 200,000baht. PM me if ya want the details.

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Trying to save money. I have seen advertised on thai sites 10/11 year old Chrysler neon, Daewoo and Hyundai cars for around 100,000bahts,

which is about a third the price of similar Toyotas and Hondas.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of running these vehicles.

I checked at one2car, exactly link below:

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/carresult....%c1%bb%d596-98)

Where is the Neon for 100'k??? I would buy it right away, if the engine and automatic transmission is ok.

I just cant, i just cant bring myself to pay 100.000 baht for a car thats 5000 baht back home, ok you can say it has no relevance but id rather use public transport than drive one of those piles !,.and anyway ,someone that knows me might see me, and i couldnt face that,. :o

Yes, we living in Thailand, not in Home Forget the dream: Cars for 5'000 Baht? Can't find. "Chang Kilo" would give you already 30'k and the blue book you can sale for another 20'k. This is different than back home, not only with Chrysler, Daewoo and Hyundai. Back in Hawaii i can buy a 99 Accord for about 3'500 USD. Overhere the same car cost 490'000 Baht. But back in Hawaii you pay for a Hotel Room 400 USD (which i cand bring my self to pay that much for a Room). Overhere you pay for a Hotel Room 1000 Baht. How mutch cost a "One Night Stand" in USA??? Allways the same. Everybody complains about the prices of the cars overhere. I don't like it too, but what can we change? Nothing. We have to take it or leave it. That's it!

Edited by stingray

thaicbr

What you bought is about what we [gf and i] wanted. Unfortunately i was overuled for a mazda at 200,000 and she paid 375,000 for an isuzu, similar spec to yours and on the drip at 6%. We are just having one of our bust ups, which i think this time is terminal. I am stuck with low price for car as i am wanting to buy a tiger boxer 250. The fall off in tourism has been disastrous and the plummeting pound combined to see me down shit street. Plus now I dont have wp so no finance for me even though my daughter [bless her heart ] would pay finance. Mind you without the gf a pick up and a tiger boxer would be a good travelling combination

Anyhow my next thread on tv will be, 'are there any thai ladies who are not interested in momey'

Bought a Chrysler Neon 3 years back (1996 model) and it was an absolute nightmare. Constant mechanical problems and very unreliable. Replaced it with a 2000 model Nissan Sunny super saloooon. Great car, drives fine and even has leather interior. We paid 310,000 baht but I am sure now you could get a decent one for around 220/250,000 baht.

So Tomartoh let me get this straight you already have an Izuzu and a Mazda pickup but cos you had a bust up with the girlfriend you aint got the truck now. Why?

I'm only asking cos i made sure that the finance is in both names and have told the g/f i'm paying SO if anything goes wrong with us I'M keeping the truck :o

Edited by thaicbr

Bought a Chrysler Neon 3 years back (1996 model) and it was an absolute nightmare. Constant mechanical problems and very unreliable. Replaced it with a 2000 model Nissan Sunny super saloooon. Great car, drives fine and even has leather interior. We paid 310,000 baht but I am sure now you could get a decent one for around 220/250,000 baht.

The Good: Chrysler are much safer cars than Japanese. All of them have ABS brakes and double air bags. Japanese dont!. chrysler can be a nice driver if the condition is good and somebody take care of the car. I have a lot expirience with Chryslers and never got any problems. But you have to look twice the condition if you buy one. When you buy a Chrysler, make sure the automatic transmission is ok. That's the expensivest part on this car. in my opinion, Body look much more nice than any japanese models. Price for a good one is arround 160'k. Yea the cheapest one for 100'k, where Somchay swapped already the engine twice, will give you a pain in the a.....

The Bad: Neons are more difficult to repair. they are advanced in their time, using engine management systems. You need a Diacnostic scanner. I have one! I mean Somchai is maybe not beable to repair this car. Parts are more expensive (imported).

Nissan Sunny is a very good car, but no options like airbag, ABS, etc. First Sunnies, lool quite boring, but the laterones, like 1999 or 2000 model look good to me. But the price is different, arround 280 to 300'k. But this price range is not for a Buyer with limited budged.

The Good: Chrysler are much safer cars than Japanese. All of them have ABS brakes and double air bags. Japanese dont!. chrysler can be a nice driver if the condition is good and somebody take care of the car. I have a lot expirience with Chryslers and never got any problems. But you have to look twice the condition if you buy one. When you buy a Chrysler, make sure the automatic transmission is ok. That's the expensivest part on this car. in my opinion, Body look much more nice than any japanese models. Price for a good one is arround 160'k. Yea the cheapest one for 100'k, where Somchay swapped already the engine twice, will give you a pain in the a.....

The Bad: Neons are more difficult to repair. they are advanced in their time, using engine management systems. You need a Diacnostic scanner. I have one! I mean Somchai is maybe not beable to repair this car. Parts are more expensive (imported).

Nissan Sunny is a very good car, but no options like airbag, ABS, etc. First Sunnies, lool quite boring, but the laterones, like 1999 or 2000 model look good to me. But the price is different, arround 280 to 300'k. But this price range is not for a Buyer with limited budged.

Fair points.

In fact when the Neon worked, it was a nice drive unfortunately just kept on going wrong!

I don't know the prices now for a 8/9 year old ish Sunny but we've had ours a good 2 years and I thought the depreciation would have been more. I suppose best to look if ones interested!

We do have 1 airbag!

thaicbr

never got the mazda as she not like. the isuzu in her brothers names as she needed finance. i not pay anything and took no part in the fuc_king around, sorry i mean purchase. and i bad person as i not pay finance.

she says, i got bad attitude when we go looking at vehicles ie i point out faults and harrass dealers for lower price . I left her and her brother to it when i saw she determined to buy. i told her battery no good and noisy engine and no test drive. been standing in dealers for a year. i since proved correct but you know you cannot tell a pair of thais anything, they know it all

stingray

look on thai secondhand. that is where i saw neon 88 auto 100,000km. 100,000baht. we were 4th call in the morning for it. I think mainly private sellers and low prices. goodly number of people lost there jobs, phoned about 15 of them, all in thai but many obvious as to what they are. the gf got the paper with all the details and my connection dead slow so cannot look it up yet. Think maybe many bargains to be had soon as crunch starts to bite. Been offered houses to purchase locally as they all think i am loaded, wish i was

thaicbr

never got the mazda as she not like. the isuzu in her brothers names as she needed finance. i not pay anything and took no part in the fuc_king around, sorry i mean purchase. and i bad person as i not pay finance.

she says, i got bad attitude when we go looking at vehicles ie i point out faults and harrass dealers for lower price . I left her and her brother to it when i saw she determined to buy. i told her battery no good and noisy engine and no test drive. been standing in dealers for a year. i since proved correct but you know you cannot tell a pair of thais anything, they know it all

stingray

look on thai secondhand. that is where i saw neon 88 auto 100,000km. 100,000baht. we were 4th call in the morning for it. I think mainly private sellers and low prices. goodly number of people lost there jobs, phoned about 15 of them, all in thai but many obvious as to what they are. the gf got the paper with all the details and my connection dead slow so cannot look it up yet. Think maybe many bargains to be had soon as crunch starts to bite. Been offered houses to purchase locally as they all think i am loaded, wish i was

Yes i saw it. It's in Patum Tani, to far away from me. BKK would be ok. Car is twice advertised with two different prices. 88'k and than 79' k. I guess it have some troubles, otherwise i would be sold already, without lowering the price again. But if i'm near i would go and check it.

Edited by stingray

the hyundai accent is a good solid car and the engine is excellent.one problem is the dash board splits due to the heat.just had new suspension struts for mine,its 10 years old now as i have had it 5 years.the cost was 5,900 baht.also had a respray,including dents etc and that was 22,000 baht so i have a nearly new car for 28,000 outlay.

the hyundai accent is a good solid car and the engine is excellent.one problem is the dash board splits due to the heat.just had new suspension struts for mine,its 10 years old now as i have had it 5 years.the cost was 5,900 baht.also had a respray,including dents etc and that was 22,000 baht so i have a nearly new car for 28,000 outlay.

It's right. Accent are another options and mostly troublefree. specially the 2 door hatchback version looks sporty to me. Really not worth to pay close to 300'k for a soluna.

Tomartoh I think you've got to use your eyes whats out there on the roads 100,000s of Hyundai's lots of Deawoo's, all at the side of the road steaming with their bonnets up? no i don't think so. Neons not many and from the posts which is what you origionally wanted could be an expensive headache to add to the ones you already have!. I would be looking for a Hyundai first perhaps a later Elantra or a four door Accent(2door sprint tends to atract the boy racer set) with their origional Mitsubishi mechanical connections any garage is going to be able to help in the case of a problem which all vehicles have now and then.

If I were buying a used car, I wouldn't buy anything that was imported. Service and parts will always be a problem. It's a pay now or pay later deal. Pay a little more now for a domestically produced car and you will come out ahead in the long run.

thaicbr

stingray

My friend that is also a member of TV bought a very nice neon in bkk ( privately ) for 85.000 baht, .the dealers ask way more and i honestly beleive the dealers in thailand have very high profit margins,.bargains can be had, BUT you need to be knowledgable about cars and be prepared to travel and take someone that knows cars,.

I have seen here a few 'HOLDEN CALAIS 2.6 AT' For Sale, most had the original v6 engine, one did have a 1JZ-GTE, a 2.5 straight 6 turbo. 1997 - 1999 appears to sell for around 95k - 130k.. [Of the same year a TOYOTA COROLLA 1.6 cost around 300k !!]

No idea what there like but there are a few driving around where I live [3 on 5km run to shops yesterday]

One For Sale near me is a original 1999 for 105,000, it could do with new leather then tint film on the windows so the leather does not dry out......... also it's sister OPEL OMEGA 1998 2.0 AT turbo for 128k [same size car and year HONDA ACCORD cost around 400k !!]

Pity we cant import from the uk, heres a 2001 honda that can be bought for 40.000 baht and the chrysler is half that !,. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-HONDA-CIVIC-AER...%3A1|240%3A1318

Yes, we all know the old story. I personally would like to drive the new Dodge Challenger or a nice little Hummer 3, instead of a Camry for the same price. But we living in Thailand and we can forget about this kind of Toys, exept if we go back to our country, then we have the cheap cars, the expeisive labour for service and parts and the expeisive insurance costs and road tax, etc, etc.

Another thing is that a Honda or Toyota is not overpriced in europe, like in Thailand. If you consider the Japanese cars they are only in the Aisian countrys overpriced. In Europe, the leaders are: VW, Ford, Opel, Benz and BMW, etc. In US the American cars.

Yes they are some Hyundais or Neon below 100'k, but those cars are exactly the ones who use to give a headache and a bade nam, because they are mostly so "sucked" out, that you have to spend another 50'k and 3 month repairing time to make in back to a normal standard. You get what you pay for. Buy a little bit a decent one for more money and you don't have the headache. You can't comparte the 75'k Hyundai with the 295'000 Baht Civic or Soluna. But you can find Hyundais or Neons between 140 and 170 and you get a good one. The current sitiation in Thailand will change more things. In a few years all this cheap cars are all gone anyway, because there is close to no new sales in Thailand anymore, therefore tey are gone on the used car market. we will have only local made cars on Thai market, for high prices. So customers with a limited budget will drive motorbike in the future.

Sad but true

Hi :o

Why not go for a Nissan NV small pickup? Those are reliable, cheap and you get ones year 96-97 for 100,000-ish Baht. 1.6 litre twin-cam engine has enough power and they are comfortable like a sedan (because they're based on the Nissan Sentra, i.e. no rear leaf springs etc). Also available as "Queen Cab" version and with Carryboy type canopy ("Wingroad").

Regards....

Thanh

Why not go for a Nissan NV small pickup

Yes there good but very small inside

For around the same price you can get a VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT or Audi 80, these cost over double/treble the NV price when new, there are loads For Sale between 85 - 150k fully loaded.

I looked at the Audi 80, they have electric windows x4, electric mirrors, Airbags, seat belt x5. CD player, The NV of this price has NON of these... The NV has airbag and Cd from 2001 @ 200k or more, even a 2007 NV still has NO electric windows, mirrors or rear seat belts and cost over 300k