Cheap Second Hand Cars

tomartoh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for so many interesting posts. I have just come down to Bangkok with a list of vehicles. My favourite the mazda 323 has sold plus a few others have.

Thought it was the dealers who told lies.!!!! I just saw a chrysler neon described verbally as in very good condition with service history and only 100,000km for 100,000bahts. Well i had great difficulty keeping my bad attitude in check. Totally dirty like not cleaned for long time with many scratches little dents and dull paintwork. no paperwork for service history and it had done 240,000km. Oh also it wouldnt start although managed to backfire a few times. Owner said would give new battery and discount the price!!! . Has LPG but no sticker in window. The owner was nice looking though, about 30, nice tits when she bent down and thighs ok as she sqautted to point out something to gf on front of car.

Now when gf calls sellers on the phone she asks if vehicle starts and runs. Upped my budget a bit. A guy is bringing a neon for me to see, so at least that must be a runner.

So all that advice and still going for the worst of the bunch cant help some people?

Yes, but maybe he is an American ?

On the other hand he did ask about Daewoo.. yesterday in Bang Yai there was a 1998 DAEWOO NEXIA 5Dr manual gears, the body work was perfect just one small scratch on the front bumper and one small [super market trolley type ding] on the rear door price was 68,000 baht..

This seller always appears to have 2 cars for sale on the side of the road, all info is in Thai + English with the price, a couple of months back there was a very nice 1996 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT Estate Automatic, perfect condition in dark blue 115,000 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at old and cheap cars for sale is a wearying job ... Full of disapointment and misinformation. Particularly when on a tight budget.

Most of the dealers were more honest in their appraisal of there vehicles than i remember in the UK and were also helpful. Test drives were not a problem. Private sellers were more optimistic about values and perhaps a little forgetful about specification and mileage.

But now its all over..................... now more mags to buy, no internet to trawl for adds for sale. Its bought.

1996 VOLVO 460 AUTO, 1 FAMILY OWNED, 125,000 KM, NOT TOO BATTERED ABOUT BY THE LADY OF THE HOUSE.

ALL FOR 110,000BAHTS

I could not bring myself to buy a Daewoo or Hyundai or late 80's Toyota.

So thanks to everyone for submitting responses to my various posts for information

You can buy a 1995 Toyota Camry (Australian built fully imported to Thailand) for around 200,000 baht. great motor car.

How expensive and available are the spare parts of this car? :o

Parts no problem, all available, can choice between original parts or made in Thaiwan, wich is cheaper.

why don't you get mitsubishi lancer 93 to 95 ? here they call it ecar. wonderful car, cheap and plenty of parts around. this is very famous car here to young teenagers as they tend to swap it to evolution-3. Plenty of options for modifying. Many engines to swap.

they have many garage in Bangkok only for mitsubishi lancer. They have 2 active clubs here with members more than 500+ so you will never have problems. Club members are always happy to assist you.

i'm driving one which i bought for 150k with pre installed LPG. It's been one year so far i had to change the bearing and clutch pad. Now i'm planning to swap engines with better one so that i will get better speed.

you can check it at the websites.

re modifying 93 to 95 mitsubishi lancer

The two problems I had were limited budget and the gf. She does my translating and would not likely have considered speaking Thai about a Lancer, I did try her about a Champ but she sneered at me in response. She did like Saab turbo, Audi A6, later model Volvo's, Mercs, BMW.

Now i am into boring old person mode maybe another Volvo, bigger one, for next vehicle.

re modifying 93 to 95 mitsubishi lancer

The two problems I had were limited budget and the gf. She does my translating and would not likely have considered speaking Thai about a Lancer, I did try her about a Champ but she sneered at me in response. She did like Saab turbo, Audi A6, later model Volvo's, Mercs, BMW.

Now i am into boring old person mode maybe another Volvo, bigger one, for next vehicle.

I also am into boring old person mode, but never mind the volvo, maybe time for a newer girlfriend, probably cheaper in the long run. best of luckbiggrin.gif

Tomartoh. 'but you know you cannot tell a pair of thais anything' SOOOOOOO true. :o

Yes, they never learn. You don't know how many times I have told my Thai wife....I told you so, but you no listen or learn to listen.

Love her all the same.

Martian

Yes me. I can thoroughly recommend the Nissan Sunny FF produced upto 1995. You can pick them up for as little as 40,000 but for something a bit better 50 - 60,000. I sold mine recently for 45,000....still looked pretty good but rust was just starting so it had to go. I paid 59,000 for it and ran it for a year and a half no problems. Took it to Petchaboon 3 tips , Pattaya 4 , Suphan Buri, Ayudhaya ...never a problem. Cruised at 90 - 100 kph and returned 15 - 16 k per litre. Plenty of cheap spares around too.

Here is a link for this car.. Bangkok prices http://www.thaicar.com/viewpic_final.asp?z...r=&stopYear=

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at old and cheap cars for sale is a wearying job ... Full of disapointment and misinformation. Particularly when on a tight budget.

Most of the dealers were more honest in their appraisal of there vehicles than i remember in the UK and were also helpful. Test drives were not a problem. Private sellers were more optimistic about values and perhaps a little forgetful about specification and mileage.

But now its all over..................... now more mags to buy, no internet to trawl for adds for sale. Its bought.

1996 VOLVO 460 AUTO, 1 FAMILY OWNED, 125,000 KM, NOT TOO BATTERED ABOUT BY THE LADY OF THE HOUSE.

ALL FOR 110,000BAHTS

So thanks to everyone for submitting responses to my various posts for information

Excellent choise. I got one too recently, bit older (1977), bit cheaper (40K........ :o ), but they're un-breakable them old Volvos.

Volvo-244-1976.jpg

ALL FOR 110,000BAHTS

I don't know myself, thats why I'm asking. Are you not worried / is it not more difficult and expense when it comes to breakdown / servicing and maintenance with European as opposed to Japanese cars in Thailand ?

Edited by ArranP

Why not go for a Nissan NV small pickup

Yes there good but very small inside

For around the same price you can get a VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT or Audi 80, these cost over double/treble the NV price when new, there are loads For Sale between 85 - 150k fully loaded.

I looked at the Audi 80, they have electric windows x4, electric mirrors, Airbags, seat belt x5. CD player, The NV of this price has NON of these... The NV has airbag and Cd from 2001 @ 200k or more, even a 2007 NV still has NO electric windows, mirrors or rear seat belts and cost over 300k

Same question here...

I don't know myself, thats why I'm asking. Are you not worried / is it not more difficult and expense when it comes to breakdown / servicing and maintenance with European as opposed to Japanese cars in Thailand .

Edited by ArranP

servicing and maintenance with European as opposed to Japanese cars in Thailand .

Should be about the same, as long as your not going to a Main Dealers with a 12 - 15 yr old car..

As most Thais appear to buy Thai/Japanese cars, I found that most European cars are in better condition, less owners, less km..

There a 32 yr old European car for sale at the moment 3 owners, present owner for past 14 years.

Arran P

I paid 110,000b and have added another 20,000 or so for replacements and repairs. replaced shocks all around [sticks to the road like shit to a blanket now], couple of exhaust boxes and pipe. drive and fan belts and pulley. sensors for idle speed. repair to aircon. drives nice but got to track down the rattles.

All work done at small garages,. some garages have signs outside to say [in thai] that they work on european cars.

work was done ok and until brake pads and tyres wear out i hope everything else will be ok., didnt feel cheated and no garage tried to load me up with unnecessary jobs. all work done there and then

would like a new dvd, would also like respray 15,000 but getting used to the scrapes and dents now

Dont feel to worry about parts or service now. but think maybe some european makes are maybe a bit obscure

Hey Talok, i got to admire your confidence in volvo, yours is 2 1/2 times older than mine.

Got this one, a very rare 264 model. Strong, have a Toyota 6 cylinder 24 valve engine, automatic, runs smooth, powerful and for ever.

Nice car..

Volvo 264 GL (Automatic) has a 2664cc or 2849cc engine, the main problem was the thirst, at around 15 MPG, were as the D6 was a 2383 cc Turbo Diesel which was faster and did near 30MPG

I don't think the D6 was ever sold in the UK but was in Europe, back in the 80's almost all Taxis in Portugal were the D6 2383 cc Turbo Diesel..

Got this one, a very rare 264 model. Strong, have a Toyota 6 cylinder 24 valve engine, automatic, runs smooth, powerful and for ever.

Nice car..

Volvo 264 GL (Automatic) has a 2664cc or 2849cc engine, the main problem was the thirst, at around 15 MPG, were as the D6 was a 2383 cc Turbo Diesel which was faster and did near 30MPG

I don't think the D6 was ever sold in the UK but was in Europe, back in the 80's almost all Taxis in Portugal were the D6 2383 cc Turbo Diesel..

I saw in Bangkok in Sukhumvit Road a dealer who havea 264 Coupe. The first time i ever saw one. Excellend nice body. Must be a classic now.

That would be the Volvo 262C Coupe

The one on Sukhumvit Rd looks wonderful but the price

http://www.thaicar.com/en_showroom1.asp?GI...dcar=&type=

989,999 Thai Baht 2.8 COUPE Automatic

post-42643-1235600672_thumb.jpg

It looks great, like a US Car. But yeas the price. Every car who look nice cost a lot of money overhere. But i guess this car is very rear. Even in Europe i never saw one.

Trying to save money. I have seen advertised on thai sites 10/11 year old Chrysler neon, Daewoo and Hyundai cars for around 100,000bahts,

which is about a third the price of similar Toyotas and Hondas.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of running these vehicles.

how about a Year-2539-Hyundai-Excel?

Trying to save money. I have seen advertised on thai sites 10/11 year old Chrysler neon, Daewoo and Hyundai cars for around 100,000bahts,

This is a 1996 Exel. Normally Exel was built until 1994, after that they replaced the Exel with the Hyundai Accent. You have to see the condition with the old Exels. Mostly, not allways, but mostly all the suspensions. driveshaft and joints are dead. AC have many problems too. Prepare to spend at least 20 to 30' k for repairs.

This is a 1996 Exel. Normally Exel was built until 1994, after that they replaced the Exel with the Hyundai Accent. You have to see the condition with the old Exels. Mostly, not allways, but mostly all the suspensions. driveshaft and joints are dead. AC have many problems too. Prepare to spend at least 20 to 30' k for repairs.

wow Stingray!! you are really knowledgeable!! any idea how much to fix the suspension?

About Exel: as i said, ussally about 20'k for shocks, bushes, ball joints drive shafts. etc. It's depend how bad is it. Of course, not every Exel is that bad. I junst talk about the average ones. Exels usally only peaple drives who have no money, wich isn't a shame, but those peaple also spend no money for maintenance. They just drive and use the vehicle until it falling a part. Doesn't matter if it's a exel, accent or chrysler Neon or VW or any brand. for a 12 to 15 year old used car you have to spend always money for the front and rear end suspensions. Locals never do anything and i my self can't drive a car who has noises like a drummer in a Rock Group, when driving on the road.

Similar with Peugeot 406. Not a bad lokking car, specially the 5 door ones (Hatchback) looks great. as i mentioned in another post, Peugeont parts are cheap in Woratchack available, You have to understand, mor cheap the car more you have to spend for fixing. I bought once a 1990 Peugeot 405 Pinifarina, (i like that body and the pinifarina spoiler kit and wheels) for only 55'k and i touhgt it's cheap and i thougt for another 50' k the car would be finished. But just afther spending another 80'k i was happy to drive the car. It was drivable when i bought it, but i had to change almost everything, all suspensions, bearrings, carburetor, headlights, taillights, AC wasn't work, automatic transmission, fuel pump all the brakes, tires, everything. Finally it took me more than 2 months the car was good enought for me, but it cost 130'k already. So we know, this kind of cars i don't buy again, becausse for 130'k i could buy a good one and without any headache and timewaste for fixing up. Personaly i like Peogeots, They look different and sporty. Just make shure you get a good one. Parts aren't expensive. I saw a 406 Hatch back in the papers, last week for only 100'k. But when i arrived at the scene i saw they changed a Toyota engine, put in LPG Gas concersation, eignine was already noise (valves) didn't run smooth, drive shaft ratteling, suspensions was dead, cracks all over the bumpers, foglight missind, interion was f..kced up,, etc. One Lady Owner only. Typical never care anything. She wants to boy a noe car. No wonder why no dealer would trade in. So i din't bought it too. To much headache to fix up a almost dead car like this back to live.

One thing is sure: I bouht so many cars in my life already and always the ones with LPG gave me a headache. Because Locals run ther LPG Cars only on LPG. They never have a drop of Benzine in their Tank. Almost every of this "LPG Cars" have fuel pump damaged and tank gauge sensor damaged, because corrosion. When fuel pump and tank sensor not stay in Benzine, they get damaged. immidently. Therfore even LPG Cars should have at least a half Tank fuel in their cars.