Driving To Mae Sai... Easy?

plumski

Sorry B. Bill,

OMG do I sound stupid! Only been there once, had the most talkative guide in the business and can’t remember sh*t. Dug up a map when I went off line “Oh embarrassment embarrassment”. Blame lack of concentration on the avid thought of further travel at a much reduced price. Agent here (Ballarat) got everything signed, sealed and paid for before we left Oz, now finding out about the better ways to get more bang……

Sadly I’ll probably do the foot & mouth thing again, but am finding these threads a real learning tool, have to try harder not to drive you old hands crazy. Thanx BJ

You must have been a West High boy? Just over the road from Victoria Park. Remember the bike (motor) races there many years ago?

About the "white temple" (Wat Rong Khun) - it truly is a remarkable place. As the photo of the reaching hands suggests, it has some amazing art - as well as the overall effect effect of all that white and silver mirror mosaic pieces. The wall paintings inside are astonishing - including very imaginative and stunningly modern representations of 9-11 etc. I was fortunate enough to be there over a year ago when the artists were still at work on them.

I've wondered where the money comes from to pay for all this - and who was boldly imaginative enough to commission the design and art. In any event, it has become a major attraction and (from what I hear since) always seem to be busy with visitors. A "must see".

It's not a real temple (in the true sense of the word)

Built by some guy with money burning a hole in his pockets. (probably provides some return from donations received)

That said, it is quite a nice place to visit.

The whole area is owned by a very famous thai painter called 'Chalermchai Kositpipat' ... he sells his paintings (like hot cakes) around thailand and overseas too. He gets some money from donations also and is commissioned to do some jobs around thailand (the new -weird- clock in chiangrai for ex.) and the huge project to build (i think) an underwater temple in the lake of Phayao ...

About the "white temple" (Wat Rong Khun) - it truly is a remarkable place. As the photo of the reaching hands suggests, it has some amazing art - as well as the overall effect effect of all that white and silver mirror mosaic pieces. The wall paintings inside are astonishing - including very imaginative and stunningly modern representations of 9-11 etc. I was fortunate enough to be there over a year ago when the artists were still at work on them.

I've wondered where the money comes from to pay for all this - and who was boldly imaginative enough to commission the design and art. In any event, it has become a major attraction and (from what I hear since) always seem to be busy with visitors. A "must see".

It's not a real temple (in the true sense of the word)

Built by some guy with money burning a hole in his pockets. (probably provides some return from donations received)

That said, it is quite a nice place to visit.

The whole area is owned by a very famous thai painter called 'Chalermchai Kositpipat' ... he sells his paintings (like hot cakes) around thailand and overseas too. He gets some money from donations also and is commissioned to do some jobs around thailand (the new -weird- clock in chiangrai for ex.) and the huge project to build (i think) an underwater temple in the lake of Phayao ...

Thanks for that info - he certainly produces interesting work.

You must have been a West High boy? Just over the road from Victoria Park. Remember the bike (motor) races there many years ago?

Sorry BB grew up in Sydney, moved to Melbourne for affordable real estate, and Vic Park is enemy territory – windy hill is/was home. Bikes are a nogo zone for me, had a bang-up in C.M. ’08 and that ended my working life but not the love affair with LOS and C.M. in particular, which is why I’m asking all these dumb questions about the trip to Mae Sai, to try andmake the april/may trip a better experience. BJ

There are some nice stops along the way... HOT SPRING... and the WHITE TEMPLE... or whatever it is :-)

The trip is easy... but be prepared for a long... mostly boring car ride :-)

You have either, never been on a tip to Mae Sai, or you don't have a clue...

But that trip is not Boring in ANY way.