Sunee Grand Hotel & Convention Center

jay-uk

Anyone visited the new Sunee Grand Hotel yet in Ubon? It looks great on the website I'd be interested to hear about their food in the restaurant and quality of rooms for future reference:

Sunee Grand Hotel & Convention Center

512/8 Chayangkul Road, Muang District, UbonRatchathani Province 34000 Thailand

Tel : +66 45283999 ,45352900 Fax : +6645352999

http://www.suneegrandhotel.com/main3.php

Ubon Ratchathani province, one of E-Sarn major cities, the center of Buddhism, the cauldron of old civilization with its diverse cultures and races,

the fields of wild flowers and the forests bordering, Lao and Cambodia, especially the first daylight in Thailand.

Sunee Grand Hotel & Convention Center central is located in the center of the city, just only 2 kilometers from the International Airport.

Graceful interiors complement the picturesque richness of the hotel’s luxury, 219 guest rooms feature while room amenities offer all the comfort of home and

the biggest Convention Hall total 2,592 square meter with convenient access to the Shopping Center, Water Fun Park, Bowling and Entertainment complex.

Hotel Rooms : 219 rooms

Meeting Rooms : 11 meeting rooms include 1 Convention hall

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a night at Sunee Grand Hotel. It is open now but limited operations. The grand opening is tentatively planned for mid March. I posted an interview with the Managing Director on my blog and will have a post about the facilities in the next few days. The City Mall next to the hotel and part of the overall Sunee Tower is partially open and this Friday is suppose to be the opening of a new supermarket. It is a nice place and the room rates are a bit more than the norm here in Ubon.

Looks like a great place for farang family when visiting relatives. If the standards are maintained then it will be great for the city. When my parents visited Ubon last time around they did not like Lai Thong too much and now there is more choice around the city centre within walking distance of shops and nightlife. Great that people are spreading the word about Ubon and making new friends locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent one night at the Sunee Grand Hotel in Ubon Ratchathani, here are our impressions:-

The hotel is still under construction and this is clearly evident when you approach the hotel from the soi where it's located. The swimming pool, some ground floor outlets attached to the hotel and some outside public footpaths are not finished. Adjoining the hotel there is a shopping mall with 2 floors completed and other floors under construction When you enter the hotel lobby it's very plush with a large lobby area and comfy sofa's and easily on a par with any 4*+ hotels in Bangkok. Our room was upgraded automatically, I guess because the hotel is yet complete. The receptionist was friendly and efficient and we checked in smoothly. All areas inside the hotel we viewed were finished to a very high standard. The room itself was spacious, well designed and appointed and immaculately clean. The only criticism was that the large bathroom has no separate shower and while the bath was big, it felt it was made of very thin plastic when stepping inside to take a shower.

The rate (1500 baht) included free breakfast which was served (not buffet style) and was tasty enough.

The hotel was near empty and we only saw one other family in the hotel during that night.

All in all it was so much better than the Ubon International hotel which we find very dated and the last time we stayed, saw a rat the size of a cat darting across the floor at breakfast time.

Here are some pics of the room, enjoy whilst its still new and clean:-

post-49067-1233706470_thumb.jpgpost-49067-1233706515_thumb.jpgpost-123-1101955288_thumb.jpg

post-49067-1233706561_thumb.jpg

post-49067-1233707166_thumb.jpg

Nice write up. Similar to my experience there for a night. Nice feeling to stay in a new hotel with, as of yet, few guest. It will be interesting to watch as their occupancy rate increases. It is definitely a great and welcome addition to the list of Ubon hotels and accommodation.

The bath/shower set up is better than in my house. The superior and jr suites have separate but costs more.

The City Mall beside the hotel is suppose to open its supermarket Feb 7 which is already a postponed date.

They are suppose to offer a buffet breakfast but I am sure it is driven by how many guests are staying there.

I didn't see a Rat in the Nevada Hotel or Ubon International as it is now known but they did serve me up a Steak which was like the sole of my shoe some time ago. Maybe the rat was after what was left of my steak. :o

I hope that the newly built Sunne Grand can maintain a high standard of food and room as they are opening at a time when occupancy will no doubt be low if reliant on tourists alone. If they manage to keep the meeting rooms and restaurant fully booked with wealthy Thais then that could help but I fear in the short term there will be too few foreign tourists through its doors and they could struggle.

Edited by jay-uk

A bit off topic....................................but rats can be found in the most unwanted places.

I saw a big one strolling around in the fresh food section in Robinson Sukhumvit rd.

The Thais who were shopping did raise their eyebrows, while the working staff didn't bother at all. :o

Lets hope that Sunnee Grand will have enough resources to keep a good standard, and that the shopping Mall when finished will bring additional interest. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just stayed there for 2 nights, whilst the hotel was quite pleasant and the food was decent, when i checked out, i left a sim card in the room as me and my wife were sharing 1 phone for a couple of days, after checking out i got a new phone and later that day, a few hours later, i realised i left my sim card, phoned the hotel and it had not been handed in by the maid, called the sim number and it was on, no answer, called again and then off, hotel said they asked their staff but no one admitted taking it and nothing else they could do. i dont really care about the couple of hundred baht they used calling but i do care that i lost all my contact numbers for business here in thailand and abroad.

So yes its a comfortable and convenient place to stay, but watch your stuff, dont leave anything in your room and if having your room cleaned whilst your stay, take your stuff or lock it in the safe. otherwise you may never see it again as the people running their hotel seem to beleive and care more about their theiving maids.

I just stayed there for 2 nights, whilst the hotel was quite pleasant and the food was decent, when i checked out, i left a sim card in the room as me and my wife were sharing 1 phone for a couple of days, after checking out i got a new phone and later that day, a few hours later, i realised i left my sim card, phoned the hotel and it had not been handed in by the maid, called the sim number and it was on, no answer, called again and then off, hotel said they asked their staff but no one admitted taking it and nothing else they could do. i dont really care about the couple of hundred baht they used calling but i do care that i lost all my contact numbers for business here in thailand and abroad.

So yes its a comfortable and convenient place to stay, but watch your stuff, dont leave anything in your room and if having your room cleaned whilst your stay, take your stuff or lock it in the safe. otherwise you may never see it again as the people running their hotel seem to beleive and care more about their theiving maids.

• 2 months later...
Went there this morning. The place is still only 50% finished BUT the swimming pool was open!

Is the pool nice enough you think to make a stay there worth it? I think online the price is like 1500, but I'm not sure if you can reserve online or if it's cheaper just to show up.

1,500 baht is as cheap as you will ever get it is that is about half the rack rate and is an opening special only.

If you have kids it would be will worth it, if you are expecting to do a few laps before enjoying a cocktail at the pool bar forget it. It is open to the public for starters and it is solely designed to keep the little ones amused.

Someone mentioned earlier about the supermarket opening soon, well that is open as well but is is small and at first glance has nothing different at all for sale that you wont find at big g or tesco etc.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm thinking of staying at this Sunnee place in a couple of weeks- anyone stayed their recently or know if the swimming pool is finished?

The water park is open for sure and so is the supermarket, but is actually closer to a mini mart, maybe can call is a midi-mart. The water park is great for kids but not to good for an adult wanting to swim. There is a pool at the hotel 3rd or 4th level and a fitness center. But last time I was over there about 10 days ago neither were open yet. It could be open now though.

The photos make the place seem bigger than it really is.

Just taken my daughter and a couple of friends there for the 2nd time.

Last time you could gain access from the 2nd floor carpark to the shopping area then get escalators up to the

water park.

Today all escalators shut down while work was going on.Access was through the hotel entrance,elevaator

to the 5th floor then escalator down.

Also the prices have increased for Saturday and Sunday.Previously was 80 baht for anybody over

1.3m tall,now gone up to 100 baht.Between 80cm and 1.3m was 60 baht, now 80 baht.

Still free for anyone under 80 cm.Snacks 10 baht for a sausage,20 baht for a paper cup of Mama noodles.

Place still had quite a few people in it,but less than a couple of weeks ago.

I guess when the novelty wears off,locals will resume taking thier children to the swimming pools,

only costing about 30 baht-but with no slides etc.

The children loved the place,though.

Edited by BlueScouse

Place still had quite a few people in it,but less than a couple of weeks ago.

I guess when the novelty wears off,locals will resume taking thier children to the swimming pools,

only costing about 30 baht-but with no slides etc.

Will see if it will survive if the customer accounts start to fall this soon already.

there must be a huge daily maintanance cost's of it, its not free to pump water for those slides and pools...

that might be the reasson why entry fees are hiked up slightly