770 Bodies Found In Thailand's Khao Lak Beach

george

770 bodies found in Thailand's Khao Lak beach

phpuDdQkX.jpg

BANGKOK: Rescuers have recovered 770 bodies, both foreigners and Thais, along the Khao Lak beach north of Thailand's Phuket resort island, according to a regional disaster official.

The beach in Phang Nga province appears to be the area worst hit by tidal waves in southern Thailand over the weekend, besides Krabi, Phuket, Ranong, Satun and Trang.

Thailand's official death toll stood at 1,473, with 1,400 missing, many of them Thais working in the tourist trade.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said the final death toll may reach 2,000.

He ordered three days of national mourning.

Meanwhile tour operators in Stockholm estimated that at least 1,600 Swedish tourists were still missing in Thailand.

This figure does not include people who organized their own holiday in Thailand without the help of a travel agency, Stockholm media reported.

Of Sweden's big three tour operators, Fritidsresor told the TT news agency

that it still has no news from 600 Swedish travellers in the Phuket and Khao Lak areas.

Another operator, Mytravel, said it had not any contact with around 500 Swedes in Thailand.

The Apollo agency said it was also still trying to reach 500 of the Swedish

holidaymakers it had flown into Thailand for Christmas, but a spokesman said there were huge communications problems with neither fax nor data lines working properly.

- CNA 2004-12-28

Refrigeration is in high demand in Khao Lak, they have lined the bodies up on the ground. One of the most beautiful paces in Southern Thailand has had the full force of this tragedy.

If you are looking to help and you can afford it, sponsor a refrigerated truck and send it to Khao Lak.

anybody hear anything about Koh Lanta, as I have a friend there who I cannot reach ?

No sms, telephone, nothing

All I know is that the newly opened Twin Lotus Resort and Spa (KlongDao Beach)has been severely damaged and that the guests staying there were transferred to the Twin Lotus Hotel in Nakhonsithammarat. Will be meeting up with some of them tomorrow and will make some more enquiries.

Refrigeration is in high demand in Khao Lak, they have lined the bodies up on the ground. One of the most beautiful paces in Southern Thailand has had the full force of this tragedy.

If you are looking to help and you can afford it, sponsor a refrigerated truck and send it to Khao Lak.

We have a small fleet of pickups going to Khoa Lak on Thursday taking things like fresh water, blankets, clothing and bin liners etc. Will make enquiries regarding a refridgerated truck tomorrow.

This is the news received via our local Website.

Sadly, not much mention of Thailand!!

Aid operations launched for victims Aid agencies have prepared for what could be the biggest relief effort in history after the tsunami that devastated coastal Asia.

An Oxfam charter flight carrying £100,000-worth of equipment including water tanks, pumps and taps to set up emergency drinking water systems for homeless families is leaving for Sri Lanka and Indonesia tomorrow.

Save the Children UK has begun handing out dried food to 33,000 families in Sri Lanka with the help of £490,000 of funding provided by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. World Vision is running feeding programmes in eight districts in southern India.

Cafod, part of the Caritas network, said international catholic agencies are sending emergency workers to Sri Lanka, India and Indonesia, and £1.1 million has been pledged to cover immediate needs.

The Government has given £400,000 through the European Union to a Red Cross appeal to help survivors, and is providing about £50,000 to the World Health Organisation to prevent outbreaks of disease.

To donate to the emergency appeals, people can call any of these numbers: the British Red Cross: 08705 125 125 Cafod: 0500 858 8885 Oxfam: 0870 333 2500 Save the Children: 0207 012 6400 World Vision: 0800 088 088.

Story filed: 13:32:47 Tuesday 28 December 2004

GB

Edited by paulr1981

"Sadly, not much mention of Thailand!!

Aid operations launched for victims Aid agencies have prepared for what could be the biggest relief effort in history after the tsunami that devastated coastal Asia."

BBC TV says Thailand has side stepped offers of Int'l assistance. This is consistent with pronouncements over the last year that Thailand doesn't need int'l aid/assistance and that the country prefers to show the world it is no longer a 'developing' country in need of 'developed' know how..

Thaksin will never accept help for to do that will mean he would need to show where the relief money went.

He will do his best to make it appear that thailand is safe

SARS

cops killing farangs,

Terrriorists down south

and dead bodies along the road.

3 days of mourning will not help those that need support to make ends meet and food on the table

come enjoy yourself in Thailand

Thaksin will never accept help for to do that will mean he would need to show where the relief money went.

SARS

cops killing farangs,

Terrriorists down south

3 days of mourning will not help those that need support to make ends meet and food on the table

On reading all of your posts today I would say to you, go and get drunk and relieve some stress. :o

SARS

cops killing farangs,

Terrriorists down south

On reading all of your posts today I would say to you, go and get drunk and relieve some stress. :o

Thaksin will not accept help for other reasons.

1. He wants to get the credit for aiding these areas and thus get the votes.

If foreigners come to the aid, it implies that Thaksin did not, or could not.

2. Thaksin wants to show foreigners as the villains.

If foreigners come to the aid, then they are most certainly not the villains.

"Sadly, not much mention of Thailand!!

Aid operations launched for victims Aid agencies have prepared for what could be the biggest relief effort in history after the tsunami that devastated coastal Asia."

BBC TV says Thailand has side stepped offers of Int'l assistance. This is consistent with pronouncements over the last year that Thailand doesn't need int'l aid/assistance and that the country prefers to show the world it is no longer a 'developing' country in need of 'developed' know how..

Taka Sin not bad for a guy who stole his American partner’s knowledge, money and is willing to sell out people in Burma to get SLORC( sounds like a monsters name doesn’t it, I was eaten by SLORC's ) to use his satellite so he can make money.

Kind of reminds you of the cop who shot the Brits doesn’t it!

SARS

cops killing farangs,

Terrriorists down south

Yes that could be a good solution, he's a royal pain in the ###

I live in Krabi and for the last three days have been volunteering at the hospital. Railey beach someone asked about is pretty messed up. East side was affected but Tonsai and Railey West got the brunt of it. Tonsai has been swept away but a lot of the bungalows are quite high and therefore okay but all along the front has been destroyed.

Ao Nang on the beach front is quite broken up as well. Koh Jam has been devestated quite badly too.

Everyone at Krabi Hospital has been great. For a small provincial hospital they have coped amazingly well and almost too many volunteers which has been fantastic. Restores your faith in human nature when you see people pull together in the face of such a major tragedy.

And yes a beer or two does help.

I live in Krabi and for the last three days have been volunteering at the hospital. Railey beach someone asked about is pretty messed up. East side was affected but Tonsai and Railey West got the brunt of it. Tonsai has been swept away but a lot of the bungalows are quite high and therefore okay but all along the front has been destroyed.

Ao Nang on the beach front is quite broken up as well. Koh Jam has been devestated quite badly too.

Everyone at Krabi Hospital has been great. For a small provincial hospital they have coped amazingly well and almost too many volunteers which has been fantastic. Restores your faith in human nature when you see people pull together in the face of such a major tragedy.

I live in Krabi and for the last three days have been volunteering at the hospital.  Railey beach someone asked about is pretty messed up.  East side was affected but Tonsai and Railey West got the brunt of it.  Tonsai has been swept away but a lot of the bungalows are quite high and therefore okay but all along the front has been destroyed.

Ao Nang on the beach front is quite broken up as well.  Koh Jam has been devestated quite badly too.

Everyone at Krabi Hospital has been great.  For a small provincial hospital they have coped amazingly well and almost too many volunteers which has been fantastic.  Restores your faith in human nature when you see people pull together in the face of such a major tragedy.

Can you tell me if the Krabi Sands resort is ???, I have tried to call Mark and cannot contact???

I live in Krabi and for the last three days have been volunteering at the hospital.  Railey beach someone asked about is pretty messed up.  East side was affected but Tonsai and Railey West got the brunt of it.  Tonsai has been swept away but a lot of the bungalows are quite high and therefore okay but all along the front has been destroyed.

Ao Nang on the beach front is quite broken up as well.  Koh Jam has been devestated quite badly too.

Everyone at Krabi Hospital has been great.  For a small provincial hospital they have coped amazingly well and almost too many volunteers which has been fantastic.  Restores your faith in human nature when you see people pull together in the face of such a major tragedy.

Can you tell me if the Krabi Sands resort is ???, I have tried to call Mark and cannot contact???

Most of the big hotels that are right on the beach have been damaged but some not so badly. Up the coast I know the Sheriton are taking in refugees as well as most of the others.

The telephone network is so overloaded it is difficult to even sms. Just keep trying to call. The lines seem to free up later. If you send me his name I can check the missing lists and the hospital lists in the morning.

This arrived in my mailbox overnight:

SOUTHERN THAILAND

NEEDS URGENT HELP

WE ARE ASKING OUR

CUSTOMERS & FRIENDS

FOR DONATIONS OF

NEW OR USED

CLOTHING, SHOES.

TOILETRIES FOOD

OR ANYTHING

YOU THINK MAY HELP

THE PEOPLE OF

SOUTHERN THAILAND

THE RED CROSS

WILL BE COLLECTING ITEMS FROM

THE OFFICE BAR

ON A REGULAR BASIS

PLEASE HELP

IF YOU CAN

BOB, SAM & STAFF

His name is Mark Chapman and he has a Thai wife and two kids. The restaurant part of the resort is right on the beach and the bungalows are further back across the road. It is very close to The Sheraton.

Edited by Tornado

Krabi Sands Resort

Klong Muang Beach

118 Moo 3

Nong Talay

Krabi 81000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

International Phone/FAX:

+66 75 644 339

Mobile 1:

+66 1 892 8493

Mobile 2:

+66 1 501 5168

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phone/FAX in Thailand:

075 644 339

Mobile 1:

01 892 8493

Mobile 2:

01 501 5168

E-mail: [email protected]

I cannot connect to any number. ???

1.  He wants to get the credit for aiding these areas and thus get the votes.

2.  Thaksin wants to show foreigners as the villains.

Exactly what I thought

1.  He wants to get the credit for aiding these areas and thus get the votes.

2.  Thaksin wants to show foreigners as the villains.

Exactly what I thought

I can just hear you guys now, if Taksin DID accept foreign aid: "he's a billionaire, and he has to go begging from overseas?" "He buys a private jet for himself, then takes foreign aid?" Face it, the guy can't win with some of you people.