Policeman Cheats Bt1.2 Million In Traffic Fine Rewards

george

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As already mentioned a few times, It is policy that police officers get an fixed percentage of the fines.

This is to increase there small salary with all side effects.

On Phuket it is ( if I remember correctly ) 10.000 baht a person.

This amount was increased a few years ago.

I don’t know if this is the correct way to do it but it works. You see less bribes ( openly on the streets during traffic checks ) then a few years ago.

I Read this too. I think it was in a national daily or one of our local papers.

When Thaksin was in (Official) Power, he increased the monthly maximum commision rate for fines from about 3,500 Baht or something to 10,000 Baht per month. They get 50% of the fine.

I seem to remember that this was overturned when he left (Official) office.

BTW: Remember Thaksin started his career as a Police Sgt in Chiang Mai post-34728-1231484121.gif

Should the police be rewarded for hard work and not being corrupted, yes i think so. taking into consideration that their paid is low. Fine rewards may not sound nice...but its a bonus to them for work well done provided they do it professionally. If a inspector solved lots of crimal cases, he will be promoted one day..so its the same...hard work and work hard..

I don't think they should be rewarded.... that breads police giving away tickets to people that did not deserve a ticket in the first place... The "reward" is really a sales commission, and we all know how trustworthy and honest most commission based sales people are....

If there is an investigation, which I doubt, then progress of this should be reported on the front page of every newspaper. A copy of the findings should be printed on every driving licence. The subject of racism and unlawful fines levied on foreigners has been covered hundreds if not thousands of times -- but it continues.

If there is an investigation, which I doubt, then progress of this should be reported on the front page of every newspaper. A copy of the findings should be printed on every driving licence. The subject of racism and unlawful fines levied on foreigners has been covered hundreds if not thousands of times -- but it continues.

what does that have to do with the story at hand?

I believe they're entitled to pocket 50% of the "on the spot fines". Anything paid at the station goes into the "joint account". That's why the police will charge you less at the roadside (usually half) because it goes into their own pocket!

Oh, I see..

Legalized corruption.

Like the other poster wrote..." Next..."

What is wrong in legalise corruption. The govt will gain in the form of income tax.

In our world, we have already legalised sex, drug, gambling, alchohol, tobaco, gay marriage, etc.

May I point out that the "commission" in this case is a legitimate, above-board operating expense that is designed to supplement the disgracefully low incomes of the loyal members of the Royal Thai Police. I suspect strongly that it is not even 8,000 per man, but proportionate to the rank of the individual. I am guessing that the poor slobs at the bottom standing out in the heat and pollution and dealing day in, day out with some of God's worst drivers only see a very timy slice of the pie, as the big guys need more money because they have bigger bribes to pay to the guys above them. The 1.2 million hee refers to "legitimate" and documented fines, duly receipted.

Now, about the other, UN-documented fines that we all know about.... how big a pool do you think THAT is?

What you are saying is that to fight corruption with police officers taking money, they allow them to take equal amount of money even if they force the drivers to pay the full 'required' amount (at the station, not in hand). So the officers gets the same amount, the drivers pay more and the government gets more in revenue. Interesting... fighting corruption by still allowing them to take the same amount...

You cant fight corruption when you pay your cops a scandalous salary !! Is this a joke ?? As en ex-cop, my state gave me a salary high enough so I did not want to be corrupted.

Do you think getting a 5000/mo to take care of a family is enough while they can make so much money easily, of course the practice is hatefull but this is life and no one can tell me the government do not know about that... I even think the government is part of that corruption deal with the police...

Of course 5k cannot take care of their families, but the solution is to increase their salaries not to legalize the previous corruption-scheme that was, by incorporating it into the fabric of the proceedings.

What is next, tax-collectors getting a % of the revenue so they go after companies harder?

While I think commission-based salaries works in some aspect, it does not for those that should regulate laws either directly or indirectly against the citizens. We don't pay judges extra if they manage to get through more court cases than the average per month, and why don't we? Since we need to have some basic trust in that the system isn't abused for monetary purposes.

So by legalizing the bribing (aka taking money per ticket written) they have de facto removed the ability (or: raised the bar) for a citizen to complain against unfare ticket issuing with the sole purpose of extorting money. One cannot even pull the 'then I will go to the station and pay this [so you will receive none of the false extracted money from this fraudulent ticket]' and have them negotiate about the price. They know they will get payed anyway.

(Edge-cases not considered, as one can still of course pay some officers off or negotiate a very high request for a direct-in-hand-fee. I'm speaking more from an ideological standpoint.)

How long can he and his family live on the 1.2mio Bath?That was not very clever he will loose his job and further tea money sources.

I bet he will not lose his job,

He will dispear for a while then come back and confess all. then he will be considered an "all round good egg"

and pardoned!

Not sure what the other police officers would do to him though.

How long can he and his family live on the 1.2mio Bath?That was not very clever he will loose his job and further tea money sources.

If he was clever he would not have made it to the police force in the first place.

Not necessarily because a clever policeman can make a lot of money in Thailand.

How long???

5,000/mo - salary

5,000/mo - share of legal fines

5,000?/mo - tea money

----------

15,000/mo X 12 = 180,000/year

1,200,000/180,000 = 6 year & 8 months

Or with less tea money and fines - say 10,000/month... 1.2mil = 10 years

What do would people in the west do for a 7 to 10 years salary windfall?

What would you do for half a million dollars?

(What would I do for half a million dollars? Offer it to me and see!!!)

As an aside, last night a policeman told me that under Thai law the penalties are more severe if you steal something at night rather than in the day.Also the penalties for stealing agricultural tools or machinery are harsher than for thefts from other professions.

Quite right too, I love my'jorb'( Thai spade)

What you are saying is that to fight corruption with police officers taking money, they allow them to take equal amount of money even if they force the drivers to pay the full 'required' amount (at the station, not in hand). So the officers gets the same amount, the drivers pay more and the government gets more in revenue. Interesting... fighting corruption by still allowing them to take the same amount...

You cant fight corruption when you pay your cops a scandalous salary !! Is this a joke ?? As en ex-cop, my state gave me a salary high enough so I did not want to be corrupted.

Do you think getting a 5000/mo to take care of a family is enough while they can make so much money easily, of course the practice is hatefull but this is life and no one can tell me the government do not know about that... I even think the government is part of that corruption deal with the police...

Corruption in police is everywere...also if your state pay to you a salary high enough,,,in your state never had a police man whit that charge? I dont think so.