Caviar With An Oyster

corkscrew

From Bacchus at Ruam Rudee. The dish comes with 3 fresh Australian oysters served with tiny black fish eggs and larger 'redish' caviar. Excellent.

thanks for all the photos about this restaurant. shareholder by chance there corkscrew?

From Bacchus at Ruam Rudee. The dish comes with 3 fresh Australian oysters served with tiny black fish eggs and larger 'redish' caviar. Excellent.

thanks for all the photos about this restaurant. shareholder by chance there corkscrew?

No, but the Thai owner was in the place last night. She gave me a 500 baht discount card on a future meal.

PS: Here is the Rocket Salad. Also, excellent.

post-9122-1231491978_thumb.jpg

both are rather cheap substitutes of the "real thing". the black one origninates from lump fish and the "reddish" one most probably from trout. besides, a connoisseur would never eat caviar combined with anything but a very thin toasted slice of white bread to neutralise the mouth after each spoon. however, some restaurants and airlines offer caviar accompanied by chopped onions or egg yolk. caviar with oyster = extremely disgusting!

I used to eat real caviar just with a mother of pearl spoon ... still got me spoon ...can't afford the caviar anymore

There was a shop a long time ago in Klongtoy that used to buy Beluga etc.. from Russian sailors and sell it at very low prices ... the sailors turned their caviar into Baht and the Baht were spend at the Mosquito bar in Klontoy on .... ehem "oysters" :o the only way caviar and "oysters" do match :D

Naan, instead of the Melba Toast, I found very cold Vodka a very nice pallet neutralizer :-)

p.s. the black olive panade on the salmon would be too robust for my taste with any fish, but works exellent with lamb - at least the salmon isn't overcooked - In my humble opinion, Salmon with Aioli works extremely well or Salmon with Hollandaise but not an Olive Panade

Edited by JohnBKKK

I used to eat real caviar just with a mother of pearl spoon ... still got me spoon ...can't afford the caviar anymore

There was a shop a long time ago in Klongtoy that used to buy Beluga etc.. from Russian sailors and sell it at very low prices ... the sailors turned their caviar into Baht and the Baht were spend at the Mosquito bar in Klontoy on .... ehem "oysters" :o the only way caviar and "oysters" do match :D

Naan, instead of the Melba Toast, I found very cold Vodka a very nice pallet neutralizer :-)

p.s. the black olive panade on the salmon would be too robust for my taste with any fish, but works exellent with lamb - at least the salmon isn't overcooked - In my humble opinion, Salmon with Aioli works extremely well or Salmon with Hollandaise but not an Olive Panade

in olden times (West Africa) russian sailors were my suppliers of caviar and crimean champagne. these days are unfortunately gone. until a few months ago i got my caviar from one of the embassies in Bangkok (can't name the country). but the price has exploded and i have restricted my consumption to a bare minimum once in a blue moon. life sucks when you are poor! :D

Edited by Naam

in olden times (West Africa) russian sailors were my suppliers of caviar and crimean champagne. these days are unfortunately gone. until a few months ago i got my caviar from one of the embassies in Bangkok (can't name the country). but the price has exploded and i have restricted my consumption to a bare minimum once in a blue moon. life sucks when you are poor! :o

Well Naam, don't be too sad about the lack of Caviar in your life, considering I too was eating it by the 4oz cans at a time - having seen a docu on the Caspean Sea, if you would eat that much today, you'd probably glow in the dark thanks to the Russians throwing every possible industrial waste and crap from their not too well designed Nuclear Power plants into it.

Also agree 100% wit your last point lol

Can you get real caviar in Bangkok?

If yes, where?

Robert

siam marine products, or classic fine foods can supply but your looking

asetra/osetra

beluga

sevruga

iranian golden osetra

iranian persicus < gonna pay at least <35,000 per 50 grs for this one>

there pretty good, but mind you lots of the beluga at this point in time is waaay old...

if your serious about buying some go with osetra or the iranian as they are argurably producing the best caviar in the world at this point in time

the beluga is a little too brackish for me, oscetra has a better flavor profile

but whatever you choose your gonna pay a hefty fee especialy here in thailand think 120,000- 250,000 a kg...

americans are producing good transmountanious caviar out of sacramento ca,

also in alabama

one of the most common composed caviar dishes is served on top of a oyster, same with soft boiled egg w creme frache and caviar, blinis ect....

Edited by tb86

I saw a doco somewhere that the Americans are farming sturgeon and have gone into caviar production.

saw only last week a documentary on Deutsche Welle about a German who does that. an expert found out that it was "bred" but acknowledged that it was of excellent quality. cost around 20-25% of iranian or russian caviar.

in olden times (West Africa) russian sailors were my suppliers of caviar and crimean champagne. these days are unfortunately gone. until a few months ago i got my caviar from one of the embassies in Bangkok (can't name the country). but the price has exploded and i have restricted my consumption to a bare minimum once in a blue moon. life sucks when you are poor! :D

In days of yore I'd pay $5 to Russian or Polish sailors in the Bering Sea for large tins of caviar, less for extremely good Polish beer and about a buck for Stollys. Here's my take. White bread is good with practically nothing, but caviar is good with practically everything. Try a caviar omelette with a vodka cream sauce sometime. :D

what happend to the good old day's when sex was safe, Caviar Cheap and you could still go to Koh Samet and swim in the Gulf ? :o

New method's of farming Caviar in france have been developed in which the Sturgeon is not killed but the eggs surgically removed and the fish put back together to live another season - but I still do not see any "cheap" Caviar anywhere and especially not here.

he omelette sounds good, but I still prefere it cold with may be some Melba Toast or even better just with a spoon - matter of personal taste - however, one of my personal favorite is smoked Salmon with hard boiled cold eggs topped with Caviar - oh yes with a nice Chabli to wash it down mmmmmmmm

Edited by JohnBKKK