Samui Info Needed

Jaysen

Help, i need some information regarding Koh Samui.... will be looking at going to koh samui around 8th of april next year.

1) Firstly, any oppinions with regards to a place to stay. i have been looking at a couple in chaweng, but would welcome anyones oppinions. Would like to stay at a nice good quality hotel (3-4 star) with good amenities and offer both rooms and bungalow style accomadation.

2) Also was wondering if prices for food, drinks and shopping etc, vary much when compared to phuket (patong) prices.

Any help with these above questions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance :o

Edited by Jaysen

Hi Jaysen,

Pending on what you're looking for and what kind of budget you have.

In the north, Maenam and Bophud are nice and quiet, in the northeast is Choengmon with the best beach and bay, inbetween is Bang Rak, also nice.

If you want action, shops and nightlife, Chaweng or Lamai (more nightlife oriented) may be your choice.

Sky is the limit, Baan Taaling Ngaam may be an option.

• 2 weeks later...

You do realise Songkran (Thai New Year) starts a week after your arrival....If you don't want to get soaked with buckets of smelly water etc. AVOID!!!! -It's the only week of the year where England had seemed a nicer prospect.....!

If you are thinking of staying in the Lamai area maybe try Lamai wanta,Lamai inn 99,Rocky resort or Marina villa- Feedback from 5 or 6 customer's tell me to avoid the Aloha at all costs - one guy had a list so long American Express instantly refunded him the monent they received it by fax!!!! Good luck...

Help, i need some information regarding Koh Samui.... will be looking at going to koh samui around 8th of april next year.

1) Firstly, any oppinions with regards to a place to stay. i have been looking at a couple in chaweng, but would welcome anyones oppinions. Would like to stay at a nice good quality hotel (3-4 star) with good amenities and offer both rooms and bungalow style accomadation.

2) Also was wondering if prices for food, drinks and shopping etc,  vary much when compared to phuket (patong) prices.

Any help with these above questions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance  :o

Holiday Park in Lamai is superb value - only B300 (about £4) pn for nice clean double room with fan and en-suite, friendly staff too. Its central, only a few minutes walk to Bars and beach. Other than that Bill Resort is nice, B500 (£6.70) for fan bungalow, again clean, nice staff and good restaurant, only downside is its a bit further down the beach.

If you want to stay in Chaweng the prices are a bit more expensive - its an idea to stay in Lamai and get taxis when you fancy a night in Chaweng or better still hire a motorbike (only 150-200pd £2-2.70).

Never been to Phuket myself but my mate has been to both Phuket and Samui and says Phuket is way more expensive.

take a look at the first bungalow at chaweng noi beach. pretty nice resort with lovely bungalow directly or next to teh beach. beautyful beach - not that crowded like chaweng noi beach. and on the other hand next to chaweng city.

greetz

• 3 weeks later...

You do realise Songkran (Thai New Year) starts a week after your arrival....If you don't want to get soaked with buckets of smelly water etc. AVOID!!!! -It's the only week of the year where England had seemed a nicer prospect.....!

Please don't be put off by the above, I've been at 2 Song-Kran and have found nothing but new friends and good times. You will get wet though, just get a water gun and join in.

Malibu Beach resort, Cool rooms Jacuzzi's an stuff, not always hot water. who needs it anyway, your in Thailand.....!!!!! On Chaweng, great position yet still quiet, top pool, friendly staff. Look for the really small Thai waitress with the widest smile in the world.

redrus

Try Beach house Samui Hotel on Big Buddha Beach www.beachhousesamuihotel.com they offer good quality beach bungalows and western style hotel rooms with pool & restaurant excellent service we have stayed many times.

Re Songkran we had a great time last year we drove around the island and ended up at Big John Seafood where a fantastic day continued into the night finish at 4am in the sea.. :o what ever you do don't miss Songkran one piece of advise though if you are on the roads don't drink and assume everyone around you has had lots.

Re. Phuket we have found that the prices are slightly cheaper in Samui.

In Lamai , i can recommomend Lamai Wanta , in the center with bungalows on the seafront and behind that a littlebit smaller bungalows and behind that normal rooms . Great place i found it , and the best price/quality by far in Lamai . As i hear ( i spend 3 months a year in Lamai but never been to Phuket ) from eveerybody , Phuket is way more expensive then Samui and Chaweng is about 10 to 20% more expensive then Lamai .