Change From Retirement Visa To Marriage Visa

In Chaing Mai at immigration for an extension of stay the regulations for retirement visas regarding money are 800,000 bhat in bank,pension or other income verification, or a combination of such adding up to 800,000. If I switch to marriage visa and go for an extension of stay as stated in Chiang Mai immigration brochure it is 400,000 bhat in the bank and verification of 40,000 bhat a month. Which is basically the same yearly amount of money for both. The magazine Citilife has stated that (page 53,Jan edition), and I am quoting from the letter to the editor"the requirment for 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account no longer applies when you seek a 12 month visa based on marriage to a Thai national. What is required is proof of at least 40,000 baht monthly income as verified by the relevant embassy. This is the law as stated in Thai Police Order 606/2549. What is the law? Is there a disrepancy between Thai Police Order 606/2549 and the Chaing Mai Brochure which clearly states 400,000 bhat and 40,000 baht a month income.

The brochure has an error in it and was incorrect before the new police order came out. The police order from 2006 eliminated the 400,000 baht option unless you had gotten extensions before using the 400,000 baht option.

It should say 40,000 baht income or 400,000 baht in the bank not and.

This is what the police order says and it the current and correct rules.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

In Chaing Mai at immigration for an extension of stay the regulations for retirement visas regarding money are 800,000 bhat in bank,pension or other income verification, or a combination of such adding up to 800,000. If I switch to marriage visa and go for an extension of stay as stated in Chiang Mai immigration brochure it is 400,000 bhat in the bank and verification of 40,000 bhat a month. Which is basically the same yearly amount of money for both. The magazine Citilife has stated that (page 53,Jan edition), and I am quoting from the letter to the editor"the requirment for 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account no longer applies when you seek a 12 month visa based on marriage to a Thai national. What is required is proof of at least 40,000 baht monthly income as verified by the relevant embassy. This is the law as stated in Thai Police Order 606/2549. What is the law? Is there a disrepancy between Thai Police Order 606/2549 and the Chaing Mai Brochure which clearly states 400,000 bhat and 40,000 baht a month income.
Duly noted that Thai Police Order has changed to No.777/255l but regarding Mariage visa it is the same as the previous oder.

Duly noted that Thai Police Order has changed to No.777/255l but regarding Mariage visa it is the same as the previous oder.

No. It has changed. And it is not a Marriage Visa. It is an Extension.

The old order and the new order which is 777/255l in regard to the Marriage visa has not been changed. The new order states that 400,000 bhat in bank account OR 40,000 bhat monthly earnings. jSo I suspect that the Chiang Mai Immigration brochure is still wqrong?

This is what the old police order said.

(6) In the case of an alien married to a Thai woman, any party or both must have a total income of not less than Baht 40,000 per month, except for aliens who entered the Kingdom before this Order came into force and granted a permit to stay in the Kingdom. If the alien does not have the minimum income above, he shall have an account deposit in Thailand in the name of either party or both of not less than Baht 400,000. Proof of account deposit for the previous 3 months is required.

It is not the same as the new one.

The order is for an extension not a visa. So I will be changing from a retiremnt visa extension of stay to a marriage visa extension of stay???????

No.

From An Extension of your Temporay Permision to Stay based on Retirement

To An Extension of your Temporary Permision to Stay based on Marriage to a Thai National

alright I give up with the semantics. If I go for an extension of stay and i have a retirement visa but I want to get an extension of stay because I am married to a Thai and have a child with her does the new law state regarding money 400,000 bhat in bank or 40,000 baht monthly income and is that law Police order 777/2551?

I too am on an extension based on retirement--my 5th--and have considered the alternative based on marriage to a Thai national. Not having to keep an additional THB 400,000 locked up in a local bank is a good rationale, but then I have seen what happens to expats whose wife predeceases them...perhaps unexpectedly but then their basis for a visa is null and they must quickly make arrangements to qualify on another basis or leave the Kingdom. The same would hold true as a result of divorce. It seems to me that using the extension based on retirement might be an better alternative, all things considered. I'd be interested in the views of TV experts with experience in this particular issue.

The order is for an extension not a visa. So I will be changing from a retiremnt visa extension of stay to a marriage visa extension of stay???????

No.

From An Extension of your Temporay Permision to Stay based on Retirement

To An Extension of your Temporary Permision to Stay based on Marriage to a Thai National

thankyou

alright I give up with the semantics. If I go for an extension of stay and i have a retirement visa but I want to get an extension of stay because I am married to a Thai and have a child with her does the new law state regarding money 400,000 bhat in bank or 40,000 baht monthly income and is that law Police order 777/2551?

Yes it is.

You will need to take.

Marriage Certificate. Wife's ID Card and House Registration. Photos of you and your Wife in and around your house. Map to your house.(they may pay a visit to check that you live together) Take your Wife to be inteviewed. Plus the other things you already know about as a retiree.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp. Go back in 30 days and get the remaining days stamp.

They may try and talk you into the Retirement Option as it means less work for them.

I too am on an extension based on retirement--my 5th--and have considered the alternative based on marriage to a Thai national. Not having to keep an additional THB 400,000 locked up in a local bank is a good rationale, but then I have seen what happens to expats whose wife predeceases them...perhaps unexpectedly but then their basis for a visa is null and they must quickly make arrangements to qualify on another basis or leave the Kingdom. The same would hold true as a result of divorce. It seems to me that using the extension based on retirement might be an better alternative, all things considered. I'd be interested in the views of TV experts with experience in this particular issue.

very thoughtful of you to bring this up thanks

Your points are valid.

But in either case it does no happen immediatly. There is not a notification process that I know of from the Amphoe (district office) to immigration.

In the case of a divorce unless your ex-wife was to notify immigration you would probably be fine until it came time to get a new extension.

In the other case it would be the same. Because there would be no notification made.

The brochure has an error in it and was incorrect before the new police order came out. The police order from 2006 eliminated the 400,000 baht option unless you had gotten extensions before using the 400,000 baht option.

It should say 40,000 baht income or 400,000 baht in the bank not and.

This is what the police order says and it the current and correct rules.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

the new police order among other things (police order 777/2551 ) says the same thing.

I believe an earlier poster hit it on the head when he mentioned that retaining a retirement visa is easier on the Immigration office; I was immediately talked out of an extension of stay for marriage reasons back in 2004 and now I am beginning to understand why.

After being on a retirement visa for the past 3 years I would agree that it is easier than a marriage visa although I could quiet easily go down that path without any problems. The only drawback I see on a retirement visa is obtaining a work permit if you needed one, otherwise same same except for some extra bht in the bank.

After being on a retirement visa for the past 3 years I would agree that it is easier than a marriage visa although I could quiet easily go down that path without any problems. The only drawback I see on a retirement visa is obtaining a work permit if you needed one, otherwise same same except for some extra bht in the bank.

Can any of the experienced Forum Members explain why it is difficult to change the retirement visa to a visa based on workpermit, in case a job comes up?

I have been on an "Extension to Stay Based on Retirement" for 4 years now. Last August I went to Immigration in Korat with a request to change to an Extension based on Child Support. They were VERY anti processing this as it "Involved too much work" and told me to stay with the Retirement option. They also pointed out that when my child reached the age of 20 years OR got Married, I would HAVE to change my Extension of Stay again, and in 20 years time the "requirements" (money) could well be a lot more for Retirement.

I then suggested changing to the "Married" option, and it was pointed out that in the event of the Death of my Wife, or Divorce, I would also have to change back to Retirement.

The Officer ar Korat put forward a very convincing case for me stay on the Retirement option - which I did, pointing out that I would "probably" be "Grandfathered" in the event of and future changes.

Can any of the experienced Forum Members explain why it is difficult to change the retirement visa to a visa based on workpermit, in case a job comes up?

The problem is getting the work permit first. Most labour offices will not accept a work permit application when the current permit to stay is for retirement.

If you had a job come up you would have to leave and get a another visa in order to get the work permit.

The problem is getting the work permit first. Most labour offices will not accept a work permit application when the current permit to stay is for retirement.

If you had a job come up you would have to leave and get a another visa in order to get the work permit.

So accepting a new job would require a return trip to base country first? No other implications?

So accepting a new job would require a return trip to base country first? No other implications?

You could get a single entry visa from a nearby consulate. It could even be a tourist visa. After the work permit is applied for you could then possibly do a change of visa status at immigration to a non-b at immigration. Or then go out and get a single entry B visa. After either of these with all the correct documents you could then get a 1 year extension based upon employment.

Here is 2.18 in case you cannot download.

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse): Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM); and

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year. In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.