Uk State Pensions For Expats

4.real

You are eligible for the increase for any period you spend back in the UK, There is no waiting period.

Basically you tell them a couple of weeks in advance of your proposed visit advising them of you anticipated arrival and departure dates, and also provide them with an address and telephone number in the UK where they can contact you.

Once back in Thailand, your pension reverts to the original frozen rate.

If you stay in the UK for 6 months then return to Thailand you lock yourself at the new, higher, rate.

Hi again Nick.

Pensions dept tells me that if I return to the uk I can claim the increases WHILE i AM IN THE UK.

The pension will revert back to the rate when I first claimed it on my leaving the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please pause for a moment to consider why the issue of 'Civil Servant' pensions has come to be discussed in the press and by 'concerned politicians'.

It is not simply a case of people thinking, 'oh look at those fat cat Civil Servants' but a campaign by the UK Government to raise public opinion against Civil Servant Pensions with the express objective of giving the Government the excuse of 'Public Support' to break the employment contracts of Civil Servants as they relate to Pensions. It is that old reliable tool of British Politics 'Spite and Envy'.

The reason the UK has such generous Civil Servant Pensions goes back to the days of Samuel Pepys and the measures he put in place to combat corruption - Unlike a person working in the private sector, a Civil Servant caught taking back handers is subject to regulations that allow the removal of all his pension rights. This is a very effective means of keeping Civil Servants in line in the latter part of their career, it is only late career Civil Servants who are given control over the large sums of money and contracts - hence they follow the rules lest they loose their pensions.

Keep in mind too that the certainty of a good pension has also always been used as a tool of pay restraint in the Public Sector.

That aside, fair State Pensions have nothing to do with Civil Service Pensions - There is no need to meddle with the latter to fix the former.

Though as I argue, the Government would love you to get confused over this matter.

Excellent post

Some time back I read a thread regarding the uk state pension. I understand that anyone living in Thailand would not qualify for any yearly increases.

The case ,I believe ,was heard and lost in the european courts.

Is there any appeal ongoing and how can I get more information regarding this case?

Thanks in advance.4.Real

Hi All, Here is link to the Goverments own website where you can make electronic petitions, this one is to give expat pensioners the same increase in state pension as those living in the UK.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/pension-robbery/

Please sign up and pass the word to anyone you might know, in any country, any age who might/has retired overseas. Also try friends and family who might support our cause :)

Regards David

That petition is now closed ( 1 July)

But on ecan write to one's MP, which i have just done.

• 5 weeks later...

This topic seems to have been quiet for some time now,

News that does not seem to have been mentioned is that a further appeal is to be heard by the Court of Human Rights next week on 2nd September. Whether they will actually make a decision on that date I do not know. And even if they decide against the UK government, I believe the government do not have to abide by the ruling, although the pressure to do so will increase substantially.

Below a few points of confirmation.

1) If you live in Thailand "permanently" the pension is frozen from the day you first receive it, Normally 65, but could be later if you defer. Permanently normally means that you are outside the UK for more than 6 months of any year.

2) If you give false answers on the pension claim form as to where you reside, more than likely, over time, they will find out. DON'T DO IT

3) If you have a Thai wife or indeed permanent partner (may need to be a registered partnership) and he/she does not work, you can claim a dependents allowance for them worth currently up to £57 a week (this depends on your contribution record). This allowance will cease to be claimable after 5th April next year, but for those already receiving it, it will continue to be paid untill 5th April 2020 It is not necessary to have children to claim this allowance, and in fact children alone are not eligible.

4) During any visits to the UK (or I believe any country where the pension is not frozen) you are entitled to receive current unfrozen pension for the duration of the visit. Upon return to Thailand, the pension reverts to the previous frozen one.

5) Widows pension has basically ceased. Upon death, your widow will receive up to 1 years basic pension, then no more until she can claim in her own right at age 65+. If there are young children, then she will receive a widowed mothers allowance of max £95 a week until the youngest child is 16 (or in some circumstances 19). In addition a death grant of £2000 is usually payable.

Some time back I read a thread regarding the uk state pension. I understand that anyone living in Thailand would not qualify for any yearly increases.

The case ,I believe ,was heard and lost in the european courts.

Is there any appeal ongoing and how can I get more information regarding this case?

Thanks in advance.4.Real

Just search for the story on thaivisa. Previously the case was lost in the House of Lords and apparently the ruling will never be changed. When living abroad, your pension remains the same as the day you left the UK and NEVER increases.

Sure thing, i left UK in '73 and now am getting around GPB19.50 per week. Big deal, served 7 yrs in RN plus 2.5 years boys time.

However the Aussie govt makes it up to something reasonable although in my opinion , they shoud'nt have to.

Grrrrrrrr bloody pommie govt., i should try to come back as an illegal !

Just search for the story on thaivisa. Previously the case was lost in the House of Lords and apparently the ruling will never be changed. When living abroad, your pension remains the same as the day you left the UK and NEVER increases.

Hi

I think you are right, it is UNLIKELY to change with the amount of tax fraud in the UK and a decreasing workforce paying into 'the club'

I believe Civil Servants don't have their pensions frozen even when they are expats, as they are seen as have helped the community during their working career :D . A teacher appealed to be treated the same as them and won some years ago.

:)

Dave(disgruntled future UK pensioner)

Whereas those of us who paid tax, or created businesses and new jobs by finding & satisfying previously-unmet needs or wants, have of course done nothing to improve or help the country through our efforts.

Such an incentive, don't you think, to risk your wealth & previous livelihood, by having a go & starting-up something new. Your reward is, to pay for the index-linked pensions, of former government-employees, wherever they may live. :D

On a point of accuracy, there are many countries abroad, where your pension does continue to increase as normal. But Thailand isn't one of them. So we're really being punished, for being so very unpatriotic, as to go and live in a country which isn't on their little list. So much for fairness or equal-treatment ! :D

But at least they didn't build a wall, to keep us in, and prevent our leaving ! :D

Ricardo (another miffed future UK pensioner) :D

Well i did 9.5 yrs in RN including last 6 mths of Korean war, did'nt come across any civil servants in my "forward observation unit" . Pension frozen when i left UK in 73 just about buys me 1 doz VB stubbies WOW! thanks Gt Britain.