Miguels

Greenside

I'm assuming this is a new branch about to open on my doorstep in Nong Hoi and not someone who hasn't done their homework since I'd not heard any rumours of their impending expansion. I haven't yet plucked up baht to visit the Test of Taxes with it's faux cowboy staff but having some Mexican(ish) fare around the corner would be very welcome!

453597299_D6wwM-L.jpg

Nong Hoi!! Great location, I just wonder why almost nobody else has thought of it. Oh, on second thought I do recall one or two restaurants in that area in the past 20 years.

Look, don't be mean about Nong Hoi. We've got the 5 games for 100bht UFO Bowl, the Adventure Hotel, a branch of Top Chareon Optical and.....and a 7/11. What more could you ask for?

Edited by Greenside

Nong Hoi's even got a mini Tesco next to it, don't forget Greenside. And the reincarnation of Yamato Sushi buffet that seems to be quite viable thanks to a loyal Thai following. We'll see how a Miguels does out there, but the dist from town is so little that it just might take off too.

@greenside

where in Nong Hoi is it? Since I live in Nong Hoi ("A Home In Town"), too. It would be great to have a nice place to eat, without having to travel into downtown Chiang Mai.

By the way I tried the "Taste of Texas" a couple of times, since it's located in a walking distance, but I can't recommend it. Not very tasty and no good value for the money.

No idea. I just saw the banner across the road - it's only readable as you come from town so I'd guess Plaza 89 although up near Riverside would capture more farang. I suspect the Holiday Inn guests don't venture out on foot much but just leap in a tuk-tuk and head for tourist spots.

Plaza 89 is nice, but absolutely not walking distance from the Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn is near Nong Hoi market. Plaza 89 is quite a bit south of Nong Hong intersection. (Intersection with Aom Muang ring road).

Needless to say, it won't work in that location unless you can appeal to a reliable Thai lunch crowd, which is VERY hard.

I don't think Plaza 89 is such a bad location. First it got ample parking space, und it's right on the busy Chiang Mai - Lamphoon Road. There is a lot of Moo Bans on both sides of this road with a lot of farangs living there. I'm sure quite a lot will be happy to have a nice restaurant nearby, without having to drive into town.

Nong Hoi!! Great location, I just wonder why almost nobody else has thought of it. Oh, on second thought I do recall one or two restaurants in that area in the past 20 years.

Look, don't be mean about Nong Hoi. We've got the 5 games for 100bht UFO Bowl, the Adventure Hotel, a branch of Top Chareon Optical and.....and a 7/11. What more could you ask for?

I wish you, some great posts, and Miguel's, one of my favorites, all the best in Nong Hoi. It was a great place before 7/11 and I will soon visit for an adventure at the Hotel and then a feast at Miguel's. Thanks for your update on the highlights.

A few minutes ago I've seen the place, where the new Miguel will be. It's ideed at Plaza 89, but not the side where Tesco Express and 7/11 are located. It's at the opposite side of the road next to the bike shop there. And as the banner said, it will not be just a restaurant but a bar as well with a pool table.

They already can count me in as a regular customer. :o

A few minutes ago I've seen the place, where the new Miguel will be. It's ideed at Plaza 89, but not the side where Tesco Express and 7/11 are located. It's at the opposite side of the road next to the bike shop there. And as the banner said, it will not be just a restaurant but a bar as well with a pool table.

I just saw it too and they've got what looks like the best location on the strip. Easy parking and the market next door for three evenings a week so as long as the food is up to scratch and at least a section of the menu has prices that are appropriate for what must be predominantly a Thai customer base it should do well.

I too will will be a regular if someone can find me a nice house to rent in the nong hoi area from the 1st april !!!

I will be in Chaing mai from the 22 Jan for a week if anyone has any ideas.

Edited by melvinrio

• 1 month later...

Well it's been some time since that banner went up but it looks like the new place is going to open tomorrow, with a proper launch do in a week or two when they've got themselves bedded in or so I'm told. It's been really nicely fitted out and looks great - if the food is on target it will be a good addition to the neighbourhood.

481685755_BpLK9-S.jpg

I snapped this as they were doing their final preparations this evening. You can't really see the desert cacti out in front in this picture but it really stands out in sleepy Nong Hoi!

Greensides... how did you get that sky like that ? Did you doctor it and are you caught or did I miss something in the orange haze sunset this last evening ?

And btw... the whole thing about 89 Plaza planning is that one whole side is supposed to be shopping and the other side for food. The coming of Yamashiro to the back behind Sevvy breaks the rule but it's an odd sort of arrangement as I see they've now expanded to the other side as well over where the BBQ place is too. Go figure.

I'm betting Miguels will do a good business there and start to lure in and school the Thais on what CA-Mex food is all about.

I'm assuming this is a new branch about to open on my doorstep in Nong Hoi and not someone who hasn't done their homework since I'd not heard any rumours of their impending expansion. I haven't yet plucked up baht to visit the Test of Taxes with it's faux cowboy staff but having some Mexican(ish) fare around the corner would be very welcome!

453597299_D6wwM-L.jpg

Couldn't agree more, the owners obviously got big balls or there's a shrewd franchisor involved. Funny area really, just too far for Holiday Inners and I suspect they wouldn't find the area anyway. Pizzamania closed that 89 branch just a few months ago and opened up on Mahidon in front of Montfords. WHY?

(Yamoto does a great lunch for 190 or so baht, excellent value for a Japanese blowout, last orders at 1.30pm though, get there early!)

If Miguels have got a decent chef and really know how to run a restaurant/bar with prices/ service and quality which will attract local expats and can convert open-minded Thais to the taste of Mexico (they'll need Thai management for that) then there's a chance of the place being successful.

Quite a difficult job ahead, I'd say but let's hope they get it right cos us suburbanites could all do with a decent eaterie.

Buona fortuna

Bojo

Been to the Nong Hoi area many times even Yesterday, still have no clue where the new branch is.  :o

Well it's been some time since that banner went up but it looks like the new place is going to open tomorrow, with a proper launch do in a week or two when they've got themselves bedded in or so I'm told. It's been really nicely fitted out and looks great - if the food is on target it will be a good addition to the neighbourhood.

481685755_BpLK9-S.jpg

I snapped this as they were doing their final preparations this evening. You can't really see the desert cacti out in front in this picture but it really stands out in sleepy Nong Hoi!

Been to the Nong Hoi area many times even Yesterday, still have no clue where the new branch is. :o

481685755_BpLK9-S.jpg

head South on the Lampun Road coming from the Nonghoi Intersection with Mahidon Road and it's about 700 metres or so on the right hand side just set back from the road a little set in the 89 plaza

regards

Greensides... how did you get that sky like that ? Did you doctor it and are you caught or did I miss something in the orange haze sunset this last evening ?

And btw... the whole thing about 89 Plaza planning is that one whole side is supposed to be shopping and the other side for food. The coming of Yamashiro to the back behind Sevvy breaks the rule but it's an odd sort of arrangement as I see they've now expanded to the other side as well over where the BBQ place is too. Go figure.

I'm betting Miguels will do a good business there and start to lure in and school the Thais on what CA-Mex food is all about.

This miserable air quality is only good one one thing and that's photographs of sunsets but yesterday's wasn't quite up to scratch so I dropped one in from my "Hotel California" collection to go with the neon and the cactus. I confess 'guv...

Plaza 89 had some kind of farang food outfit where Yamoto is now trading so their policy seems pretty flexible. The Japanese buffet is now 299 at both lunch and evening sittings so I'm told - the 199 was an opening promotional price. Good food though, I tried some last night and we'll give Miguels a go this evening.

New branch looks great.  We were there this evening.  Parking space make the place looks really nice.  Food was good as ever.

Been to the Nong Hoi area many times even Yesterday, still have no clue where the new branch is. :o

481685755_BpLK9-S.jpg

head South on the Lampun Road coming from the Nonghoi Intersection with Mahidon Road and it's about 700 metres or so on the right hand side just set back from the road a little set in the 89 plaza

regards

• 4 weeks later...

Just received a flyer in my mailbox announcing the opening of its new location.

Says:

Grand Opening

Sat. 25 April

Starts 6 PM

Food, Drink, Party & Surprises

Open daily, 11 AM - Midnight

Nong Hoi at Chiang Mai 89 Plaza