Sending Money To Thailand

Wire trasnsfer is the best unless you are just sending a small amount or it's an emergency. From Canada a wire transfer takes about 3 business days but Western Union is immediate. For us the break even on the cost is about $250Canadian. If it is under that we use WU over we use bank transfer.

The Thai Banks give very good exchange rates in every currancy, WU is not as good,.

Wire trasnsfer is the best unless you are just sending a small amount or it's an emergency.  From Canada a wire transfer takes about 3 business days  but Western Union is immediate.  For us the break even on the cost is about $250Canadian.  If it is under that we use WU over we use bank transfer.

The Thai Banks give very good exchange rates in every currancy, WU is not as good,.

Hi,

I used Western Union sometimes, because it is fast (a few minutes), but very expensive. I also send it by the Halifax, which takes a few days and is cheaper.

But why don't you open a second bankacount and get a Debits cards (Meastro), just send this card to Thailand and in Thailand you can go to the ATM to get money.

I have a few bankaccounts and my Thai wife also (UK, 2x Belgium). I don't have debit cards of her account, but can logon through the internet.

Regards,

Xinc

I do the debit card deal too. I was wiring money from Canada at $30 per transfer, regardless of the amount sent. That's about 900 baht wasted on bank fees each time we send money to Mom. So we got a seperate joint account with two ATM cards. We sent one over and they can go to any ATM. The bank costs are now $3.50 each withdrawl, that's the PLUS fee for the ATM company. That's only 100 baht.

You can buy a lot of food in Mugdahan for 800 baht.

Cheers,

Tony

Western Union cost me AUD$ 35.....my bank wanted the same but it takes 3 days as aginst WU being immediate, the bank also wanted $20 to prevent the Thai bank taking fees from the money.....what a ripoff !!!!!

So here WU is not so expensive....

Western Union is expensive, but quick and easy.

British Bank-Thai Bank takes four days if you are lucky, however I have had delays and that can be very frustrating.

My bank charges me 13 British Pounds, Western Union charges 22 British Pounds.

Wilson Steer.

I've transferrd money from Halifax to Bangkok Bank, cleared in 24hrs!!!!!

I was expecting 4 - 5 days.

• 2 weeks later...
Western Union cost me AUD$ 35.....my bank wanted the same but it takes 3 days as aginst WU being immediate, the bank also wanted $20 to prevent the Thai bank taking fees from the money.....what a ripoff !!!!!

So here WU is not so expensive....

Western Union makes most of their commission by giving you a very poor exchange rate. Once you account for this, I think you will find WU is the more costly of the two by far.