Bringing A Young Baby To Thailand For A Month

ady

Hello all!

Me and my wife are planning to spend March this year on Ko Pha Ngan, somewhere we have visited many years in a row from the UK, usually over the Christmas and New Year period. This year, we are running late as we are lucky enough to have had a little boy, Alfie, in the Autumn, and have had to wait for him to be ready to travel on holiday with us.

We plan to stay, as usual, in a beach bungalow with no electrical appliances other than a fan and light (no fridge/kettle/microwave etc). Through our experience, we know what we need to bring for us adults and what we can get in Thailand (clothing, toiletries, travel gadgets etc). Does anyone have any ideas as to what baby stuff we should make sure we bring from the UK, and what we can get in Thailand to keep our man right (we will stop over in Bangers for a couple of nights at either end of the trip, and can shop for items there).

I saw the suggestion of a pop-up cot with Mossie Net in one thread, and we might get that before we leave home, as it would also be useful on our summer camping sorties in the UK, but any other advice to proud new parents who will need to feed and keep clean the little man and ensure his health would be gladly received before we get on the plane.

I hope we can benefit from some of the collective thaivisa wisdom in the next 6 weeks.....

:o

Hi and congratulations on your son.

I can only go from what we did, but i am sure some people will be along with heaps of advice.

Like yourselves we had travelled lots before becoming parents and decided quite soon after having our son that we would return to Thailand as we both felt happy to take him there.

Our son was 8 months old at the time we went back for month.

Is your son breastfed? This will make things easier, our son was not by that point and we got some bags to sterolise the bottles in from boots. It held about 6 bottles and we had no problems. Whilst medicine is available in Thailand i would take some Calpol and teething medicine from home just so you have it at hand. Try to make sure that he is either having a bottle or dummy on takeoff and landing as it helps their ears not to hurt . Also ask for a bassinette on the plane as soon as possible, it makes the flight much easier.

Obviously i would say the usual, lightweight long sleaved items to protect from bites and also all in one sun protection suites and a good hat.

The worst thing we came across with our son was suncream and sand, he decided he hated both and especially together!!!

The sunsticks are great for putting on the face without getting it in their eyes. We have taken our little one back 3 times now and are heading over for a month in April and cant wait. The thai people are amazing and love babies, many nights the waiter or waitress would be entertaining our son whilst we ate in peace.

Oh yeah last piece of advice, do not take heaps as you know you can get it all out there and getting around with baby, buggy, suitcases, backpacks etc is a blumming nightmare. I still have nightmares about getting on the ferry, down steps, across a gap of water trying to carry it all, needless to say we travel lighter now.

Bring a lightweight buggy but one that lays flat as it will be a great help when you are out as your son can sleep without being propped up. We brought a mclaren techno classic & it was wonderful. Lightweight, easy & quick to fold with one hand & laid flat. I bought a cat net which stopped mossies & also a Shade a babe. Vital if you are out a lot as it is a UV barrier, your child can see out but it stops them getting too much sun in their eyes & total UV protection. Also good for when out at night as you can just pull it down & baby is in a nice dark space to sleep.

Lightweight baby vests, or short sleeve short style romper suits were best for my son. no waist bands to irritate him & easy to clean & dry. he slept exclusivly in sleeveless, legless popper vests. (our first trip over he was 11 weeks & 2nd trip when 10 months) & all the other clothes I brought except for a light sweat short to put over him when out at night stayed in the bag so pack light on clothes.

The samsonite popup bubble was a life saver for sleeping in. Totally safe & comfy for baby & also folds up in to a thin carry bag. Def look into getting one.

Cold water sterilser bags are great, can get them from boots & they last for 24hrs. Can be hung from the back of bathroom door & come with their own sterliser tablets included. You can buy sterilising fluid & bottle brush/washing up liquid at 7-11 to clean the bottles & tbh I would bring a travel kettle as you will need to boil fresh water for him if he is bottle fed or to heat up food if he is fed from jars.

I always carried a thermos of fresh boiled water to make up feeds & is handy as you only really need to boil up once a day & the thermos keeps the water clean & warm to make feeds.

Bring rusks as they are not easy to find outside of large supermarkets & other favoured snacks to prevent getting caught short when out (if he is weaning at this point) & also bring plenty of insect repellant & sun lotion that is safe for kids. I found the roll on stuff worked best as spray was too messy as was the cream. (boots stock a good range)

We took our 8 month old son with us to see my wifes family back in feb 2008. We also took one of those Samsonite pop up travel systems with the zip up mosquito net. I think the pop up is a fantastic device but my son didn't.Our first port of call was an overnight stay in Bangkok in a non air conditioned room.He was crying all the time when we put him in it and could'nt settle at all.We put a fan directly on the cot to try and cool him,but the netting prevented the air from cooling him.We were very concerned about his constant crying during the night and thought it best to take him to hospital.After seeing a doctor he told us that he was too warm and couldn't cope with the temperature. So from then on we stayed in air conditioned hotels and had no further problems with him. He did actually stop crying when we got in the taxi to the hospital and whilst we was in the hospital.

Good point about the lack of aircon macduff, my son seemed to manage ok without a/c as long as a fan was directly on him when he was asleep in the bubble but I don't know how he would have coped if it was very hot & there was not an individual fan to place directly on him. Maybe something for the op to think about & request a free standing fan for their room.

Here is a photo of him in the bubble :D

And another one of my mother in law carrying him in the other essential item we had, a baby bjorn carrier. Forgot to mention that in my first post. :o

post-1041-1231927926_thumb.jpg

post-1041-1231927959_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Good point about the lack of aircon macduff, my son seemed to manage ok without a/c as long as a fan was directly on him when he was asleep in the bubble but I don't know how he would have coped if it was very hot & there was not an individual fan to place directly on him. Maybe something for the op to think about & request a free standing fan for their room.

Here is a photo of him in the bubble :D

And another one of my mother in law carrying him in the other essential item we had, a baby bjorn carrier. Forgot to mention that in my first post. :o

One thing I've always wondered about those baby carriers? What happens when you are walking along the street and you trip and fall flat on your stomach, just a thought?

I never tripped or fell wearing the baby carrier so have no idea. IMO unless you are always falling over generally or are a clumsy person, I can't see a problem, they don't restrict your arms or vision so can't see why you would fall over. I presume instinct would kick in & you would break the fall with your hands or turn to the side or back when falling but as they sell these things (and similar, slings etc) by the millions the manufactorures most likely assume the parents can take care of their babies & not fall flat on them whilst wearing them? :o

Hope you're getting a bassinet on the plane - it's a long way with a lap monkey!

Another vote for the lightweight stroller (nothing fancy), although aside from airports I'd say it's more for sleeping in at restaurants than pushing around in - so if you have one that reclines, brilliant.

Oh, and remember that at the airports you can keep using the stroller right up till boarding.

On the heat thing, something I've seen here but didn't try are those cool pads you put on kids' foreheads. I think they're a Japanese thing. They have them in all the BKK department stores. Might help if baba gets overheated.

Bonjela? Don't think we could find it here. Magic stuff.

Gripe water is easy to find in BKK for sure.

Have you stopped to consider the misery you'll inflict on your fellow passengers? Not to mention the traumatic experience you are about to put your son through? A long haul flight is no place for a young child & come to mention it, neither is a beach bungalow on Kho Pha Ngan.

Perhaps you should read this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Kids-long-Ha...ng+haul+flights

I will make no further comment.

Thanks to all for the responses to date, we have been reading them avidly.

Tickets just booked today, we leave on the night of 1st March, my out of office will say "Back April Fools Day", looking forward to some quality time with the family, move that clock round another week will you...

Lisaloo - you got it right - I have this image of us in the morning sun, all white and unacclimatised from the UK winter, me trying to haul 2 backpacks and all the baby gear on the rickety pier to the 11:00 Lomprayah, whilst worrying about the wife and baby, and I doubt I'll be smiling through the sweat. So we are going to have to travel light as we can...

Boo - thanks for the advice, I had put you down for a few good tips when I made the OP. We got the baby bjorn and a McLaren already, will get a pop-up cot and the pharmacy items you advise. Your mum-in-law looks pretty happy with the technology she's wearing!

Macduff - overheating is something his Dad is prone to, especially on day one in country, so I worry a little for the boy. We can get aircon accommodation if we need it where we stay, so that's plan B, but it's better for me personally to avoid the hot/cold/hot change that aircon can bring. This is one example of how having the little man is going to bring change to the big man's current routine - he'll get first pick in any conflict, with Mrs Ady firmly on the side of little, not large, too!

Polecat - I'll have to call him a lap monkey from now on, that'll bring a new smile to his little face - we hope we can get the bassinet, I'm trying to confirm with the airline just now.

Does anyone have views on kit needed for swimming (I've read the babies age for swimming thread, btw) - do we need to get any swim nappies in the UK - if our 5 month old man goes in a resort pool, we need to leave it fit for others to swim in after! He's got some neat trunks already, and it's less of an issue when he goes in the sea, but it's an area we are not clued-up on.

All the vibes we get from friends, other bloggers and our health professionals are that this trip is a great thing to do with a young 'un. And since a common bond in Mr & Mrs Ady's lives has always been travelling, that's what we want to try to do with our little man too, until he needs schooling, at least. So far funnily enough, the only dissenting to our plan has been from the owner of the local bar we frequent. And I think that could be related to the credit crunch, since he usually can put me down for a fair slice of the action each week (although much less so since I became a Dad), and he'll be getting a postcard from some beach Reggae Bar instead of a month's worth of beer tokens from me in March!

Oh, and in the time it took me to write the above paragraph about a lack of dissent, Mr Seymour posted. I have read some of the thread you link to, and surely it is in that thread where that debate should continue. In this thread, I am soliciting advice based on others experience relating to what we plan to do, not commentary on the merits or otherwise of our intentions.

We pack in 4 weeks, so plenty of time if anyone wants to add further to the wisdom pile. Thanks again, Ady & Co! :o

reason for edit: font size too big, 1st time out....

Edited by ady

Good for you, it looks like you're going to have a great time.

We used special baby trunks from Mothercare for our lad from the age of 3 months. Nice, elasticated legs and waistband - ain't nothing getting out of there! For God's sake don't go in the pool in regular nappies - they expand and explode, apparently. Bits of gel floating around - and whatever else.

We also got him one of these

31FriE-U7yL__SX315_SY375_.jpg

which he quickly got used to and still uses a year later.

I have one of those swim ring/floats too but my little man is too big for it now so if you want it, pm me & I'll stick it in the post for you (I am UK)

I got him special swimming trunks like board shorts from Mothercare & also a pair of baby speedos (baby boys are the only males who can get away with speedos imo :o ) from mc too. Thought about one of those all in one surf suits but at that young age they can't spend that much time in the sun or water anyway so didn't bother & glad I didn't cause it would not have been used, just made sure we had a sun umbrella & kept him in hte shade on the beach.

If you plan on spending a lot of time on the beach then one of those poncho towels will be good to cover him up & soak up sweat & sin protection too.

My son was in the pool at Smile House in Bohput at 3 months old, he loved it but we limited the time to a couple of minutes each time due to sun exposure & so as not to get him over tired or mess with his body temp too much.

Thanks to all for the responses to date, we have been reading them avidly.

Tickets just booked today, we leave on the night of 1st March, my out of office will say "Back April Fools Day", looking forward to some quality time with the family, move that clock round another week will you...

Lisaloo - you got it right - I have this image of us in the morning sun, all white and unacclimatised from the UK winter, me trying to haul 2 backpacks and all the baby gear on the rickety pier to the 11:00 Lomprayah, whilst worrying about the wife and baby, and I doubt I'll be smiling through the sweat. So we are going to have to travel light as we can...

Boo - thanks for the advice, I had put you down for a few good tips when I made the OP. We got the baby bjorn and a McLaren already, will get a pop-up cot and the pharmacy items you advise. Your mum-in-law looks pretty happy with the technology she's wearing!

Macduff - overheating is something his Dad is prone to, especially on day one in country, so I worry a little for the boy. We can get aircon accommodation if we need it where we stay, so that's plan B, but it's better for me personally to avoid the hot/cold/hot change that aircon can bring. This is one example of how having the little man is going to bring change to the big man's current routine - he'll get first pick in any conflict, with Mrs Ady firmly on the side of little, not large, too!

Polecat - I'll have to call him a lap monkey from now on, that'll bring a new smile to his little face - we hope we can get the bassinet, I'm trying to confirm with the airline just now.

Does anyone have views on kit needed for swimming (I've read the babies age for swimming thread, btw) - do we need to get any swim nappies in the UK - if our 5 month old man goes in a resort pool, we need to leave it fit for others to swim in after! He's got some neat trunks already, and it's less of an issue when he goes in the sea, but it's an area we are not clued-up on.

All the vibes we get from friends, other bloggers and our health professionals are that this trip is a great thing to do with a young 'un. And since a common bond in Mr & Mrs Ady's lives has always been travelling, that's what we want to try to do with our little man too, until he needs schooling, at least. So far funnily enough, the only dissenting to our plan has been from the owner of the local bar we frequent. And I think that could be related to the credit crunch, since he usually can put me down for a fair slice of the action each week (although much less so since I became a Dad), and he'll be getting a postcard from some beach Reggae Bar instead of a month's worth of beer tokens from me in March!

Oh, and in the time it took me to write the above paragraph about a lack of dissent, Mr Seymour posted. I have read some of the thread you link to, and surely it is in that thread where that debate should continue. In this thread, I am soliciting advice based on others experience relating to what we plan to do, not commentary on the merits or otherwise of our intentions.

We pack in 4 weeks, so plenty of time if anyone wants to add further to the wisdom pile. Thanks again, Ady & Co! :o

reason for edit: font size too big, 1st time out....

Hi Ady, hope you have a great time and don't worry about the little one, kids adapt so easily, the best advice I got before we took our 5 month old to Thailand was to make sure he had a bottle with water in it to drink when taking off and landing for his ears, worked a treat.

We booked with Etihad and we were given the bulkhead seats with the travel cot automaticly, it's a first come first served basis, not sure who you have booked with but most airlines are helpful, especialy on long haul flights, anyways have a good holiday and I'm sure your wee one will have a blast.

Brigante7.

• 3 weeks later...

Boo - thanks for the offer of a swimming ring, we have one already from a friend so I'll not take you up on your kind offer.

According to plan my trip dot com, we have bulkhead seats, so that's sorted, thanks for the tip on getting that booked.

I've been watching the reports of local weather where we're going, and the temparatures look favourable compared to what we've been getting in the smoke in February!

We're all set now, thanks for all your advice, I'll let you know how we got on in April.....

Chok Di Kap

Ady

:o