Will My 115v 60hz Led Clock Keep Accurate Time In Bkk?

ya5702

My LED bedside clock runs on 115V 60 Hz. If I use a 230V/115V transformer in BKK, will the clock keep accurate time since it is 50Hz there? Thanks for your help.

Does it really matter that much, when you get here, you will be on Thai time anyway.... :o ...a second or two inaccuracy will not make a great deal of difference..

Edited by Soutpeel

It will be alright as the intervals are taken from a quartz - not the AC frequency.

Not necessarily true, many (particularly older /cheaper) clocks use the mains frequency to keep time.

The only way to be sure is to have the lid off and see which device is used for time keeping, many of the mains sync'd chips have a 50Hz / 60Hz link that you can fit to fix the timekeeping.

It will be alright as the intervals are taken from a quartz - not the AC frequency.

Not necessarily true, many (particularly older /cheaper) clocks use the mains frequency to keep time.

The only way to be sure is to have the lid off and see which device is used for time keeping, many of the mains sync'd chips have a 50Hz / 60Hz link that you can fit to fix the timekeeping.

Thanks Crossy for your response.

How does one "fit" to fix the timekeeping? By flipping a switch in the clock, or actually fitting a part to compensate for the freqency change?

Also, is it correct to assume that a 60 Hz clock will run slower with a 50 Hz power source? (1/6 times slower?)

How does one "fit" to fix the timekeeping? By flipping a switch in the clock, or actually fitting a part to compensate for the freqency change?

Also, is it correct to assume that a 60 Hz clock will run slower with a 50 Hz power source? (1/6 times slower?)

OK, firstly yes, if it is a mains sync'd clock it will run at 5/6 speed on 50Hz.

The only way to answer your questions it to have the lid off and take a photo of the works, try to get the part numbers of any devices in the photo. We'll should be able to tell if it's quartz or mains sync from the photos.

Depending upon the chips used and where the clock was made (China maybe) there could be a wire link that you can fit / cut to change from 60 to 50Hz. If you're really lucky the link will be marked as such :o

Time to get out the camera and screwdriver :D

OK, firstly yes, if it is a mains sync'd clock it will run at 5/6 speed on 50Hz.

The only way to answer your questions it to have the lid off and take a photo of the works, try to get the part numbers of any devices in the photo. We'll should be able to tell if it's quartz or mains sync from the photos.

Depending upon the chips used and where the clock was made (China maybe) there could be a wire link that you can fit / cut to change from 60 to 50Hz. If you're really lucky the link will be marked as such :D

Time to get out the camera and screwdriver :D

A much easier solution would be to learn how to chant a few magic spells that freeze time - namely "mai pen rai", "rot tit" and "kothod krap". :o

What about throwing the American one in the bin and buying one designed to run on Thai voltage etc. Just a thought :D

An engineer (me) would never dream of doing something so simple and logical. I'm one of those people who can't wait to get the lid off a new piece of technology 'just out of interest' :o Besides if the conversion is simply adding / removing a wire link, or if none is necessary 'coz it's quartz then money is saved.

'Spose a lot depends upon how attached our OP is to his clock (that's C L O C K).

Edited by Crossy

What about throwing the American one in the bin and buying one designed to run on Thai voltage etc. Just a thought :D

An engineer (me) would never dream of doing something so simple and logical. I'm one of those people who can't wait to get the lid off a new piece of technology 'just out of interest' :o Besides if the conversion is simply adding / removing a wire link, or if none is necessary 'coz it's quartz then money is saved.

'Spose a lot depends upon how attached our OP is to his clock (that's C L O C K).

Thanks again Crossy for your advice. Like you, I too have a curious mind about "How things work".

The simpler way is for me to run the LED clock (with a transformer) in BKK to see if it keeps accurate time, before I get out the screwdriver and camera. If it does not, I will decide what's next.

Btw, my other CLOCK is still attached to me when I last looked. That works fine anywhere in the world...50Hz/60Hz notwithstanding!