Smartass American Officials - Get Real!

onethailand

Want to try estimating the costs of the mobilization of a carrier group etc in addition to this?

Carrier task force?? Are they planning an invasion?

I dare say this face saving measure is all in response to being called on the carpet for the puny initial contribution. It needn't have taken 5 days for the "American assessment teams on the ground" to realize the extent of devastation.

Obviously it's way beyond your scope of dislike for us.

Frankly it's no loss. But tell ya what? Next time you have the privilege of meeting an American, go ahead and tell him all about how you "feel" to his face.

Don't worry, the end result won't be what you think.

If it's a typical American, he'll probably just laugh at you.

As people like you really are pathetic and laughable.

Mr Vietnam :o

Mr. Vietnam, you are making a fool of yourself by stereotyping and pidgeonholing others.

Countries often have "the best government money can buy", but go and talk to the people and they'll tell you that they often choose between the lessers of two selections in voting.

In my experience, the best people will be found in the Red Cross and Red Crescent society, private NGOs like CARE, the Peace Corps (who are often passed over for beltway bandits...), and the like.

Having worked for charitable organizations, it's striking that the largest *numbers* of donors have been people at the middle and lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum (though the largest donations by a select few sometimes dwarf others).

Anyway, it is easier to criticize others than to come up with a creative solution yourself.

I suggest you become part of the solution, like ThaiVisa.com , the many people here posting useful information, OneThailand.com , and others you can see on the web.

The difference is a spirit of love & working together vs. a spirit of hate and the politics of division. Suggested New Years Resolution.

Edited by expat-global

Mr. Vietnam, you are making a fool of yourself by stereotyping and pidgeonholing others. 

Countries often have "the best government money can buy", but go and talk to the people and they'll tell you that they often choose between the lessers of two selections in voting.

In my experience, the best people will be found in the Red Cross and Red Crescent society, private NGOs like CARE, the Peace Corps (who are often passed over for beltway bandits...), and the like.

Having worked for charitable organizations, it's striking that the largest *numbers* of donors have been people at the middle and lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum (though the largest donations by a select few sometimes dwarf others).

Anyway, it is easier to criticize others than to come up with a creative solution yourself.

I suggest you become part of the solution, like ThaiVisa.com , the many people here posting useful information, OneThailand.com , and others you can see on the web.

The difference is a spirit of love & working together vs. a spirit of hate and the politics of division.  Suggested New Years Resolution.

Hahahaha, spirit of love and working together after attacking me personally and attacking America?

Don't make me laugh.

Mr Vietnam

Totally agree with you Mr.Vietnam, I have been totally disgusted and ashamed at the americans attitude in response to this horrific disaster, unfortunately I am more conservative with my comments, but my feelings are the same.

It seems to me that their latest input of $350 million is a face saving measure and puts them in a position whearas they now have control of all aid efforts.

But as history tells us the americans are always late arriving WWI & WWII .....It makes everyone else feel more grateful in the end......LOL

Sad part is that they do have the best resources in the world and if they used them effectively and timely..... many more lives would be saved.

Totally agree with you Mr.Vietnam, I have been totally disgusted and ashamed at the americans attitude in response to this horrific disaster, unfortunately I am more conservative with my comments, but my feelings are the same.

It seems to me that their latest input of $350 million is a face saving measure and puts them in a position whearas they now have control of all aid efforts.

But as history tells us the americans are always late arriving WWI & WWII .....It makes everyone else feel more grateful in the end......LOL

Sad part is that they do have the best resources in the world and if they used them effectively and timely..... many more lives would be saved.

/ No slagging matches here.

/keep it respectfull and voice your opinion that way. He's entitled to his opinion and you to yours , please present them respectfully in light of these events.

Edited by Darknight

Carrier task force?? Are they planning an invasion?

In case you are not being intentionally difficult, a carrier group is an extremely capable mobile resource!

The hospital facilities, power generation capability, supplies, and disciplined staff could be very helpful in an aid role. Just a single large aircraft carrier is a floating city in addition to having a large armory. There are also of course more specialized equipment and staff ranging from helicopters/crews, small boats/crews, diving teams, to air traffic radar/controllers who I imagine could help in the relief effort.

I saw an article also saying that a submarine was being dispatched to the area. It is not impossible for a submarine to be moored in a harbor and used to generate electrical power for the local town or city (from its nuclear reactor), although the examples I remember were Soviet subs.

I dare say this face saving measure is all in response to being called on the carpet for the puny initial contribution. It needn't  have taken 5 days for the "American assessment teams on the ground" to realize the extent of devastation.

Clearly, the US government could have gotten better PR by putting a larger number on the table. However, unless there is evidence that aid did not hit the ground due to lack of funds, it is disengenuous to fixate on the "initial contribution"! In reality, I suspect that logistics and diplomacy is the limiting factor on how much aid can be supplied in the first few days, rather than a lid on the government coffers. The infrastructure of the affected regions is in a shambles, yet most countries would not appreciate it if the US military did indeed "invade" their territory to set up temporary infrastructure. Furthermore, it would not have helped the injured, hungry, and displaced to just air-drop sacks of money.

That's right those american idiots should have not only only foreseen this disaster that happens once in a 100 years they should have also anticipated the scope and magnitude of it as well.

Isn't that right?

:o

New donation request... send any and all Polaroid cameras, inkjet printers, etc to the US Embassy aid station, Don Muang Airport.  :o

Seriously, what expat-global said is very true.  They definitely are not as well organized as they think.

Regarding the airport - maybe I was in the wrong place or something, but I will say that there was absolutely ZERO clue about how to get to ANY of the aid stations, and I sure as ###### didn't see anyone standing around - so perhaps there are fewer people now, or else I'm just blind as a bat.  No signes either.

The LOGICAL place for coordination is the central connecting area in Departures right between Terminals 1 and 2.  A huge Thai Airways counter, plus Bangkok Bank and a couple other foreign exchange booths - and this area is otherwise almost always devoid of people.

What the ###### were they thinking?

The problem appears to be they aren't as smart as you think. Australian AID on the ground in under 6 hours. American on the ground in 6 days.

Hmmm

That's right those american idiots should have not only only foreseen this disaster that happens once in a 100 years they should have also anticipated the scope and magnitude of it as well.

Isn't that right?

A kasi is a toilet isn't it?

To get back on topic...

I don't think there will be much assistance required at the airport now, as most survivors have already returned home. Thammasat's temporary displacement area only has about 16 people left, and they expect to close down shortly. Many of the hospital lists also show that a majority of the patients have been discharged.

What the consulates ought to do now is visit their citizens which remain in hospitals in Bangkok and Phuket and nearby areas and provide them with whatever they need for the time being. Other staff can be directed to assist with the reporting of lists, or better yet, the cleanup of the existing lists, at the very least with their own citizens.

Nations with many people missing should now start visiting the morgues armed with pictures of their citizens, though I suspect this might still be a fruitless task if all the bodies have decomposed.

In case you are not being intentionally difficult, a carrier group is an extremely capable mobile resource!
True, if appropriately managed.
The hospital facilities, power generation capability, supplies, and disciplined staff could be very helpful in an aid role. Just a single large aircraft carrier is a floating city in addition to having a large armory.

Hospital facilities-supply personnel over the side.

Generation-Power over the side.

Armoury would be useful for what, again?

There are also of course more specialized equipment and staff ranging from helicopters/crews, small boats/crews, diving teams, to air traffic radar/controllers who I imagine could help in the relief effort.
All true
I saw an article also saying that a submarine was being dispatched to the area. It is not impossible for a submarine to be moored in a harbor and used to generate electrical power for the local town or city (from its nuclear reactor), although the examples I remember were Soviet subs.

True again

The comment about the armoury still concerns me.

/ No slagging matches here.

/keep it respectfull and voice your opinion that way. He's entitled to his opinion and you to yours , please present them respectfully in light of these events.

Let's not go banging on Mr. Vietnam for his views. He's just tired like the rest of us seeing more "Blame America First" thinking circulating on this forum.

It's one thing to castigate ineffective consulate and embassy officials but when the line is crossed slagging the US again, patience runs out... :o

""""""Sad part is that they do have the best resources in the world and if they used them effectively and timely..... many more lives would be saved."""""""

If Thailand and India would have used their resources efficiently and effectively,

there would have been a tsunami warning system in place. If Thailand would have used its resources intelligently, there would have been a warning sent out by the appropriate governmental department to reach as many people as possible on the beaches.

Yes, no one has more than the US so no one wastes more than the US.

Isn't that right?

A kasi is a toilet isn't it?

Only in your house IT manageter!

Why don't you put your head in it? :D

Edited by kasi

This Thread is closed.

I said no slagging matches.

There's already one gone of you , i don't need to remind the rest of you i hope.

In This forum Branch you can deliver comments to the disaster and their effect RESPECTFULLY.

NO flaming , NO slagging, NO insults.