Reentry Permit

Absolutely. The ideal time to get your multiple re-entry permit is each year when you extend your permission to stay.

Two questions regarding this 'multiple entry':

First, isn't it a 'multiple-entry visa', rather than a 'permit'? Every time I have asked to get a multiple-entry Non-immigrant B at the Vientiane Thai embassy, they've always refused, saying they would only give out the single-entry.

Secondly, even if you do manage to get one of these multiple entry Non-immigrant B's, does that mean you have to leave the country every 90 days, or is 'reporting' still an option.

1. A re-entry permit is obtained from immigration inside Thailand to allow you to travel and return when on an extension of stay. It is not something you get from a Consulate. It is not a visa.

2. A multi entry non immigrant B visa only allows a 90 day stay - so yes you have to leave every 90 days or less.

1. A re-entry permit is obtained from immigration inside Thailand to allow you to travel and return when on an extension of stay. It is not something you get from a Consulate. It is not a visa.

2. A multi entry non immigrant B visa only allows a 90 day stay - so yes you have to leave every 90 days or less.

Thanks.. I'm am aware of what is a visa and what is a re-entry permit and where they are acquired. But are you saying that the muliple-entry non-immigrant B visa allows one to leave without the onorous process of constantly going to the hinterland office to get a re-entry permit?

Also, are you saying that one can get a 'single entry Non-immigrant B visa' from the Embassy in Vientiane, and then later on get a 'multiple entry re-entry permit' later from immigration office (in whatever isolated spot one is forced to go, which is in my case Mukdahan), thus being allowed to leave the country more than once without returning to said hinterland immigration office?

It seems to me that there may be two ways to avoid the necessity of the trip to Mukdahan every time one wishes to leave via Savanaphum airport - either a multiple-entry non-immigrant B visa, or a multiple entry re-entry permit. Do both these things exist?

1. Yes a multi entry visa allows unlimited entry/exit whild valid - but only for up to 90 days at a time.

2. Yes you can obtain a single or multi re-entry permit - but it will only keep your current 90 day stay alive. It will have the same date on it as your last entry stamp.

3. Both those things exist but they are not normally used together as it only keeps your current stay alive - for a one year extension of stay it is viable - for shorter stays you would have to get a new one every 90 days or less.

1. Yes a multi entry visa allows unlimited entry/exit whild valid - but only for up to 90 days at a time.

2. Yes you can obtain a single or multi re-entry permit - but it will only keep your current 90 day stay alive. It will have the same date on it as your last entry stamp.

3. Both those things exist but they are not normally used together as it only keeps your current stay alive - for a one year extension of stay it is viable - for shorter stays you would have to get a new one every 90 days or less.

I see! So basically if one wants to have the option of leaving the country on short notice (say for work), and retain his one year extension of stay, he must do his penance every 90 days in the hinterland office to get a new 'multiple-entry re-entry permit'. I see. dam_n how I would like to avoid to go to Mukdahan all the time, but such is our lot. Teach just a little, travel back and forth to Mukdahan a great deal! :o

Thank you very much for your kind explanations lopburi3.

No. A one year extension of stay will get a matching re-entry permit - you do not need to get a new one every 90 days. Only if you were using a multi entry visa with 90 day stay (which is what you wrote) would that be the case.

If you have a one year extension of stay and expect to travel get a re-entry permit - if you expect to travel more than 3 times get a multi re-entry permit. Either type will have the same expiration date as your extension of stay.

No. A one year extension of stay will get a matching re-entry permit - you do not need to get a new one every 90 days. Only if you were using a multi entry visa with 90 day stay (which is what you wrote) would that be the case.

If you have a one year extension of stay and expect to travel get a re-entry permit - if you expect to travel more than 3 times get a multi re-entry permit. Either type will have the same expiration date as your extension of stay.

The interesting point here is that you seem to be saying that one could get a re-entry permit (single or mutiple), way back at the beginning of one's 'extension of stay' period (which presumably begins at the end of the 90 day original non-immigrant B ), which would be good for the entire year!

I had always understood that I needed to get a 're entry permit' immediately before leaving. If what you way is the case, then perhaps the absurd requirement to get the thing in Mukdahan is not so onerous, as one already has to face the onerous requirement of going to the bloody place for the extension of stay. One could just get the re-entry permit at the same time, if that lady who runs the place would allow it.

Edited by ClareQuilty

I had always understood that I needed to get a 're entry permit' immediately before leaving. If what you way is the case, then perhaps the absurd requirement to get the thing in Mukdahan is not so onerous, as one already has to face the onerous requirement of going to the bloody place for the extension of stay. One could just get the re-entry permit at the same time, if that lady who runs the place would allow it.

Only at the airport could you get a re-entry permit just before leaving. The re-entry permit can be applied for whenever you want. Note that there are 2 kinds of re-entry permits:

single - cost 1,000 baht

multiple - cost 3,800

So it always depends on your travelplans which one you need. But it is always handy to have at least a single, just in case.

The interesting point here is that you seem to be saying that one could get a re-entry permit (single or mutiple), way back at the beginning of one's 'extension of stay' period (which presumably begins at the end of the 90 day original non-immigrant B ), which would be good for the entire year!

Yes that is what I am saying. The re-entry permit will have the same expiration date as your current permitted to stay stamp. So if you expect to travel obtain immediately after you get your final extension of stay stamp to cover you for the entire period.

Off topic posts have been deleted.

Sorry, but I am confused. Are these statements true or false:

1) I have to go to the immigration office that serves my province to get a reentry permit before I can leave the country if I want to retain my Thai-wife visa?

If so, in my case that means a 1200 km round trip all the way to Nan. What if I have to leave in a hurry.....some emergency?

2) It is not possible to get a reentry permit at any of the airports or immigration exit points?

If the above it true......well, some of us really need to start complaining in a very firm voice.

Off topic posts have been deleted.

Sorry, but I am confused. Are these statements true or false:

1) I have to go to the immigration office that serves my province to get a reentry permit before I can leave the country if I want to retain my Thai-wife visa?

If so, in my case that means a 1200 km round trip all the way to Nan. What if I have to leave in a hurry.....some emergency?

2) It is not possible to get a reentry permit at any of the airports or immigration exit points?

If the above it true......well, some of us really need to start complaining in a very firm voice.

1. Yes. But in the case of a real emergency, and only then, you might be able to get a re-entry permit at the airport.

2. No. Only at your local office are they available.

You can complain and contact immigration about this. But Thaivisa isn't there to do it for you. We only exchange information, Thaivisa is not an action group.