Pool Competitions @ Cue Bar

keo

Dont really want to get drawn into this, but under what rules are you going to play your 8 ball?

I have encountered Thai and British rules here in CM, and since the opening of your bar and reading your threads have encountered US rules, usually described as 'International Rules'.

Iain

The rules should be posted.

2 shots on a foul won't be one of them.

Keo

Are the rules posted in the club ??? as mentioned there are many different rules depending on where you play and it should be clear to players what the rules of the club are prior to playing I personally dont care what the rules are as long as I know before hand.

I will plan on bringing a few players on monday with me and give these bucket tables a go my bet is one of the players I bring will win

C u there

The rules they play are...

*ball in hand after a foul (1 shot)

*call shots (play passes to the opponent in the case of a fluke, or loss of game on the black)

* at least one ball must hit a cushion if a ball is not potted.

*jump shots are allowed, but only from above.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I'm sure the rules will be explained on the night.

cheers.

P.S. Dotcom, it's not my venture, just promoting it for a friend.

*call shots (play passes to the opponent in the case of a fluke, or loss of game on the black)

cheers.

how would you play a jump shot if not from above? Are the tables insured against cloth tears or is the punter responsible?

Dont really want to get drawn into this, but under what rules are you going to play your 8 ball?

I have encountered Thai and British rules here in CM, and since the opening of your bar and reading your threads have encountered US rules, usually described as 'International Rules'.

Iain

God, this drives me absolutely mad. They are not "US" rules, they are THE rules. It just so happens that Americans play the correct rules - the British, Aussies, Kiwis, Thais etc play some hideous bastardisation.

You know the rules for snooker. Well, these are POOL rules. One day the penny'll drop and everyone will understand this.

cheers.

how would you play a jump shot if not from above? Are the tables insured against cloth tears or is the punter responsible?

I wouldn't worry about cloth tears.

You can play 2 types of jump shot - striking down on the ball in order to get it to bounce over the obstructing ball, or striking low to scoop it over. Striking low is illegal as you're making more than one contact with the ball. It will also increase the chances of ripping the cloth.

There are another couple of nuances, but the other major change is you're allowed to pot your opponents ball (without foul) as long as you make contact with your own first. It eliminates pocket blocking.

The PROPER rules of pool are tremendous once you get used to them. No snookers, no flukes, very little safety, no two bloody shots - just aggressive, rewarding play. In essence they mean the best players win.

cheers.

Keo, et al

on the " at least one ball must hit a cushion if a ball is no potted" rule I think you should clarify that a ball must hit a cushion or be potted AFTER the cue ball makes a legal contact with a ball that is "on". The cue ball contacting a cushion BEFORE the legal hit is made does not satisfy this rule. Correct???

This rule makes legal hits from snooked positions and shooting good safeties much more difficult

cheers.

see the next to last picture above. the player in the green shirt is shooting a legal jump shot. He will not tear the cloth.

scooping the cue ball from below to lift it over an obstructing ball is a foul and is a danger to the cloth. It is actualy illegal because you are intentionally striking the ball with the ferrule and not the tip which is not legal.

cheers.

Keo, et al

on the " at least one ball must hit a cushion if a ball is no potted" rule I think you should clarify that a ball must hit a cushion or be potted AFTER the cue ball makes a legal contact with a ball that is "on". The cue ball contacting a cushion BEFORE the legal hit is made does not satisfy this rule. Correct???

Yes, correct. I *think* the only exception to that is if you're snookered on all balls - no foul if you don't hit a cushion after hitting your ball then. Not everyone plays that, however.

cheers.

Keo, et al

Yes, correct. I *think* the only exception to that is if you're snookered on all balls - no foul if you don't hit a cushion after hitting your ball then. Not everyone plays that, however.

I have seen a set of rules from some official body in the UK ( I just found it in the Black Ball Rules) that makes that exception for a legal shot. WPBA and BCA rules do not have that exception however and you must always drive a ball to a cushion (or pocket one) after the legal hit

I don't really care as long as the complete rules are specified and available for everyone to read and undertand before play begins. Nothing is worse than a tournament where the players either have not had access to the rules or failed to read and understand them. Then you have countless arguments over misunderstanding of the rules and many "that's not how we play it in _______" comments.

I have refereed 8 and 9 ball matches using the WPBA/BCA rules which can be seen at http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_tournament . There are a few things in them that I personally don't like but having a complete set of rules of any kind is better than not having them.

Edited by bjohn34