Tight Squeeze

ProfessorFart

Just passing on a word of warning from several friends in Thailand.

Be sure to book your accommodation in advance in the aftermath of the Tsunami especially in cheaper places. As if accommodation isn't hard enough to come by at this time of the year, the tragic events of the past few days have put an extra strain on the accommodation resources of Thailand.

I had a call at 6AM from a mate who had just arrived in BKK from Chiang Mai and couldn't find a room in Banglamphu for love nor money. I've also heard from mates in Ko Chang, Ko Samui, and Ban Phe all saying that there has been a noticable increase in arrivals since Boxing Day.

It seems that travellers affected by the disaster have headed for alternative destinations in particular Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Bangkok, and those whos future plans involved travel to the affected area have changed plans and headed to Samui, KPNg, Ko Samet, and Ko Chang instead.

Be warned! Just turning up may see you kipping on the beach with the mosquitos!

Edited by ProfessorFart

Thx for excellent info.

Have booked bkk flights end Feb. Do not wish to cancel as Thai economy

prob needs tourist dollar more than ever . ( Although breakout of cholera

would make me think again)

Also if Samui hotels and restaurants hike up prices to take advantage of

disaster in phuket etc would pi$$ me off and I would cancel.

Would appreciate advice of breakout of profiteering

This warning only really applies for the next few weeks as it is concerned with the sudden movement of travellers caused by the disaster.

I'm certain that by the time you get there, a clearer picture of the longer term effects of the disaster will be known.

I'm afraid reports are coming in already of people taking advantage of the situation but these are thankfully minimal and there is no mention of anything of the kind happening in any of the above areas.

Despite what the foregn press is saying the disaster in the South is small,

when viewed against the whole of the country.

Outside of the area in the South, the country as a whole is unaffected.

There is no danger of disease.

The only problem might be finding a vacant hotel room at the moment, but that will ease as the season quietens down.

Outside of the area in the South, the country as a whole is unaffected.

There is no danger of disease.

The only problem might be finding a vacant hotel room at the moment, but that will ease as the season quietens down.

I heard there were plenty of rooms available on the West Coast:

Even though 77% of the rooms are available in Phuket and 90% of the rooms are available in Krabi. These hotels have occupancies that are < 20%. No new clients have come to Phuket. They will soon face a very serious financial issue for people in Phuket.

if this is about reports: here is one very well applying to mentioned regions: Samui (maybe not all of them, I admit) DID raise prices. Lomprayah ferry services did cancel their promotion fares. Pizza very well got 20 Bht more expensive at many (foreign and thai owned restaurants around the island). Is this all due to "high season" ??? I doubt but I might be a dreamer too...

I imagine that the west coast will, certainly, face as surge as people hit by the Tsunami finish their hols in this area. When these vacations finish, Sumui etc will probably be quieter than is normal for the region at this time of year, as peolpe in England are canceling their trips there!

I have a friend who moved from Phucket to Samui, he returns to UK on Thursday.

I have many friends who have cancelled their flights to Bkk, in the UK.

Also I have reports that Thong Nai Pan Noi on KPG is very busy. I do think this will change over the next couple of weeks!

B