Going Postal

John

Is there a new policy this year with Thailand Post Offices (Bangkok) charging for delivery of packages?

We have been getting deliveries from the post office for quite awhile, but a few weeks ago they left 1 of 3 packages and a note to pickup the other 2 up at the post office (all the same size). Then today they delivered a box but demanded 7 baht for delivery. There was a small stamp in Thai on the box, but I'm sure this is not for additional postage and the mailman said 'for delivery'.

The 7 baht is not an issue, just wondering if this is happening to others in Bangkok.

Edited by John

... There was a small stamp in Thai on the box, but I'm sure this is not for additional postage ...

Can you post a picture of the stamp? I've never been charged, but it would make sense if this 7 baht was an additional charge because the original stamp didn't cover the weight of the parcel.

Paid 7 baht for delivery of overseas items for several years now. And no, its not a farang price, I've known my postman since he was about 5.

I find this very odd, why after close to 50 deliveries, our post office would suddenly add a charge just because the package originated outside of Thailand.

post-11-1232449620_thumb.jpg

Edited by John

Maybe they finally decided to enforce the rules? Maybe they got in trouble for not charging?

Random enforcement of known regulations is not an unknown phenomenon in the Thai bureaucracy.

The 7 baht charge has been around for a few years so it's legit. Normally applies when they send out someone especially to deliver mail from overseas, not when delivered as part of your regular delivery. It might be something to do with the sender requesting proof of delivery, I'm not sure.

The 7 baht charge has been around for a few years so it's legit. Normally applies when they send out someone especially to deliver mail from overseas, not when delivered as part of your regular delivery. It might be something to do with the sender requesting proof of delivery, I'm not sure.

Yes your right 3 months ago my daughter sent 2 mobile's from the UK via standard UK international to add to its risk of never being seen again she also added an extra digit to the post code,so very luckly when it did arrive i had to sign & pay at the local post office 7 baht, this i thought was a bargain as they told me it had been sent all over issarn for around 2 weeks & also the posty kept missin us for 3 days, this i was told was why they made the charge, best 7 baht i've ever paid should have seen their eye's light up when i opened the box & 2 brand new mobiles spilled out onto the desk.

It's legit, have had the 7baht fee for a number of years. Funnily enough, it inly appears on certain packages. Not sure if it is to do with weight, ou rproof of delivery. I normally received 3-4 parcels a month, and whilst I've never fully understood what the charge is for, it's hardly an inconvenience, unlike when you have to got to the psot office and pay some ludicrous duty, which shouldn't be applicable, Thankfully, that nonsense has happened only a couple fo thimes, and I've found the postal systm to be pretty good here.

Yes your right 3 months ago my daughter sent 2 mobile's from the UK via standard UK international to add to its risk of never being seen again she also added an extra digit to the post code,so very luckly when it did arrive i had to sign & pay at the local post office 7 baht, this i thought was a bargain as they told me it had been sent all over issarn for around 2 weeks & also the posty kept missin us for 3 days, this i was told was why they made the charge, best 7 baht i've ever paid should have seen their eye's light up when i opened the box & 2 brand new mobiles spilled out onto the desk.

They'll make sure to take it next time :o