Is Samui Dying?

Per a reliable source, Centara (ex. Central Hotel Chaweng) last year same time was booked out (200+ rooms). Now they have 52 rooms only full. Their lost income is approx. 150 rooms @ 10,000++ night = 1,500,000 baht per DAY less than last year same period. That is 1.5 mill baht per DAY "lost"!?!?!?

They have 300+ staff! A horrendous loss vs last year!

others will tell you that samui is doing ok and that centara obviously are n't running their business very well..................but there's nothing like the plan truth,tourism is probably down 50% at the minimum and it will get worse.Huge resorts may still be being built,clubs,bars and restuarants being renovated but they better have a lot of cash to tidy themselves over in the meantime.

Actually, I don't see that many people not saying tourism isn't down. In fact, given the economic climate, its down everywhere. But does a down season or even a few down seasons imply the "death" of Samui tourism?

I doubt it SBK,everything in life goes through cycles,stock markets go down & rebound,so does tourism,some markets(tourists) slow down & new ones open.It goes round & round :o

I travel around most of the resorts as and when the mood strikes and was due to visit Samui again. Deals can obviously be struck but the best deal I had recently was a 'homestay' in Hua Hin. Never tried it before but stayed at a fantastic villa with a great family for far less than I would pay for a decent hotel. Might not suit the single boozers 'on the hunt' but I'd definitely recommend it for everyone else.

To me, this all looks like short-term-worries.

In the long term, this might turn out good for business. For instance look at the little shops in Banrak next to the Seatran pier. Almost all of them empty. 2 million baht key money and 20k rent per month. That's over the top and nobody rents. Bar owners closed their bars because the landlord raised the rent to absurd heights. Land prices on Samui are through the roof (although landowners will disagree with that).

Of this continues, prices will have to go down, and that makes future investments more interesting again. So I think in the long run, this could turn into something good. The strong will surely survive in the long run. But those only capable of planning 3 days ahead, will struggle.

And for those comparisons to the UK pound - Samui does not rely on British tourists alone. Look at the rest of Europe, Korea, Russia, Australia, America, etc. The pound may be skydiving without a parachute, but that's not Thailand's problem. Europe is just as expensive for the UK now.

many good points on this forum.

Short Term - Long Term

really depends on markets, economies, political events, pricing, employment. I do believe though this Global Recession is something very different from anything we have had in the past. If people can afford to travel they will. As far as samui dying. I'll give you a few ideas on how samui's tourism can die but then again this would affect all of thailand and plenty of places

1. Price of Oil goes up to $300 dollars a barrel. When that happens its either airlines aren't flying or the fuel surcharge matches the same price or higher for the ticket. Expect then lots of surcharges for the planes maybe even one to use the bathroom. Event of this happening possible maybe after all we saw $150 back in july. Also depend of how the global economy picks up though.

2. Thailand's political problems become so bad that it goes through a violent civil war. By that point no need further explaination

3. The events going on the south never become resolved and get worse eventually spreading all over thailand. By this time militants could be everything and thailand becomes a new iraq. Don't know on this but anything in thailand seems to be possible now in days

4. A massive storm comes to samui and wipes everything out.

5. This seems more likely than anything though. As construction of hotels keeps happening, infrastructure eventually collapses. Chance of happening is more likely than anything, yes i know thailand is still backwards but with anywhere in the world if you don't keep your infrastructure up to date with changes, expecially with massive developments always happening here it will collapse.

at least for right now for this global event one thing seems certain. it still has not hit bottom and no one really know's when things will turn around. I try to just enjoy one day at a time. I have my health after all. Don't think samui tourism will die anytime, Slowdown very much so.

Per a reliable source, Centara (ex. Central Hotel Chaweng) last year same time was booked out (200+ rooms). Now they have 52 rooms only full. Their lost income is approx. 150 rooms @ 10,000++ night = 1,500,000 baht per DAY less than last year same period. That is 1.5 mill baht per DAY "lost"!?!?!?

others will tell you that samui is doing ok and that centara obviously are n't running their business very well..................but there's nothing like the plan truth,tourism is probably down 50% at the minimum and it will get worse.Huge resorts may still be being built,clubs,bars and restuarants being renovated but they better have a lot of cash to tidy themselves over in the meantime.

Actually, I don't see that many people not saying tourism isn't down. In fact, given the economic climate, its down everywhere. But does a down season or even a few down seasons imply the "death" of Samui tourism?

I doubt it SBK,everything in life goes through cycles,stock markets go down & rebound,so does tourism,some markets(tourists) slow down & new ones open.It goes round & round :D

The wheel of life keeps grinding away! :o

no i dont think it means the death of samui tourism but a serious curtailment for this year and maybe next.It will depend on this current global crisis that appears to be affecting every country in regards to individual financial loss and also loss of employment.

I live in Pai.

Here, we are so full of BKK Thai we can't move, a couple weeks a year. The rest of the year, we have this mountain to ourselves.

Many high end resorts are being built here, and there are some really quality places to stay.

I am finding that it appears to me, from my eyes only, not research, that the Thais are beginning to enjoy Thailand in areas where there are not so many manthet. But the BKK Thai's are rude and dirty they throw their stuff everywhere, and we have lots of accidents they walk down the streets like it is disneyland, which makes it difficult for us to drive there.

Things are moving. My conclusions about the world's economic meltdown, according to my personal calculations, the world must lose 800,000,000 jobs between Sept 2008 and Jan 1 2010. The American's share is 320,000,000 jobs must be lost (out of a total human population including 100,000,000 illegal aliens of only 302,000,000), and the Thai share of this should be around 60,000,000 jobs lost out of a total population of about 85,000,000. This means, basically, that there are not enough people to put of work in order to meet the demand for job losses. The demand for job losses will cause the cream (underground economies of nations) to rise, and for nations like the USA, this will mean that the war machine will lose not only it's access to money, but also it's access to secret funding sources. Of course I expect other things will be occurring as well over the next fiscal year, but this I do believe to be a given.

I live in Pai.

Here, we are so full of BKK Thai we can't move, a couple weeks a year. The rest of the year, we have this mountain to ourselves.

Many high end resorts are being built here, and there are some really quality places to stay.

I am finding that it appears to me, from my eyes only, not research, that the Thais are beginning to enjoy Thailand in areas where there are not so many manthet. But the BKK Thai's are rude and dirty they throw their stuff everywhere, and we have lots of accidents they walk down the streets like it is disneyland, which makes it difficult for us to drive there.

Things are moving. My conclusions about the world's economic meltdown, according to my personal calculations, the world must lose 800,000,000 jobs between Sept 2008 and Jan 1 2010. The American's share is 320,000,000 jobs must be lost (out of a total human population including 100,000,000 illegal aliens of only 302,000,000), and the Thai share of this should be around 60,000,000 jobs lost out of a total population of about 85,000,000. This means, basically, that there are not enough people to put of work in order to meet the demand for job losses. The demand for job losses will cause the cream (underground economies of nations) to rise, and for nations like the USA, this will mean that the war machine will lose not only it's access to money, but also it's access to secret funding sources. Of course I expect other things will be occurring as well over the next fiscal year, but this I do believe to be a given.

I think that I should go to Pai ; and have a nice bong with you, to help me to clarify the purpose of this lovely post.

Do they pick up guests for free in Bangkok?

For that money in 2009 i would expect a free pickup at my door in Italy... :o

Samui needs zoning, proper infrastucture, crime prevention not just attending reported crimes and scamming people. The last few years have seen boutique resorts and holel chains bring more and more family's couples to the Island. These i fear will not be return visitors as once they strp outside the resorts the real Samui is waiting. Years of neglet as officials have creamed of money that should have been invested in infrastructure and local services.

After the recent turmoil Samui needs a real positive image boost, move the girly bars to a zoned area and get the ladyboys and girls for hire of the main strips. Increase ploce numbers and visibility and smarten them up. Have taxi ranks instead of hundreds of rip of artists beeping thier horn at everybody on foot.

Well i'll stop now but i could go on.

P.S. Well done to Bangkok Airways for thier promotional Fares

Samui needs zoning, proper infrastucture, crime prevention not just attending reported crimes and scamming people. The last few years have seen boutique resorts and holel chains bring more and more family's couples to the Island. These i fear will not be return visitors as once they strp outside the resorts the real Samui is waiting. Years of neglet as officials have creamed of money that should have been invested in infrastructure and local services.

After the recent turmoil Samui needs a real positive image boost, move the girly bars to a zoned area and get the ladyboys and girls for hire of the main strips. Increase ploce numbers and visibility and smarten them up. Have taxi ranks instead of hundreds of rip of artists beeping thier horn at everybody on foot.

Well i'll stop now but i could go on.

P.S. Well done to Bangkok Airways for thier promotional Fares

Yeah the Ploce your never see them - mmm but I have seen the Police - I got pulled over them other night and was stripped search buy guys in Camo gear anyone know who that could have been

Edited by Maipenrai007

• 2 weeks later...

whilst I think the global economic problems will iron themselves out (I personally think we're past the worst). I do also think samui just doesn't have the same buzz it used to.

when I first came to lamai in 2003 I remember it had pretty decent nightlife. now - with a few exception's - the bar's are dead and generally staffed by bored burnt-out bargirls. it's quite depressing tbh.

fusion is ok the first 10 million times you go but after that it gets a little repetitive. supersub looks to be thais only these days and seed is 5hite. lek bar is ok but too small to be considered a decent after-hours joint. soho was ok but as it was farang owned and doing a decent trade we couldn't have that could we. :o

chaweng is a state - everything crammed in together. knocking down and rebuilding. soi green mango is same old crap.

the new bar ice is a total rip-off, as is Q bar - both probably wont last long.

don't get me started on the roads.

I think some of the main reasons samui's going down atm are:

economy/exchange rate

bkk airways flight price raping

taxi mafia

grotty/expensive/5hite bar(girl)s

it's a shame because I do - and always will - love samui, but I think chaweng and in particular lamai is in need of a

serious makeover.

Centara's rooms don't go for 10.000,- THB per room, most of their rooms are a lot cheaper. Not saying they're not hurting though.

Another side effect of the ecomic downturn I see coming up is that (petty) crime will go up. Robberies and stealing will increase as soon as people will be laid off, folks won't have money and will grab every opportunity to get some money.

Edited by limbos

Doom and despair nearly everywhere then?

Try booking rooms as I have just done and see the response.

This is the reply I got asking for one room at the Sala, Choengmon from the 13th to 16th February 2009.

Reduced 67%

603 x 98 (17.62K)

yes but notice the dates ' Valetines day ' !! .. thus you will have alot over from BKK, Singapore and HK with there sweethearts :o ..

the sala is a well known hotel for these people, thus try booking a week later :D

This is the reply I got asking for one room at the Sala, Choengmon from the 13th to 16th February 2009.

Reduced 67%

603 x 98 (17.62K)

yes but notice the dates ' Valetines day ' !! .. thus you will have alot over from BKK, Singapore and HK with there sweethearts :o ..

the sala is a well known hotel for these people, thus try booking a week later :D

As requested, Boater

post-22832-1233637874_thumb.jpg

post-22832-1233637695_thumb.jpg

post-22832-1233637723_thumb.jpg

Reduced 67%

603 x 98 (17.62K)

As requested, Boater

post-22832-1233637874_thumb.jpg

This doesn't mean anything, as it is an automated booking engine. The management of the hotel gives the site a limited allocation, the site can freely use. If that allocation is used, it appears that the hotel is fully booked and the management should give extra rooms to the booking engine (if available). But... if you go to www.latestays.com, you can book a room at half price during this period, meaning that they have so many rooms available that they are desperate to sell it at half price. The Sala managent should have a nice talk with their reservation manager who is responsible for this crazy situation :D

Edited by marcus