Just Had A Great Hamburger

dbTraveler

I'm asking because I had Scottie's Bar for six years 2000-2006 and sold it to Steve. Last I heard of the original Scottie (who played for Leicester City) he was in a nursing home in Perth,

Can someone get me Steve's current email ? And can someone tell me what's happening to Scottie's. 200 Sai Nam Yen.

Edited by patong6

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm asking because I had Scottie's Bar for six years 2000-2006 and sold it to Steve. Last I heard of the original Scottie (who played for Leicester City) he was in a nursing home in Perth,

Can someone get me Steve's current email ? And can someone tell me what's happening to Scottie's. 200 Sai Nam Yen.

Hi Bob.

If you see my earlier note, you'll see that's the latest I have on your old bar. Hasn't really changed much. I'm still In communication with Steve, pretty much on a daily basis by mail. How shall I get his mail address to you??

From a history point, It would be Interesting to know more about the original Scottie. Any Ideas as to his original name, and when he palyed for Leicester, and what period he had the bar etc etc etc. Who had It prior to him?

Let me know.

I can't remember his name, although he told me. He was from Edinburgh, but had lived in Perth for 20+ years. He first sold the bar to a Finnish guy who hated customers and went broke. Scottie ( Les ?) bought it back and then sold it again to a violent drunk, a timeshare salesman..

After he lost a fight, he was a king hit merchant, most people can;t get up after a king hit, but this bloke did. The place was closed when I bought, for not much money.

I can't remember his name, although he told me. He was from Edinburgh, but had lived in Perth for 20+ years. He first sold the bar to a Finnish guy who hated customers and went broke. Scottie ( Les ?) bought it back and then sold it again to a violent drunk, a timeshare salesman..

After he lost a fight, he was a king hit merchant, most people can;t get up after a king hit, but this bloke did. The place was closed when I bought, for not much money.

Hi Bob, how's thing's?

Thanks for your reply, found It quite Interesting. However, I have done some more research on this (just for Interest purposes) as I wanted to trace this back, and have now come to an abrubt end.

I have trawled through various lists of all Leicester City F.C. players going back to the 1946/47 season, and all of the Les's / Leslies that are listed in the clubs history, have been English.

Could you rack your brians again to see If you can get any other recollections of who this was. Was he acually Scottish?? Any guesses at his age?? First name If not Les??

Any clues would be a great help. I appreciate It was many moons ago, and that vast quantities of the liquid stuff have been consumed since, but who knows what I'll discover If I keep digging away.

Thanks In advance.

Any clues would be a great help. I appreciate It was many moons ago, and that vast quantities of the liquid stuff have been consumed since, but who knows what I'll discover If I keep digging away.

Thanks In advance.

Many years ago I used to have a casual drink at Scottie's bar not long after it opened, I guess that would be about 1997/98. The owner (Scottie) spoke like a genuine Scot to me (and I'm from Glasgow). He had a part time/casual job as a time share salesman at the Patong Tower. He told me he was from the Edinburgh area, and as a youngster had played on the junior team for a major Edinburgh Club (so that would be either Hearts or Hibs). Moved up in the football world to play at Leicester FC. Later on he moved to Australia (Perth), had at least 2 marriages and some kids that lived in Perth. At least that's what he told me over some months of casual chat. He had a major drink problem, as in a raving alcoholic. The name Les sounds familiar, but I can't confirm that. He sold the bar, moved up to Bangkok for a few months (heard he was in rehab). Came back to Patong after several months, and bought the bar back (he said for a profit). Not long after he sold the bar again, and as far as I know was never seen in Patong again.

Scottie did come back to Patong for a while, because he had many a drink in my (his old) bar but later went to Perth. The one person who would definitely know his name is his old mate (Sorry, my memory doesn't work too well these days) who has a bar/guesthouse halfway up soi Sansabai on the right hand side. He is a scotsman and has scottish flags outside (and inside) his bar. I can't remeber his name but he will know Scottie's.

Good luck with the Detective work and please post your answer.

His mate's name is Fiddy - his place is Fiddy's bar and guesthouse. Memory came back. Good guy, great breakfasts.

Thanks Bob, good job your memory returned as I think that the trail had gone dry. It sounds as though he left Hibs/Herts at an early aged, so tracking down transfers would have been near damm Impossible with my resources.

I have sent a mail to Fiddy via his guesthouse, so I am hoping that he gets It.

Failing that, any chances of LivinginKata getting down there at some point in person, to see if he can ask the question directly.

What do you think Livinginkata?

Failing that, any chances of LivinginKata getting down there at some point in person, to see if he can ask the question directly.

Ok, I'll try to talk to this guy Fiddy in the next couple of days. No promises ...

Hi Guy's.

I've just opened my mail since the weekend and have received the following responce from Fiddy.

hi bob

hope you are ok,wow what an email yes scottis real name is lesly or lesley or leslie foster the poor man is very ill in melbourne with cancer for the past 3 years he was working in bangkok doing time share but he had no power he was in bed for 7 each night exausted his head is shaved and he wore a hat to hide the scars from all the operations he refused to lie down he was and still is a legend with all the patong boys if he gets out from hospital he will go strait back to bangkok as for the football no one will ever know? but I would love to believe it is true,well bob cant tell you much just that I got pissed with him 4 or 5 times a week and I loved it he is a star cheers for now bob

fiddy.

I'll start to look at the Lesley Foster Foster suggestion and see how we get on.

Bob

Edited by patong6

Ok, I'll try to talk to this guy Fiddy in the next couple of days. No promises ...

O.K.

I think that this story Is about to come to a sad end with regards to the football link. I can't find anything refering to Mr. Foster. I have mailed the club to see if their records are any different from what they list below. I'm not sure what to make of this story now.

City Legends is our definitive guide to every single player ever to pull on a Leicester City shirt.

We think we've got every former player covered - but if you think that we've missed anyone from the list or our information is incorrect, please contact us by clicking here.

You can read some of the previous Legends feedback we've received by clicking here.

Farmer, John Position: Goalkeeper

Made his debut on 7/12/1974 at home to Everton more »»

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farmer, Kevin Position: Forward/centre-back

Made his debut on 17/12/1977 at Ipswich Town more »»

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farrington, John Position: Right winger

Made his debut on 18/10/1969 at home to Bristol City more »»

Feeley, Andrew Position: Midfielder/right-back

Made his debut on 10/3/1984 at Manchester United more »»

Fenton, Graham Position: Forward

Made his debut on 13/8/97 at Liverpool more »»

Fenwick, Terence Position: Defender

Made his debut on 27/10/1990 at home to Ipswich Town more »»

Ferdinand, Les Position: Forward

Scored on his debut on 16/8/2003 at home to Southampton more »»

Fern, Rodney Position: Forward

Made his debut on 3/2/1968 at home to Leeds United more »»

Fincham, Gordon Position: Centre-half

Made his debut on 6/4/1953 at Rotherham United more »»

Findlay, William Position: Wing-half

Made his debut on 19/9/1925 at Newcastle United more »»

Fitzpatrick, Gary Position: Winger

Made his debut on 5/5/1990 at home to Sheffield United more »»

Fitzpatrick, Paul Position: Sweeper/centre-back

Made his debut on 17/8/1991 at Swindon Town more »»

Flanagan, William Position: Inside-forward

Made his debut on 27/11/1897 at Burton Swifts more »»

Fletcher, Thomas Position: Forward

Made his debut on 12/4/1902 at Doncaster Rovers more »»

Flint, J. Position: Outside-right

Made his debut on 4/10/1890 at home to Burton Wanderers more »»

Flowers, Tim Position: Goalkeeper

Made his debut on 7/8/1999 at Arsenal more »»

Ford, Gary Position: Winger

Made his debut on 15/8/1987 at home to Shrewsbury Town more »»

Foster, James Position: Half-back

Made his debut on 1/9/1900 at home to Stockport County more »»

Frame, William Position: Right-back

Made his debut on 6/10/1934 at Tottenham Hotspur more »»

Freebairn, William Position: Outside-right

Made his debut on 5/9/1896 at home to Darwen more »»

Freeman, Levi Position: Inside-left

Made his debut on 17/9/1892 at Mansfield Town more »»

Frettingham, John Position: Inside-left

Made his debut on 24/12/1982 at Wednesbury Old Athletic more »»

Freund, Steffen Position: Midfielder

Made his debut on 7/2/2004 at Newcastle more »»

Friar, John Paul Position: Left-back

Made his debut on 17/1/1981 at home to Leeds United more »»

Froggatt, Jack Position: Outside-left/centre-half

Made his debut on 6/3/1954 at home to Bury more »»

Pages: 1 | 2

Fryatt, Matty Position: Forward

Made his debut on 14/1/2006 at Sheffield Wednesday more »»

Fulop, Marton Position: Goalkeeper

Made his debut on 18/8/2007 at Crystal Palace more »»

Fulwood, Benjamin Position: Outside-left

Made his debut on 8/10/1898 at home to Gainsborough Trinity more »»

Furr, Harold Position: Goalkeeper

Made his debut on 28/9/1912 at Huddersfield Town more »»

Furr, William Position: Outside-right

Made his debut on 28/9/1912 at Huddersfield Town more »»

Edited by patong6

I went a bar yesterday night in Phuket Town called Roxy's near to On On Hotel. They had quiz night last night. Great fun and nice people. It was packed. And burger was just awesome! Not expensive at all and it was fresh and homemade. I talked to the owner a bit. He's from Turkey. He said that his family here as well. His mom made the burgers. It's been for ages I didn't have quality food like this. Highly recommended. They have some Mexican food as well. I didn't try yet but must be good. Worth to give a shot.

Edited by patong6

Hi all.

Just to keep you Informed, I have received the following mail from good old Fiddy (James) who I believe received this from a friend of his. Hopefully this has bought this to a conclusion, or has It??

Hi Fiddy,Sandy,

Read that stuff on Scotty it's amazing guys have been gone from here for years but still reminiscing about the place.Scotty's real name is Leslie Foster as of Christmas he was still going in Perth but a lot weaker and talking that as soon as he got some money together he would be back in Bangkok,last i heard in Bkk he was staying on Asok still with time share contacts.I suppose that as he relies on state health care they get a bit pissed off when he goes back to Bangkok and then reappears in bits again.The next time i am talking to some of the Perth boys i will ask them,one guy who lives here and knows Scotty is going back down in April.

As for the football story they were bar and drink stories so not to be taken too seriously although he impressed a lot of people and remained the center of attention longer than would probably be normal.One guy years ago also from Perth was talking to Scotty and when it transpired that Scotty was an ex Leicester city player he thought all his birthdays had come at once,I imagine that Scotty was thinking why didn't i say Portsmouth or some other crowd,months later after the guy had done his homework and came back Scotty was no where to be seen.I never bothered to try and check up the truth about his football stories,he didn't play for Leicester but it didn't matter.

The bar on Sai Namyen the first guy i knew who owned it was old Bob from the Black magic bar he sold it to Arthur who sold it to Noel then Scotty i do remember the timeshare guy Les and the Bob.

Take care,

John.

So has It???

Dare I ask when did old Bob have the bar??

Who was Arthur and Noel??

Lets see what transpires from here.

In the mean time I'd like to thank you all for your assistance In this matter, even though It was just for a bit of fun, and to fill In some spare time.

Just goes to show that the old boy net work In Patong works, and long may It continue.

Best regards.

Edited by patong6

Hi all.

Just to keep you Informed, I have received the following mail from good old Fiddy (James) who I believe received this from a friend of his. Hopefully this has bought this to a conclusion, or has It??

Hi Fiddy,Sandy,

Read that stuff on Scotty it's amazing guys have been gone from here for years but still reminiscing about the place.Scotty's real name is Leslie Foster as of Christmas he was still going in Perth but a lot weaker and talking that as soon as he got some money together he would be back in Bangkok,last i heard in Bkk he was staying on Asok still with time share contacts.I suppose that as he relies on state health care they get a bit pissed off when he goes back to Bangkok and then reappears in bits again.The next time i am talking to some of the Perth boys i will ask them,one guy who lives here and knows Scotty is going back down in April.

As for the football story they were bar and drink stories so not to be taken too seriously although he impressed a lot of people and remained the center of attention longer than would probably be normal.One guy years ago also from Perth was talking to Scotty and when it transpired that Scotty was an ex Leicester city player he thought all his birthdays had come at once,I imagine that Scotty was thinking why didn't i say Portsmouth or some other crowd,months later after the guy had done his homework and came back Scotty was no where to be seen.I never bothered to try and check up the truth about his football stories,he didn't play for Leicester but it didn't matter.

The bar on Sai Namyen the first guy i knew who owned it was old Bob from the Black magic bar he sold it to Arthur who sold it to Noel then Scotty i do remember the timeshare guy Les and the Bob.

Take care,

John.

So has It???

Dare I ask when did old Bob have the bar??

Who was Arthur and Noel??

Lets see what transpires from here.

In the mean time I'd like to thank you all for your assistance In this matter, even though It was just for a bit of fun, and to fill In some spare time.

Just goes to show that the old boy net work In Patong works, and long may It continue.

Best regards.

Patong history. Arthur (deliberatley) drank himself to death after losing his baby child in a tragic accident. I last saw Noel about six years ago, but he was in a bad way with emphysema - he was living in Kamala. Les was the violent time share drunk.

Patong history. Arthur (deliberatley) drank himself to death after losing his baby child in a tragic accident. I last saw Noel about six years ago, but he was in a bad way with emphysema - he was living in Kamala. Les was the violent time share drunk.

Hi Bob, how's It all going??

This story just gets sadder & sadder. Thanks for the Info anyway. Your old chum Fiddy (James) sent me this note, just to confirm what you have already said.

hi mate arthur drank himself to death with vodka his legs were so swollen he could not walk I used to drive him home in his own jeep and walk back very

sad

cheers fiddy

Bob.

What year did old bob / Arthur have the bar??

Speak soon

Bob

Probably about 1997/98. Noel had it for a couple of years and Les had it for a few months before it was closed. Let me explain a king hit. This means a huge punch to someone who is not expecting it.

Les hit a big Aussie bloke who worked on the oilrigs. The big bloke, who lived in the apartments behind the bar, got up and beat the daylights out of him.

After a while the Aussie bloke amused himself by really beating up Les every now and then, just for fun, which is why he closed the bar and took off to Pattaya.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at a Chef friends' house for dinner (Fantastic Cajun Food) the other night when he told me that he had a great burger at Freedom Bar. "You know the place," he said... "where all the ex-gangsters hang out in Rawai..."

He said the burger was the best burger on the Island. I, knowing darn well he has gone and tried them all, felt compelled to listen. He eats Hamburgers almost everyday, and he is one to trust when it comes to Great Burgers!

This place is called Charlie's Diner and they have other stuff as well. I have been 3 times already, (he has been like 15 times) and took some photos with my camera and have attached them as well. Check out the Fries! These are french fries, not that fat soaked, wax crap you get at the "New Big Mike's". I have never met the "New Big Mike", but I hear he is a real meaney.

He calls people and screams at them. As a matter of fact, he called a friend and cussed him out for giving out his private number.

Currently I am airbrushing the Owner's private number on all of my Trucks. Please direct complaints there.

At least Charlie's Diner has the sense enough to have a Farang with Burger Experience cooking, rather than being the absentee owner that "New Big Mike" is. Let the Thai's cook the Thai food, not the burgers.

Move to the Circle and think you can just buy a burger joint and it will run itself. Smart.

Enjoy the photos! Tell Ailsa Todd sent you! She is the gorgeous Blonde from Newcastle who cooks the burgers!!!!

todd

post-61156-1238473216_thumb.jpg

post-61156-1238473245_thumb.jpg

post-61156-1238473310_thumb.jpg

Edited by flamingtodd

is that charlie's dinnr place IN freedom bar? i saw someone cooking burger that smelled intensely good the other day by the bar.

Please answer fast, i want to go buy those fries today.

Well he dose say he had a great burger at Freedom bar and the place is called Charles Dinner. So if you put 2+2 together :o

YES! ! ! Freedom Bar!

This burger deserves a new thread!

I am another American and Burger Lover completely embarrassed by this situation! How can you screw up a hamburger when you are from Colorado/Arizona/Louisanna/New York or wherever "NBM" claims he's from! Met him once and he seems Canadian with a really short fuse that needs serious medication, not Sang Som!

If anyone wants a great burger, Charlie's is the place.

Big Mike would be so ashamed of what his joint got turned into.

Jason

YES! ! ! Freedom Bar!

This burger deserves a new thread!

I am another American and Burger Lover completely embarrassed by this situation! How can you screw up a hamburger when you are from Colorado/Arizona/Louisanna/New York or wherever "NBM" claims he's from! Met him once and he seems Canadian with a really short fuse that needs serious medication, not Sang Som!

If anyone wants a great burger, Charlie's is the place.

Big Mike would be so ashamed of what his joint got turned into.

Jason

What a coincidence.

A pal of mine at breakfast this morning said that was a great burger.

His advice though was to go with the "Wolf Burger" (?), as he said the normal burger was just that, normal.

I'll give it a go this weekend.

i wonder if i am the one who's confused or you guys are

YES FREEDOM BAR

then you mention charlie's

apples and bananas

Funny.. I always understood Charlie owned / ran freedom bar..

Oooh ... not to worry LOS. Notasexpat is always very confused when he tries to get involved in this forum.

I have never met the "New Big Mike", but I hear he is a real meaney.

He calls people and screams at them. As a matter of fact, he called a friend and cussed him out for giving out his private number.

I wonder if that is the original Hamburger Mike from Chiang Mai. He was famous for yelling at people here when he owned Hamburger Mikes too! He even yelled at me! :o

YES FREEDOM BAR

apples and bananas

Tell you the best way to find it, notafruitsalad...

Go to Freedom bar, ask to speak to Charlie. Tell him you want a burger, and then ask him to draw you a map to "New Big Mikes".

He will sort you out.

You need a new screen name.

How about notasmartfella, or isafreggintard.

Think before you post!

Jason

YES FREEDOM BAR

apples and bananas

Tell you the best way to find it, notafruitsalad...

Go to Freedom bar, ask to speak to Charlie. Tell him you want a burger, and then ask him to draw you a map to "New Big Mikes".

He will sort you out.

You need a new screen name.

How about notasmartfella, or isafreggintard.

Think before you post!

Jason

HA !!

My suggestion for his new screen name sharp-as-a-marble