Insane Big Sport Bike Prices!

karlos

For me Red Baron (I've been there) is pretty sht hot when it comes to servicing bikes.

They are professional and don't allow pictures to be taken of the bikes. The reason for this is that other 'rival' bike shops could try to pass off their bikes as being serviced and maintained by Red Baron. I really feel I could trust a big bike from them.

I now have a second hand CBR 400, it only cost me 75k baht and came with green book and plates. All Legit and in my name :D All from a local big bike dealer in Prachuap Kiri Khan,

It's years old but gets me all over Thailand with no hassles.

If you want a cheap big bike you need to get out of the tourist cities and head to the small provincial cities. Get amoungst the biker gangs and clubs, they know the areas where the big bike dealers are and have the best bargains.

I was in Hua Hin and lamented the prices on offer there, I headed south and found better deals were to be had :o

Speaking Thai is a must though.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't that impressed with the service Red Baron did on my CBR , They managed to put another dent in the tank and didn't really fix the problem I took it there for . Of course it was under warranty so there was no money to be made either .

Will be over there in a couple of weeks to chase a part up .

Like they say , they are the best of a bad situation . :o

For me Red Baron (I've been there) is pretty sht hot when it comes to servicing bikes.

They are professional and don't allow pictures to be taken of the bikes.

Really :D

Think again....... :o

I have and I've had no problems with them so for me its my ship goes their way and yours obviously doesn't :D

I have and I've had no problems with them so for me its my ship goes their way and yours obviously doesn't :D

Yup.

I go there for supplies. Such as oil and filters.

I do all the work myself on my bike. Wheel changes, engine work, etc. I get comfort knowing that everything is torqued to spec when I finish with my bike.

Most Thai mechanic don't know what a torque wrench is. Also most can't arsed to check the correct specs, if they have the manuals that is.

So that means a new R1 will cost he best part of £16,000, SWEET MOTHER OF GOD ALIVE!!!!!!

I think i'll end up importing an R1 engine then fit it to a tuk tuk if prices are near double that of the uk market :S

Karl :o

So that means a new R1 will cost he best part of £16,000, SWEET MOTHER OF GOD ALIVE!!!!!!

I think i'll end up importing an R1 engine then fit it to a tuk tuk if prices are near double that of the uk market :S

They are only near double at the tops end.. Lower down its more like triple or quad !!!

Bet that makes you feel better !!

That will handle well Karl NOT!

Make sure you don't forget to get your tuk tuk licence....ohh and pay tax on your R1 engine on the way in.

Yes these prices are a joke, just not a very funny one.

Lexus don't have full dealerships in Thailand either.

It is what it is.

Red Baron is the best of a bad situation.

A best that's not good enough... I opted out before Kawa came along with the good prices. You always have the choice not to spend 2x of the fair value on something, even if it's the only offer in town.

It's all about what you want and your perspective. 18 months ago I paid what was then about 18K US$ for a new Ducati from the dealer, including registration. 2 year warranty. Same bike in the US listed for 10-11K. Not once have I said "oh, it wasn't worth it". It's just the way it is here. You want the bike or you don't. One thing for sure, it keeps the 1/2 way guys in their Sunnys and Celicas. :o

Edited by Netfan

It's all about what you want and your perspective. 18 months ago I paid what was then about 18K US$ for a new Ducati from the dealer, including registration. 2 year warranty. Same bike in the US listed for 10-11K. Not once have I said "oh, it wasn't worth it". It's just the way it is here. You want the bike or you don't. One thing for sure, it keeps the 1/2 way guys in their Sunnys and Celicas. :o

Well stated Netfan.

When I came to Asia first time I was shocked with bike prices but it never crossed my mind to give up on riding classy big bike.

Thailand and Singapore prices aren't that bad after all, you should see Malaysia or Indonesia....crazy.

Well done to Kawasaki for rewriting the whole pricing structure of big bikes in Thailand. Shock waves must be resonating through the whole used bike industry.

Cheers

One of the reasons I didnt want to sink a few 100k into a second hand machine for the last year or so, as I suspected new arrivals competing will pressure the entire price spectrum. At 225 for brand new why you gonna drop 180 on some 5+ year old no known history oddball plate kinda thing.

Well stated Netfan.

When I came to Asia first time I was shocked with bike prices but it never crossed my mind to give up on riding classy big bike.

Thailand and Singapore prices aren't that bad after all, you should see Malaysia or Indonesia....crazy.

I agree with what you have said Netfan, HOWEVER, if you were looking to buy this week & if you examin my currency, I can get a Ducati 1098S in Australia for about AUD$ 34,000 on road, BUT here its 1,550,000 THB. Converting back with the current very poor exchange rate, thats almost $68,000 AUD. So it is double, give or take a couple of satang. I don't know about you, but thats certainly enuf to keep me in the market looking for other options. Naturally, if you have an endless supply of money you may choose to throw it away, but then again people who have a good money supply didnt make it by engaging in bad deals.

Edited by neverdie

Well stated Netfan.

I agree with what you have said Netfan, HOWEVER, if you were looking to buy this week & if you examin my currency, I can get a Ducati 1098S in Australia for about AUD$ 34,000 on road, BUT here its 1,550,000 THB. Converting back with the current very poor exchange rate, thats almost $68,000 AUD. So it is double, give or take a couple of satang. I don't know about you, but thats certainly enuf to keep me in the market looking for other options. Naturally, if you have an endless supply of money you may choose to throw it away, but then again people who have a good money supply didnt make it by engaging in bad deals.

Point taken. No doubt it is a bit insane to pay what we pay here. But its what the price is. A new R1 lists in the US for $12,390, around 430,000 baht. It lists here for 717,000. But I completely understand someone buying one here. Throwing the money away? Not really. Two reasons. The re-sale is higher here. Used GT's in the US are $6.5 K (225,000 baht), while here I could still get 500,000 baht for mine. Second, I love the bike. If I had the money for the new Ducati Streetfighter I'd go for it, wouldn't matter that I'd be paying 70% more than I would in the states- I'm here. And a bit insane.

Yup.

I go there for supplies. Such as oil and filters.

I do all the work myself on my bike. Wheel changes, engine work, etc. I get comfort knowing that everything is torqued to spec when I finish with my bike.

Most Thai mechanic don't know what a torque wrench is. Also most can't arsed to check the correct specs, if they have the manuals that is.

Where can a decent torque wrench be bought in BKK

Well stated Netfan.

The whole thing is... There aren't any other 'Options' if you want a top end large cc bike..

Like Netfan say's, You either pay or you don't play...

Your only choice is to settle for less than what you wanted in the first place..

Too my mind going out front everyday a getting on a scooter or small cc mass market bike would annoy me long after I had stopped thinking about the cash.. Knowing you should have bought what you really wanted is a horible feeling to live with..

So.. You can either..

1.Man up with the cash..

2.Settle for second best

3.Wait in hope for things to change

4.Return to farang land and buy the bike you want and dream about living in Thailand

5.Forget the whole thing

Obviously the market is evolving here and the release of a 650cc modern bike for a great price (my mate just bought one) is a step forward. Secondhand Harley prices have come down too since Powerstation opened but in reality if you want a 'premium' bike here BMW, Ducati, Harley or Triumph you only have a choice between full price brand new or high priced secondhand...

Maybe in the next year or so you will be able to buy 1000cc Kwaka's and Honda's here at a decent price (kinda like locally produced trucks are cheaper than imported cars) But until either all duties are done away with or Ducati/Harley etc start assembling bikes here you will have to pay up if you want one.

I've compromised.. I'd really like a Porsche Cayman or an Audi TT. If I still lived in the West I'd buy one for cash tommorow...But I won't pay the Thai price for one here. I've settled for a Hilux (practical and cheap) and spent soem of the cash I saved on a Ducati.. Meanwhile I'm looking for a cheap classic car to restore for fun..

Of course it doesn't all boil down to how much you want something.. It depends on what you can afford. After all even in the States where cars are 'cheap' there are thousands of guys who'd love a Ferrari but still will never be able to afford one... Funny how here in Thailand we almost think it should be our 'right' to buy a 'luxury' item cheaply.. How many Thais can ever hope to spend 600K + on a motorbike ?

Netfan, I still agree with you :D .

Pdaz, I also agree with you :D (how did that happen twice). You really had me laughing :D:D:wai: with your line about wanting the Porche or Audi TT and settling for a Hilux! YOU ARE A VERY FUNNY MAN, but point taken. By the way I am an avid Hilux fan, a much more practical vehicle than a Porche Cayman. Hey the new Audi TT is looking rather sleek, they have certainly made some improvements on that one.

I understand the theory of not paying, not playing....hel_l im living that right now. As I have only technically been in the market for a few months & as I won't be ready to purchase until later this year, I guess I am happy to sit back see what others are doing, check the market out & will probably end up settling for something a bit short of what I actually desire. Having said that, I have been chatting with another TV member who is getting his ER6N shortly & whilst he also probably would have chosen another bike if he had unlimited fund, hes managed to only cough up 225,000 baht & no matter what way you look at it HES GOING TO HAVE A RIOT OF FUN ON IT! Afterall, sometimes it just comes down to rolling along with the wind in ur face, as opposed to exactly what beast you hold between ur legs :P

Anyway, let me know if you get that Audi or Porche.....I'll come help you stretch its legs :jerk:

In the mean time, I'm just gonna go outside and rev up my 150 a bit more :o

Edited by neverdie

Or sell ya 150, i presume its a cbr, add a bit to the pot and get ya self an Er6 then pay about 6,000 a month on the finance. easy.....................uuuummmmmmmm maybe :D

(mind you if it was that easy why am i not doing it...... oh yes i remember i'm a cheap charley :o )

Glad to see you ain't gonna get bitter and twisted about it.. Think that the situation is much better now anyhow.. The new ER6n is a large enough cc bike to enable guys to 'tour' on it.. Runs to 'bike weeks' and all over Thailand should be posible with far more comfort than you could expect from a 150cc machine..

My mate who's picking up his ER6 next week was just about ready to pony up for the Triumph Street Triple.. (A more interesting and fun bike IMO) But for the sort of use it's gonna get he couldn't rationalise paying more than double the cost to buy one. The Kawa will probably suit his needs 90% of the time.. In the West the Kawa is seen as a bit of an entry level all rounder and would never be compared with the Triumph.. But here in Thailand a new 650cc twin puts you firmly in the top 10% of the biking community and has heaps of 'street cred' In fact I won't be suprised if it generates more interest than my Duc.. Mainly cos Thais know what a Kawasaki is... and haven't a clue what D U C A T I even spells :o ..

As for the Porsche/Audi thing.. Well I just hate four door cars.. Unfortunately here 2 doors are rarer than hen's teeth and anything slightly sporty costs ''an arm and a leg'' So now trying to find an old Mk2 Golf or Peugeot GTi. These are cheap to buy here ( though rare ) and there are hundreds of performance goodies available cheaply on the net... This seems to be the only way to get something sporty and reasonbly priced.. There's no way I can live with a Jazz or Yaris no matter how much you can modify them... So until then it's 2 door hilux all the way.. Depreciation is a lot less here for cars than the West but I can't get my head round 8mil baht for an M3 etc.... Noooooooooooooo !

1.Man up with the cash..

2.Settle for second best

4.Return to farang land and buy the bike you want and dream about living in Thailand

5.Forget the whole thing

6 Find a bargain..

I regularly find deals that make peoples head spin.. You just have to work at it..

Recently picked up a fully registered 900 blade for a price that this forum would have you believe was impossible !!

Edited by LivinLOS

So now trying to find an old Mk2 Golf or Peugeot GTi.

Front wheel drive tho isnt it ?? I have a type 3 Golf here (non GTI / VR6 tho :o ) but for me its not a FWD hot hatch just isnt a sports car.. I would look for an old 325 and work with that as a base, BMW rear wheel drive much more appealing to slide about..

1.Man up with the cash..

2.Settle for second best

5.Forget the whole thing

6 Find a bargain..

I regularly find deals that make peoples head spin.. You just have to work at it..

Recently picked up a fully registered 900 blade for a price that this forum would have you believe was impossible !!

Yes they are out there to be had.. Just need to keep your eyes open.. With the eco downturn there are gonna be alot of guys who might have to return to farangland.. Selling their bike at a discount in the process.. Yesterday saw a Yam Tracker 250 supermoto.. 7 Month old 99k on foodlans notice board.. 50k saving ! Lot's of Harleys going 'cheap' too if you are looking.. But generally most guys don't want to wait for Months to find their dream bike.. Or if they do see one they hesitate and it's too late.. Another thing obviously is because of the high value there are a lot of old dogs fixed up by Thais keen to make a buck... Buyer beware big time !