Baby Rescued From Garbage Bin In Bangkok

george

Baby rescued from garbage bin in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A baby appearing to be about three months old was found in a garbage bin in front a house in Bangkok's Suan Luang district Wednesday morning.

The boy, wrapped in blue towel, was found in the garbage bin on Soi Onnuj 60 at 8 am.

An identification and social security card of Chidchai Inson, 44, a Lop Buri resident, were found with the baby.

Warin Khuinok, 35, a road sweeper, told police that she saw a young man carrying the baby before the baby was found inside the garbage bin later. The young man asked her if she knew a man, called Chai.

-- The Nation 2009-01-21

Truly dispicable :o

Such acts of human selfishness can never be condoned, no matter what his/her circumstances were in order to do such a thing. So i've been told the Thai authorities have a condition, when an unwanted child arrives at the doorstep. The condition is "financial evidence" the biological parents or parent, must show and meet a certain criterion in order to hand their unwanted baby over.. Otherwise these orphanages are not obliged to take in unwanted children. So i guess rubbish bins are, and will continue to be a cheaper more simple option to many teenage parents out there..

Until they get caught that is..

1) It might help if Thailand would allow paternity tests for legal use.

2) It might not be well known in tourist areas, but in more rural regions it happens more and more that with the decline of the extended family,women, who have to go out working and do not find a baby sitter in their family, or can not afford one, put kids in cages while they go working.

:o

As sad as this is, it seems that perhaps the person putting the baby in the bin was making sure that someone found it--the street sweeper, perhaps? I don't know. There is no excuse for such behavior.

I hope the baby is OK.

Yes, 'Scott', that baby was put where he was bound to be found very quickly.

Clearly, this isn't a case of a new born baby being abandoned in a panic.

More likely, a young couple at their wits' ends from being made redundant giving the little one at least a chance.

It doesn't say when the baby appears last to have had food.

It is hard for us who have always had welfare provision to fall back on as our last resort to know how we would react if destitute and hopeless.

I read recently that it was not unknown in the past for adults to sell themselves into slavery as their last resort when destitute.

So let's suspend our judgmentalism and try to get understanding.

Unfortunately there never seem to be any follow up stories on cases like this that would help the acquisition of understanding. The papers seem to just move on to the next "Shock, Horror"-inducing titbit. In these modern times, we need a 'Charles Dickens' as much as former times to enlighten us.

Actually, it’s a terrible inheritance story.

The baby has been snatch from his real parents by an unscrupulous relative in order to claim an unelected official position. Once the claim has been successful, the baby has been unceremoniously dumped into a garbage bin.

According to our sources, the baby name is Democracy and the unscrupulous relative is known under the alias of Abhy V.

Yes, 'Scott', that baby was put where he was bound to be found very quickly.

Clearly, this isn't a case of a new born baby being abandoned in a panic.

More likely, a young couple at their wits' ends from being made redundant giving the little one at least a chance.

It doesn't say when the baby appears last to have had food.

It is hard for us who have always had welfare provision to fall back on as our last resort to know how we would react if destitute and hopeless.

I read recently that it was not unknown in the past for adults to sell themselves into slavery as their last resort when destitute.

So let's suspend our judgmentalism and try to get understanding.

Unfortunately there never seem to be any follow up stories on cases like this that would help the acquisition of understanding. The papers seem to just move on to the next "Shock, Horror"-inducing titbit. In these modern times, we need a 'Charles Dickens' as much as former times to enlighten us.

I agree with you

Sorry for being a bit more judgmental than I should have been when I said "there is no excuse for such behavior." It's very sad that this happens, but it might have been the only option available at the time. What I have trouble with is abandoning a child in a garbage bin. Maybe in a shopping mall or other place where the baby is sure to be found. Maybe they are afraid of being 'caught on tape'. But still....a garbage bin? This seems like it is saying something about what they think of the baby.

Too bad there isn't some follow up.