Failed Swift Transfer

On 9 December 2008 I arranged, by secure email, to transfer 4,000 GBP from my account in Smile Bank (UK - part of The Co-operative Bank) to my account in TMB Bank, at the Pattaya branch. I have done this successfully several times before, and just cut and paste the details to ensure the SWIFT code and account number are correct. So far, 6 weeks later, my Thai account has not been credited. I have requested that Smile make a trace, for which they want an additional 15 pounds, and have raised their apparent lack of urgency in doing this via their complaints procedure. Both so far to no avail. I tried raising the matter with TMB but, after a quick on-screen check, got the old "no speak English" routine; and if they have never received the money there is no point in making a fuss there. Is there anything more I can usefully do? This money was intended to cover a 3 month stay in Fun City and I am currently dependent on credit card use, typically charging 5.25%. I feel powerless caught between 2 large banks unwilling to take responsibility. No doubt others have had similar problems. Any advice? :o:D

On 9 December 2008 I arranged, by secure email, to transfer 4,000 GBP from my account in Smile Bank (UK - part of The Co-operative Bank) to my account in TMB Bank, at the Pattaya branch. I have done this successfully several times before, and just cut and paste the details to ensure the SWIFT code and account number are correct. So far, 6 weeks later, my Thai account has not been credited. I have requested that Smile make a trace, for which they want an additional 15 pounds, and have raised their apparent lack of urgency in doing this via their complaints procedure. Both so far to no avail. I tried raising the matter with TMB but, after a quick on-screen check, got the old "no speak English" routine; and if they have never received the money there is no point in making a fuss there. Is there anything more I can usefully do? This money was intended to cover a 3 month stay in Fun City and I am currently dependent on credit card use, typically charging 5.25%. I feel powerless caught between 2 large banks unwilling to take responsibility. No doubt others have had similar problems. Any advice? :o:D

See my reply on the similar topic re Nationwide - which I note you have read.

Sent on the 9th December, presumably you did not leave it until now to chase. You should have a response in 7/10 working days from the trace, same comment about charge - if Smile have cocked-up I am sure they will not charge. Otherwise the error lies somewhere else and the GBP 15 is worth paying to get the correct answer.

You can always tell Smile later that you will be closing your account (and transferring to Nationwide) if they insist on charging the GBP 15.