Wedding Venues & Accomodation In Phuket

SamAndEst

Hi guys. We're Brits currently living in Oz.

We plan to marry to marry early 2010 and have chosen Thailand for many reasons (ceremony only, not legal marriage). We have spent over 7 months there in total and have a real love of the place and people; it is also between us and the UK which means that friends and family back there will find it easier to attend.

We originally were going to get married in Samui but the more we look into it the more we are thinking Phuket. It's cheaper and easier to get from both Oz and the UK now thanks to Air Asia, and this will mean some of our family who may have struggled with Samui can now get there.

Problem is, we've never been to Phuket on our Thai travels as we often go to places a little out of the way. We're doing a reccie trip in Feb for a week to check out venues and hotels etc and would love some ideas and suggestions for wedding venues, reception party and also companies who operate out there.

We don't want anything over the top; perhaps a beach or hillside wedding and a venue (hired restaurant or bar fine) for a party at night with a Thai buffet, perfect!!! We want to avoid Patong and the like but I guess equally don't want to take guests out to the sticks and limit their accomodation choices etc too much. We're happy not to stay where the wedding would be to increase our choices, and likewise don't necessarily have to have the reception exactly where the wedding takes place.

Our ideal day would be a sunset wedding on a quiet beach (ie away from uninvited onlookers!) then reception in a small hired venue for 20-30 people with music, Thai buffet and a decent bar.

Any ideas would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks, Sam & Est

There is a wealth of information on the subject by Googling weddings phuket, with personal reviews from couples who have experienced a wedding on Phuket Island

Yes, we have also used Google as part of our research thanks. I'm sure those living in or very familiar with familiar with Phuket will be able to provide ideas that may not necessarily be easily found via a search engine however.

Cheers,

S&E

Yes, we have also used Google as part of our research thanks. I'm sure those living in or very familiar with familiar with Phuket will be able to provide ideas that may not necessarily be easily found via a search engine however.

Doubt this is the best forum to get sensible replies to your question.... :D Quite honestly the search engine will provide the best possible information for you ... :o I've just gone through the Google links and I consider them excellent. ...

To the Phuket residents - Strange that none of you guys out there don't know any quiet beaches/good locations at the very least to help out these people :D

How many forum members have actually participated in a formal Phuket beach wedding ? I suspect very few, and maybe they just PMed the OP rather than be the recipient of rude replies on the main board ... :o

(LivingInKata, you pessimist!! :o ).

I can see you are newbies ... :D My pessimism is well founded from my observations during my relatively short time as a member, and longer time (10 years) as a guest.

Jesus Christmas, LIK if you don't have good info for the OP why don't you just not type a reply.................what nonsense.....

OP-in my business I see pretty much all these places.

Karon Beach Resort-right on the sand baby and Alain the GM is a great guy, they'll get that arranged for you. If the digs there are a little pricey for part of the family just down the street is The Orchid Resort, a sister hotel whose rates are really reasonable. I just wouldn't recommend it, for the actual wedding

Kata Beach Resort-a bit bigger and not as secluded, but I've seen weddings come off fine there.

The above three are part of The Kata Group.

The Sheraton Laguna-has an actual little wedding chapel on a lake near the sea. Very nice, but maybe a little pricey.

Andaman White Beach Resort-very secluded and truly a special spot. Probably a bit pricey

The Evason-massive resort, definitely will have everything you need and will help you sort all. Also, lots of budget accomodations nearby, so maybe you could arrange the event there, take a honeymoon suite for one night and bring everyone else in from the outside.

The Novotel Cape Panwa Beach Resort-secluded a bit far from everything but nice, on the water, the GM Blandine is a gem.

The New Centara Karon Beach-will probably be finished by then, the complex so far looks massive. Right on the beach.

The Village at Coconut Island-Koh Kaew, which is just a 5 minute boatride from Phuket. On the water, restaurant right there, could be interesting.

Congratulations on the upcoming date.

Congrats on the nuptials..

You can contact lotta www.lamoet.com as she has helped some friends plan weddings here before on the beach and might have good info. (her primary business is snorkel excursions in Phuket and to Phi Phi but she had been here a long time and knows the ins and outs of getting married on a beach!)

Also if you need a hair and make up girl there is a great English girl doing wedding hair and make up

you can email here at

lisa here email is www.makeupartistphuket.com

Good luck!

Edited by MisterMan
Please pm poster for email address--no emails in posts per forum rules--sbk

I've heard many good things about this group http://www.wedding-phuket.com  and he is a professional photographer and can arrange for pretty much everything.

Another vote here for Thomas at wedding-phuket.com, he is able to cater, organise and photograph events in a very professional way. I have used his service for an event and it was very successful and well managed.

I rest my case ... :o

That in the lack of actual helpful information you prefer to be rude and claim that your time on this forum gives you the insight that no one here can help the OP?

Someone the other day imparted to me that they no longer come to this board because 95% of the responses are negative and that most of the posters here are wanke_rs. Nothing better to do but bitch and moan. Thanks for proving him right LIK.

Someone the other day imparted to me that they no longer come to this board because 95% of the responses are negative and that most of the posters here are wanke_rs. Nothing better to do but bitch and moan.

Completely agree with the 'someone' ... :o

Edited by LivinginKata

Someone the other day imparted to me that they no longer come to this board because 95% of the responses are negative and that most of the posters here are wanke_rs. Nothing better to do but bitch and moan. Thanks for proving him right LIK.

The 95% rule probably applies to almost any internet bulletin board, especially one as diverse as TV imho.

This thread has a pleasantly positive signal/noise ratio probably because the OP posted the original question with some useful background info and followed up with a couple of "thanks" posts.

/LIK is just butthurt because his car is a POS

//jk

///maybe

Great advice and some entertaining banter, thanks guys! Online forums always deliver some interesting characters eh?!

Will keep you updated on our progress, in the meantime has anyone had any experience with the Merlin Beach Resort? It's not what we thought we were looking for (as in it's a big resort) but they seem to do everything we want for a decent price in a decent location. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

S&E

Merlin Beach very popular with Australian families & couples, large scale hotel spread out over a large site, commanding Tri Trang beach. About 6+ years old now, has very good reviews over the years. Amazing swimming pools, which is just a well as the beach is quite rocky as much as the sand was stripped away in the Tsunami. Quite isolated, with few neighbouring shops or restaurants. About a 10 minute ride back to busy Patong. Very good choice for a wedding party.

Edited by LivinginKata

I had a Buddhist wedding ceremony on Surin Beach on Jan 7th at sunset. The reception for 35 was held at the Manathai Resort. Highly recommended as Surin is a lovely beach and everything went well and the food & drink were excellent. Can PM more details if your interested.

Merlin Beach very popular with Australian families & couples, large scale hotel spread out over a large site, commanding Tri Trang beach. About 6+ years old now, has very good reviews over the years. Amazing swimming pools, which is just a well as the beach is quite rocky as much as the sand was stripped away in the Tsunami. Quite isolated, with few neighbouring shops or restaurants. About a 10 minute ride back to busy Patong. Very good choice for a wedding party.

So you do have a sensible contribution to make :o Well done. Good local information for those that do not know the island well.

So you do have a sensible contribution to make :o Well done. Good local information for those that do not know the island well.

Yes, lets all give LIK a pat on the back for making post #6 in this thread something that is actually helpful...............

The poster that said he is angry because his vehicle is a POS also gets a pat on the back as that was quite funny.

Sure, Merlin Ti-Trang is a nice place. I find it interesting because they have two beaches, the one out front (Paradise?) and the one when you walk through the hotel itself. When on the beach where you walk through the hotel itself, I get turned around because I can't really tell which direction I'm facing.........

I did a bit of research on this also for a friend of mine in OZ. I have to agree Merlin would be a good choice, nice area and only a 5/10 minute drive away from Patong.

Its very easy to say "I dont want Patong" but as you say, you dont want your guests in the middle of nowhere and im sure they will be looking to celebrate with a good night out !

In the Merlin Beach area there is also quite a lot of private villa accommodation perfect for wedding parties. One of them I looked at was this one www.yourphuketvilla.com

Not cheap but when you break it down into what you would pay for a room in the Merlin its much better value, well worth a look. Some of the sea views are out of this world.

I never thought Patong had a nice side until I took the time to look around here.

I did a bit of research on this also for a friend of mine in OZ. I have to agree Merlin would be a good choice, nice area and only a 5/10 minute drive away from Patong.

Its very easy to say "I dont want Patong" but as you say, you dont want your guests in the middle of nowhere and im sure they will be looking to celebrate with a good night out !

In the Merlin Beach area there is also quite a lot of private villa accommodation perfect for wedding parties. One of them I looked at was this one www.yourphuketvilla.com

Not cheap but when you break it down into what you would pay for a room in the Merlin its much better value, well worth a look. Some of the sea views are out of this world.

I never thought Patong had a nice side until I took the time to look around here.

Many thanks for this and also to Sir Dougless, Donna and LIK (and anyone else I have missed) for the feedback on the resort and surrounding area and the recommendation of Surin Beach, we will check it out. Great work! Once we have a shortlist of places for wedding/reception we'll be sure to let you know and see what your thoughts are.

Cheers,

S&E

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am trying to plan my wedding in Phuket at the moment we want it in December 2009. There are way too many options and a lot of them are very expensive. I have also looked at Tom and i think his packages look the best. I am really struggling to find a reception venue and accomodation. Katathani resort is near kata and it looks very nice but i just got prices and dinner for the reception is good at about $50 per head but drinks are not cheap.. they charge by the hour and it works out to be $126 per person for 5 hrs based on 15 people. Im pretty sure i will go with Tom;s super delux beach wedding but i am really stuck for a reception venue.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys. We're Brits currently living in Oz.

We plan to marry to marry early 2010 and have chosen Thailand for many reasons (ceremony only, not legal marriage). We have spent over 7 months there in total and have a real love of the place and people; it is also between us and the UK which means that friends and family back there will find it easier to attend.

We originally were going to get married in Samui but the more we look into it the more we are thinking Phuket. It's cheaper and easier to get from both Oz and the UK now thanks to Air Asia, and this will mean some of our family who may have struggled with Samui can now get there.

Problem is, we've never been to Phuket on our Thai travels as we often go to places a little out of the way. We're doing a reccie trip in Feb for a week to check out venues and hotels etc and would love some ideas and suggestions for wedding venues, reception party and also companies who operate out there.

We don't want anything over the top; perhaps a beach or hillside wedding and a venue (hired restaurant or bar fine) for a party at night with a Thai buffet, perfect!!! We want to avoid Patong and the like but I guess equally don't want to take guests out to the sticks and limit their accomodation choices etc too much. We're happy not to stay where the wedding would be to increase our choices, and likewise don't necessarily have to have the reception exactly where the wedding takes place.

Our ideal day would be a sunset wedding on a quiet beach (ie away from uninvited onlookers!) then reception in a small hired venue for 20-30 people with music, Thai buffet and a decent bar.

Any ideas would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks, Sam & Est

HI sAM,

I came across your message on here and i thought we might be able to swap some idea about!? we are also planning to get married in phuket ealry 2010 probably April as it seems to come down a bit in price!

We have been to phuket 2 times now and love it! Stayed in Karon which is just outside kata and near to patong.

We are thinking of somewhere in Karon or Kata for our big day as its quiter than patong but very nice.

We are going out this coming April to have another look around at venues and get more of an idea of the place. We are staying at the Centara Karon hotel which is very nice.

How are you guys getting on with your plans?

We woudl be happy to help you with anything, (im not sayign im an expert but if i can help you in anyway i will try)

Thanks

Michelle

• 1 month later...

Hi Michelle. Sounds good; we'll keep you updated.

Update for everyone who has helped us so far:

We've decided to get married at the Mangosteen, near Rawai and have about 5 days or so there. Great views, we're dealing with the owner/manager rather than an employee and they have offered us some great concessions. They also gave us the most confidence that they'll do what they say they will whereas a number of the others we felt were just saying 'Yes, no problem' but not offering any solutions or ideas to back it up. And did I mention the island bar has happy hour on Chang?!

So we'll have about a week prior to our stay at the Mangosteen in Kata Noi or the southern end of Kata so that us and our guests can have a bit of fun on the beach and in the bars etc and be bit a bit closer to the action. We'd love to stay at the Katathani, mainly because of location; it doesn't have that main road that Kata suffers with and the beach is great, but their prices are ridiculous. We contacted them directly and spoken to a few operators but still way above what we are willing to pay and can get in Kata and on the headland between the two for similar accommodation.

Anyone got any ideas where we can either get better pricing for the Katathani or of decent places to stay nearby? We'd like to be fairly close to the beach and also to be a good range of accommodation nearby for differing budgets. There are a couple of cheap places at the north end of Kata Noi that seem ok for those on a budget, though we didn't check them out.

Thanks in advance.

Sam & Est