Us-$ Cd Rates At Record Low

My investment bank is offering the below CD yields, but a simple Google search will show lots of CD with 1-2% points higher yield.

What is the best strategy to get the best yield on US-$ CD’s?

Do you just start contacting different banks to get quotes or is there a better approach?

NB: I live in Thailand, but my funds are in the US, so I guess it is Thai related as others could be in a similar situation.

post-67623-1232693058_thumb.jpg

Do you just start contacting different banks to get quotes or is there a better approach?

Do you have any account with the brokerage firm, in which you can go online to look them up?

I have accounts with Fidelity and it shows cds from 100's of diff banks to choose from

But I agree, most of them are just 1-2% short term :o

Do you have any account with the brokerage firm, in which you can go online to look them up?

I have accounts with Fidelity and it shows cds from 100's of diff banks to choose from

But I agree, most of them are just 1-2% short term :o

Yes, I do have an account with ML, but it only list the yields by 6, 9 12, etc. months CD's, not by individual banks.

Can you show a screen dumo of the different rates and banks Fidelity is offering?

Gents, Thanks for all the good links. My goal is to get a 2 years CD with a 3% yield.

Robert

not a wise decision Robert as interest rates will definitely rise again much earlier.

I agree Naam, once inflation numbers start to match unemployment numbers (7-10%), then CD yield should follow, but I don't have a lot of options. ML is only offering me 1.1% for 9 months CD's :o .

Robert

Gents, Thanks for all the good links. My goal is to get a 2 years CD with a 3% yield.

Robert

not a wise decision Robert as interest rates will definitely rise again much earlier.

I agree Naam, once inflation numbers start to match unemployment numbers (7-10%), then CD yield should follow, but I don't have a lot of options. ML is only offering me 1.1% for 9 months CD's :o .

Robert

hmmm... dàmn if you do, dàmn if you don't. :D

Robert

If you checked the Fatwallet link I provided, you would see a number of 2 year CDs for 3.5% more or less.

The Fatwallet link is good, but the yields are from December 12th and that is a long time ago.

Robert

Robert

If you checked the Fatwallet link I provided, you would see a number of 2 year CDs for 3.5% more or less.

The Fatwallet link is good, but the yields are from December 12th and that is a long time ago.

Robert

Oops. I guess they decided not keep up with the fast dropping rates but the 1 and 2 year CDs are up to date as of the Jan 5.

They have been usually up to date.

Edited by vagabond48

I dont know if you have the option but Credit Unions here give or gave 4% on 12 months which seemed ok.

I used some back in Oct.

I did see today while I was there they are down to 3% now.

For what money I leave with them I like those 12 month deals as it is short & the penalty for early exit is only 1 months interest. So seems ok.