Thai Airways Prices To Oz

Sparkles

I was under the impresion that Thai airways had reduced their domestic and international fares. Throught their web site the price for ONE WAY to Sydney in early March is 29,500 baht. Thats expensive even for a return fare. Are the low fares a myth

30k is quite cheap for a TG airfare to the east coast of Australia.

I flew to Australia last week & then back again this week and the flights were absolutely chokkas both ways....standing room only!

I have spoken to a couple of others who said their flights were the same, so I guess they arnt going to try and sell seat any cheaper, esp when a source told me that many of their flights were overbooked for the next few weeks.

Thai Airways fares have dropped about 20% (compared to this time last year) but I put that down to the removal of the fuel surcharges. A return PER-BKK-PER fare was $AUD1200 in March 2008. In March 2009, they are selling for $AUD960.

As an aside, Tiger Airways are selling PER-BKK-PER for as low as $AUD370. That includes all taxes and charges!!!!

I use Sky Scanner to check airfares before I fly.

Peter

Flights out of thailand to oz are expensive nowadays while out of oz to here they appear not too bad. I've booked chiang Mai - syd- chiang mai with Singapore Airlines for 34,800 baht on the A- 380 ...about 4,000 more than last year. This is cheaper than the scabby Thai airline however and so much better in every respect. I don't have to stop at the grotty, yellow Suwannaphum flying instead direct to friendly Changi Airport where the workers are not horribly underpaid and are polite.

I flew to Australia last week & then back again this week and the flights were absolutely chokkas both ways....standing room only!

I have spoken to a couple of others who said their flights were the same, so I guess they arnt going to try and sell seat any cheaper, esp when a source told me that many of their flights were overbooked for the next few weeks.

To your goodself 30k may appear to be cheap. I am talking one way. If you compare your price with poster NED you are way off.

One reason Thai airways are heavily booked is that most Thai 's refuse to travel on any other airline in the belief that Thai Airway is SAFER.My recent experience with Thai is that the fleet is ageing , the service is questionable and 1 kg over baggage allowance is met with a surcharge. I was also under the impression that fuel was way, way down so why are the savings not being passed on. Might be because Thai Airways are in a diabolical financial mess.

To your goodself 30k may appear to be cheap. I am talking one way. If you compare your price with poster NED you are way off.

One reason Thai airways are heavily booked is that most Thai 's refuse to travel on any other airline in the belief that Thai Airway is SAFER.My recent experience with Thai is that the fleet is ageing , the service is questionable and 1 kg over baggage allowance is met with a surcharge. I was also under the impression that fuel was way, way down so why are the savings not being passed on. Might be because Thai Airways are in a diabolical financial mess.

Sparkles, I think you are taking my comment the wrong way....by saying 30k was cheap for a TG airfare I was trying to suggest that it is normally alot more, although the airfares have dropped recently because my last airfare was about 300 AUD $ dearer(Must be the fuel surcharge being dropped). I actually paid closer to 34k than the 30k, hence my comment that it was cheap. Also the plane was full of chinese people both ways, they were on some type of package tour....they would have to be some of the most ignorant travellers I have ever come across.

I would of done what ned said, however I am a bees dic off getting my gold membership with thai, so I chose to fly with them again. I would most certainly shop around because other airlines are somewhat cheaper than TG, including Emirates & Singapore, not to mention their planes seem to be alot newer than the 10-15 year old 777's that thai is flying on the Sydney/Brisbane route.

I can tell you chap that 30k is not cheap for me & considering I am doing the return trip between 4 & 6 times per year, cost is something that I consider everytime.

I was told that air asia has cheap gold coast to BKK, via KL airfares, costing about half of what thai is charging from BNE to BKK direct, may also be worth a look for those who are watching the pennies.

Sparkles, I think you are taking my comment the wrong way....by saying 30k was cheap for a TG airfare I was trying to suggest that it is normally alot more, although the airfares have dropped recently because my last airfare was about 300 AUD $ dearer(Must be the fuel surcharge being dropped). I actually paid closer to 34k than the 30k, hence my comment that it was cheap. Also the plane was full of chinese people both ways, they were on some type of package tour....they would have to be some of the most ignorant travellers I have ever come across.

I would of done what ned said, however I am a bees dic off getting my gold membership with thai, so I chose to fly with them again. I would most certainly shop around because other airlines are somewhat cheaper than TG, including Emirates & Singapore, not to mention their planes seem to be alot newer than the 10-15 year old 777's that thai is flying on the Sydney/Brisbane route.

I can tell you chap that 30k is not cheap for me & considering I am doing the return trip between 4 & 6 times per year, cost is something that I consider everytime.

I was told that air asia has cheap gold coast to BKK, via KL airfares, costing about half of what thai is charging from BNE to BKK direct, may also be worth a look for those who are watching the pennies.

Air Asia and Tiger are alternatives. Tiger ........Bangkok/Singapore /Perth, 9730 baht inclusive of all taxes on th web site. Geting from Perth to the east coast is a bit of an unknown factor but Virgin Blue and Qantas going head to head.One problem with the low cost carriers anything over the miserable weight limit is heavily surcharged

Sorry if you think I took your post the wrong way but I have flown Thai in the past and the fares were never this high, 28,000 baht return was the most I ever paid. With the dismal Oz dollar its pretty dire. But today I contacted an agent, I use in Aus, and can buy the ticket from there Bangkok/Sydney/Bangkok. If you have some funds in Oz you can pay in Oz dollars and not lose out on currency exchange. Today its 22 baht ot the dollar, it was as high as 32 baht. Waiting for best price

Air Asia and Tiger are alternatives. Tiger ........Bangkok/Singapore /Perth, 9730 baht inclusive of all taxes on th web site. Geting from Perth to the east coast is a bit of an unknown factor but Virgin Blue and Qantas going head to head.One problem with the low cost carriers anything over the miserable weight limit is heavily surcharged

Sorry if you think I took your post the wrong way but I have flown Thai in the past and the fares were never this high, 28,000 baht return was the most I ever paid. With the dismal Oz dollar its pretty dire. But today I contacted an agent, I use in Aus, and can buy the ticket from there Bangkok/Sydney/Bangkok. If you have some funds in Oz you can pay in Oz dollars and not lose out on currency exchange. Today its 22 baht ot the dollar, it was as high as 32 baht. Waiting for best price

i did n't realise you could this(book flight in OZ and pay in aussie dollars)dont suppose you'd give the name of your agent,ive got to go back in august this year.any help appreciated.

^ If you were doing that I am assuming that the flight is starting in Australia. I was under the impression that flights booked there had to commence there.

At this point in time I still have stuff to do in Australia & had originally been travelling on a yearly ticket. The cheapest tickets to buy originating in Oz are 35 day ticket, then 3 month tickets & the most expensive tickets are yearly ones.

This where some of the confusion between our pricing may exist, I have been travelling constantly for the last 3 years approximately & the dearest fare I had return was last july and the latest one I bought last week was about $350 cheaper than that, most of which was the fuel surcharge. It was still more expensive than 30k THB.

I also buy tickets here in Thailand for my GF, but havent done that for nearly a year, her last ticket cost me about 25,000 THB, but it was an under 25's fare & full of painful conditions.

You say sparkles that you are waiting for best price, I hope you mean a good priced air ticket as opposed to the exchange rate because the Aussie Dollar is in for some more pain in the very near furture and unless the thai baht starts to weaken....we may test that old 20 baht to the buck barrier again....happy days!

i did n't realise you could this(book flight in OZ and pay in aussie dollars)dont suppose you'd give the name of your agent,ive got to go back in august this year.any help appreciated.

I use Flight Centre which have branches everywhere. I just have to organise dates before I contact again

^ If you were doing that I am assuming that the flight is starting in Australia. I was under the impression that flights booked there had to commence there.

At this point in time I still have stuff to do in Australia & had originally been travelling on a yearly ticket. The cheapest tickets to buy originating in Oz are 35 day ticket, then 3 month tickets & the most expensive tickets are yearly ones.

This where some of the confusion between our pricing may exist, I have been travelling constantly for the last 3 years approximately & the dearest fare I had return was last july and the latest one I bought last week was about $350 cheaper than that, most of which was the fuel surcharge. It was still more expensive than 30k THB.

I also buy tickets here in Thailand for my GF, but havent done that for nearly a year, her last ticket cost me about 25,000 THB, but it was an under 25's fare & full of painful conditions.

You say sparkles that you are waiting for best price, I hope you mean a good priced air ticket as opposed to the exchange rate because the Aussie Dollar is in for some more pain in the very near furture and unless the thai baht starts to weaken....we may test that old 20 baht to the buck barrier again....happy days!

Well Poster Neds price sems to be the best for me as I live in C Mai and by passing Bangkok would be a bonus. As for the Oz dollar who knows. Some "experts" expect that by new years it wil be back to 70c but the same experts didnt predict the crash so I plav every little faith in them. The Thai baht being so strong is the worlds greatest mystery