Bamboo Tattoos Koh Samui

I'm not a fan of self-mutilation, or otherwise scribbling on your body, but what is the deal with this bamboo tattooing?

This seems to me like wanting to buy a rotary telephone instead of a BlackBerry. Or is this the "Black and white TVs are cooler than color ones" sort of argument?

Seems to me that the end result is what matters, not the method. You don't need to post photos of "wonderful" bamboo-needle tattoos for me, either. There is no question that a skilled artist (I haven't seen anything out of Samui that holds a candle to the kinds of work done in Europe for example -- just look at the tattoo magazines) with a machine is more talented than when he is using a stick and an inkwell.

And I doubt that anyone here is going through some rites of manhood or Maori ritual.

So what's the deal with bamboo? Could not the broken-off car aerial used by the Thai monk in this pic not be just as "cool," or meaningful and just as imprecise?

Bamboo, car aerial, whatever....

I'm not a fan of self-mutilation, or otherwise scribbling on your body, but what is the deal with this bamboo tattooing?

This seems to me like wanting to buy a rotary telephone instead of a BlackBerry. Or is this the "Black and white TVs are cooler than color ones" sort of argument?

Seems to me that the end result is what matters, not the method. You don't need to post photos of "wonderful" bamboo-needle tattoos for me, either. There is no question that a skilled artist (I haven't seen anything out of Samui that holds a candle to the kinds of work done in Europe for example -- just look at the tattoo magazines) with a machine is more talented than when he is using a stick and an inkwell.

And I doubt that anyone here is going through some rites of manhood or Maori ritual.

So what's the deal with bamboo? Could not the broken-off car aerial used by the Thai monk in this pic not be just as "cool," or meaningful and just as imprecise?

Bamboo tattoo, Sak-Yants uniqe to Thailand and Cambodia, in a way.

You should give it a go, who knows you might change your mind =)

So I guess you dont know of any good artist then? No skilled artist in Samui?

Where are the skilled artist then in Thailand, recommendations?

Edited by qwertyyy

Go to Ko Chang, Lonely Beach- One!!!

His shop is called Bamboo Tattoo by One.

the guy is awesome!!!!!!! His work is amazing and so varied, he can do any style from Thai traditional to Rockabilly Americana.

He also trained in the temple for a few years to do Sak Yants.

He has a great website, check it out, lots of examples and a lot of information.

Go to Ko Chang, Lonely Beach- One!!!

His shop is called Bamboo Tattoo by One.

the guy is awesome!!!!!!! His work is amazing and so varied, he can do any style from Thai traditional to Rockabilly Americana.

He also trained in the temple for a few years to do Sak Yants.

He has a great website, check it out, lots of examples and a lot of information.

You do realize this is the Samui forum? :o

• 3 months later...
There is a good bamboo tattoo guy works at Hin Ta Hin yai, he works out of the back of the bar that sits on the small beach in between the two special rocks. Also, its a really cool bar!!

Just saw this topic and even if it´s a rather old one, I have to say, this guy really understands his work. I have seen a couple of his tattoos and they´re fantastic. But I heard a rumour that the Reggae Bar has been closed in April...??? If this is true, somebody might know where the tattoo artist has gone? Simply to know for the next time I will be there

• 2 years later...

the Thai govement are not happy with the Thai bamboo tattoos that have Buda symbols on the forang's body.

They say that Thailand is become a tattoo toursit place and foreigners don't really know the deep meaning behinde the tattoos and are doing it for fashion.

The truth is that the Thai people beleive that there is magic in the tattoos.

I think that they used to use them many years ago when Thai soliders went to war. For extra strength of the Tiger and stuff like that,

They beleive that they are putting the ghost of the tiger into your body to help you fight.

The problem is that the person has to keep their body completly clean.

Basically you have to live like a monk. No drinking, smoking and taking drugs. Or you get a reverse effect and you get a curse and get very bad luck.

I know people choose to beleive or not but i believe if you know that there is some belived to be magic in the tattoos and if you do not know much about it. then why mess with something that u know nothing about.

would anyone here try voodoo here ? neither would i.

there are many other tattoos for fashion but i warn u to tread carefully when dealing in the black arts.

sometimes u have to see to beleive. The problem is that someone i knew was into everything bad that invlved intoxifing his body.

he got the bamboo Buda symbol done. That evening he died in a motor bike crash.

Funny thing is that my misses found out that he has that tattoo and he rang me when it was done. i was not on samui. She told me that she reckoned he would die with his lifestyle mixed with that tattoo.

the next day i could not beleive the phone call i had received. i thought i must have been a joke. sadly it was no joke. R.I.P mate !

I have more even more spooky stories but i'll keep those onces for myself :jap:

Bamboo tattoo, Sak-Yants uniqe to Thailand and Cambodia, in a way.

You should give it a go, who knows you might change your mind =)

So I guess you dont know of any good artist then? No skilled artist in Samui?

Where are the skilled artist then in Thailand, recommendations?

they have them in samui in Lamui but they are proper expensive about 5000 baht and about 600 baht in bangkok. Though u add the price up to get to bangkok and stay there and it works out cheaper here.

though as from my previous post i would not mess with these arts. there is more to it than just a picture when done with bamboo