Incentive For Canadians To Give More

cdnvic

Yesterday the Canadian government announced that they will, on top of already pledged monetary aid, match dollar for dollar all personal donations Canadians make to disaster relief.

So if you give $100, it's as good as giving $200!

Its an opportunity to do alot with your money, so be sure to take advantage of this!

cv

From the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/...aid_123104.html

Business steps up Asian relief donations

Last Updated Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:48:12 EST

TORONTO - Huge numbers of workplaces across Canada have joined the escalating worldwide tsunami relief effort, donating tens of millions of dollars in cash, goods and services.

* INDEPTH: Disaster in Asia

People displaced by the tsunami mourn at a temple in Varichikudi, India. (CP file photo)

As reports grew of the widespread devastation and desperate need in the region hit by Sunday's earthquake and tsunami, businesses big and small stepped up with offers of help.

"We have always been able to count on the generosity of Canadian businesses in emergencies, but the response this time has been unprecedented," said World Vision Canada's Marilyn Freidmann.

Late Friday, Nortel Networks pledged $700,000 US (half from the company and half from its employees) for Southeast Asia relief programs.

Earlier in the day, Air Canada announced it would fly two planeloads of food, cooking utensils, clothing and drugs to Indonesia free of charge. The airline also said its flight attendants on Saturday would begin handing out Red Cross donation envelopes on flights across its entire network.

Pharmaceutical giant Apotex is sending drugs.

Other companies are offering to match donations made by their employees or customers. Best Buy, which operates the Best Buy and Future Shop chains, will match customer donations up to $100,000.

Bell Canada is matching all employee donations up to the end of January and putting up $175,000 as well.

Canada's big banks, in addition to donating a total of $790,000 themselves, are also accepting Red Cross donations at any of their branches. Royal Bank announced Friday it would boost its initial donation of $100,000 to $250,000, offering to match money raised by its employees and customers.

"In light of reports that show the impact of the disaster is far greater than expected, we have decided to increase our support," Royal Bank CEO Gord Nixon said.

TD Bank Financial Group also upped its initial donation of $75,000 to $250,000.

Inco, whose nickel mining operations in Indonesia were not damaged by the tsunami, has donated $540,000 US.

Manulife Financial, which has 5,000 employees in Indonesia (including 120 in the hardest-hit area of the Aceh province on the island of Sumatra), donated $200,000.

"We are committed to helping our people and their respective families overcome this tragedy and will do everything we can to provide them the necessities required at this time – such as food, water, medicine, shelter and clothing," said Manulife Indonesia president John Harrison.

Many companies are acting as conduits for aid donations.

Canadian Tire is collecting money in all 454 of its stores and the company's foundation and its controlling shareholder have chipped in $250,000; Wal-Mart is collecting donations at its 242 Canadian stores, as are Sears Canada, Canada Safeway, sporting goods retailer Forzani Group, and HBC, among others.

HBC is also donating $250,000.

Amazon.ca is using its Canadian website to solicit donations for the Canadian Red Cross. As of noon Friday, it had received 275 gifts totalling $18,000.

Home Hardware will collect money for Southeast Asia relief efforts at all of its more than 1,000 stores across Canada. It's also donating $250,000.

Smaller businesses have come up with a variety of ways to help out.

One inn in Sidney, British Columbia said it will let its guests donate half the cost of their stay to the aid effort and get a tax receipt for the gift. Staff at one Toronto restaurant donated all their tips Thursday to Doctors Without Borders.

Showcase, a chain of 31 gift stores, is donating seven per cent of its sales this weekend. Discount travel operator itravel 2000 said it will donate some of the proceeds from each booking it gets for the next three months and launched the campaign with an initial donation of $5,000.

Organized labour groups have also been active. The Canadian Union of Public Employees has pledged $100,000, while the Canadian Auto Workers has offered $150,000. CAW locals have also chipped in with donations of their own.

Many employees, both unionized and unorganized, are donating time to help in fundraising campaigns at their workplaces.

Written by CBC News Online staff

This story doesn't mention the Candian GOVT matching dollar for dollar (although some companies have matched employee contributions). Can you send the link to the report about the Gov't matching donations?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...Story/National/

meant to add it to the original post

cv

Thanks CV. It's still alittle unclear though which agency one must donate to in order for the 'matching' contribution to kick in. It says 'five' charities..but doesn't name them. Perhaps the govt means all relief donations to all canadian registered charities? Whatever..anyway I'll make a donation to one of the big names on the CBC site. Thanks.

This is from a relative in Canada, a police officer in Ontario working the station desk

"..People are coming into my station and donating money like you would not believe. There is a never ending lineup for donations that range from their Christmas bonuses to a few dollars. I think we accepted $14000.00 today alone. for the Red Cross. It just goes to show you how generous people are when a horrendous thing like this happens.. Even criminals I have known for years have been donating.whatever they can."

In the greater Victoria area so far there's $350,000 raised from 320,000 people... I was shocked, and amazed. Payday I think I'll add to it again.

I think even Mozambiqe, one of the world's poorest countries donated $100,000.

Amid all this terrible suffering the strength of human spirit and compassion amazes me.

cv