Financial Crisis

^ Flying,

Like you, I never believe the gov's statistic on inflation. The use "geometric adjustment" and change the basket of goods to keep the rate lower.

There is no denying inflation now, as the the wheat crops in the Northern China plain will be critical this year to what will happen with the availability of wheat, and the price of it.

Agreed...... I am still in the US & can say prices on common goods/staples has been on a steady rise this last year.

Most can see it with their own eyes so the govt line does little to convince most folks on the street.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midas

• Naam

• flying

• 12DrinkMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Flying,

Like you, I never believe the gov's statistic on inflation. The use "geometric adjustment" and change the basket of goods to keep the rate lower.

There is no denying inflation now, as the the wheat crops in the Northern China plain will be critical this year to what will happen with the availability of wheat, and the price of it.

Agreed...... I am still in the US & can say prices on common goods/staples has been on a steady rise this last year.

Most can see it with their own eyes so the govt line does little to convince most folks on the street.

Then is this an " experiment " ( or desperate action ) by The Bernank that has gone horribly wrong ?

Was his intention to create inflation in assets and in particular real estate because I can't imagine

any sane person wanting to create inflation in food and commodity prices knowing it could ignite a powder

keg of civil unrest ?

Edited by midas

21 February 2011 Last updated at 05:26 GMT

Thai economy emerges from recession as exports pick up

_51347553_010235998-1.jpg

Inflation has hurt consumers' spending power

Thailand's economy has emerged from recession, the latest figures show.

Gross domestic product grew at a quarterly rate of 1.2% in the last three months of 2010, the National Economic and Social Development Board said.

Thailand's economy had contracted by 0.6% during the second quarter and by 0.3% in the third, putting it into a technical recession.

The rebound was helped by a pick up in exports.

Rate pressures

Analysts said that the improving growth figures, coupled with higher food and commodities prices, may put further pressure on the central bank to raise its interest rates.

The Bank of Thailand raised its main cost of borrowing by a quarter of a percentage point to 2.25% last month to curb price rises.

Economists expect the bank to further raise interest rates at its next meeting in March.

The economic expansion in the fourth quarter helped Thailand emerge from a technical recession," said Usara Wilaipich, an economist at Standard Chartered Bank.

"This development should support continuing policy rate normalisation by the central bank, which is expected to hike rates by 25 basis points to 2.5%,"

Story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-12520647

LaoPo

^ Flying,

I'm from the US, and I see the youtube braodcasts on inflation. But I'm interested in what you're seeing go up.

Food? Which foods?

What else?

Thanks, flying.

I'm from the US, and I see the youtube braodcasts on inflation. But I'm interested in what you're seeing go up.

Food? Which foods?

What else?

Thanks, flying.

Well across the board but of course you notice it most on staples ....Milk, Bread, Coffee, Rice etc. But pretty much everything including beef, poultry, candy is silly high too.

Then Fuel........I dont even know how Thai people can drive a car because I remember the prices there followed the US pretty close.

Even Diesel is going up up....

Folks who smoke pay $9-10 a pack now except those who buy that no name brand & they pay $7.50 a pack. Good ciggs like Nate Sherman is $11-12.

It is no wonder there are now over 40 Million USA citizens on food assist...

Food? Which foods?

What else?

Thanks, flying.

Well across the board but of course you notice it most on staples ....Milk, Bread, Coffee, Rice etc. But pretty much everything including beef, poultry, candy is silly high too.

Then Fuel........I dont even know how Thai people can drive a car because I remember the prices there followed the US pretty close.

Even Diesel is going up up....

Folks who smoke pay $9-10 a pack now except those who buy that no name brand & they pay $7.50 a pack. Good ciggs like Nate Sherman is $11-12.

It is no wonder there are now over 40 Million USA citizens on food assist...

Fuel..? You are spoiled.....

I pay € 6,25 per US Gallon or US$ 8.54/Gallon or Baht 260/gallon or Baht 68.7/liter <_< (€ 1,65/liter nowadays).

LaoPo

I pay € 6,25 per US Gallon or US$ 8.54/Gallon or Baht 260/gallon or Baht 68.7/liter <_< (€ 1,65/liter nowadays).

LaoPo

:lol: :lol:

True LaoPo I feel for you folks over there

You know it is only because of the USD reserve currency status & the fact oil is bought in USD

If the US ever loses that pedestal I can only imagine what we will pay.

LaoPo

:lol: :lol:

True LaoPo I feel for you folks over there

You know it is only because of the USD reserve currency status & the fact oil is bought in USD

If the US ever loses that pedestal I can only imagine what we will pay.

Well, I'm not sure about that; of the € 1,65/liter, MORE than € 1,03 goes to taxes.....:(

The political parties have now instructed the government to investigate those ridiculous prices since there's something wrong; the liter prices are higer now than when the oilprices were (a lot) higher.

Or, in other words, we're being screwed, BIG time.

LaoPo

Well, I'm not sure about that; of the € 1,65/liter, MORE than € 1,03 goes to taxes.....:(

Or, in other words, we're being screwed, BIG time.

LaoPo

Well I guess that taxman/screwing is a universal problem ;)

Although you sure do have us beat on the fuel taxes

World must react 'firmly' to Iran navy move: Israel

' Israel on Tuesday urged world powers to respond "firmly" after two Iran warships began sailing through the Suez Canal en route to the Mediterranean, in what the Jewish state says is a provocation.

The two ships entered the canal shortly after dawn and were expected to emerge into the southeastern Mediterranean in the early evening, some 12-14 hours later, a canal official said. '

http://www.zawya.com/Story.cfm/sidANA20110222T093705ZSWA03

I don't think Isreal is going to sit back and let these ships go where they want /

Edited by churchill

' Israel on Tuesday urged world powers to respond "firmly" after two Iran warships began sailing through the Suez Canal en route to the Mediterranean, in what the Jewish state says is a provocation.

The two ships entered the canal shortly after dawn and were expected to emerge into the southeastern Mediterranean in the early evening, some 12-14 hours later, a canal official said. '

I don't think Isreal is going to sit back and let these ships go where they want /

bring it on

gold and silver going up

the financial crisis is still ongoing so dont fret

sometimes things just get a little side tracked

Why is always the " World must react " with these people

:bah:

' Iranian warships now on their way to Syrian ports along the Mediterranean have passed through the Suez Canal at 5 o’clock this morning. The warships carry newly graduate cadets on their first international training mission with their Syrian counterparts in Mediterranean Sea.

Their one-year long training would boost security for commercial vessels including oil-carrying supertankers between Iranian and international ports. The mission also boosts security of Iranian maritime routes from Somali-based pirates often attacking defenseless commercial vessels.'

http://hamsayeh.net/world/380-iranian-warships-passed-through-the-suez-canal-early-today.html

http://www.zawya.com...22T093705ZSWA03

Here are the photos of the 2 "war"/ships there's so much fuzz about; I think even the Navy of Lichtenstein could sink those 2 within a few minutes...

post-13995-0-25154300-1298377149_thumb.j post-13995-0-77911400-1298377161_thumb.jThe Alvand Patrol Frigate

post-13995-0-46776600-1298377318_thumb.j The support ship Kharg*

LaoPo

<_<...In the meantime Banks in my own country are buying -new- shares in IT companies (some of them in heavy seas) which is causing false and dirty competition since you and I can't buy those shares as cheap as the banks can with money they borrow for 0.5%.....

The same banks who were supported with Billions by the governments with tax money from...guess....? :bah:

LaoPo

Ahh....Israel urging *others* to act on its behalf, once again. :bah:

Geither blames Brown for world financial crisis

I said this at the time. All roads lead back to the City of London, which became the biggest global financial centre due to Browns 'light touch' regulation. All the AIG toxic stuff came from their London office.

I can't stand Geitner, he's a prevaricating bastard as far as I'm concerned; but I'm going to have to agree with him here. I would add that most wars America has become involved in lead back to Britain as well.

<_<...In the meantime Banks in my own country are buying -new- shares in IT companies (some of them in heavy seas) which is causing false and dirty competition since you and I can't buy those shares as cheap as the banks can with money they borrow for 0.5%.....

The same banks who were supported with Billions by the governments with tax money from...guess....? :bah:

I think that you have made a small grammatical error in the tense, the banks "are being, and will continue to be" propped up by screwing the tax payers, savers and anybody else holding the respective currency".

As long as they can borrow overnight as much as they want at zero rate from the central banks, this robbery will continue.

Geither blames Brown for world financial crisis

I said this at the time. All roads lead back to the City of London, which became the biggest global financial centre due to Browns 'light touch' regulation. All the AIG toxic stuff came from their London office.

Sure...and The Freddie's and Fanny's; let's not forget ENRON, Bernie Madoff, the Lehman Bros, the demise of the auto industry, the airline bankruptcies, WorldCom, back in 2002...ALL of them are to be blamed to London...financial snobs they are.

Let's not forget the huge deficit...

It's all the fault of London; of course it is.

Mammie....he hit me, it's his fault, not mine....<_<

LaoPo

http://www.zawya.com...22T093705ZSWA03

Here are the photos of the 2 "war"/ships there's so much fuzz about; I think even the Navy of Lichtenstein could sink those 2 within a few minutes...

post-13995-0-25154300-1298377149_thumb.j post-13995-0-77911400-1298377161_thumb.jThe Alvand Patrol Frigate

post-13995-0-46776600-1298377318_thumb.j The support ship Kharg*

LaoPo

But don't let looks deceive :ph34r:

What if they have one or more of these inside that old tub.............. :o

A cruise missile in a shipping box on sale to rogue bidders

Defence experts are warning of a new danger of ballistic weapons proliferation after a Russian company started marketing a cruise missile that can be launched from a shipping container.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/7632543/A-cruise-missile-in-a-shipping-box-on-sale-to-rogue-bidders.html

Anyone listening to Gaddafis speech? Hilarious in its irreverence, yet chilling for Libyans. :unsure:

GeeDaffy the talking Cadaver. I suspect he and his mercenaries won't be around much longer.

Edited by ronz28