Financial Crisis

I read many reports on a daily basis

do you receive our near daily "anal"-reports without problems? i had a few complaints that the "EM-handbook" (distributed january 24) arrived in a number of mailboxes truncated and has to be resent again.

Roger that; mucho "@nal" reports... :P

No problems receiving.

LaoPo :thumbsup:

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midas

• Naam

• flying

• 12DrinkMore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How to be a -consistent- extremely negative @nalyst and make 1500% with a non-investment -but yourself- in just 4 years: :lol:

Roubini’s Best Investment Ever: 1500% Return In Four Years

excerpt:

According to a credible Turkish columnist, Nouriel Roubini charged organizers $10,000 to attend the 2007 Coface Country Risk Conference. This year the conference’s organizers wanted to invite Roubini again, despite his poor track record during the past couple of years. Surprisingly, this time Roubini demanded $150,000 to attend the conference. The man is building his brand, and the most recent development indicates Roubini’s investment in his name-brand reputation returned him 1500% since 2007.

In 2007 Roubini was an unknown, obscure economist with extremely pessimistic views about the markets.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/roubinis-best-investment-ever-1500-return-in-4-years-2011-1#ixzz1CHlP7CsL

LaoPo

What does this mean?

Baltic Dry Index

Normally it means that there is an expectation of weaker global trade expected, especially in bulk resources such as grains and ores. What with the really cheap money available though there is a tremendous surfeit of tonnage at present. That would certainly be one cause of the weakness in the index. Fuel not that cheap either, so I expect some dry bulk operators are operating at a loss and rejigger ship mortgages to help with the cash flow.

post-25601-0-79593500-1296230790_thumb.p

Coverage of protests in Egypt last two days is pretty wild.

Causes...corruption and failing economic policies

I cannot believe the gall of Hillary Clinton & Obama saying Egypt needs

reform.....

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2044923,00.html

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/middle-east/Internet-Shut-Down-as-Egypt-Braces-for-Huge-Protests-114786364.html

Edited by flying

Coverage of protests in Egypt last two days is pretty wild.

corruption and failing economic policies

http://www.time.com/...2044923,00.html

http://www.voanews.c...-114786364.html

Not just corruption and failing economic policy in Egypt either. Look to the Fed's money printing and export of inflation on this one. US printing trillions of dollars will ultimately have the effect of creating thousands of Bin Laden's in these countries being destabilized by the US governments own economic 'policies', if you can call them that.

Not just corruption and failing economic policy in Egypt either. Look to the Fed's money printing and export of inflation on this one. US printing trillions of dollars will ultimately have the effect of creating thousands of Bin Laden's in these countries being destabilized by the US governments own economic 'policies', if you can call them that.

Yes that is partly what I meant about the Gall of Obama & Clinton....

I was just in the process of scheduling a trip there...guess that will have to wait.

But comparing Egypt's massive corruption, poverty, unemployment and virtual police state to US economic policy is well...daft. "Thousands of Bin Landen's"? A bit of exaggeration there, don't you think?

Edit: This just came out in the New York Times:

The grievances are economic, social, historic and deeply personal. Egyptians, like Tunisians, often speak of their dignity, which many said has been wounded by Mr. Mubarak’s monopoly on power, his iron-fisted approach to security and corruption that has been allowed to fester.

Even government allies and insiders have been quick to acknowledge that the protesters have legitimate grievances that need to be addressed.

Worth a read to really understand the problem there:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/world/middleeast/29mubarak.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=globasasa2

I was just in the process of scheduling a trip there...guess that will have to wait.

But comparing Egypt's massive corruption, poverty, unemployment and virtual police state to US economic policy is well...daft. "Thousands of Bin Landen's"? A bit of exaggeration there, don't you think?

Edit: This just came out in the New York Times:

The grievances are economic, social, historic and deeply personal. Egyptians, like Tunisians, often speak of their dignity, which many said has been wounded by Mr. Mubarak’s monopoly on power, his iron-fisted approach to security and corruption that has been allowed to fester.

Even government allies and insiders have been quick to acknowledge that the protesters have legitimate grievances that need to be addressed.

Worth a read to really understand the problem there:

http://www.nytimes.c...&emc=globasasa2

No not really. When about 9% of the average Westerner's income goes on food compared with 60% in developing countries, inflation in basic human needs will have the effect of serious destabilisation and thus even more resentment and breeding grounds for extremism.

This is not going away quickly - I think markets will have a tough time next week - and oil ?

and If the US is involved they have lit a fuse that they won't be able to put out /

Egypt protests: America's secret backing for rebel leaders behind uprising

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8289686/Egypt-protests-Americas-secret-backing-for-rebel-leaders-behind-uprising.html

and not helping the situation ..

Egyptian Police Using U.S.-Made Tear Gas Against Demonstrators

"The way I see it the U.S. administration supports dictators," said Aly Eltayeb, 26, who has participated in the protests since Tuesday

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/egypt-protest-police-us-made-tear-gas-demonstrators/story?id=12785598

I think government change is unavoidable - But who takes over ? What happens on the border with Palenstine ?How does Isreal respond ?Saudi arabia Next ? Suez Canal / /etc --- Too many what if's and so oil / gold / usd up - markets down ?

Protesters back on Egypt streets

Crowds mass in major cities calling for President Mubarak to step down, as death toll from protests crosses 50

'In Alexandria, our correspondent Rawya Rageh reported that dozens of marchers were calling on Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak to step down.

"They are calling for regime change, not cabinet change," Rageh said.

In Suez, Al Jazeera's Jamal ElShayyal reported that protesters were gathering, and that the military was not confronting them.

ElShayyal quoted a military officer as saying that troops would "not fire a single bullet on Egyptians", regardless of where the orders to do so come from.

The latest protests reflected popular discontent with Mubarak's midnight address, where he announced that he was dismissing his government but remaining in power'

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/01/201112974149942894.html

and not helping the situation ..

Egyptian Police Using U.S.-Made Tear Gas Against Demonstrators

"The way I see it the U.S. administration supports dictators," said Aly Eltayeb, 26, who has participated in the protests since Tuesday

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/egypt-protest-police-us-made-tear-gas-demonstrators/story?id=12785598

yeah it is a disgrace

I hope they freely elect another Hamas style government in Egypt and

they totally open up the border to Gaza :lol:

China worried !!! ??

Egypt banished from Chinese Twitter

http://english.aljaz...1712140318.html

Hmmm...I just got the follwing info from China: 埃及政府宣布解散,士兵拒绝开枪. which means more or less: Egyptian government has announced that it will dismiss soldiers who refuse to shoot at their own people. :ph34r:

So, the ban on news about Egypt is not that tight apparently.

But of course Beijing is scared to death if something similar would happen in the streets of China.

The difference is that China was completely locked and only opened up since some 20 years and people noticed that with hard work they could reach a certain (still relatively small) kind of luxury they never enjoyed before.

But, in China there's work and future whilst 80 million Egyptians are still poor; more than 40% of the population live of less than $ 2/day.

Of course, in numbers there are many more in China although the % of below poverty is lower, but most of them are on the countryside and have children, working in the cities and sending money home.

But, in the future it wouldn't surprise me if something similar could happen in China too, but God forbid because such an uproar in such a huge country could implode the whole -economical and financial- world....:(

On the other hand, the Soviet Union collapsed also at a stage nobody expected it.

LaoPo

Hmmm...I just got the follwing info from China: 埃及政府宣布解散,士兵拒绝开枪. which means more or less: Egyptian government has announced that it will dismiss soldiers who refuse to shoot at their own people. :ph34r:

On the other hand, the Soviet Union collapsed also at a stage nobody expected it.

LaoPo

Yes some folks ( mainly foreigners? ) who have blackberry connectivity etc. do have some ability to still communicate with the outside.

This was reported here in the US by one person reporting.

Also we have a lot of video & still footage on television here in the USA so there must be the ability to transfer.

What you say about the USSR I have heard the same.

Meaning when a *final* collapse does occurs it can in fact be quite swift. I do not know if those in the USSR would say nobody expected it though. But again the speed of the finale was probably shocking to all.

Edited by flying

LaoPo

Yes some folks ( mainly foreigners? ) who have blackberry connectivity etc. do have some ability to still communicate with the outside.

This was reported here in the US by one person reporting.

Also we have a lot of video & still footage on television here in the USA so there must be the ability to transfer.

Actually, the one I was talking about/to is Chinese (living and working in China and never been abroad) and I asked him if he could check the word "Egypt" and his answer was above; that doesn't mean that all info is freely available of course, but he's fierce anti-Beijing so to speak so he was quite open to me; as a matter of fact I have urged him before to stay low profile if you know what I mean. Big Brother is watching you..also in China.

LaoPo

Jan 28 (Reuters) - The United States has given Egypt an average of $2 billion annually since 1979, much of it military aid, according to the Congressional Research Service. The combined total makes Egypt the second largest recipient of U.S. aid after Israel.

So let me get this straight USA selling arms to both sides

Egypt (corrupt as it is) channels a lot of this in tunnels into neighboring countries

Looks like a win win for the USA

Gold will go up

Jan 28 (Reuters) - The United States has given Egypt an average of $2 billion annually since 1979, much of it military aid, according to the Congressional Research Service. The combined total makes Egypt the second largest recipient of U.S. aid after Israel.

Egypt (corrupt as it is) channels a lot of this in tunnels into neighboring countries

Recently new Senator Rand Paul ( son of congressman Ron Paul ) introduced a proposed spending cut of $500 Billion for next year.

While not specifically mentioning it in the proposal...later in a CNN interview he also mentioned cutting the 3 Billion that goes to Israel. Stating rightfully that we do not have it to give.

Of course he got slammed for it by The Republican Jewish Coalition . I would love to see it go to a vote anyway.

Because he is correct. The US needs to tend to the problems at home & stop this funding of various puppets.

If not we will see how far this rubber band can stretch before it snaps.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u-s-democrats-and-pro-israel-lobbies-slam-republican-senator-s-call-to-halt-israel-aid-1.339662

The example you gave above is just one.

The US also recently provided Taiwan with weaponry including access to key advanced aviation technology.

Cannot help but wonder what the large US debt holder China thought about that one.

Edited by flying

Recently new Senator Rand Paul ( son of congressman Ron Paul ) introduced a proposed spending cut of $500 Billion for next year.

While not specifically mentioning it in the proposal...later in a CNN interview he also mentioned cutting the 3 Billion that goes to Israel. Stating rightfully that we do not have it to give.

Of course he got slammed for it by The Republican Jewish Coalition . I would love to see it go to a vote anyway.

Because he is correct. The US needs to tend to the problems at home & stop this funding of various puppets.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u-s-democrats-and-pro-israel-lobbies-slam-republican-senator-s-call-to-halt-israel-aid-1.339662

The US also recently provided Taiwan with weaponry including access to key advanced aviation technology.

Cannot help but wonder what the large US debt holder China thought about that one.

Many American's are all for cutting back on aid for foreign countries. But it is political, as you have pointed out.

Regarding Taiwan, it wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the US support. It would be part of China. We can argue whether or not that would be a good thing, but alas...that's another thread! :lol:

Many American's are all for cutting back on aid for foreign countries. But it is political, as you have pointed out.

Regarding Taiwan, it wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the US support. It would be part of China. We can argue whether or not that would be a good thing, but alas...that's another thread! :lol:

But as an American Craig how would it affect your lifestyle tommorow if suddenly USA said no more aid

to countries like Egypt ? I would like to suggest it would have a far bigger impact on another

much smaller country that has been pulling the strings in the background :ph34r: ( but they cannot be named - but Herr Nam will tell you who :lol: .) But why should American citizens

pay for that ?

but alas...that's another thread also!

Edited by midas

But as an American Craig how would it affect your lifestyle tommorow if suddenly USA said no more aid

to countries like Egypt ? I would like to suggest it would have a far bigger impact on another

much smaller country that has been pulling the strings in the background :ph34r: ( but they cannot be named - but Herr Nam will tell you who :lol: .) But why should American citizens

pay for that ?

but alas...that's another thread also!

It's a mess for sure. One reason I would NEVER want to be a politician!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

True Craig & like you said it is political & out of the hands of we the people....surprisingly :D

As for Taiwan yes top of my head I will agree but.......Who is really to say which is better for Taiwan? The US or China?

Sadly we are biased so hard to say. But I also marvel at the pollution & smoke stacks I see when in Taipei

I know many of these are US refugee companies driven out of the US by the EPA set to protect Americans from pollution while they manufacture things that produce many toxins. So they left & set up shop there. So while it is too dangerous for Americans it can now pollute Taiwan while providing goods for the US? Yes I know Taiwan may be happy to oblige for dollars but wonder if future generations will be as thankful.

Not that China would do any different there but it would be their conscious not ours.

As you said another topic but.........The main reason I mentioned it is....China is our largest creditor no?

Edited by flying

True Craig & like you said it is political & out of the hands of we the people....surprisingly :D

As for Taiwan yes top of my head I will agree but.......Who is really to say which is better for Taiwan? The US or China?

Sadly we are biased so hard to say. But I also marvel at the pollution & smoke stacks I see when in Taipei

I know many of these are US refugee companies driven out of the US by the EPA set to protect Americans from pollution while they manufacture things that produce many toxins. So they left & set up shop there. So while it is too dangerous for Americans it can now pollute Taiwan while providing goods for the US? Yes I know Taiwan may be happy to oblige for dollars but wonder if future generations will be as thankful.

Not that China would do any different there but it would be their conscious not ours.

As you said another topic but.........The main reason I mentioned it is....China is our largest creditor no?

I hear ya....kinda like Thailand moving factories from Rayong over to Myanmar??? Many are Japanese, if I am not mistaken...you should read about what they are doing in Myanmar to the locals there. Horrible.

Looks like the revolt against long term rulers is spreading to Saudi now. Here is video from Jeddah on Friday. Click on translate.

Fill up your gas tanks, etc. I feel an oil price spike is near.

Seems contagious. If this happens, oil will spike for sure, which for sure won't help the current financial crisis!!!!!